3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Blvd. Francisco Medina Ascencio, Km 2.5, Puerto Vallarta, Pacific Coast, 48300, Mexico

Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 37% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• nurselara's Profile Photo

Beware of false all inclusive resorts

What can I say!!! In our opinion this hotel does not meet the criteria of anything more than a 2 star cheap, filthy, insect and bug infested compound. The place was incredibly small, that you wake up nauseated to the smell of the less than appealing buffet, that was feeding more than the hotel guests (wasps,flies,bees,ants...) and a very malnourished cat.

We arrived in Mexico on August 21, 2005 Mona and Seth were supposed to get married but to our shock (not really) the wedding was cancelled. But as considerate sisters we went with Mona's arrangment and of course she got to pick the resort!!! It was definitely a trip that should never have taken place in August at the least.The weather was stormy at night and hot and humid at day. We did enjoy the amazing lightning storms over the pacific. Unfortunately, we spent more time on the toilet than the beach!!!

Unique Quality: Great staff and the entertainment was cheesy but we didn't miss a show as Tony the entertainment manager was worth sticking around for. He was the only one that gave us something to look forward to in our misery. We needed to stay close to our room as the nature calls were more frequent then we had anticipated. Unfortunately, that meant our nightlife in Mexico ended at 1100pm which totally sucked. The music in the resort was turned off precisely at 1100pm and partying on the beach was impossible as it was real bad weather and the red flags were up. To add salt to the wound, our all inclusive free drinks also ended at 11pm, forcing you to pay for any drinks until 1am when the bar closed.

Our first night in Mexico, the weather was good and we went to the beach to watch the lightening, we were then joined with a group of locals, they played the quitar and sang spanish songs and danced, we were having fun until the hotel security came and told us to break it up. We were not loud and who can hear our voices over the noisy crashing waves anyways. That's how the name compound came about, first you are led to the front desk, numbered and a bracelet is secured on your wrist, lined up at the buffet to eat, given 2 tiny pools to play in, a beach that is off limits and tainted Ice cubes that keeps you close to the compound.

• mazatlanfan's Profile Photo

Excellent place to stay

I stayed at Las Palmas for March 26-April 2, 2005. I had a room on the first floor. (room 122 to be exact). I had a oceanview but really it was more of a poolview. I could hear the ocean and check out the pool at the same time...Bonus!!!!The best part of the hotel was the staff...so friendly and helpful. Even though this is my fouth time in Mexico I am still amazed at how wonderful the people working at the resorts are. The waiters, maids and bellboys are just sooo fantastic....
    The hotel has two pools which allows for a quiet relaxing time or a noisy busy time depending on what you want. There were many activities like bingo,aerobics,spanish lessons and many more. There was also a volleyball net on the beach for the active tourist. The room I stayed in had 2 queen size beds which were hard... They are the same as other resorts I have stayed at in Mazatlan and Acapulco...I went the all inclusive route this time and there was a buffet and a snack bar and an a la carte restaurant. They had entertainment in the evenings and it was usually good. The fiesta night was the best it had lots of food and dancers etc...

Unique Quality: -Hot tub was good haven't really seen one on Mexico before. I thought it was an interesting touch.
    -Security was good...They watched out for everything.

• Singito's Profile Photo

Low budget, good acomodation.

I go to Puerto Vallarta with friends. Certanly i don't feel any enthusiasm to stay in a all-inclusive hotel, called "Las Palmas by the sea".

We stayed on high season, arrived at 9:00, AM, and the firs impression was that the room will be ready at 13:00 PM.

However after the check in the hotel was good. It's not a luxury collection or a boutique hotel, but it's good for the price, may be very good.

The rooms are old but clean. The hotel got 20 years, but you feel the staff experience. I stayed in very luxurye resorts, but new, wherte the staff was out!!!!!. In las Palmas you feel good.

Got 2 pools: 1 for childrens and 1 adult relaxation pool and 1 jacuzzi. There are no big, but you got a place for relaxation. You can watch it, when you go out to the comun areas, and see the hotel full!.

