Presidente InterContinental Puerto Vallarta Resort

Carretera a Barra de Navidad Km. 8.5, Puerto Vallarta, Pacific Coast, 48300, Mexico

• MattNYC's Profile Photo

Friendly Staff and a Secluded Location

The staff was very friendly. The entire experience was stress-free from door to door(with the exception of the American Express sponsored airport shuttle that never came).

Unique Quality: Poolside- swim-up bar with great pina-coladas. Grass Tennis courts poolside.
    small, intimate beach. Convenient to Los Archos, "the Arches" with good snorkling, the water was a bit murky the day we went though. The surf was choppy one day, and we took a sea kayak out from the beach- what fun in the waves! My wife loved it.

Directions: Along the South rim of Baya de Bandaras out of town by approx 5-10 minutes.

More about Presidente InterContinental Puerto Vallarta Resort

Lived Up To Expectations !!!

To start off with; allow yourself to omit a couple of the bad reviews
recently submitted... For one simple reason, they obviously did not do
as much homework as stated or they would not have been on the 2nd
floor, with less than average service; if you want royal service, then
pay for it in the package and you won't have to shell out $25 a day for
a waiter; and remember this is Mexico, not Las Vegas...
Enough about the sour grapes; my wife and I just returned from our 10 year anniversary trip, and loved this place to death... We paid the extra bit of money for the deluxe accomodations with royal service, and recieved just that... If you are looking for exquisite option of seafood go to Hawaii, remember this is Mexico, and Banderas Bay as well as that portion of the Pacific are not known for an abundance of shrimp anyway... Get ready for authentic tasting mexican food here. The breakfast buffet is great, from belgian waffles, pancakes, omletes made to order, to top notch danishes... Sure the Italian food restaurant is for reservations only, and that is made clear up front, however the food is prepared very well... The deluxe rooms are large, with 29" TVs, all of our chanels worked very well, I must admit the beds are very hard, but you will alos find this out up front... The site is very, very clean, and sparkles, they clean around the clock... The service is like none other, they catered to our every need, I gave Daniel at the pool bar $10 each day, and he went out of his way for us every time he saw us, maybe he saw that we weren't rude and expecting it... The food at the pool bar was great, the tacos are authentic, and the quesidillas with pork are outstanding... Yes this portion of the bay is private and secluded, so the water sports are contracted right on site, and they are negotiable... I highly reccommend the Presidente Intercontinental, don't let a few sour grapes keep from a great time...

Can't wait to return to the Mexican charm & ambiance of the welcoming Presidente Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member McBarbar

