Krystal Puerto Vallarta

See Amenities
bpwarne's Profile Photo

All Inclusive Resort

by written on December 11, 2011

We stayed at this resort for 5 nights in July - August, 2011. We purchased a 5 night all inclusive package for less than $40/per person per night, double occupancy. Room was rustic, a bit worn and rough around the edges. However, it was in one of their older buildings. It did have a nice patio with a great view of the grounds and one of the pools.

Unique Quality: Lots of Pools!

The worst hotel I have ever been to

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 7, 2011

Nos hospedamos por 3 dias en el hotel y nos parecio un precio muy alto comparado con el servicio que brindan:

1) Habitaciones: son muy viejas, los muebles muy baratos y deteriorados, la reja del balcon de la habitacion está completamente occidada, la TV por cable ofrece el servicio mas barato que existe (pocos canales), etc.
2) Instalaciones: el hotel está en remodelación por lo cual no tiene la alberca grande que solia tener ni la palapa para comer. Te mandan a comer a un area a la entrada del hotel (centro de espectaculos) muy fea, encerrada y con una atención en masiva, no individual
3) Comida: el buffete a la hora de la comida ofrece solo 3 platillos principales (por ejemplo carne o pollo) y lo demás son guarniciones de lechuga, jitomate, brocoli, etc. muy estandar. Demasiado caro para lo que es.
4) Descanso: en el área de la alberca pequeña (la unica abierta a parte de los jacuzzis) y uno de los restaurantes, constamente se escucha la construccion, asi que es imposible descansar con el ruido de la remodelacion.
5) Precio: el precio nos parece demasiado elevado para el servicio de vacacion que brinda el hotel hoy en dia. Ni las habitaciones ni la comida valen lo que uno paga. Hay hoteles con el mismo precio en Vallarta que valen mas la pena. Ademas, hay que pagar 50 pesos por estacionamiento al dia, cosa que no se cobra en otros hoteles.

En general, nosotros no volveremos nunca mas a este hotel y no lo recomendamos para nada hoy en dia. Por mas que el gerente del hotel se esforzo en atendernos bien, el hotel no da para mas. Nos dio mucho coraje gastar este dinero!!

Our room @ Krystal

by written on March 5, 2011

The room was fairly big, the bed was very big and comfortable (they didn't ask us whether we wanted a room with 1 king size bed or 2 doubles, but I was very happy with what we got), we had no view but we also had some palm trees in front of the room's window which kept it from getting extremely warmed up by the sun. We had our cable TV, and the mini bar where we kept some stuff we bought ourselves -- the mini bar prices are outrageous, by the way... and it did not have everything offered in the small menu attached. Also, we had a bucket for ice but never found out where we could get the ice....

The room was clean and everything but it was a bit humid, and I assume it was because it didn't have proper ventilation. We were very surprised to find out that the bathroom had no windows whatsoever...!!! Therefore the smells and the steam from the shower remained there forever. The shower/bathtub looked pretty neat and elegant but it was completely open (no curtain, door or anything) so the water fell outside while you were taking a shower and it got pretty slippery. The shower head had a gorgeous pressure though.... I liked it very much.

Our room didn't get cleaned the first day, we spent all day on the beach and came back to the room by 4-5 PM and it wasn't done yet. We took a nap and they rang us at 6 PM to ask if we still wanted it done (!!!)...... well, no thanks. The next day they did fix it early.... or so it seems, we left the hotel since early morning so I guess they had plenty of time to get it fixed before the other rooms were free....

Unique Quality: We had air conditioned but we never needed it and it was great because it was a bit noisy. The closet was spacious but the doors were a bit stuck so they didn't work properly, however we almost didn't use it. They also had an iron and a hairdryer, complimentary shampoo, soap & body lotion. Towels were always provided, they were clean and big enough.

Unfortunately the rooms aren't very well insulated, you can hear the noise that your neighbors next door and on the upper floor make. We were unlucky to have some noisy neighbors who were partying at midnight, went out and came back making their noise again at 5-6 AM. Then, early in the morning, I heard a noise as if someone was vacuuming or using a hairdryer -- my hubby said it was the golf carts outside being charged or something... I don't know but it was very early and it was not pleasant to be awaken at that time while on vacation. However I guess there isn't much that the hotel staff can do for you in these cases... bad luck and I guess you can get that kind of neighbors anywhere in the hotel -- especially now that there were many springbreakers. I guess you have to go to Nuevo Vallarta if you want a more quiet and peaceful resort.

Outdoors review, part 2

by written on March 5, 2011

Now the food.

