Blue Chairs Beach Resort

Calle Malecon y Almendro #4 | Playa de los Muertos, Puerto Vallarta 48301, Mexico
Blue Chairs Resort by the Sea
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 23% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Blue Chairs Beach Resort

'The Beach' at Playa de los Muertos

by lareina

We went to the beach daily while in Vallarta and every day we went to the same spot on la Playa de los Muertos, 'the Beach'. This place is actually a beach restaurant/bar, but by ordering a couple drinks throughout the day you could lounge in their chairs or under their umbrellas for free and be within feet of the ocean. The Beach is located towards the southern end of la Playa de los Muertos and feels a little more private. The Beach and its neighbor, the Blue Chairs, are gay-friendly establishments.

Excellent Staff and Great Value

by TripAdvisor Member dcwillis

I am not a demanding guest...Just give me a clean room with a comfortable bed and hot shower and I am good to go. The Blue Chairs is not the most modern of hotels, but it is clean, and close to all of the gay activities. The Sunset Bar is great.

great time nothing fancy

by TripAdvisor Member jamesla

we stayed at the blue chairs may 15-22nd....the hotel is older but has been fixed up...the towels in the rooms were thin and worn...the rooms are very basic with beds and a shower...if you are looking for posh and fancy, this is not the place for you...it is a gay hotel on a gay beach with a bar and drags shows on the roof...what more could you want??? the employees at the front desk and on the beach were very nice...al in all, we had a graet time.....

Never Again!

by TripAdvisor Member SFGlen

We thought this would be a blast! And, I must say, the booking process was very smooth and the room was large, clean and had a great view. Blue Chairs is also "ground zero" for the gay beach scene, and the rooftop pool is great at sunset.

That's all the positive comment we have. Now, for the full story. We stayed 9 days, over Christmas. For the last 6 days, we never had a drop of warm water, even at off-peak times. One night, we reported that the rooftop pool was overflowing, but the security guard just shrugged. By 5am our bedroom, and the 4 above us, were completely flooded. No one cared. They didn't even bother to dry out our mattess, which had been directly under the leak, and we never got an apology. The staff is completely indifferent and, in some cases, downright hostle.

Serrvice on the beach is just as bad. We gave up hanging out there, after 2 days, and moved to the "green chairs" beach, next door, instead. It's GREAT!

If you HAVE to stay here, because of the rep, fine - but you better be patient and go to a gym for your showers.

Great Place for the Price

by TripAdvisor Member chasmader

Hi--

I have stayed at the Blue Chairs three times and never had anything other than a delighful vacation. I just returned from five days and was there twice last year. Ok, it's not the Taj Mahal. However, the rooms are clean, the staff are friendly and the price certainly is right. They also have a great concierge, Angel, who can book you all kinds of great excursions, etc. If you want something more luxurious, rent a house or a condo. If you want a nice clean, safe room at a gay hotel, right on the beach, stay here. The rooms on the third and fourth floor are best. A full on ocean view room with balcony is $99 a night. Another great feature is that when you stay here, you can open an account with the beach club and just charge all your cocktails to your room.

I really liked my king bed, so I don't know why others on this site have complained. The hotel is very on top of security. I have left money in plain sight and nothing has ever been taken. I have heard horror stories about other gay hotels in PV.

Anyone who is whining about the price is just plain cheap and should probably just stay home.

CWM
San Francisco

What a dump!

