Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta

Paseo de la Marina Sur S/N, Fracc. Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta, Pacific Coast, 48354, Mexico

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Nice place in Nuevo Vallarta

Our hotel wasnt in Puerto Vallarta it was in Nuevo Vallarta which is further from downtown. It was a nice place but there was alot of construction going on as they were making another tower and construction began very early in the morning.
    The pool was over a mile long and went the length of the hotel. They say that this pool is the second largest in Latin America. There was also a lagoon in the middle of the hotel and we were right on the beach.

Directions: Nuevo Vallarta

• waacow's Profile Photo

Awesome resort in Nuevo Vallarta (RCI)

Mayan Palace in Nuevo Vallarta about ~10 miles north of Puerto Vallarta.

Timeshare resorts exchange through RCI.

Unique Quality: Pool is awesome.
    Great view to ocean.

More about Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta

Mayan Palace--Marina

by TripAdvisor Member MNBigRedFan

My wife and I stayed at the Mayan Palace, Marina between February 28, 2004 and March 6, 2004. We were a bit nervous after reading some of the reviews about the Mayan Palace before we left for our trip. However, to put it bluntly, anyone that gives this place a negative review must either be crazy or always stays in the Ritz-Carlton while on vacation. The resort was in immaculate condition and they had some many people working there it was unbelievable. There was always somebody cleaning something. The pool was awesome and the best part was the adults-only area with the swim up bar. If you are going to the Mayan Palace, make sure you stake out a good spot early in the morning by the pool as all the good spots are usualy taken by 10am.While we read about the horrors of the timeshare presentation, the simple solution to this problem is do not go to it. We told them we didn't want to do it and they left us alone the entre trip. The running joke at the resort is that they call the conference room where they do the timeshare presentations "The Slaughterhouse." It was pretty amusing each day watching couple after couple be lead to the slaughterhouse by there ex-used car dealer representative. One morning just for fun we timed a couple that went into the slaughterhouse and after two and a half hours they finally came out with their rep still in tow. We then saw them at least another hour later still being followed around the resort by the rep. Pretty comical, but it never ceases to amaze what people will subject themselves to for a whopping $30 and a "free breakfast" while on vacation.The only problems we had with the resort were communicating over the phone. We three times called the front desk to have someone come and open the safe for us (which you have to do the first time you use it) and no one ever came. We did leave our money and valaubles in a backpack in the closet and never had a problem. The other problem was that during the day they were reupholstering the couches on our floor and it was a bit noisy and the glue smelled pretty badly.The Monday night Fiesta was very good with a good open bar. The entertainment was very pretty good, not as good as a Maui luau, but definitely worth doing.Overall I would give this resort a great review and would recommend it to anyone. If you get sucked into the timeshare presentation, don't say you were not warned.

Just like paradise!!!

