Brisas Del Mar

Eva Samano de Lopez Mateos s/n, Playa La Madera, Zihuatanejo, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, Mexico

Aura del Mar Hotel
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

• WBeall's Profile Photo

Georgous

It was November of 2010 and it was my parents 30th anniversary, my mother thought she was going to visit my ranch in Texas. The morning she got up to leave my dad told her plans have changed, instead we will be flying somewhere but it is going to be warm and on a beach. She still thought Steven and I were at our ranch. Her and my father arrived into San Diego and spent the night in the downtown area while Steven and I were also in San Diego staying in an entire different part so there were no chances of us running into each other. The next day Steven and I were one of the first passengers to board the Cruise and we got settled into our room. As we sat on our balcony watching the passengers aboard the boat, we saw them! (My mother still has no idea we would be on the boat as well.) When they arrived into their room we knocked at the door and surprised her! She was so happy. We had three stops on this cruse; Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, and Manzanilla. When we arrived into Zihuatanejo, my sister and her husband surprised all of us! They were staying at the Hotel Brisas del mar for the weekend and it happened that the day we were in Zihuatanejo it was on my parent’s anniversary.

Now, I did not stay in this hotel but my Sister and her husband talked so much about it that I thought it needed a good vote from me. They enjoyed there entre stay at this hotel and they loved everything about it. I did get to spend the day at the hotel and swim in the really neat pool with a slide. (my inner kid came out) We even had a staff member take family portraits of our family from the balcony. We had the most amazing day and this hotel made it that way.

Unique Quality: Hotel Brisas Del Mar is ocean front, it has a beautiful pool with a water slide, every room has a balcony with a hammock, and a hot tub. They are very close to Playa La Ropa which is a really nice beach with boats for rent and lots of bars. They beach in front of the hotel is very nice and everything is a short walk into the middle of town. We walked to their hotel from the cruise boat.

More about Brisas Del Mar

Great place!

by TripAdvisor Member Rollingstone

The truth is we made the reservation months ago and I was so much looking forward to the trip that I checked every now and then this page to read wonderful thing about Hotel Brisas del mar. It was a shock to see the bad reviews... We cancelled our reservation but they were so easy and nice about it that we changed our mind and decided to go.
The hotel is beautiful, if you are looking for authentic Mexican charm this is the perfect place for you, if you want hotel industry rooms like Marriot or Sheraton do not go to Brisas del Mar... it is not the place for you and I understand it could be a horrible disappointment because the place was not made by a huge construction company and international architects and it shows.
If you are looking for a unique place with character and a feeling of tradition, Brisas del Mar is perfect. It has a homely feeling about it.
The service cannot be more accommodating, the pool was always clean, and the restaurant pretty good, the beach was very nice with palapas and lounge chairs. The rooms are lovely, comfortable and spacious with an amazing view and a terrace.
My only complain would be the Gym… but we use to take a walk every morning to playa la Ropa or to town and back and had our exercise.

Great Little, Cozy Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member lotsofbites

Great and cozy hotel! You just can't beat the price anywhere. The staff is very nice and helpful. I had no problems communicating with them at all. And to the person who said bring an interpreter.......PLEASE!! You are in MEXICO!!! People there speak Spanish!

I travel the world and am used to the Four Seasons, Hilton Diamond VIP treatment, and love my fair share of nice B&Bs. I always bump into people who can't speak english at smaller hotels that are not geared toward business people or little hotels that are less than $275 per night.....France, Italy, Brazil, Chile, Germany, etc. As a very experienced traveler, it is very useful to go on any trip prepared. Before you arrive to your destination, always come with your list of restaurants, places to go, etc. And also bring a little english-(whatever language you need) dictionary with phenetic pronunciations as well. Any trip is much better when planned a little in advance. You can even just bring a little light travel book and look at it on the plane.

It was my second time to Zihuatanejo. I have stayed at 5 hotels there total: Villa Del Sol (lovely), Casa Don Francisco (lovely), Las Brisas in Ixtapa (nice resort, gross rooms), Brisas del Mar (lovely) and Quinta Troppo (lovely), I also looked at Villa Carolina because it was right next door to Quinta Troppo, the rooms looked verly lovely too. Brisas del Mar is my favorite hotel for the price. You really just can't beat it. The rooms are clean, cute, have A/C and every room has an oceanview since the hotel is beachfront to Playa Madera, so you can fall asleep and wake up to the sound of the ocean waves...ahhhhhhhh. It is also nice, quiet and calm. Good for couples and nice families.

Brisas del Mar has a great pool. The restaurant is good for breakfast and a beachfront drink and snack. But for lunch or dinner (this is why I gave Brisas del Mar a 4-dot rating and not 5-dots), the restaurant is not that good in my opinion. Besides, there are plenty of lovely restaurants around town that you would want to explore anyway: Sirena Gorda, Il Mare, Kau Kan, Villa De La Selva (best food in Ixtapa/Zihua in my book, next is Kau Kan), and then La Perla and Paty's for a nice beachfront meal. Coconuts in downtown Zihua was not open when I was there, they were closed for one month for their annual "Summer vacation" I guess, but I've heard it is very good.