by TripAdvisor Member QuietmanPalmSprings

I chose this hotel primarily for its location - directly on the Playa de los Muertos beach, and this is the only thing about this hotel that didn't disappoint. My first room was on the 5th floor, directly below the roof-top bar. Tired from my trip, I had hoped to turn in early, however; the noise from the bar above began thumping at 6:00 P.M., escalating until 10:00 P.M, when it quieted to a dull roar until 11:00 P.M., when they are forced to stop by the city. When I settled in this room, I found that all of the lamps, TV, cable, etc., were unplugged. There was no remote for either the TV nor the air-conditioner. The towels were the texture of sandpaper, full of holes and frayed edges. The bed, which was supposed to have a memory-foam mattress, was instead an old, well-worn mattress covered with stained and hole-filled sheets.
The next day, I requested a room change, and was moved to a similar room on the 3rd floor. Although this room was 'plugged in', and had remotes for the T.V. and A/C, the ceiling fan was not secured to the ceiling, so that it swung wildly when turned on. Although the evening noise was lessened, the constant thump-thump of disco music could be heard throughout the building (and surely in the neighboring hotels, condos and homes). There is a central elevator, with a staircase wrapped around it. The elevator was problematic, to say the least, so that guests of the disco often used the stairway, making a great deal of noise in the process. There is practically no insulation between rooms, so a neighbor's television kept me awake late into the night (it had been left on while the guest was out).
There were some good things, however. I never saw a single bug, cockroach or spider. The staff, particularily the waiters at the beach-side restaurant and 'private' beach, were charming and helpful. I learned that the hotel is owned by a local straight man, who has attempted to sell the property many times. Clearly, the roof-top bar is his cash-cow, so the hotel guests must suffer while he rakes in the profits.
My advice is to stay anywhere else and use the "Blue Chairs" as a disco and beach operation only.

We Were Taken Out By The Police, Eventhough It Was All Paid In Advance

by TripAdvisor Member mexican_guy

HELLO

We arrived on december 28th and we were told the room was not ready, so we left our belongins and left for breakfast

when we came back, we were told there was a mistake and they sent us to a hotel 2 miles away

it was all a lie, the truth is, since we are mexican, and the hotel is only interested in american tourists, we were eliminated from the reservation list, eventhough we had paid in advance.

that night, we were told there was a room available, we went back, received the room, keys and bracelets, signed in and slept overnight

the next day, the hotel manager kicked us out and said we had illegally entered, called the police, and brived them into kicking us out

we went to tourism, consumer services, and even the police, but everyone was just leaving on holiday (it was december the 29th, friday)

we wre yelled at, lied about, and our brracelets got ripped off our arms. by the hotel manager Mr Tostado.

we have a lawsuit, and the story went to the local news in our hometown, but this is mexico, so there is no justice ever.

I have evidence of the truthfullness of my story, my key, and the hotel voucher.

please take this into consideration when planning your vacation

Terrible Experience

by TripAdvisor Member arymarc

Service is almost non existant. Rooms are dirty and old. The beds are worn out, plumbing is desperate need of repairs. TV did not work. Noisy all day, impossible to rest during the morning and afternoon.
Complained to front desk, they did nothing. Did not want to return money. Stay was paid in advance. There are much better ooptions for much less money. Stay away from this hotel.

A Fun Time

by TripAdvisor Member markandrobin2

Okay. It's not the Ritz Carlton. In fact, it's not even the Motel Six. But, after reading some of the reviews posted on this web-site we were very nervous checking in. But, we have to say, we had a great time! Sure, the rooms are worn, but they are clean. Services are lacking, but the staff is friendly. Its a little loud between 9 p.m. and midnight, but who is sleeping anyway? But the biggest plus is the fact that the gay beach is just outside your door. This allows you a lot of flexibility that folks staying in condos up the hill don't have when you are spending the day on the beach. Also, the bar on the roof is great fun and it was nice to be able to stop in for a cocktail whenever you felt like it. So, if you understand what you are getting into, you will have a great time. If you are expecting more, you might want to consider staying up north in the rersort area with the straights. Finally, get a room with a full ocean view, you won't be disappointed.

We had a great time!!!

by TripAdvisor Member SamVincent

It is a great gay hotel. The staff were very helpful and curteous. The shows at the lounge were fantastic. Although we had to use a plunger once, it's Mexico, what do you expect... The room was spacious and quiet. The hotel is located in the gay zone with close proximity to bars and restaurants. We highly recommend Diana's gay cruise on Thursday. We had a fabulous time.

