4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Zona Hotelera Sur Km. 11.5, Puerto Vallarta, Pacific Coast, 48300, Mexico

Booking.com Barcelo.com Expedia.com

Costs 24% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Great getaway

Had a great stay at Barcelo. My wife and I and one other couple stayed here for 5 days and 4 nights all inclusive. Our first trip without the kids in 3 years. We thought it was a good place to go. Beautiful pools, Good food, and friendly staff. Lots of activities to do all day long. The beach is not so good. It is very rocky sand, small, and rough sea. If you love laying on the beach I would not recommend this resort. But we did have a really great massage in a cabana on the beach and would highly recommend this. It was 20 dollars for an hour massage. EXCELLENT! There was a group of teenagers that caused a little bit of a problem but that could happen anywhere. We would stay here again if we wanted to go to puerto vallarta again.

• Dont expect much based on appearance

As the saying goes, you cant judge a book by it's cover and this is true of Barcelo la Jolla de Mismaloya. The hotel is out of town and gorgeously erected on a hillside, so long as you dont mind the poor view behind the hotel. The food is so so and probably fairly standard by all-inclusive standards. There is tile throughout the passageways which becomes damp due to condensation and from pool users and is rarely mopped up. My wife slipped getting into the elevator and another member of our party fell outside her room. We completed an accident report and never heard from any staff member as to my wfe's or other member's condition.
    Service is poor and was a constant complaint daily, with me speaking to the Restaurant Manager and the Food and Beverage Manager on more than one occassion. I tried to get in touch with the General Manager but he was never in. The staff will ignore waiting on your table in the dining room unless the management is confronted and is representative of how much the staff values your patronage. The bar staff will ignore you and not take orders as recieved as they seemed to cater to a group of loud, obnoxious, intoxicated teenagers who monopolized the bar area. Several teenagers hopped onto the balcony of a member of our group and entered her room, stealing liquor. The hotel's response was "one more complaint and they were being kicked out". Pretty good deal for burglary huh? I emailed the Co-Presidents upon returning from our trip and never recieved a response. No wonder the staff behaves as they do. If management doesn't care, why should they. Our group of 22 will have to think long and hard before we stay in another Barcelo hotel since this is representative of their committment to quality and satisfaction. The beach is small and unusable and is bereft of peddlers and predators looking to sell cheap goods and services. I would not recommend this chain to anyone so beware should you ignore my advice. Had the service been better and the staff more caring the trip would have been more enjoyable.

Unique Quality: Beautifically manicured landscaping and grounds. The resort entertainment is all dance and music themed and this staff seemed most enthused about entertaining the customers

• katiabaer's Profile Photo

First Time away from Kids

My husband and I booked this trip via Expedia Check in: Thu 03/04/10 Check out: Tue 03/09/10 Nights: 5.
    We went with another couple , Package booking cost:$2,919.96
    Taxes & service fees: $414.28
    Package total: $3,334.24

We had all-inclusive package with was great since both of our husbands were always hungry. We both got double room sweets. We did not use the second bedroom but did use the second bathroom which had a bathtub vs the Shower in the main bathroom.
    Rooms were really nice and the daily room cleaning was great. The view was ocean and from the 7th floor it was better than 6th were our friends stayed. We had slept so well to the sound of the waives.

Food was fine in the buffet, we also got 2 dinner coupons to eat at a sit down restaurants. Since I don't care about the food I can't say one way or the other about the quality. Service is excellent, guys always left tips that is all I know.

We had couples massage one day at the spa. It was $95 per hour for both. We enjoyed it allot!

Pools are clean and pretty. You get a towel card so there are no towels laying around dirty. Guys played water polo and we did water aerobics for fun.

Resort is located outside of town about 40 minutes. We too the bus 3 times that we went to town it's like 7 pesos one way. The driver never gave us the correct change though. Still cheaper then cab. When we took cab back it was like $10-$20 depending on the size of the cab.