I cant say enough great things about Puerto Vallarta. From the great bars and resturants on the strip to the ATV and sand buggy tours. The place is great. We are an owner so we don't have to hear all the sales pitches which we all know suck, unless you like spending half the day listening to high pressure sales people for a blanket or a bottle of booze. Not me. I'm on vacation to vacation. Although I did listen to it once, I bought here. Any way, they give you a day pass to go down to Nuevo Vallarta, you must go. This place is awsome. The greatest pool, its huge. Great food, spendy but good. Take advantage of happy hour on the buckets of beer. Back to Puerto Vallarta Mayan Palace. Yes the rooms need some TLC. But for the most part clean and comfy with great views. You can see cruise ships coming in to port. People are very freindly, and you must take the booze cruise. $35 for all the beer and drinks you want and breakfast and lunch, snorkling and horseback rides up to a waterfall. You can wear your bathing suite its ok. The horses are like $4 extra and the snorkling is free. Great time for a 8 hour tour. You also need to go on the atv tour. What a blast, and you go by the Mexican prison. Alot of fun. Remember to pack cloths you dont mind getting dirty, really dirty. Same for the dune buggy tours. We had the time of our lives. Little spendy but what the hell, your on vacation, spend it, you cant take it with you. Remember, vacation is usually only once a year for a weak. So live it up, take alot of jack to do stuff.
Sitting around the pool is cool, but gets boring fast. And you can only get so red and burnt. You can also rent these little cars that look like mini sports cars. Lots of fun. We took them back deep in the mountains and seen some really cool sites. Great places to party, Kulua and bars near by like the Zoo. Dont forget to visit the flea market down town for great deals, and they do deal. Puerto Vallarta is great, nice clean town, everything is really close. Around the marina by Mayan Palace, lots of great places to eat and great sites and places to rent a boat to fish. See Master Baiters for fishing. And you must eat at Banana Republic, great food. Really the only bad thing about Mayan Palace is its a good walk from the street to your building if your ocean front. Oh, they have a swim up bar that is cool, and usually a nice party down by the beach. Buy the tickets its really fun, food is good and they put on a good show with lots of audience participation.
Go up on stage, its alot of fun and nobody knows ya. You win prizes to.
Have fun, its a blast!!!!!

Reservations Desk not helpful

by TripAdvisor Member nomad15

Twice I have purchased units at Mayan Palce Marina, Puerto Vallarta for my adult children and upon arrival my family is promptly escorted across the street to The Sea Garden Resort where the rooms are old, musty and certainly not up to the quality of The Mayan Palace. Even though the RCI reservation paper is presented showing the acual unit rented my chidlren are placed in smaller units . I am at a loss to understand the marketing philosophy of Mayan Palace and why they treat people so poorly. As a timeshare owner I would certainly think twice about ever investing in a company that does not treat every guest who walks through the door with politeness and honesty. In talking to other guests we found that this is common practice for Mayan Palace. Once you are down there, there is not much you can do.

Wouldn't go back

by TripAdvisor Member fgm

Stayed at the Mayan Palace in the marina in Puerto Vallarta over Easter week this year. Agree with all the others who were disappointed with the accomodations as we were also placed in the Sea Garden building. The entry of the room faced a tennis court and the view from the room was an empty and unmaintained swimming pool. During each of the first 3 nights there, we were visited by maintenance, who stated they needed access to our bedroom to fix the cable to the TV in the room above us. Additionally, every time the toilet flushed, it made a shreaking noise that one of our travelers referred to as "the dying rabbit sound". This was not at all what I had expected after watching the glitzy Mayan Palace website. The resort's saving grace was the warmth of the maid and the poolside wait staff. We have gone to Puerto Vallarta almost every year for the past 20 years but won't be returning to this resort!

What a joke gold crown NOT

Well our nightmare started on January 11,2004. We arrived at the Mayan Palace checked in and then we were told our room was across the street in the old Sea Garden not on the beach as promised by RCI or in the resort we booked. They told us that was were they put all the RCI people and did not have any rooms in the Mayan Palace which is what we booked.Ok now I was ******, but not as ****** as I was when I saw the room and the wonderful view of a old torn up water park. The room smelled horrible, and was not clean, the tub leaked all over the floor and the toilet kept backing up. What a joke.We talked to several other couples that were experiencing the same problem. I agree with the one guy who commented that someone must be paying RCI for them to get a GOLD CROWN status cause they are not. I have stayed in gold crown and this didn't even come close.Also not to mention the staff were rude and the manager would do nothing to compensate. Neither did RCI but I am not done with them yet. This was our first trip to Puerto Vallarta and if we ever go back we will not ever stay there or recommend it to anyone. There are some nice resorts there that are REALLY gold crown.

Wow, what a dissapointment!

Three Buildings. Newer building near the water. Main Building on central grounds. Old Sea Garden Building across the street, over the marina. No guarantee of which building one will be placed in, as they are all now considered "Mayan Palace" by the resort.

