Calle Playa Aeropuerto, Zihuatanejo, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, 40880, Mexico
Hotels.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

More about Hotel Las Palmas

Paradise on the Beach

by TripAdvisor Member Lora29

This review is long over do. In March-06, my now husband and I were married at Hotel Las Palmas. The experience was incredible from start to finish. My girlfriends and I arrived first and were greeted by an amazing staff with incredible Margaritas! The hotel itself is so unique and quaint . The grounds are beautiful and you feel as if you have the entire beach to yourself-There was
not any on lookers during our beautiful beach ceremony with the exception of our guests and a few Dolphins!The food at the hotel was fabulous and fresh. We also spent a few days at the Amuleto which was very special , however, there was no comparison to the staff at Hotel Las Palmas-we truly missed them. Shari and Scott-thank you again for making the experience memorable-You guys rocked!
We all were dog lovers-Pistola and Paloma-kisses and belly rubs to you-You 2 made are stay special. We hope to be back again.

Thanks for everthing,
Shane and Lora
Chicago,Il

A little slice of paradise

by TripAdvisor Member SLOCAR

Oh where to start....
There are so many good things to say about Hotel Las Palmas.
First it is truly a slice of Paradise.
We only had a short stay here and were so sorry when we had to leave to another much more expensive hotel in Zihuatanejo. We know now that we wouldn't even look at another hotel. This is the best! The most amazing thing about Hotel Las Palmas is how you walk through the entry feeling like a stranger and leave feeling like you have left old frineds behind. That is exactly what it is like, you are staying at a good friends beautiful beachfront estate. The grounds are so amazing and the beach is wonderful for long romantic walks. Our room was so comfortable, quiet and private we really could not have asked for more. As for the food, a great breakfast every morning (Which is included) and very good dinners too. We do also recommend the Chile Rellenos, Outstanding!!
We had dinner in town also but we think there really is no need to leave as the food was just as good if not better at the Hotel.
And finally we can't end this review without saying how wonderful the Owners Shari and Scott and there amazing staff are.
From the forever smiling faces of the staff and there unending great service to the great laughs with Shari. The hospitality was outstanding!
Thank you all for a wonderful vacation!!!!

Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member coastcat

The only thing it was missing was that old wooden shell of a sailboat, from the movie Shawshank Redemption. Because Andy and Red were there, at least in spirit. Hotel Las Palmas, on Playa Blanca in Zihuatanejo near the airport, is Paradise. My stay (4/1-4/6) was memorable. The fattest chili relleno I have seen, stuffed with sweet shrimp and manchego cheese. The baby gecko that I had to coax out of my room onto my patio, so as to avoid stepping on him. A morning walk (four miles, about 75 mins, tired by end) to Barra de Potisi, which supposedly the Zihua of old (it is very rustic, but amazingly is home to a compound owned by dress designer Betsey Johnson, the staff of which occasionally have to chase away the few admiring spring breakers who make it to the village). The waves coming ashore... they were much louder than I had expected, especially at night. Having done a bit of boogie boarding San Diego, I had to try it here (and the staff had a board, but made you sign a waiver). The waves felt very powerful and the tides tricky (at least to me), so I was content to catch just two decent waves. The margaritas. Of course. Oran is the master. He could mix a good one with a blindfold on... but every margarita I had was delicious (including those made by the other staff members). My best memory is really of the people. Ricardo and Josephina were amazingly friendly and gracious hosts (Scott and Shari were in states so I didn't get to meet them). Ricardo even took me along on a supply run, one day, to the local market... limes were $29 pesos/kilogram, if you are curious. This is definitely a place for couples, although I went solo to sample it, relax, read etc. The hotel was full the entire I was there, and I felt fortunate to be asked to join many of the couples (including a trio of couples from Minnesota) for dinner and happy drinks. Friendly, cool people all around. I will definitely return to Hotel Las Palmas

A Very Special and Memorable Experience

by TripAdvisor Member Austin_PolitiGal

My husband and I were recently married at Hotel Las Palmas in November 2006. This review is long overdue, because our experience was so exceptional and memorable! We had planned our wedding for many months, and all the attention that Shari, the owner, and Josefina, her fabulous manager, afforded us was simply stellar. Everything we had hoped for became a reality at this gorgeous little hotel in the middle of the beautiful and secleded Playa Blanca.

