Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta

Jose Clemente Orozco S/N, Int. 10 Zona Hotelera Norte, Tenacatita, Pacific Coast, 48333, Mexico
Booking.com Orbitz.com BookIt.com

More about Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta

Had a great time at the Canto del Sol!

I had researched a lot of hotels in Puerto Vallarta but hadn't come across any reviews of the Canto del Sol before my dad and I went down there for this past Christmas. We didn't know what to expect but the price was right for an all inclusive so we decided to give it a try. We were more than surprised by the quality at the Canto del Sol. The food was good....every night they had a different "theme" such as fish or oriental or italian at the buffet. The breakfast buffets were great and for lunch you could have a snack-bar hamburger or fajita or a salad or hot meal at the bufffet. The grounds were very nice. The pool was nice but very cold in my opinion. A lot of little kids didn't seem to mind but most adults didn't swim in it, preferring to lie around in beach chairs and get some sun. There were almost always beach chairs available at the pool but it helped to reserve one early. Drinks were okay, somewhat weak but you could have as many as you wanted. As some people have reviewed here, most of the hotel clientele were Mexican families, about 80% I'd say; about 15% Canadian and 5% American. I don't know why American's don't like this place more....maybe it's a well-kept secret. The one real drawback to the place was that it was really noisy, loudspeakers going all day and half the night. They always said whatever they had to say in Spanish and then in English.
The place had a real international feel to it. Great Christmas eve and day shows with great dancers. Great, friendly staff. Had to ask sometimes for missing washcloths and towels but they were quick to provide. Had to ask for a remote control device for the t.v....said they didn't have enough to go around so we had to wait until someone checked out to get one but then we got one okay. Also had to ask for an extra key which seemed weird, but they gave me one without comment.

The ocean was interesting....a long beach but kind of stony in spots, bring your beach shoes. Rather rough surf, not too many people swimming in the ocean but I gave it a try and the water was much warmer than the pool! They have a roped in area which makes you feel safer, as though it would be harder to get sucked out to sea because you know where to stop swimming. This was the only hotel on the beach with some huts under which many people relaxed away from the hot sun. People sold things on the beach but there didn't seem to be too much hassle....if you didn't want something you just said so and they left you alone.
Lots of parasailing, you could go on a catamaran if you wanted or kayaking.

I didn't participate in any of the activities but they had a lot for both kids and adults all day long. I did think they advertised Spanish lessons on their website and I couldn't find any the week we were there. They were also repairing the place and there was constant hammering and sawing going on, adding to the noisyness of the place.

The room was clean. There was air conditioning but we didn't use it as it was cool enough to go without. The tile floors were clean but really contributed to the noise level especially in the hallways. I was glad I'd brought a pair of earplugs. Don't go here if you are looking for peace and quiet, but if you don't mind lots of kids who aren't really all that bothersome, just noisy (as is the rest of the place), this is a fine place to go. Right on the beach, close to town and the airport (although they charged $13 to get from the airport to the hotel and it was only $4 to go back from the hotel to the airport! Also be careful about being shunted towards a timeshare salesman first thing after you get off the plane...you think they are going to help you find your way to the hotel but all they want to do is give you the hard sell).
Beautiful sunsets. All in all a great place for a good price and we would go back again. Have fun in Puerto Vallarta!

cheap hotel or nice hotel?

by rkearns about villas vallarta and ana liz

oh, and a puerto vallarta page.

one time, i stayed at villas vallarta

it's an actual hotel with a pool and the facilities you need. there are places to shop just downstairs, but it's not close to the water and you have to take a bus to be anywhere interesting, imo.

there is also hotel ana liz in a great centrally located part of zona romantica, if you're on any budget (why not, since you're only spending three days there?)
it's super cheap and right in the middle of everything. clean, simple.

Wonderful Christmas vacation in Puerto Vallarta!

by TripAdvisor Member williamson431

We had such a wonderful time in Puerto Vallarta! It is beautiful!!!! It is old Mexico. We stayed at an all-inclusive resort that was fantastic, Canto del Sol. The staff was exceptional!!!! It was extremely clean. The food was wonderful. What a great way to vacation with a family. Everyone we met was really nice and we all enjoyed our stay. We hope to visit again someday. We highly recommend Puerto Vallarta.

Nice but noisy!!