Another tidbit of advice for those coming to Zihua. Bring some bugspray for the evenings while you go out and about. I got bitten by mosquitos and no-seeums. A spray bottle of "OFF!" will do the trick.

Overall, I would most certainly stay at Brisas del Mar again and I would definitely come back to Zihua. I have never said that about any town in Mexico that I have visited.......until Zihua.....have fun! =)

Great place to stay in Zihua!!

If your vacation budget is not in the Villa del Sol or La Casa Que Canta range, but you want a nice place to stay in Zihua, stay at the Brisas del Mar!!

This is a very clean hotel with great Spanish decor throughout the hotel: beautiful plants, cute knicknacks, great tiles, well done lighting, etc. When we were there we stayed in a newer room (approximately $125/night during the high season -- that was a few years ago, maybe all of the rooms have been upgraded now), which had a great air conditioning system (a MUST in Zihua, make sure your room has air conditioning).

Gorgeous views from our patio... Great swimming pool with a slide... We will DEFINITELY go back there again!

Fantastic

I just returned from a trip to Zihuatanejo where we stayed at the Brisas Del Mar (Sept. 3 - Sept. 9th). The staff and the rooms were fantastic. My girlfriend and I stayed in a Zihua suite which was beautiful. The staff was extremely friendly and very helpful. The view from our private deck and hot tub was unbelievable. Because it was the slow season we were virtually the only ones at the pool and at the beach but still had great service. I have to disagree with the previous two posters who were disappointed. Our air conditioning worked great and we found no problem with the little construction that was going on. We barely even noticed it and we were sitting at the pool a great deal of the time which is close to where the construction is being done. The only negative I have about the hotel is that the restaurant is not great. It really didn't matter though since the majority of the time we ate at great restaurants like Il Mare which are within walking distance or a $2 cab ride.

I have nothing but great things to say about this hoel and will definitely be returning!

Beautiful Mexican Motel...wonderful staff...

by TripAdvisor Member Pauliboi

After reading some recent reviews of this hotel I was almost pursuaded to re-book my wife's and my week long stay at the Brisas Del Mar..and am very happy we didn't. This hotel to me is like a beautiful piece of Mexican sculpture, a very organic design that fits like a glove into its hillside surroundings. We had booked the Master Suite and were very pleased with our choice. The views are excellent, everything worked, and the added touch of fresh flowers on the bed added to the romantic feel of our room. Being able to soak in your own private hot tub with the sound of waves crashing on the beach below every evening is hard to describe. The staff here are wonderful, full of smiles, and make a great effort to help you enjoy your stay. This was our first visit to a truly Mexican town but fortunately we had done our homework, had realistic expectations, and a desire to taste,see and feel the true Mexico. Our stay was enlightening and relaxing, we cannot wait to return!

If you're looking for friendly, local color - this is it!

by TripAdvisor Member Lupita_U

I stayed at Hotel Brisas del Mar in late October/early November of 2004 and would stay there again in a second. I loved it.

I stayed in the Bahia Suite and it was great. I was there on my own, but it could easily accomodate several people as it is a really big room. My balcony was fantastic and I spent every night in my jacuzzi and/or in my hammock. The views from my room were gorgeous.

If you're the type of person who likes a big, fancy American-ized hotel - don't bother. If you want to be in a sealed, bland room and watch TV - go to a big corporate resort in Ixtapa. If you want to experience Mexico, try a place like this.

This is a fun, funky FRIENDLY place where the employees know who you are. (I had friends who were staying at another hotel stop to see me, and the people at the front desk KNEW where I was! They let my friends know I was down at the beach because they'd seen me walk down!)

I loved Playa Madera. It's a smaller beach, but when I was there it was virtually deserted in the morning (on several mornings I was the ONLY person on the beach) and in the afternoons it was primarily locals, not tourists, who were there.

The hotel is family-owned and every employee I dealt with was so nice I couldn't believe it. From my initial e-mail asking about availability to the last day of my stay - this was a great experience.

Playa Madera polluted

by TripAdvisor Member jen6262

It really doesn't matter that the Brisas del Mar has some significant problems, because Playa La Madera is a polluted, stinking mess. About 1/4 mile due east of the beach, there is an enormous sewage canal dumping directly into the ocean at Playa Principal. Just take a walk along that "scenic" path into town and you can't miss the canal; you will walk right over it. That isn't just an "oh well, that's Mexico for you" smell; that's sewage, and everyone whose livlihood is being threatened is upset. I had one taxi driver beg me three times to make sure I posted something about this online. That's why the hotel's cement slabs that the mattresses rest on, the frayed towels, the peeling stucco in the rooms, the toilet paper used to chink around the windows and doors where the stucco had come out, the bugs and lizards in the room (where were those mosquito nets?)etc - don't really matter. But one more thing, if you do decide in the face of this to actually visit this hotel, understand that reservations and down payments mean nothing. We had to wait three days to get into our reserved Zihua suite, because they had upgraded someone else into our reserved suite. We only stayed because they gave us a significant price break for our entire 10 day stay, then upgraded us into the 280.00 per night Noyoltzi suite 5 days into the vacation. The day before we were to leave I watched a large group have the same conversation I had on our first day - "Get whoever is in our reserved suite out, we are not staying in another room; we've had this suite reserved for 9 months etc. Guess which suite they had reserved? We were nice enough to move again, on our last night, to allow the group to have the Noyoltzi they had reserved. And I told them I wouldn't pay for our last night. Also, the construction is intrusive and made sitting at the pool really noisy, and the pool was our only option at the hotel because I wouldn't set foot in the water at Madera, and neither should you. That said, the hotel's public spaces are really pretty, with a kind of ramshackle charm, but that doesn't make the beach any cleaner.