In Puerto Vallarata there are hotel's more expensive and got not the relaxation pool.

The food was better that i expect. In reality i think that all inclusive food are always a garbage, inlcusively on luxur hotel. For me the concept "all inclusive deluxe" is a contradiction!!!! But the hotel's buffete was good. Not gourmet, but good, and i don't be sick with it.

The beach, like all the Puerto Vallarta's beach is not great.... There are so much erosion, however Puerto Vallarta is magic, and the sunset are spectacular,. It's the Pacific's beaches privilegy.

And the animation team is enthusiast.

The conclusion, good price, good acomodation.

Unique Quality: Relaxation Pool

• Awsome Fun

I loved this hotel. The entertainment crew was awsome and they were so nice. The only thing I didn't like was that there was no iron or ironing boards, but other than that it was a great place for two 18 year old girls to go.

Unique Quality: All the rooms have a beach front view and views of the pool. The hotel is right on the beach, so you can go into the pool and then to the ocean. The water was really nice. The only thing that all the hotels on the beach have a problem with is all of the locals trying to sell you stuff, but if you are a *** and just tell them no firmly then they will leave you alone. One other thing is the activities center is right next to the hotel, so if you want to rent skii doos or go pairasailing, then you are just a 1 minute walk away from all of that.

Directions: This hotel is right in the hotel zone and all of that is between downtown and the airport and marina.

More about Las Palmas by the Sea

Our Experience at Las Palmas

We recently (December 28/03 - January 4/04) spent a week at Las Palmas. The place is just an average resort with modest amenities. The beach was fine, as were the pool areas. We found the bar and wait staff to not be friendly and since at this time many Mexicans were vacationing at the resort as well, they seemed to always get served first and received better service and bigger portions. Don't even try to have a visitor see you at the hotel!! We have friends that live in Mexico, so they decided to visit us at the resort for a couple days. Even after paying for a day pass (95.00 US) they were constantly harassed by security and staff, and weren't even allowed to have a towel for the afternoon! We paid for an evening pass (35.00 US) and then later were told by staff that our guests would not be allowed to eat dinner with us. After much arguing with management, they finally agreed to allow us to visit together. We've been to Puerto Vallarta many times over New Year's and have never experienced anything like this before at other all inclusive resorts. Would we go back to this resort? NO! There are many nicer resorts in Puerto Vallarta that would can get for the same or a better price! If you decide to go, go with no expectations!

The truth about Las Palmas

Ok... here is the update on Las Palmas. We stayed there for a week (Dec. 6th - 13th, 2003) and many things have changed since others have visited. For starters, the "sewer" smell people were talking about was cause by a hurricane last year. There was absolutely no smell what-so-ever during our visit. I understand that hurricane destroyed alot and that the resort was closed for awhile, but it is fine now. The food was "ok" and the shows were terrible. My only real complaint was last they did not have a swim-up bar as stated by Apple Vacations. Other error: They only have 2 pools (1 adult and 1 family) but they did have a jacuzzi which was perfect. These issues may have been errors made on Apple's part, though, not the hotel. The drinks were good and the people were great. Sure, the furniture is old, but who cares? It's a 3-star. You get what you pay for! The entertainment used to be "professional" from what we were told... not anymore. If you like to get drunk and sing kareoke, you'll love it. Otherwise, be sure to request a room away from the stage. It gets pretty noisy. The show is over at 11:00PM and the bar right there is open until 1:00AM. The maids and bellhop were great. Tip them; they deserve it. Don't bother with the Specialty restaurant. It is not good. On the all-inclusive plan, you get one reservation for every 7 nights you stay there. The drinks were pretty good and the snack bar was decent. Warning: they sell time-share right at the hotel. If you're interested, great. I cannot stand timeshare people, but they only approached us once and didn't bother us for the rest of our visit. Oh... Be sure to request an ocean-view room with a balcony. We requested and rec'd an ocean-view, but no balcony. It just had a sliding glass door that opened and straight down 4 floors it goes. Be careful!!! Las Palmas is much cheaper than many other 3-star resorts in the area. So, if it's low cost you're looking for, stay there. I probably wouldn't go back simply because I like good food and swim-up bars. Also, if you exchange money at the hotel, be sure to count it before you leave the desk. We almost got screwed twice, but mistakes happen so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Hope this helps you to make a good decision!!!