I just arrived back from a week at the Canto Del Sol. I was travelling alone so I wanted a safe and central hotel which was provided. Food was great, as was the service, especially at the pool area. One concern....
Don't go to bed before midnight or take ear plugs! It's very noisy from the entertainment and the music speakers in the lobby. I also found the pool area very busy and the pool very cold. In the morning people rush to reserve their seating by the pool which leaves all the late risers with nowhere to sit... very irritating. Otherwise this hotel is good, clean and the price is right. Oh, and the beach.... forget it!!!

Would Return in a Heartbeat

I spent Christmas week at Canto del Sol, with my two teen-aged children. This resort scored 10/10 from all of us. Great location - about halfway between the airport and Downtown. $3-$4 cab ride or $.40 bus to Downtown. Rooms are clean and comfortable; the grounds/pool area are immaculate. Buffet was more than adequate and the 2 a la carte restaurants were excellent, with no trouble making reservations.
Pleasant, hard-working staff. Music , activities and contests around the pool were ongoing throughout the day and evening entertainment included colorful stage shows (excellent dancers), bingo, karaoke.
Nightclub/bar excursions into downtown for the over 18's were planned each night. Many of the guests were Mexican, which made us feel we were actually in Mexico rather than Florida. This resort is also very popular with Canadians.

Super Hotel

We just returned from a one week stay over Christmas at the Canto del Sol. Everything about this hotel was superior. The food at the buffet and both restaurants was excellent and there was a great variety. The burger stand at the beach had excellent food and all the drinks were first class. The staff from the front desk to the security people were friendly, curteous and polite. All the service was quick and the evening entertainment was great. I have read other reviews where this hotel has been criticized and I can only say that we would definitely recommend this property. Our maid Rosa was excellent and she always left our towels done in a fancy way. Also Jorge at the bar was the best at serving drinks. All in all this is a superior hotel with a great staff.

Would not return

We have been traveling to Mexico for 12 years. The Canto del Sol is probably the worst place we have stayed. The room was OK, however the food was not. Breakfast was all right, however lunches & dinners were horrible...if you have a choice DO NOT do the all-inclusive. The entertainment staff was exceedling RUDE (unless you played tequila volleyball with them and paid to go on the nightly pub tours). When we asked to check out boogie boards and kayaks, we were told "not now, we're busy" or "the person who does that is on break" (it didn't matter what time of day you asked, they were never available to help).
Complaints to the front desk were met with with a shrug of the shoulders and a promise to pass on the information to the manager. We finally just talked to the security guard and got the stuff for ourselves out of the unlocked shed. Next visit to PV, we'll stay somewhere else.

January vacation

We just returned from a week at the Canto. I also was concerned after reading some negative reviews. However, after our week there, I can say that we had a great relaxing stay. This was our fourth trip to PV and the first time close to downtown. Luis at the front entrance was always warm and helpful. The front desk staff always were friendly and helpful. When ever we needed something from the help desk from softer pillows to restraurant reservations Nancy was always the BEST! The rooms were always clean. The buffet had great food even for this picky eater. You did need to go down early and reseve a chair by the pool, but this is typical at any resort. The beach wasn't as good, but I think that had to do with the hurricane and beyond the hotels control.
The activities staff was good and always had something for us to do.
Enjoyed tequila volleyball. Not too many americans at this resort but we thought the quests were all friendly and enjoyed many conversations with people. Would highly recommend the Canto Del Sol. Also the Geronimo tour.

I loved this place

At first I was slightly skeptical after reading some of the negative reviews on this board. I cannot understand where some of these people come up with the strangest things to complain about. Our trip was amazing.

The hotel layout was great, about 250 rooms so it's busy enough with people to meet, but not crazy to the point of being overcrowded or bumping elbows with strangers. The pool was cold, I'd say about 75 degrees, but ok to cool off after sitting out in the sun. There were plenty of beach chairs, but during the busy New Years week, you would have to come down and reserve one first thing in the morning. The beach was good but not great, it served it's purpose to play volleyball or just sun tan, but it's not quite postcard material. It doesn't have the whitest sand and the water isn't crystal clear.

The hotel and rooms were very clean and comfortable. I'd say it would be better than a Holiday Inn and about the same as a Marriot.

The food was excellent, all the restaurants were good, but the buffet was a pleasant surprise. The fresh fruit juices were great and I don't think anyone got sick when we were there. We drank the tap water and didn't get sick.