When the taxi pulled up to the gorgeously manicured entrance of Hotel Las Palmas, I was floored. No picture can capture the true beauty that you experience when you are actually there, I assure you! We were greeted warmly by Josefina and Ricardo, who helped to get us settled and quenched with a fresh margarita. Although my darling husband was held back in the US for one night, I must admit that I still enjoyed my first evening in this amazing place. With the wedding just a few days away, and my husband working out passport difficulties, you would think I was stressed to the core. However, Josefina is such a phenomenal hostess that I was totally at ease. I just cannot say enough kind words about her; she is professional, friendly, funny, calm under pressure, stylish, thoughtful, and thorough. The days leading up to the wedding were very enjoyable for us thanks to her and all the excellent staff at Las Palmas.

On Day 2, all the family and friends started arriving. The whole wedding party stayed at Las Palmas, and I think I can say with certainty that all were impressed and happy with our location choice! My husband did finally arrive, unfortunately his luggage did not - but not to worry, Josefina took care of it and after we returned from town that evening, it was in our room.

The breakfast that is included in the rate is nothing short of scrumptious! Every morning breakfast starts with a fresh fruit plate, juice, and coffee, and your choice of several delicious options. Our favorites were the chilaquiles, the omelettes, and the french toast. Absolutely divine. Lunch at Las Palmas is just as good. After a day on the beach or lounging by the pool, the shrimp tacos and quesadillas really hit the spot. Be sure to try the guacamole, it is dee-lish.

The wedding day finally arrived, and the hotel was whipped into a frenzy of activity. Josefina had all the staff cleaning the already spotless grounds, while decorations and flowers were going up and tempting smells were wafting from the kitchen. Unfortunately for us, an unexpected guest had arrived the day before - Hurricane Sergio made landfall north of Zihua just in time for our wedding! As I said, Josefina is calm under the most uncontrollable pressure (in our case, the weather) and she immediately steered the activity in the direction of Plan B. Instead of having our ceremony on the beach, she set up a gorgeous altar under the entrance to the hotel and ta-da! the wedding was saved. With a few creative alternatives to our original plan, we still had a gorgeous wedding and fantastic reception under the big palapa and no one ever knew the difference!

It was a truly memorable night, and all the details that Josefina and Shari helped put together (including flowers, the food, the wedding cake, and decorations) made it truly magical. I can't tell you how many times I think about that meal - salad, tortilla soup with a hint of seafood in the broth, the shrimp and cheese stuffed chile rellenos, and our beautiful cake! Honestly I've never had better food anywhere in Mexico. We will never forget it!

There are so many great things about Hotel Las Palmas - the secluded beach, the beautifully decorated rooms, the gorgeous views, the friendly animals (dogs Paloma, Pistolo, cats Bandido and Kitty-Kitty), the amazing food, the potent margaritas, the delicious Sangria, the relaxing pool...I could go on forever. But what we think is truly special about Las Palmas is the staff. We will never forget the level of service and attention we got from Josefina, Ricardo, Oran, Jeronimo, and all the rest of the staff. Shari, the owner, (who we finally met just after the wedding but got to know well before that through our email correspondence) was welcoming and accomodating and a lot of fun to be around. We felt like we made a whole new group of friends, and were sad when it was time to leave.

I highly recommend Hotel Las Palmas to everyone - we will be back, without a doubt!!!

Smashing Honeymoon!!

by TripAdvisor Member Rugbytrauma

My wife and I were married in Acapulco and came to Zihuatanejo by bus to stay at Hotel Las Palmas. Though the local taxi guys had a pretty big argument about where the place actually was, we made it to the Hotel without a hitch.

THIS PLACE IS UNBELIEVEABLE!

There are six rooms or so, they serve amazing food (the best Chiles Rellenos my wife has had, and she is from Mexico city!), and the drinks are outstanding. There is a great little pool, and boogieboards to use out on the beach, which we loved... but warning- the surf is pretty tough! We borrowed bikes to go to Barras de Potosi, about three miles down the beach, where we went kayaking in the lagoon for half a day, and otherwise just watched the sea. The staff are courteous and friendly, and the room was perfect. The only negative would be that if you wanted to go into Zihua (much more of a tourist trap now than what I remembered) it was a long haul, but believe me... there wasn't any reason to. We are definitely going back ASAP for another relaxing week...