Upkeep of the rooms was decent, but clearly not 5 star. Probably 3.
Mattresses were the hardest we've ever experienced....I'm talking Flinstone's hard (bring an inflatable pad if you're going to sleep there). Small Kitchenette. Ants in the room. Furniture OK. Some disrepair, nothing major.

Unbelievably noisy venue. Traffic, hallway, slamming doors, etc. Now, in their defense, they've set this up as a "Mayan Structure", so its 100% marble, concrete and stone. No carpet or area rugs, nothing to absorb sound. Tight hallways and close proximity to the Marina and Main Drag make every noise apmlify through your room. Far and away the noisiest resort we've ever stayed at.

Staff was polite, but worthless. Security could keep you from bringing soft drinks into the pool, but could not stop the theft of a ladies purse (by what appeared to be an organized group which targeted the pool area of the resort) on our last day there. Hotel management was polite, largely unavailable, and completely useless in resolving most accomodation issues.

Make no bones about it. If you're "exchanging" into this resort, you are "low man on the totem pole". If space is tight for the week you travel, you will be placed in the oldest building with the worst accommodations. If you squak loudly enough, they may place you in the main building over the street and motor court. Ocean View or new building, on a busy week? Forget it. They were very frank about the fact that the good rooms were reserved for "owners". We traded a 5 star, Kona, 2 Bedroom, during Easter week, for this resort, and to say we got a raw deal would be a bit of an understatement.

In defense of our exchange company (SFX-resorts), they only handle the "higher end" resorts and this was an owner's traded week at the Mayan.
So they called the resort's central office in Mexico City and we were allowed to stay in the "main building". SFX was very good and pro-active about protecting our trade, and I applaud them for their efforts. (They even called to check on our status after we arrived. I missed their call, but kudos to SFX-resorts for their customer care efforts).

When we identified with the Hotel management that our room stunk (I mean cigarretes, diesel fumes, sewer gas), the front desk management told us point blank "You should be happy, that is a good room. You should be across the street" (At the old sea garden). After much "diligence" on my part, they finally moved us to a "non-smoking" room.
Better, but still far from 5 star quality. Still over the "motor court".

Price at the restaurant and bar are U.S. Resort prices. $6.00 for a cocktail, $7.00 for a cheeseburger. No mexican bargains here. Now, one is only a $50 peso cab ride from town, so restaurants and shopping and beaches are abundant, and nearby.

Summary? Wow, what a dissapointment. The Mayan Palace: "The movie ain't nothin' like the book". Their "Brand Marketing" is quite good. Our experience with their product was terrible.

In the spirit of fair comparison, I should point out that we own at a number of 5 star resorts. We trade actively into Mexico each year, sometimes multiple times a year. We have stayed in Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, La Paz. Some resorts need a little touch up, some are fabulous venues with a little deduction for price or inconvenience.
Some have fair rooms and fabuluous grounds, some visa versa. But all in all, a top level resort provides a generally good overall experience.
The Mayan Palace in Marina Vallarta was the grandest combination of discomfort and dissapointment I believe we have ever experienced on a trade. We would have left early if air fare penalties were not prohibitive for my family of four.

Puerto Vallarta? Go for it! Mayan Palace Marina? Not on a bet.

Puerto Vallarta!!

by guybert

"Mayan Palace!"

Stayed the first week of our Honeymoon at the Mayan Palace in Puerto Vallarta which is located in the Marina district. The hotel has only been open for 2 years because it used to be called the Vidafel Hotel till it got badly damaged from the earthquake of 94. They had to demolish the Vitafel and build the Mayan Palace. It's a very beautiful building & the grounds are also very nice & well maintained. I found the staff to be very professional & most everyone spoke very good english.
Possibly the only drawback was beach area is very small compared to the wide open beaches that we are used to when we had gone to Mazatlan in prior years.

"Mexican Fiesta!"