The hotel staff were very friendly and professional. I think they realize that they have great jobs in Mexico, and work hard to keep them. The nightly shows were great and the New Years show amazing.

I would say the guests were: 40% Mexican, 40% Canadian, and 20% American. I did not find the Mexicans to be loud or annoying, and the few kids that were there stayed in the pool.

I would definately recommend the Canto Del Sol to anyone going to Puerto Vallarta. I would go back without hesitation.

Puerto Vallarta

by Zoogirl722

"I love Mexico!"

This was the view from our room. We stayed at Canto Del Sol. We really enjoyed this hotel. Great deal for the price we paid! I would strongly recommend it!

"Rhythms of the Night"

We took the Rythms of the Night dinner cruise. I've heard mixed reviews about it being a tourist trap. But we thought it was so much fun and so romantic! Another must do if you're visiting Puerto Vallarta.

I would not advise buying the video of the trip though. We bought it and were dissapointed to find out that they used a pre-recorded show of the one we saw and we were only shown on a video for a few seconds. Not really worth the buy. I would suggest taking your own pictures/video.

"Downtown"

Here is a pic of downtown. Very beautiful city...very friendly too! I loved it!

Massage Sign in MismaloyaMassage Sign in Mismaloya

Exploring the townExploring the town

The Mexican FlagThe Mexican Flag

houses in tomatlanhouses in tomatlan

Royal Decameron or Canto Del Sol?

by jengilmore

My family and I are looking to go to Puerto Vallarta the week of April 19. I am looking at either the Royal Decameron or the Canto Del Sol for our week there. Can anyone give me some advice on the food/accomodations/activities at each resort? We would like to stay in Puerto Vallarta and participate in the Pirates Land Cruise. Where does it launch from and is the Canto del Sol closer to the launch marina? Is everything within walking distance from this resort? Thank you for any help you all may provide!

Villas Vallarta by Canto Del Sol

by Lolli2222

Anyone been to this hotel lately? In March we stayed at the Hacienda (which we loved) but this year booked at Villas Vallarta and I'm worried it won't be as good. Hacienda has a spot on the beach with food and drinks - does Villas Vallarta?

RE: Villas Vallarta by Canto Del Sol

by spaceanderson

The hotels are both horrible . I stayed there in sept/oct for my honeymoon.
-My wife got food poisoning. Food was partially cooked then re-heated when you ordered it
-Power went out in half the resort twice.
-A/C was down for more than 6 days.
-Water filtration system went down twice.
-Villas Vallarta is aceoss the street from Canto Del Sol. You will have to access the beach from Canto.
-Be aware of the time share/Information people on the hotel property and on the street in front of the hotel.

Have fun!
Jason Anderson

DO NOT STAY AT CANTO DEL SOL !!!!!

by spaceanderson

I just came back from PV on my honeymoon at Canto Del Sol. I would not recomend this hotel / time share facility to my worst enemy.
- They had planned work on the A/C system and knew of this 2 weeks in advance but didnt notify me or my agent . Had I known I would have changed hotels.They said 2 days of work needed to be done, the system was down for 7 days .
- Power went out twice in part of the hotel (on site problem).
- Hot water and filtration system went down for 1 day.
- Changed rooms 3 times because of the problems.
- Wife got food poisoning from the snack bar (food partially cooked then reheated when ordered). Can you say ecoli.
- Had constant harrasment from time share people on the hotel property.
- Tried to talk to the manager and basically got nowhere.
I am filing a complaint with the tour operator.(Fun Sun holidays)
J Anderson

DO NOT STAY AT CANTO DEL SOL !!!!!

by kiwi

OH heavens! Please make a warning tip on your PV page about this. These announcements don't usually last long in the forum as they contravene the guidelines. But to let members know, putting it on your page is the best idea.
Sorry to hear it was so bad. I hope you do file a complaint!

RE: RE: DO NOT STAY AT CANTO DEL SOL !!!!!

by EllenH

LOL the google ads at the bottom of the page for hotels.com bring up canto del sol and you can leave a review right there! It actually has pretty high ratings.

RE: DO NOT STAY AT CANTO DEL SOL !!!!!

by pedrocarlos

Another reason to dont buy TIME-SHARES!!

Comments