We expected to go out to the clubs to dance but this resort is more laid back . There is no club in the hotel. Only a bar. We went out to the city once and ended up in the club called Glam I think. This resort is better for crowd who don’t care about that .
    The show at night was mediocre but I guess it was better than nothing.

The beach is really small and it was too choppy to swim in the ocean. We went on a snorkeling tour that they sell on the beach. It was $30 for 4 hours per person. We went out and it was nice only in the water . Once we got in the boat we were all sick from the motion. So we only used like an hour. Few days later we took a local boat out for an hour and we paid for all 5 people $30. The guy gave us a private tour I guess. The locals sell all kinds of junk at the beach and it was all overpriced compare to the town. So if you want to buy ask them for 50% less and if you don’t get it wait to go to town and get it there. The market was awesome in town everyone speaks English and you can always bargain for deals.

We were warned about the mosquitoes, but since we did not see them we did not use the spray. Let me tell you we got so many bites... They don’t bite Mexicans - it not funny... All tourists are covered in mosquito bites, I think that people who went to the horse riding got it really bad. So be warned!

There is a zoo right next to the resort. It's $10 per person. Get the food they sell because you can feed the animals in the zoo, they come really close to get it .

We went on ATV tour. We bought it from the guy outside the resort which sits in the booth there. It was $40 per person, we all had single ATVs. The tour was great we got to see some unique places in the mountains. He took us to tequila tasting and we bout some good tequila there. Also the food was good at the local restaurant.

Considering that it was our first vacation without kids it was really romantic and we enjoyed it allot.
    We had good company with our friends so we had fun.
    You can never go wrong with Mexico I guess.
    The two things I missed was the endless beaches and dance clubs.
    Other than that it was great!

• Sickness

This is a nice resort, not one of the nicest but it was our worst nightmare. Please do not go to this resort at this time. I read reviews before I booked and every review was nothing but praise but after coming back I see tons of reviews including my own warning people of the epidimic of violent vomit, diarrhea, body aches along with chills and fever, not to mention all the bug bites. If you care about your health and family please do not go, this place needs to be shut down immedaitely. We met so many people from the United States and Canada complaining about being sick, we saw people all over the resort getting sick by the pool and in the bathrooms. From what I've been reading this started happening the week of the 15th of March, I just got back the 26th and its getting worse. We stayed at this resort for a total of 5 days, one traveling there and one traveling back home, that left us with three days at this resort, two days we spent in the room with vomit and diarrhea and I even had a family member hospitilized. The hospital bill cost me more than the vacation. The ambulance came a couple of times to this hotel to pick up sick people and take them to the hospital. Managment claims to be concerned but after returning home and reading all these complaints I realize that they have known about his for at least two weeks and they are still allowing people to enter this resort with the knowledge that guests are becoming violently ill. Cancel your stay at this resort and book somewhere far away like in the new part of Puerto Vallarta. PLEASE DON'T BRING YOUR FAMILY TO THIS RESORT AT ALL! This resort should have been shut down a week ago.

Unique Quality: Nice view.

Directions: This resort is over the mountains and very secluded.

• Theft a problem

Resort was beautiful, pools very nice and clean, food changed daily and was very good, entertainment staff very friendly. Front desk staff not very helpful and housekeeping has a theft problem. We had several items of clothing taken from our suitcase, over $100 cash taken from inside pockets of our luggage, various make-up items, and jewelry disappeared daily over a 6 day stay. Hotel staff did not do anything to accomodate or to try to satisfy. Did not even take a report from our guest in our party. Several other guests also had several items disappear over their stays. Resort was wonderful, but the thefts left us afraid to leave our rooms.

This resort is not for the spring break kids, but is great for middle aged couples. Very relaxing.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

SOUTH OF PUERTO VALLARTA

Away from the hustle of Puerto Vallarta, and in a bay of it's own, sits the Barcelo La Jolla de Mismaloya Hotel. The grounds are tropical and the feel is of total relaxation. You do not have to leave the grounds to be totally taken care of with water sports, pools, bars and great restaurants, all within walking distance from anywhere on the resort grounds. The beach area is right out of a movie set, with the palm trees and mountain backdrops.