Lynda & I ended up going to the Mexican Fiesta which was on every tuesday night. It was very entertaining & the food was very good. It was a very enjoyable evening & I would recommend it.

"Additional Town Pics!"

"Bungee Jump!"

"Jungle Tour!"

"South Beaches!"

The south end of town has a few very nice beaches & some other beaches that are quite rocky like this one. But, it also had a very nice view of town that follows the bay shoreline.

"Cruise Ships!"

"Charlie O'Brians!"

"Supper on the beach!"

"Mayan Palace grounds!"

This beach which is just around the bend from the prior picture, but this one is much nicer. It appears that only the beaches in front of the hotels have been cleaned up & the others have been left alone.

"Mismaloya Hotel & beach!"

One of the better beaches ends up being the Mismaloya Hotel & surrounding area which is located a few miles south of town.

"Town of Puerto Vallarta!"

The old part of Puerto Vallarta is at the south end of town & is quite unique because the homes & condos go up the side of the mountain.

"The Malicon!"

The Malicon area is were all the action appears to be. It has lots of stores all around the area & also many small bars and taverns that you can pitstop in for a few drinks once you've had enough of shopping (which in my case is about a half hour). We spent a few late evenings in clubs dancing.

"Marina area!"

This view is from the backside of the Mayan Palace. The Marina area is quite unique, it has a board walk all the way around the Marina to the front street. All along the walkway, you find stores & restaurants. All are very good.

"Water slides!"

Also at the edge of the Marina & also right across from the Mayan Palace is a waterslide which appears to be popular with the yougher kids. It always seems to be busy.

Puerto Vallarta Forty Years Later

by tijuca

"1967 First Visit"

My first trip to Puerto Vallarta ("PV" in those days) was in 1967. "The Night of the Iguana" filming was still fresh in everyone's mind and there were only a few hotels. We stayed in the area known as "Los Muertos" (The Dead), in what is now considered downtown Vallarta. The area today is still where it is happening, although 2003 found me at a time share at the Mayan Palace in Nuevo Vallarta. Things had definitely changed.

Villa Rentals in PV

by startixjill

A group of us are planning a March 2007 vacation. We thought it would be fun to try a casa or villa. Any recommendations on websites to search or private parties? Any other suggestions or tips would be appreciated!

by YVRDave

This place is awsome. The owners and staff are great

by bigdm

Friends rented Casa Coco- we dropped by and it was great
I will be renting casa del questal-- fabulous but expensive- will have more info after November

by dlaforet

Hi. I own a timeshare at the Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta Marina.
It's a Gold Crown resort. If you want to check it out go to www.mayanpalace.com
Very Spectacular. It has a one-bedroom suite with livingroom and kitchenette.
It also has an adjoining junior suite. That will give you 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Sleeps up to 8 people. I've reserved Sat. Mar. 17th to Sat. Mar. 24th, 2007. The price is $ 1,150.00 USD for the week. It's only a $ 5.00 cab ride to the Malecon (city centre) and directly across the street from the marina, with it's many outstanding international restaurants. Golf is close by also. You'd enjoy it...everyone I send there does.
If interested contact Dan at: dlaforet1@cogeco.ca

Thanks, Dan.

by startixjill

I did find that one ...and it did look perfect. About how far is it from town?

by judykeefe

We have rented Casa Macumba for our son's wedding in February 2007. We have never been there but we chose it because of the pictures we found on the internet. It sounds and looks beautiful. Can you tell me more -- about the beach, the airport, is it safe to go to town. Do they have shops were I could buy my dress. The wedding will be on the beach. Anything you could tell me would be appreciated. We are getting very excited!

by YVRDave

I'not sure about the dress thing. Yes it is safe to go to town, the airport is at the north end of town and Casa Macumbo is a few miles south of town. yu can drive or take the local bus, very safe and cheap.
You will like the Casa, say hi to the Crawford family from me, David Griffiths