After reading the reviews, I was shocked.

I booked "the family suite" at the Brisas del Mar after reading the lovely reviews on this site. My wife and I were looking forward to staying in this lovely, old-style Mexican hotel with our twin 8 year old boys. My first clue should have been when we talked, on the plane, to an american couple, that have owned a house near the marina in Zihua for over 30 years, who acted like they had never heard of the hotel. Reviews in hand, I said to myself: "Why would they know about a hotel, they've lived, in a house "in-town", off and on for 30 years? They don't need a hotel." Passing the razor wire on the way to the hotel didn't bother me. This is Mexico, afterall. Waiting for three, count-em, three water trucks to finish unloading water in front of the hotel before we could drive up didn't bother me. The taxi driver said that they brought water from the river a few miles away...much cheaper than having a water processing system or municipal lines... no worries, and the fact that we couldn't get by the trucks just added to the ambience. After all, we were looking for quaint and a dead-end street meant no traffic to listen to as we relished our ocean view. As we went inside, we were met by the very friendly staff and were impressed by the pretty and quaint lobby area. I thought, this is everything that the reviews said it would be. I couldn't wait to look at the ocean, so I walked through the lobby to the lounge area and looked out. It was lovely, just as I expected, once I looked past the broken concrete and rebar from the demolition of the lower part of the hotel. I just knew my boys would love walking through that on the way to the beach. I looked at the pool, which was in horrible shape, and believe it or not, I was still convinced that this was going to work. I have enjoyed stays in all kinds of accomodations. My only requirement is that it is reasonably clean. Our room was not. The smell of mold was overpowering and our air conditioning did not work. We were in one of the largest rooms and the repairman they sent said that we had the smallest a/c unit and, after working for 30 minutes on the unit said that it was fixed, but it would not "really work". I was on my way to check into changing rooms when I was met by another guest who asked, you guessed it: "Hey, does your a/c work?" I laughed and told him that I was going to check out. Before I could get there, I ran into another guest who said that their a/c didn't work either and that the beach was so-so but compared to the "real pit" they were staying in just the night before for $10 more a night, that this didn't seem so bad. I wished him well on our way to the Barcelo.
I am convinced that the reviews here must have been written by employees, because there is no way anybody else could write such nonsense.

Disappointed

My wife and I stayed at this hotel Aug.13 - 20, 2005. First let me give all the good points. The staff is very friendly and even helped me to get a better deal on a rent a car. The view from the room patio is excellent. After that, there are many negatives. There are too many stairs (75 or so) to get to the beach. Madera Beach is pretty lame compared to La Ropa and Las Gatas beach. The pool is pretty beat up and it is hard to get waiter service from the restaurant the next level down. The cable TV I believe is pirated and worked but with several glitches. The beds are way too hard and are also too short. Overall I wished I had stayed at home and slept in my own bed. The restaurant food is quite average.

Great Experience

by TripAdvisor Member C.Hendon

My husband and I originally planned to spend 1 night at this hotel, but had such a positive experience that we ended up extending for 2 additional nights. The off-season fare was great value (and we beat the crowds). From start to finish we had nothing but a good time. The staff was professional and upgraded our room upon our extension--without extra cost. It is right on Madera Beach with around 29 rooms situated on different levels and connected by stairs that wind down past the pool to the restaurant and beach (there are palapas and lounge chairs available for guests). The rooms were colorfully decorated (beds were a bit hard) with great views and balconies with lounge chairs and a hammock. AC, cable (kind of patchy in 2nd room), bathtubs, refrigerators in each room. Other recent reviews on this site complained that the pool was in terrible condition, however our experience was that the pool was immaculate--and a perfect area for lounging and sunning. Security was quite comforting--with a security guard watching the parking/entrance area and personal safes in each room.
While Madera Beach is smaller and less impressive than Playa Ropa, its location is more convenient if you have any interest in exploring the town. It is at the end of the promenade that leads into town.
We very much enjoyed the hotel restaurant--Bistro del Mar. The tables are arranged under an arching canvas structure that allows for open-air dining and great views. The food was quite imaginative and flavorful as well, I particularly enjoyed the tomato, goat cheese and avocado salad and my husband enjoyed the chipoltle shrimp tacos. The other guests included honeymooners, retirees, a group of loud college-aged kids and a young family--and everyone seemed to be having a great time.

Comments