The perfect beach retreat!

by TripAdvisor Member CER1

This was our first visit to the Zihua area and we really didn't know what to expect. We spent the first part of the week in town at the Brisas del Mar ( which we really liked alot), then on Saturday moved out to The Hotel Las Palmas on Playa Blanca. What a wonderful place! We were greeted by Josephina and a beautiful ocean view. It was early and our rooms weren't ready yet, so after taking care of the paperwork, we were seated at a table with some potent Margaritas. I can't even begin to describe the architecture and decoration, but the place is absolutely beautiful. Mexican beach ambiance at it's best! My husband and I were in room 4, which we loved. It was an end room and had a canopy bed with mosquito netting, high thatched ceilings and a great open air (but screened) bathroom. There was ample closet space, air conditioning and a neat little remote control cd player.
After settling in I was shortly lulled to sleep in the hammock on our patio by the sound of the waves.
The owners Shari and Scott, Josephina, Oran ,Jero,and the entire staff was just fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble. When my husband mentioned that the hard Mexican beds were bothering his back, an eggcrate mattress was promptly placed on the bed. The staff always remembered our names and what we liked. The breakfasts (which were included in the room rate), started with fresh squeezed juice and a fruit plate and were delicious. All the food and drinks were good we were surprised at the end of our stay by how little it all cost.
Shari gave us a ride to Barra de Potosi for horseback riding one day, and into town for a fishing trip at 5:30 in the morning! She even picked up a bottle of Tequila for me when she went to market, to give my petsitter back home. The dogs and kitties were friendly and kept us from missing our pets at home so much!
It's a beautiful relaxing place and I only wish our stay had been longer. I was really sad to leave, but we'll definitely return!

Our beautiful Honeymoon

by TripAdvisor Member JCrump

After 14 months of planning our wedding, Hotel Las Palmas was the perfect spot to unwind and celebrate our marriage. We arrived on Monday, 11/13/06 and stayed through Friday. I can't say anything original about the staff, Sherrie, Pistolo, etc. because everyone else has had the same wonderful experience. What I can add is that we were stressed and tense when we arrived and after just one evening (and several margaritas) we were able to sit and do nothing. Think about how hard that is to do in your real life!

Drinks and snacks appeared at a moment's notice, towels were laid out by the pool, the rooms were cleaned beautifuly just in time for our afternoon siestas. We made friends with the other two couples at the hotel and we shared meals, drinks, and puppy time with them almost every day.

On Friday, we moved into Zihua to a much larger, fancier hotel. It was lovely, but when we come back we'll be going back to Las Palmas. It truly feels like you're staying at a friend's house who just happens to have a full time kitchen and staff. It's a totally sweet deal, particularly if you don't like huge resorts with people everywhere. This is a venue for relaxation-and if you are looking for excitement and nightlife, keep looking. The hotel has six rooms and is THE only place on the whole beach. There are no other hotels anywhere on this beach-not parasailing or jetskis. Choose this hotel if you want to wake up and eat a pheomenal breakfast, go for a long walk on the beach (you won't run into a single soul!) then plop yourself in a lounge chair by the pool for the rest of the day--Oron will bring you margaritas as long as you can take them! We had a wonderful honeymoon and I highly advise you to choose Las Palmas for your next truly relaxing vacation.

The BARK was even worse than the BITE!

by TripAdvisor Member YoYoPedro

If barking dogs is your idea of paradise, you've found it. Barking in the morning, barking in the afternoon, barking in the evening. Barking just as you're drifting off to sleep at the pool. Other than that, the property is beautiful, the rooms are nice, although the beds are a little hard. Staff is very friendly, food in the restaurant is superb, drinks are excellent and very fairly priced. Excellent location, on a 10-mile long beach, in a very natural and secluded (for now) setting.

