Quality Inn Guadalajara Centro Historico

Avenida Juarez 170, Col. Centro, Guadalajara, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, 44100, Mexico
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Guadalajara

Huevos Mexicanos at La GordaHuevos Mexicanos at La Gorda

Lunch at "The Patio"Lunch at "The Patio"

Yellow Tiled Towers on CathedralYellow Tiled Towers on Cathedral

and another chairand another chair

Fiestas de Octubre/Day of the Dead

by TravisLeroy

I will be visiting Guadalajara from October 26 through November !st. What activities might I wish to see during this time?

Re: Fiestas de Octubre/Day of the Dead

by SerSol

Visit my page of Guadalajara, tips, etc
The Tequila express is a must.http://www.tequilaexpress.com.mx/
I will be parades all over the city.
Concerts, What kind of music you like?.
The pyramids tour.(45 minuts from Guadalajara)
Day of the deaths celebration¡¡¡¡

Travel Tips for Guadalajara

More Useful Phone Numbers in and for GDL.

by SerSol

EVRY DAY A NEW THING.

My cel telephone in Guadalajara, say Hi... 044333 1705909
My Home ph. (33) 36735080

Consulates in Guadalajara (GDL)
American: Progreso # 175 Tel. 3825-2700
Canadian: Hotel Fiesta Americana L-30, Tel. 3616-5642
Holland: Av. Vallarta # 5500 Tel. 3673-2211
Germany: Av. Corona # 202 Tel. 3613-9623
France: Av. Lopez Mateos # 484 Tel. 3616-5516
Spain: Av. Vallarta # 2185 Tel. 3630-0466
American Express Travel Services...Agencia de Viajes - Cheques de Viajero, etc. Plaza Los Arcos 1-A ph:3818-2323

Private Ambulance: 3615-0058 (English Spoken)
Hospital del Carmen: Emergency Room - ICU
Tel: 3813-0025 Emergencies: 3813-1224 (24 hrs)
Dr. Alfonso Villalobos: (Speaks English) - 3826-9955
Hospital San Javier: 3669-0222 (U.S. Insurance)
Red Cross: 3613-1550
English speaking Dentist, they atend us: Dr. Javier Lomely ph. 36164356 /7596 Emergency:cel 044333 3940533. Add.: 2257 Ninos Heroes Av.
English speaking Oftalmologist. Dr. Pedro Ruiz 3642 8181. Add. Manuel Acuña 2941(Clinic Santa Lucia)

Mexican Consulate in Los Angeles..... (213) 351-6800
Mexican Consulate in San Francisco... (415) 392-2897
Mexican Consulate in San Diego....... (619) 231-0337
Mexican Consulate in New York........ (212) 689-0456
Mexican Consulate in Vancouver........ (604) 684-3547
Jalisco State Tourist Information Office....(33).. 3668-1600

Police: 080 (Emergencies, traffic, fire etc) It is best to purchase Pre-Paid cards or dial 01 800 111-SAVE from any phone in Mexico. You can use this number to make credit card calls or collect calls.

Sant-Oh-No Coyote

by Jetgirly about Santo Coyote

Santo Coyote was recommended to use by the owners of our favorite Mexican restaurant in Canada. I'd driven past a few times and it looked interesting, so when my parents came to visit I decided we should check it out for dinner. Boy, was I disappointed (and what were my Mexican restauranteurs thinking?)!

From the minute we arrived at Santo Coyote, the service was appalling. We had an 8:00 dinner reservation and my friend and I arrived exactly at 8:00, with our reservation number ready. For some reason they made us wait outside for ten minutes while three hostesses chatted and one filed her nails, then at 8:10 one stood up and lead us inside, where we found my parents waiting!

The menu at Santo Coyote is uninspired. It doesn't contain any vegetarian main dishes, and they can't make one for you if you ask (I said I would take ANY vegetarian main- enchiladas, chiles rellenos, whatever). Instead, I ended up having tortilla soup (okay, but not great) and a curry-based salad (extremely bad). None of the meat eaters I was with enjoyed their steaks. The only redeeming aspect of the meal was the salsa, which they custom-make to your spice preferences right at your table. Cool!