Loved the Las Palmas !

by TripAdvisor Member quebeker

Hi.....Want to share my experience with the LasPalmas Beach Resort...we
went there, my husband and I....in January 2000....Rated 3 stars 1/2, I
think the LasPalmas was a very good hotel for our first experience in
Mexico...The weather was perfect, not a single rainy day...Good
sides:1)The beach is not like the ones in Cuba, so don't expect a white
fine sand.....but I loved the beach, I loved watch the waves of the
ocean Pacific....If the ocean is too rough, you still have the nice
pool of the resort...2) The staff...very friendly, helpful...especially
the entertainment's staff....they can speak very well FIVE
languages...I was impressed: spanish, english, french, italian,
german.....they also were great for the day entertainment, and also at
night..it was very amateur, but we had fun with them all the time!!!!3)
the rooms, not so big or impressive, but everything worked fine, and it
was always very clean....4) the ground...very beautiful, kept well
clean, lovely tropical gardens , and also the place where you
eat....gorgeous...5) the city of Puerto Vallarta is something to not
miss....people are friendly, you can go shopping and get almost
everything you need..bargain (mexicans love that!) and don't miss a
tour to visit the old city....
The only bad side: I was not impressed with the food at the buffet...very greasy, too spicy, and cold....we complained about that, and I think it's the fact that the buffet is outside, near the beach..so when it's windy, they have hard time to keep the food warm enough....but the fresh fruits were awesome... yet, you can find something you like in the buffet....if you aren't too picky;and the only meat we got at the restaurant a la carte was very good....

The I would recomment this resort, though.

Las Palmas- everything you need to know

Vacationed at Las Palmas from December 20th-27th, based on a recommendation from family who had stayed there prior to the hurricane.
The Hurricane has clearly had an impact on the economy and quality of certain aspects of the hotel-namely the food.

Accomodations - we stayed on the backside of the hotel(garden view) on the top(4th)floor. It was definitely quieter than staying oceanside, where the loud music from the activity pool starts around 8:30 am. Room was small but very clean- no complaints.

Layout- there are 2 pools, one for adults and one for kids. The kids pool also hosts aerobics and pool games, all very fun, but the loud music can wear on you after a few days, so the adult pool is tranquil and a great option. There is also an adult-only jacuzzi which overlooks the ocean- great!

Bars- there are 3. The main bar is by the adult pool- nothing to complain about, though we are sure they water down the liquor, as you can drink all day without getting a buzz.

There is another bar at the snack bar and then one in the lobby for the evening- again all liquor appears to be watered down.

Food - in one word- benign. Not good not bad. The buffet was amply stocked and looked delicious, but all the food tasted very bland and middle-of-the- road. All the beef and pork was like shoe leather- stick to the chicken!

Salads were good and lots of carbs to chose from, potatoes, rice etc.
The whole buffet had a distinctly European feel.

There were a couple of stations serving Mexican fare- stick to that, at least it has some flavour.

Shows- in a word, amateur. Karaoke etc. The hurricane has definitely tightened the entertainment budget. Drink alot and the entertainment is tolerable.

Atmosphere- we spent alot of time walking down the beach and checking out the other all-inclusives- they were all monolyths and too large to be personal. We enjoyed the quaintness and Swiss Family Robinson feel of Las Palmas and the fact that it did not take 10 minutes to walk to your room.

We suggest eating meals in town at least once or twice to get a real taste of PV, other than that, it was enjoyable for a three star.