We just returned from a week at Hotel Las Palmas, from Christmas Eve through New Year's Eve. Having planned and booked our trip well in advance, I would periodically check back on TripAdvisor to read new reviews from recent guests. Since we are dog owners ourselves, the prospect of having a couple of 4-legged friends around to occasionally pet sounded like a nice little bonus. I knew that we might go through doggie withdrawal otherwise! But neither the hotel's website nor the other posters prepared us for the amount and volume of the dogs' barking. Every passerby on the beach, whether 2-legged or 4-legged, motorized or unmotorized, elicited a loud cacophony of 2 dogs barking and giving chase. It got old fast. The owners either did nothing to stop the noise or were unable to. After I asked on our first morning if the dogs started barking every morning at 7AM, the owner responded that sometimes they started at 5AM! If only it had been just a joke, instead of being rendered true the next morning. She did, however, offer to have us leave and stay somewhere else if we found the dogs' barking too bothersome, although she was unable to suggest a place with vacancy during that high-season week. Since it was Christmas Day in Zihua, I didn't feel like starting to do my research all over again, and the location really is perfect. So we lowered our expectations to the way things were, rather than the way things should have been, and made the best of it. By closing our sliding glass doors at night and running the air conditioner on high, we were able to drown out the worst of it and get a little better sleep. So much for "falling asleep to the sound of waves" and "waking up to the surf". Other than the dogs' barking, the rest of our holiday was superb, and the place is really quite nice. If the serenity that I had expected to find had actually been there, HLP would be 5-star. Everything else about this small hotel was spot on. Would it be a deal killer for me, knowing what I know now, if I was planning a Mexican beach vacation for the future? Hard to say. It really is a great place. But the stress that shoots through your head each time that your poolside siesta is abruptly ended by the staccato bark of the hotel dogs is the same stress that you came there to lose. So it is something that prospective guests should be made well aware of.

As an aside, when I read the post regarding the dog biting an earlier poster, I was surprised that there are those that feel that his/her post was less worthy because the poster had never stayed at the property as a registered guest. If they ate at the restaurant, they could certainly comment about the food or service there. If they had a drink at the bar, they would certainly be in a position to talk about the quality of the margaritas (which were great, BTW). So if they get bitten by the dog, I would say that they are most certainly in a position to talk about being bitten by a dog! FYI, there is a sign at the same gate as the "Guard Dogs" sign that is over twice the size of the "Guard Dogs" sign that says "HOTEL". I would like to think that if I was biking down a road and saw a sign that said, "HOTEL", that management would welcome me onto their property to examine it for a future stay, and I certainly wouldn't expect to get bitten by the owners' pet. To justify a dog biting a human being without provocation because of their "aerodynamic helmet" or sunglasses or spandex is ludicrous. An ill-behaved dog is the sign of an owner who doesn't feel the need to change its behavior. It's a shame, because it is a marvelous property in a superb location, and both dogs are nice dogs that just need some guidance.

Perfect place for beach and solitude

by TripAdvisor Member pyegirl

We loved this hotel. It is a very good value and we would definitely return. We paid $225 per night including taxes.

The best things? A beautiful, long, deserted beach that is clean, clean, clean. Lovely rooms, artfully designed to include everything you need and nothing more. Great service from a wonderful staff that treats you like family. Good food at reasonable prices. A beautiful pool when the ocean is too rough for you.

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights after spending half a week inland visiting some of the colonial cities. It was a perfect way to slow down and relax before going back to work.

This hotel is not for everyone, however. If you need nightlife, a variety of restaurants, or have to be close to shopping, this isn't the place for you. It's about a twenty minute (200 peso) cab ride to the center of Zihua. With only 6 rooms, it is a quiet place where people come to get away from the hustle and bustle of life.

This hotel is not for people who are not pet lovers. We are dog owners and we adored the two dogs and cats that live on the premises. The posts below that refer to the dogs as being a problem are from people who need to stay somewhere else. I certainly heard the dogs barking once in awhile, but never thought it was "stressful." The sound of the surf or the blender was probably louder than the dogs, but I wouldn't think of either of them as being problematic! That said, the animals are allowed on the chairs and chaise lounges and they will beg politely (but from a distance) at dinner time. So, if this bothers you then you need to find another place to stay. The staff does a good job of keeping dog/cat hair off the furniture, but they don't shoo them off. The animals at this hotel are part of this hotel's culture and I don't think it will change. We liked it. Obviously others won't.

The only other thing I'd mention is that the hotel does not recommend swimming at the beach and most people did not. The surf is a little rough and they say there are rip tides. We both swam in the ocean every day and agree that it is only for those who feel comfortable diving under frequent, large waves. We never saw evidence of a rip tide, but the staff says the bad condtions are more frequent in the rainy season.