Food aside (how can you really say that about a restaurant?) Santo Coyote is a beautiful restaurant. There are beautiful lanterns and palapa huts all around. During our meal there was a presentation on the main level with masked dancers and musicians from Michoacan (another state in Mexico).

I think that my experience at Santo Coyote can be summarized with a single experience though. As I finished my meal and waited for the waiter to clear my plate, I noticed a very large cockroach was climbing up my friend's long skirt. I gasped and pointed to it, she kicked her leg and caused the roach to go flying onto my foot. I screamed and jumped from my seat, and we all agreed it was time to Just Leave. In five months in Mexico, including dining inside and outdoors, in classy restaurants and at holes in the wall, that was the only roach I have ever seen in a restaurant. It was definitely a sign.

Museo de las Artes de la Universidad de Guadalajar

by Ekahau

If you really got into Orazco Work in the Instituto Cultural Cabanas and you want to see a few more you can go here. The permanent collection has a few murals by Orozco and it is free. The University of Guadalajara's contemporary art museum is in this exquisite early-20th-century building in the photo below.

OPEN: Tues.-Sun. 10-6. it is in

Phone:

Tequila Express leaving on track Number Uno

by Ekahau

"The train ride with Tequila to Tequila on Tequila"

This is some special trip you get to enjoy the Mexican people enjoying there own culture and tradition because the Tequila Express was 95% with a few Gringos, French ,Germans even on Korean thrown in my wife.

The Tequila Express leaves Saturday morning from the Guadalajara station in local Mexican style. You get to the station at about 10 AM and they organize you into groups of four colors- we were in the Green team.

Soon after you arrive the whole thing gets going in the station with the mariachi band giving a rousing start to hype up the crowd with traditional tunes, generating cries, whoops and applause from the mainly Mexican audience along for this exciting day trip. The Red try to out whoop the greens and the Oranges and Blues start to get excited as team bonding starts.

On the about 2 hour train ride through suburban Guadalajara you get to see the sites one sees out of a train window as the homes right on the track in Guadalajara and where would most likely not be the high rent areas of town. .

Soon you start winding your way through the plant the produces the Tequila the Weber Blue Agave. Of more than 100 or so types of Agave plant, only this one produces the sweet liquid that makes Tequila. As you processed towards the town of Tequila through the Amatitan valley we could see the beautiful mountains covered well organized planted blue-green agavesIt takes about 8 to ten years our RED guide told us to mature.

In the mean time on the train the Marachi band plays on and the singers sing and the waiters brings cold drinks most with tequila in them one a peach flavored another a citrus of some kind with about 5% tequila. The Mexican are all joining in to the well know songs to them and really getting whooped up. Lots and lots of smiles all over the train car sare to be seen and photographed.

We were luck enough to see a field on the side of the train under harvest with the ---- using there machete like pike the jima to cut down the plant and get to the inner core that weighs 35 to 140 kilograms the pina To make one bottle of tequila it takes about 8 to 10 kilograms of pina.

When we reached the rural train station in Tequila, we were taken in our colored group via bus through the dusty town to the original Herradura distillery at the San Jose del Refugio hacienda.

First stop was to see them do what we saw in the field as the extracted the Pina than on to the old and gigantic ovens where the pinas are steam-cooked for 26 hours and cooled for if I recall about 72 hours before being extract the really sweet liquid called mosto. They gave us a piece of the cooked pina totast and smell and it was a bit like roasted sweet potato. In fact the whole area had the strong smell of rosted sweet patatos.

The fermentation of tequila takes a week or two and at the Herradura distillery they made a big deal of the fact they they use only the natural bacteria and yeast for this process none is added -- kind of like beer in Belgium.

When the tour and movie were over we all went to the picnic area to enjoy typical regional Jalisco Mexican food like mole, pozole,, fried tacos, soup, enchiladas and tortas ahogadas "drowned" in tomato sauce and god only know what else - but it was wonderful.

Than it was on to about two hour of serious entertainment provided by a troupe from the Ballet Folklorica of the University of Guadalajara and two well know Mexican singers toped up with a father son lasso show. The different colors tried to out do each other on the dance floor and joined in on the singing. The orange group for sure was the stars on our trip with one of the young girls leading the dances plus a very extraverted dancing man in shorts -- and the most whooping and yelling.

Comments