Alot of fun!

by TripAdvisor Member HookedonVacations

Just returned Monday February 23rd from Las Palmas Beach Club. Had a wonderful vacation. This is my second visit to Puerto Vallarta so I had something to compare it too there. The resort was very quaint but most enjoyable. The staff was helpful and of course very friendly and tried to help you as best as they could. The food was probably the downfall, very tiresome after a few days. I think I expected more. The buffet was cut back due to the hurricane last year. The drinks were great, the other guests were wonderful and friendly and lots of entertainment. The room we had was on the ground floor which was all redone since the hurricane so it was very nice! The beach has also got alot smaller since the hurricane. The weather was fantastic as well. But all in all the vacation was great especially coming from snow and a cold winter!! Very enjoyable and would go back again!

Very Satisfied

My wife, 9 year old grand-daughter and I just completed a stay, week of 02-09-04, at Las Palmas. First, I'd like to address the negative comments from previous writers. The food - we did the AI - each meal had a sumptous (20 or so entrees) buffet for anyone to find a satisfiying meal. The buffet had a Mexican twist to all their offerings, but as an earlier writer said THIS IS MEXICO! We enjoyed experimenting with some new foods. And the fruit - it was wonderful to have tomatoes that didn't taste like cardboard, fresh pineapple and cantelope! If you don't like that, don't do the AI - there is a Burger Chef a couple of blocks down the street. The sewer smell - yes I noticed it a couple of times. But our room was on the far East end of the resort, and the smell seemed to come from the property to the East of Las Palmas, not on the property itself. And, the smell was barely noticeable, and noticed very infrequently. This problem would NOT make us return to Las Palmas. Drinks - yes, they're in business. The mixed drinks could be a little light, but you can order any improvement that you might want, and the bartender will comply with no complaint.
Entertainment - well, it's free. We only saw one segment - that was a mime who did a great job and had the whole crowd laughing to tears. On the positive side - the staff was friendly and helpful, the beach was a good as you will find in PV, and the location of the property is perfectly situated between the airport and "Centro", the downtown section. Ride the bus - it's cheap (4 pesos) and convenient, and the bus driver will help you get off where you want to. On our last trip to PV we stayed at the Krystal. If we were to go again, we'd stay at Los Palmas - especially for the difference in cost. Lots more, but I'm tired of writing. I would answer questions if you wish to e-mail.

Sunset at Las Palmas Beach ResortSunset at Las Palmas Beach Resort

How much is the internet surcharge at Las Palmas hotel in PV?

by oldguy472003

Will be there at Christmas and considering using Inet cafes and leaving the netbook at home, as the hotel charges for access in the lobby and does not offer wifi in rooms.
Anyone had experience with the cost of using cafes as compared to the hotel surcharge?

Thanks a bunch.

by xymmot

Usually the hotel interrnet cafes are expensive like 5-10 dollars a hour. If outside the hotel, you can find them under 5 an hour, sometimes much cheaper, If you can do with out the netbook for a few days do it and relax. If you happen to see a internet cafe along the way, drop in for a while. I do not think it is important when I take a vacation. I even try to get rid of my phone when I can. By the way if you carry a phone, most of them do work in Mexico and there might be a Starbucks out there to get on line to check the Wi Fi messages. Cheers Tommy x

by rkearns

mcdonalds has wifi. they just give you a passcode and don't charge.
also, the internet cafes there are really cheap. i was there in august. i think i paid like 3 bucks an hour. depends on where you go.

by oldguy472003

Thanks to both of you.
Netbook stays home this trip.

by Felix_Zurita

Hi there

The cafes option in Mexico still a very cheap option, the problem in PV is that you need to go to the town to find them, I recommend that don't take your computer there, use better your cell phone, if you have a data plan you just can contact your local Cell company in the US and ask for international data plan, you will be surprise but the 3G cellular network in Mexico sometimes is more reliable than here in the US; just be sure that get a good plan in advance in order to save money and don't get surprise for international roaming charges.

Buen viaje.