The main restaurant faces both the pool and the beach so it has a very nice view. The food was pretty acceptable although it's true that they don't have a huge variety. We only had breakfast here and they had pretty much the same dishes the 2 days we ate here. I was a bit surprised that there were no pancakes (or waffles) available in the buffet -- they were prepared at the moment on the grill where they were also making quesadillas (I think) and omelettes. They have several other restaurants but we didn't eat in any of those so I wouldn't know if their quality is better. However, I did notice that people on the beach & pool areas were only eating stuff such as hamburgers and guacamole, as part of the All inclusive program I think.... but I would have expected to see a wider variety of choices for them.

We were unlucky enough to have springbreakers at the hotel during our stay, so yes the beach was usually crowded and noisy but we never had a problem finding a beach chair no matter what time we got there. We even got a "palapa" to hide under every time. There are even more palapas farther away from the pool area, towards the end of the property, which are usually deserted. Maybe people don't like it there because waiters don't go there to bring you food & drinks but we never ordered anything (the prices were quite high) so it would have been a good spot for us (but we didn't find out about those until we were leaving the hotel). The only problem about being on a public beach, as many people mention on their reviews, is the street vendors... they're really annoying and NEVER stop walking by and offering their stuff. But I guess you just have to live with that.

The beach is a bit rocky, it's true, but that's the case mostly everywhere in Puerto Vallarta so I wasn't susprised. You can still walk and swim in the ocean safely, I didn't think it was particularly unpleasant. The hotel staff was continuously cleaning the beach area so it was pretty clean. The party staff would sometimes play loud music for the youngsters, which we weren't too happy about, but it would be just for a while and then they would stop. People were also playing volleyball and soccer here too. But we still managed to relax and have a good time, anyway.

Again, we weren't on the All inclusive program but, even though we saw some activities programmed for those who were, we never saw a big party or event taking place for the other guests. The only thing I saw one morning was Aquaerobics in the pool. This was perfect for us but I guess if I was on the all inclusive I would like to see/have more action.... anyhow, something else we noticed was that the waiters ignored us big time while on the beach, they were always catering to the foreign tourists but not us: we were only asked ONCE during our whole stay if we wanted to order something. I also noticed that even the youngsters on the All inclusive went to pick their own food at the beach bar, it wasn't always the waiters bringing it to them, so yes I think the service isn't very efficient in this area.

Unique Quality: Other amenities which we didn't get to use or check out were: gym, spa, kids club & play area, night club next door.

What surprised me a little bit is that the parking lot is NOT free - you have to pay a $50 MXN fee per day even if you're a guest. Also, they don't even give you complimentary drinking water in your room, which I would expect at this kind of resort. And, you can't even make a local phone call from your room for free -- you are charged for ANY kind of call you make. I can understand that for long distance, but not local calls...??? Anyway....

Room description on the next tip!

Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

A bit far from downtown, but pretty nice

by written on March 3, 2011

This hotel is rather on the expensive side and I wouldn't have stayed here hadn't it been because my hubby found a good promotion with plane tickets and breakfast included. I have to admit that I thought it was closer to downtown so that's why we picked it among other options. The truth is that it's located on the Northern Hotel Zone, quite close to the Marina and the Cruise ship terminal. I would have liked to be farther south, but I did enjoy the stay here in spite of the location.

Before the trip I read several reviews about this hotel since it was my first time staying there, and I was a bit nervous because I read awful things about it: old rooms with mouldy bathrooms, rude staff, bad food, rocky beach where finding a lounger to sunbathe was beyond impossible...... I was really not looking forward to going through any of this, but I must say that I did not experience ANY of these inconveniences during my stay. I don't know if this was due to the fact that it's low season, that we stayed there from Monday to Thursday so we skipped the weekend days which are busier, that the weather was still a bit cool so there weren't as many people as there would be in the summer or autumn... but our experience was rather pleasant in all aspects. Check-in and check-out were VERY fast and efficient, no one ever approached us trying to lure us into the time share presentation everybody dreads, staff was kind.

Let's talk about the external stuff first, and then I will talk about the specifics of our room on the next tip.

Unique Quality: Location: very close to the harbor where the cruise ships arrive, very close to a Soriana supermarket which is open until midnight, Walmart and Sam's Club nearby as well. A 5-10 minute drive from the airport, and located next to a small shopping mall called Peninsula where you can find some restaurants (El Porton, Chili's, Starbucks) and banks. It has a bus stop just a few steps away from the entrance.

The hotel is rather old, true, but at least the area where we stayed was well maintained. Since we paid a low price we got a room close to the lobby/reception and thus far away from the pool/beach area (and of course no ocean view whatsoever), but the property isn't as huge as I had read so it didn't take you too long to walk there. When we arrived the bell boy gave us a tour on a sort of golf cart around the property, so we would know where everything was located. This was very convenient, but again, the property isn't THAT huge so everything was within easy reach.