A Peaceful Oasis

by TripAdvisor Member ksfmom

After reading all the reviews posted, one might wonder how a hotel could really live up to all the accolades listed here. Believe me, this one does!
My husband and I spent five days here to celebrate our 25th anniversary and we couldn't have asked for a more perfect spot. The one thing that really stood out for us was the attention to detail. One could really sense the fact that so much thought has gone into planning every aspect of a guest's stay - from the layout of the room to the amazing freshness of the food.
As others have said, this is definitely a place for rest and relaxation. Walking on the beach, lounging by the pool, enjoying afternoon drinks and snacks with other guests, and competing in games of Scrabble or Yahtzee were the main activities of our days there. We each brought several books and enjoyed having time to read without the distractions of everyday life!
The setting is absolutely incredible! The grounds were beautifully manicured and the view from our room (Rm. 5) was breathtaking. The unique indoor/outdoor shower was a special touch, as was all the indirect lighting (many with dimmer switches) in our room. Evenings were our favorite time of day - the mood almost magical, as the setting sun shed a soft glow on the sand and as luminaries were lit by the pool. Each night during dinner we watched local fishermen casting their nets into the water in front of the hotel. Sometimes a line of cows would make their way along the beach, with the hotel dogs hurrying them away...small things, but out-of-the-ordinary enough to make them all the more special.
In planning this trip, I had been very worried about two things - the heat and bugs. Although we wanted the view afforded the upper level rooms, I wasn't sure I was willing to give up air conditioning. In addition, having the doors open to let in the ocean breezes might mean bugs, and if anyone is going to be bitten, it will be me! Neither of these issues were even a concern once we got there. The ceiling fan in our room was extremely powerful and on the first evening there, we returned to our room to find two small fans at our doorstep. These were perfect for keeping the air moving once our mosquito netting surrounded the bed at night. The temperature was very pleasant in the room - both during the day and at night. I did keep insect repellent on at all times (the staff keeps spray bottles available at the bar, in case you forget), and I was never bothered by bugs. For others who may be concerned with these issues, rest assured, the staff has thought of everything to keep you comfortable.
In closing, I must mention the staff. Everyone we met at the hotel was amazing and, as others have said, their smiles and helpful attitude added so much to the experience of staying here. You truly felt as if they wanted to help make your vacation a trip to remember. Small touches like always being handed a glass of water when you returned from the beach or being offered a late night dessert at the bar really made a difference. Having pool towels appear right at the time you're thinking of an evening swim is one small example of the kinds of things we experienced each day. We appreciated each and every staff member and hope to return again one day!

I mean, look at that water!I mean, look at that water!

around the bayaround the bay

Waiting to leaveWaiting to leave

Guitarfest 2004 Closing Concert in IxtapaGuitarfest 2004 Closing Concert in Ixtapa

Is Playa Gatas a good choice for just one day in Zihua?

by Cruiseone2003

I am arriving by cruise ship for one day on 9Oct with my family, 6 adults and 4 children. We want to have some sun and fun, but maybe experience a little shopping. I keep hearing Playa Las Gatas is the place to go and good for the kids (ages 6-10). Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

David

RE: Is Playa Gatas a good choice for just one day in Zihua?

by madamx

Hi,
We'll be going to Zihua for Christmas, and I have found this forum extremely helpful:

www.zihuatanejo.net

The people there will give you the answer you need, plus lots of information. Have a great time!!

by alfredop

Las Gatas is a good option. But shoping is better at the main land in Zihua.

Las Gatas is more for eating seafood and snorkeling.

good Luck!

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, I guess my original question does sound like I am more interested in shopping. What we really want to do is find a Palapa, some cold beer, good food, a nice beach for the adults and kids and just spend the day in the sun. Do you think Playa Las Gatas is good for that or do you have another suggestion?

Thank you for you help.

p.s. great pic of you in the water, looks like you are having fun!

by alfredop

There would be a couple of options, Zihua has around 7 different beaches, my favorite ones would be La Ropa and Las Gatas along with Isla Ixtapa. If you want privacy Isla is a good option for what you look for probably Las Gatas. Take a look at this:

by Cruiseone2003

Thanks for the Beach Options, it's perfect!

Comments