Hotel Del Bosque

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 20% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• Very good deal in Guadalajara

I am genuinely surprised by the bad reviews here. I and my partner had a very pleasant five day stay at this well located small hotel. For the price I don't think you can do better.

The hotel is clean and reception was warm.

The two main complaints that I see here, in our experience, where really non existent and they are complaints of a dirty pool and irritation form the train. The hotel has a very pleasant amount of vegetation that attracts a good about of pleasant bird life,this necessitates a few leaves falling in the pool and I mean a few. It seemed that the pool maintenance was more than adequate. As for the train I barely remember hearing it. It certainly doesn't pass hourly. Perhaps if you are on the East side of the building you notice it more, otherwise it simply adds some atmosphere to the stay. I would say it passed only several times a day. I do not remember being bothered at night. The reviews here actually seem mean spirited.

If I do have a complaint it would be the breakfast buffet. The good part is that they always had fresh fruit juice and fruit so that a you could have a large bowl of fresh fruit and cereal. Otherwise there was a variety of standard Mexican standards these unfortunately varied greatly in quality morning to morning.

More about Guadalajara

Grave Marker at Panteon de MezquitanGrave Marker at Panteon de Mezquitan

Santo Coyote Restaurant - Just a Pretty PlaceSanto Coyote Restaurant - Just a Pretty Place

Small PyramidSmall Pyramid

Karne garibaldiKarne garibaldi

Best Way to Seek Housing?

by rockthevinyl

Hi all,

I plan to study in GDL from January to May 2009 and I´m looking for some form of housing, preferably a furnished apartment near the ITESM campus (or near a bus stop that has Tec on its route).

What´s the best way to search listings? The results on Craigslist are pretty bleak, and I´m not sure which local newspapers have listings online. It´s probably too early to start looking for specific leases, but I wanted to get an idea of what´s available.

Both English or Spanish listings are fine.

Thanks :)

Re: Best Way to Seek Housing?

by m1nkey

My wife and I are here in Guadalajara for school. We found our place by coming down early and hiring a taxi to drive us around the area of the school. There are many places for rent but they may not be listed in a paper. We found a real estate agent that showed us some places. And as a general heads-up to you or anyone, a listing in a paper can be very misleading. Many places here are very nice but some of them are not so nice. If you have the time, come early. There are probably some places listed with the school, or with a student group. Good luck!

Re: Best Way to Seek Housing?

by Jetgirly

The easiest way to find an apartment is to drive or walk around the area you want to live in. You can buy a bus book from most newspaper kiosks in town, and then search in the area you want to live in. If apartments are furnished, the rental signs will tell you so. Another thing to do is look at bulletin boards and ads posted around the school you'll be going to. I don't think there is much you can do from home, though.

My colleague and I spent eight thousand pesos a month for a large, furnished, two-bedroom apartment near Plaza del Sol. It had two bedrooms, a TV, a DVD player, a washer and a dryer, as well as all the linens, kitchen utensils, etc. On top of that, it was mandatory that we continue to pay the internet bill which was about five hundred pesos each month, and the electricy, which was about two hundred pesos per month. Our landlord paid for the water.

Travel Tips for Guadalajara

Did you know?

by SerSol

That Emporer Charles V, Holy Roman Emporer and ruler of much of Europe in the 16th century, gave Guadalajara its charter as "a most loyal and noble city"

And that Guadalajara celebrated its 460th anniversary in 2002. Throughout the centuries, the city has become rich in history, and to this day, many of the most historic and beautiful of Guadalajara's buildings still stand as reminders of the significance Guadalajara has had and will continue to have on Mexico.
Did you know?

Ballet Folklorico

by Ekahau

The Ballet Folklorico of the University of Guadalajara is one of the very top things to do in this VTers opinion. When we were there May of 2006 the show was on Sundays at the Theater Diana at 12 noon. The home of the company is at the Teatro Degollado the Opera house in the central plaza built in the 1870s however were told it was move while the Teatro Degollado is remolded so you should check . Also we found out one can get tickets via ticket master on line this would have saved us a lot of problems. You have to have an American Express card to buy on line or a Mexican Bank issued Visa or MasterCard

The Photo you see is from the Jalisco segment of the show, the almost two hour performance is music and dance from all over Mexico which features traditional dances from all regions of Mexico, it has been going on now for over 45 consecutive years we were told.

The styles of Dress and music are typical of the part of Mexico -- from the Caribbean cost of they use a lot of marimba in their music. The Music from up north features accordion music but the section on Jalisco, the traditional music is Mariachi.

Midweek, another troupe performs folklore dances Wednesday evenings at the Instituto Cultural Cabañas.

The Ballet Folklorico -- Wednesday, 8 p.m. in the patio of the Instituto Cultural Caba–as (far end of the Plaza Tapatia, centro historico). Tickets cost 100 pesos.

Sunday -- 12 noon Teatro Diana
Av. 16 de Septiembre No. 710, Central Zona

The Ballet Folklorico -- has a troupe that plays on the Tequila Express on Saterdays -- see my tip on this.

México de verdad

by sorbjan

"Why GDL?"

Before my first trip to Guadalajara last year, I had only been to border cities in Mexico. Needless to say, this city made me love Mexico in a way I never knew before.

I work for a forestry company and we have many Mexican employees. In an effort to secure a more stable workforce, we started working with the H-2B, temporary worker program. Because I am the only person in the office who speaks Spanish, I was thrown into the middle of a very complicated process. It took hours of paperwork and alot of responsibility, but in the end I got the opportunity to spend a full week in Mexico, all expenses paid. Then, I got to go again! And again!

"The sights"

While in GDL, I had the chance to spends lots of time at el Mercado Libertad and el Instituto Cultural Cabañas. I visited a few parks, tlaquepaque, Tonalá and even spent a couple of quick days in Puerta Vallarta. There are alot of shopping opportunities and quite a bit of beautiful archetecture in the "centro".

"The Experiences"