Staying in the old town- Romantic Zone

by kurtus1974

Hi,

I am quite interested in staying in PV for a week.I am spending a previously week in a secluded beach villa. On searching around the Los Meurtos beach a couple of sites have popped up indicating around the lifestyle of the beach (blue chairs) and the old town.

Can somebody suggest some areas in downtown/ Romantic Zone in PV that would be more suited to a couple.

Any contact (email) with a local PV would be appreciated.

Thanks

by stcdom

There is a fine dining restaurant at the time name Trio in PV, the owner is Dutch speaks French , English... EXCELENT FOOD, pricy but well worth it, north American service ( your food comes out perfect!!! ) Taxi's are cheap, your cab should know how to get there... The Red Cabbage isn,t bad but make reservation, best bet. Caffe de los ollos ( I believe that is how you spell) has amazing seafood platter. In deed IT IS THE GAYEST TOWN you'll ever go to!!! I went there few years back. Had lot's of fun but it is just gay, everything is name after PACO! He owns everything gay, the tours, spa, PACO'S PACO nightclub ( which is lots of fun) Anyways, there are other place I can't recall HAve one of those Flambée coffee drinks! JUST AMAZING... Walk around the buzy area, it's pretty safe in general...

by garyrbeck

Do not know when you say 'couple' if you are MF or MM. Blue Chairs is the gay part of Playa Los Muertos. Gay or gay-friendly hotels include Hotel Mercurio, Abbey and Casa Cupula. Over 20 various bars are in SouthSide. There are also great spots for other couples who enjoy being in the heart of PV. No buses to take or taxis to hail to be here. Many of us would not be in any other part of town for extended times. Check it out!
garyrbeck
Yahoo group Puerto_Vallarta_OldTown_SouthSide

by kurtus1974

Hi,

Was trying to be too PC. We are MF couple, I live in Darlinghurst Sydney so I don't have any hangups about the gay scene. Just not really wanting to book myself into the middle of it for a romatic week. I would guarantee I will be down there dancing at least twice during the week......

Would it better to stay slightly north up on the boardwalk areas??

Thanks

How Gay Friendly?

by mr.tori

My partner and I are going to PV in about a month and I'm wondering how gay friendly the city really is on the whole? Any advice would be appreciated. Also, any idea how gay friendly the Buenaventura Hotel is?

RE: How Gay Friendly?

by yvr

You might want to check with a gay travel agency on Castro. They will have lots of information regarding the gay scene in PVR, the Buenaventura is a family hotel, gays would certainly be welcome, buy you might feel somewhat out of place.

RE: RE: How Gay Friendly?

by MonoBichi

Vallarta is about as gay friendly as it gets. The Buenaventura is not where you want to be. You want to be in Olas Altas area.

RE: How Gay Friendly?

by spaceanderson

You want to be in the south end of old Vallarta (Olas Altas area). If you look at a map of the town there are many little bars in the area. the south end of the beach does cater to your life style. There is a spot on the beach called loonie toons and beside that is a restaurant/bar on the beach with blue chairs and palapas that you may find gay friendly. You can lay on the beach and they will bring food and drinks to you. Atleast thats what I saw last time I was there. I hope this is what you are looking for.
Enjoy your time there. My soon to be wife and I are going to PV next monday for our honeymoon. I have been there many times and lived there for 6 months.
When I lived there I stayed in the Olas Altas area in an appt.

Spaceanderson

RE: RE: How Gay Friendly?

by garyrbeck

Hola amigos~

You are going to have a blast. I have been visiting since 1979, a wee baby in a stroller no doubt and love the ambiance of OldTown/SouthSide. I just bought a condo in the area and will be back 10/17-11/10/05 after trips this year in May and August. The lovely spots for lodging will entice you but if you have booked already, go for it as it is jut in the northern area and you can handle it with respect shown to the locals. Do not act crazy like you do not care. The locals are such fine people and we are their guests...treat them well and you will get same or more in return! Any ???, you or anyone else thinking of a trip, email me as I do not check here very often. My name at yahoo dot com

Garyrbeck
San Francisco, CA./Puerto Vallarta, JAL.

Comments