They also have a "new" building with rooms with ocean view which of course is more expensive. The time share units they have are little villas with full kitchen, which we thought look very simple and old as well (but we didn't see what they look like inside). The decoration is Mexican style but it's true that it's rather simple and the fountains aren't working, which makes the property look less pretty.

The main pool is very nice and faces 2 bars and the beach as well. We never sunbathed in this area but it was usually crowded nearly all day long. The pool was overall clean and the water temperature nice. They had another smaller pool on the back of the property, next to their Japanese restaurant, which was very peaceful as it was far away from the beach area and surrounded by some buildings. And there's the jacuzzi area on the other extreme of the property which was also peaceful and pretty neat.

More details about the beach, restaurant & other amenities in my next tip.

Directions: Just a couple of blocks ahead of the Cruise ship terminal (towards downtown)

bluegoat's Profile Photo

Great Landscaping and Grounds

by written on February 3, 2008

We really loved our stay!

2 tennis courts although one needs serious help with surface reconditioning.
A 3 wall racket ball court
A small outdoor weight room with quite old equipment
A lap pool
A lounge pool with pool side access to a small bar
A free towel usage bar for the main pool area
A beach bar
A buffet restaurant inside a pyrimidal thatch roofed building with an omlette / waffle chef and views of the ocean.
Daily Cleaning staff that make towel gami ( we got an elephant and a swan and a flower )
Golf Cart luggage service direct to room

The grounds are quite large and the hotel has a nice empty feel to it. Never a problem getting a pool side lounge chair or even three together. There are many palm trees (barrel and coconut) through out the grounds.

The hotel is about a ten minute drive from downtown but is quite close to a major grocery store and far enough away from downtown to be quiet but close enough to be a quick cab ride away.

The rooms are generally quite large but older. Almost all of the rooms have a smoked in smell and some rooms have quite a terrible mold smell. We saw three different rooms during our stay as the first was not clean, the 2nd was unbearibly moldy smell and we settled in the third despite the smoke smell as it had a king bed and a nice view of the lap pool.

There is some construction going on now - supposed to be finished Nov 2008 though they had just finished covering over the 2007 with 2008 while we were there - but overall it isn't too loud or abnoxious.

Listed room prices were $247 per night but if you have a timeshare or know someone who does you get $70 a night coupons though you have to reserve in advance to ensure there will be room.

agricola's Profile Photo

full service resort hotel

by written on April 28, 2007

The Krystal is very nice. I would definitely recommend it, and would stay there again. The facilities were very good, the grounds are wonderful, and the staff were uniformly great.

Unique Quality: The hotel consists of many varied buildings and several pools and restaurants, set in beautifully landscaped grounds, with a very nice beach near the north end of Banderas Bay. The views of the ocean and the bay itself, including Puerto Vallarta, are very good.

painterdave's Profile Photo

Puerto Vallarta Good Deal

by written on March 12, 2006

I stayed here for 10 great days. The hotel is on the well located on the beach, with great amenties, and great service. We had a two room suite with lots of room. The hotel has several pools located near all the rooms, but also has a huge pool along the beach with a swim up bar.
Their are restaurants all around the hotel, but the one down under the cabana we found to be the best. Even in hot weather there will be a breeze from the Pacific to cool you as you sit drinking a margarita under the palm frond cabana. I recommend this hotel for anyone, including people with children.

Unique Quality: Everything at this hotel we found to be outstanding. The staff is very knowledgeable concerning the town's activities. This hotel has an exclusive mariachi show once a week complete with several mariachi bands, dancers and buffet food. A five minute walk brings you to the boat dock area where you can take an evening cruise down to a jungle dining establishment.
If you have a family and need emergency items, there is a Wallmart nearby. The staff will direct you in how to get there. We took a four dollar cab ride to pick up some medicine.

Directions: There is a main road through Puerto Vallarta along the beach, and Krystal is on it on the north side of town.

Summer33's Profile Photo

Krystal

by written on January 25, 2004

Beautiful hotel! My friend has a time share at this hotel and we had such a great time. It's a beautiful 5 star hotel with everything you can imagine. I would definetly go back.

Nearby Krystal Puerto Vallarta

• Business Services
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Puerto Vallarta Travel Forum

Need advice about Puerto Vallarta, Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Puerto Vallarta and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Puerto Vallarta hotel reviews

Sports & Outdoors
My favorite meal in PV.
Museo Histórico Naval
Things to Do
How great is this place !!!
high-quality women's bathing suits, sizes 6-36
Shopping
a nice little sidewalk cybercafe