The rooms are very spacious and close to the hotels beach. The food is good for a hotel that sits out in the middle of nowhere, but that's where you want to be. In fact, five very good restaurants are on site. Quiet and private.

Unique Quality: The view of the Bay of Banderas is right in front of the hotel. Your own private little beach away from all the tourists in Puerto Vallarta. The pool area that is fantastic may keep you from going to the beach. We took the time to walk the beach and we felt as if we were on a private island.

Directions: Boca de Mismaloya on the Bay of Banderas, a few miles down from the Roca Los Arcos, a snokeling paradise just off the coast.

• Romantic and fancy

Another hotel we "abused"....After our hike to El Eden (see my traps section) we took a break at the pool of this hotel.

Unless you are an couple on honey moon you won't like this hotel. It is nice, clean, quiet and it doesn't have anything mexican (except staff - even they didn't look very mexican to me). After listening to the tombola game the guests were playing, we figured that all of them were American.

It i

Unique Quality: Beautiful pool and surroundings. However as soon as you step on the beach (which is not so nice) you get abused by local vendors.

• swordman's Profile Photo

Exceptional resort

Located 10 miles south of PV on it's own private beach this hotel stands out from the "downtown" hotels.

Find a package price w/air and stay for 1/2 the published price.

Negotiate a "weekly rate" with one of the cabs to take you back and forth to PV. I highly recommend "Juan" in cab # 169.

Unique Quality: Private beach, secluded location.

• lar-n-me's Profile Photo

Unique Quality: La Jolla de Mismaloya (as each resort, I'm sure) has their theme nights. Every Wednesday night is their Mexican Fiesta. The stage is placed in front of the beautiful Mismaloya bay,...so the background of the ocean is captivating all throughout the show. The energy was incredible (ESPECIALLY after the crowd had their tequila!:) and the entertainment was amazing and talented! It was a lot of fun,..highly recommended if you can go (and we're not really the 'stay for the 'show' kind-of-people, but we had a GREAT time...) Be sure to catch the firework display at the end.
    Oh yeah,...another reason to stay for the whole show)...
    The stage was always entertaining but happened to be FULL of the fun crowd by the end of the night...MUSIC AND DANCING EVERYWHERE!

(...there was even some 'water ballet' being performed in the pool by the most uncoordinated men in the crowd :-)

• lar-n-me's Profile Photo

La Jolla de Mismaloya was a...

La Jolla de Mismaloya was a PERFECT choice for our PV vacation.

Unique Quality: Aside from your 'own bay', this hotel has four beautiful pools, 3 jacuzzi's, the grounds are very well kept, service is wonderful, the food in the four restaurants gave us nothing to complain about and MORE to talk about (and if you go all-inclusive as we did, these ALL pertain). Any imaginable immenity a person would want, we found here.

Directions: South of Puerto Vallarta, about 12 miles out of town, is the paradise of Mismaloya. La Jolla de Mismaloya is the only resort in Mismaloya.
    Website:
    la jolla de mismaloya

More about Barcelo La Jolla de Mismaloya

La Jolla De Mismaloya

La Jolla De Mismaloya is one of the best Hotel Resorts we have had the pleasure to stay at! Beautiful setting, great service, great rooms. Home away from home. You can't go wrong with this choice-Try Tony's in the village!

MismaloyaMismaloya

Mismaloya BeachMismaloya Beach

Mismaloya BeachMismaloya Beach

Footbridge in MismaloyaFootbridge in Mismaloya

LaJolla de Mismaloya Resort

by Kate54

Going to PV in 10 days with hubby and 16 year old and would like ANY info on above property.I have seen many mixed reviews. Also interested in knowing where some nice beaches for swimming and walking can be found. Also, good tour companys for Horseback Riding trips, etc.

Thanks-KAte