Buenaventura Hotel And Beach Club

Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa
Expedia.com Travelocity Orbitz.com

Costs 70% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

A centric, good value hotel....

I stayed here in 2006 and I just walked by the hotel on my last trip (2011) and apparently it has been refurbished since my last visit. The external part of it looks nicer now and some travel sites even show this place as a 5 star hotel..... which I don't really think it is. I would think of it as a 4 star. It's not a luxury hotel at all, it did have nice buildings and gardens and some rooms had a great view but it is by no means a top notch resort.

Its main value is its location. It isn't a luxury place but its beach was pretty cool and you can't beat the location -- you could walk to the Malecon (and downtown area in general) in just a few minutes. There is a supermarket (Ley) nearby, Oxxo convenience stores nearby too, a gas station, souvenir shops.... The hotel doesn't have a parking lot of its own but you can park your car right next to it and I remember it was safe enough. I would come back to this resort anytime but not paying their regular fee, which is on the high side for the kind of hotel it is -- I would get a discount package like I did when I stayed there and then it REALLY is worth the money.

Unique Quality: I remember that, since this hotel isn't a chain resort (Sheraton, NH, Melia, Intercontinental, Mayan Palace), it was a quiet place and there were no time share vendors bugging you to buy one of their units. I loved this. I also remember that the service was pretty acceptable and the pool area was nice (it even had a couple of jacuzzis). They also had a spa, which I didn't use.

I was on the All inclusive package and the food was pretty good and varied. Alcoholic drinks were also included and I took advantage of it (drank strawberry daiquiris all day long LOL), it was good value for the money.

• LeoM's Profile Photo

Great place to stay, in old downtown, great access

It was fantastic! The people are friendly, the pool was fantastic. And the bar was close at hand.

Unique Quality: Definately great view from your room, as well as the Pool and of the beach!

Directions: old Puerto Vallarta

• dwatters1960's Profile Photo

Convenient location, clean and fun!

My husband and I stayed at the Buenaventura for our honeymoon in November 2003. We've been to Puerto Vallarta several times already and this is the first hotel that we are returning to.

It's listed as a 2-3 star in most books which doesn't surprise me, but what it lacks in grandure, it makes up for in other ways.

Here are some of the things I liked about the Buenaventura Hotel:
    Large pool
    Chairs, chairs, chairs. We never needed to get up early to reserve.
    Extremely close to the Malecon (Boardwalk) and the action of downtown Puerto Vallarta
    Beachfront - great sunsets!
    Room had partial ocean view
    All-inclusive
    Close to everything: a cappuccino bar across the street, great late night mexican restaurant 1 block away, internet cafes everywhere, lot's of shopping.
    Buses are cheap and stop almost right outside the front door of the hotel.

Average or not-so-good:
    Rooms are not grand but very clean
    Neither my husband and I were crazy about the lunch menu. This was the time to indulge ourselves in some of the great Puerto Vallarta restaurants.
    There were limited activities, no shows in November (note: we never stay for the shows, but that might matter to some)

Unique Quality: We received a room upgrade because we were on our honeymoon. The room had a partial ocean view and a jaccuzi. The jacuzzi did not work (leaked water everywhere) but it didn't spoil our fun. There is a nice hot tub at the resort that is not heavily used. We could see it from our window and knew exactly when to use it.

As honeymooners we were treated to the most wonderful and romantic dinner in a private tower above the restaurant. Only one table which was attended to by our favourite waiter. They served us lobster and filet mignon (remember, this is a cheap all-inclusive!). We were so full that we could barely get down the stairs. Because the waiter was so attentive to us, we didn't want to be rude by not finishing our meal. The experience was so wonderful for us that we have booked our vacation at the Buenaventura again.

Directions: A few blocks from the Malecon (towards the hotel zone) but still in the downtown area.

• dlparker's Profile Photo

Inexpensive Hotel

This place was fairly inexpensive.
    The rooms were clean and large.
    The pool area is pretty nice, its a little tiny bit run down, but for the price you pay its a good deal.
    The hotel is a little off the beaten path, so you end up having to take taxis or walk wherever you need to go, but again, for the price, it was worth it.

More about Buenaventura Hotel And Beach Club

Vacation deals

by mextex about Buenaventura hotels

I found a package in this site, looks like a good deal, but you have to attend a timeshare presentation.

WONDERFUL

We stayed there the last week of October. We had such a great time.
Everyone was very helpful. We had problems with our original room but they were sooooo helpful they upgraded us to oceanfront. The room was gorgeous and it had an excellent view. Alexis at the front desk was awesome and Gustavo the poolside waiter was also awesome. The food was great. We had such a wonderful time. When we do go back to PV we will be staying at the Buenaventura Hotel & Beach Club.

great 3 star hotel

by TripAdvisor Member thefalins

We loved the Buenaventura. We split our time between the Las Palmas and Buenaventura, and liked the buenaventura much better. Food was excellent. We took the all inclusive. There was always a choice of buffet or A la carte. And for a small surcharge you can have lobster, shrimp, crawfish (cooked any way you like). They had an excellent childrens program. Reliable (rare in Mexico), and open from 10A-5P daily for 4-12 years olds. The teacher was great and very responsible with the children. Room was comfortable and clean (though there were tiny white/green bugs crawling on the wall)...creepy. Grounds were maintained well. 3 bars, 2 restaraunts. Location was the best. Walking distance to the malecon, and everything else PV has to offer. Also the restaraunt one block away from the hotel named Tangaroa was excellent.
Not a tourist trap, in fact only locals eat there. They had the best crab I have ever eaten, and excellent grande margaritas. Overall I would say that the Buenaventura is a great value, almost a hidden gem, but not for everybody. It is a 3 star hotel, with very few American guests. If you want to get the real feel of Mexico, have great food, and are OK with a wall that may be in need of a bit of paint, then stay here. You'll love it.

We're going back !!!!

Jan. 20/03 - My husband and I have been to PV. 3 times. The last two we stayed at the Marina. This time we tryed to Buenaventura. We liked it so much we're already booked to go again next January and stay at the Buenaventura. The first night we didn't like our room, we wanted an Ocean view. The next day they gave us pool side. The food was excellent. A lot to choose from. The drinks were great. Benny made me the best Cesar. Staff were great. Excellent location. We're bringing friends this time too. We love it.Sincerely,Mrs. Wilma Chartrand

Mexican corruption at its best! Stay Away!

I live in Guadalarjara, Mexico and went to the BV with my sister to meet our cousins there for a weekend. The service was terrible, the desk clerks rude, and in the end we discovered they were a bunch of thieves. We had to pay for ice (even though they put ice buckets in your room) and water to brush our teeth (most other hotels offer free purified water in PV). My sister and I forgot some clothes in the closet when we checked out so we called and emailed when we got back to Guad. We thought it would be easy to retrieve them as our cousins were still staying there but no, the clothes had supposedly disappeared and we were told there was no way anyone could have taken them. Basically, the hotel said we were lying about leaving our clothes behind (never questioning the likely corruption of maids, security or even the concierge). We were treated like s---- by the employees there. No one every apologized or showed any empathy towards our situation (hundres of dollars of clothing items gone). We were made to feel like the criminals. I am still having an ongoing email battle with them but will likely get nowhere as they are all covering each others corrupt little *****, Take it from me, you don't want to stay at the Buenaventura Hotel!!!

Buenaventura Hotel

by mr.tori

Anyone have any comments good or bad about this hotel. I'm about book a 7 night trip there and just want to make sure that it's ok.

RE: Buenaventura Hotel

by yvr

You shouldn't have any problems at the Buenaventura, it is located close to downtown, and on the beach a solid 3+/4 star property

Comments