My husband and I stayed @ the Presidente from 8/31/2003 to 9/7/2003. After reading some of the latest reviews, I had considered changing our hotel reservations, but after spending a week there I am more than glad I stayed with the Presidente as my choice of hotel. My expections of the Presidente, after researching this hotel & others, were of good service, a clean & comfortable room with adequate amenities, a beautiful ocean view & lots of living space - great beach location with privacy, yet not remote. I found my expectations were more than met. I first want to mention our room did not smell musty or funky. Our room was on the 7th flr. with a king bed and the 1st thing I did was sit on the bed to see how hard it was. To my surprise, I found the bed to be very comfortable, certainly no harder than my mattress at home, and I don't have a cheap mattress. I did notice however, because they were doing work in some of the rooms & had the doors open with the beds stripped, that the double beds are one mattress which sits on top of a cement slab, which might explain the hard beds some people were complaining about. The king bed has the mattress & a box spring with a 4 leg support. I also noticed that the rooms with the double beds don't have the decorative stone work around the beds which the king bed rooms do. However, the rooms are spacious, & clean with large separate dressing areas. The bathrooms have marble vanity tops with plenty of space for your toiletries and of course the hotel supplied amenities. There is also a hair dryer in the bathroom. The patio doors to the balcony are 12 ft. wide with awsome views of the bay & surrounding mountains. The much needed air conditioner worked great - it runs on a thermostat so you can set it to your comfort level. The tile floors are cleaned everyday by the maids and sometimes they leave decorative (fake) roses around in the room. I do agree the furniture could use some updating, but it is adequate & functional & not shabby or beaten up. The rooms are mainly done in white, so it has a nice bright & clean look. The walls are cement, so the rooms are solid. The hotel grounds are meticulously kept, landscaped with lush foliage, tropical flowers & plants, a waterfall to the front of the bldg. with a running stream along tropical gardens to back. The Presidente really is a beautiful property, it was formerly a Hyatt Hotel. Facilities are adequate with a well equipped gym, internet room & a tennis court. The beach is private with only a few vendors on the beach (I think they are there with the permission of the hotel) - usually the same ones & they don't really bother anybody. The beach is narrow but fine for sunning, swimming, kyacking, & snorkeling. The water is beautiful - clear to the bottom - you can see right thru & a beautiful turquois green. My husband & I usually laid on the beach in the morning & spent the afternoons @ the pool. The staff were more than willing to bring you a lounge chair to the beach if you so desired. We're from Jersey & have spent alot of summers @ the Jersey shore, so we were fine to just layout on our towels @ the beach. The hotel provides you with beach towels & neck rolls found @ the poolside everyday. One of the biggest assets of this hotel is there are no time share people anywhere in or near the hotel. You can really appreciate this once you arrive in Puerto Vallarta, because they are waiting in the airport for you as soon as you get off the plane. Definitely a big plus for the Presidente. The service was wonderful & everyone works very hard to accomodate. The staff is totally professional & really delivers 1st class service. We had the all inclusive which is supposed to include gratuities, but we usually tipped an average of $10.00 a day extra, and we were glad to do it, because I don't believe anywhere in the U.S. (at least not in New Jersey) would we get this kind of service. The food I found to be very good - always high quality, tastefully prepared, and always with an appealing presentation. When we stayed at the Presidente, I am estimating, at it's most was about 30% full. If you are looking for more personal attention with no kids running around, then this is the time to go. After reading the most recent reviews, I was very surprised that most of our meals, excluding breakfast, were ala carte. Only 1 dinner was buffet & every breakfast, but always you could order something from the grill which was brought to your table. There was a seafood theme night & also a Mexican theme night, which were both ala carte. Lunch was always ala carte. Ala carte menus were limited, but again, aways very well prepared & high quality with good presentation. If you didn't see anything you likd on the menu, we were told to ask for an alternative & they would do their best to accomadate. Now, the downfall to being at the hotel while they are slow if you choose the all inclusive, is the all inclusive rest. was closed for dinner, I think probably 4 nites out of the 7 that we were there. However, there is an Italian Rest. @ the hotel and they give you coupons when you check-in ($40.00 for 2 people) to be used unlimited @ the Italian Rest. whenever they are open, which is when the all inclusive restaurant is closed. There is also the 24 hour room service and that menu is somewhat more limited to sandwiches, snacks, soup, & deserts. We did the Italian restaurant twice, had room service once for dinner & went on a dinner cruise (Rhythms of the Nite) another nite, so it wasn't disasterous. The Italian restaurant was okay - more Mexican than Italian, but it is air conditioned & very romantic, with a Mexican ambiance, beautiful bay view, piano player, candles & always 5 Star service. Reservations are required, however they did seat us one nite without any. Overall, I am glad we stayed @ the Presidente & will stay there again if I return to Puerto Vallarta. My husband agrees & he is harder to please. Puerto Vallarta is truly a beautiful place & the Presidente reflects this in it's surroundings & it's welcoming staff. If you need the extravagant then the Presidente is not for you. If you are looking to experience the flavor of Mexico in a casual & relaxed atmosphere, & can appreciate stellar views, walks on the beach, awesome sunsets in comfortable & lush tropical surroundings then I would highly recommend the Presidente Intercontinental for your Puerto Vallarta vacation.

Disapointment

Rooms and amenities not even equal to a 3-star hotel.Poor service and poor food; would ask if you needed anything and then never return!!Was told to wait a day for honeymoon room upgrade and then was denied and the room definitely needed upgrading!All-inclusive DOES NOT INCLUDE one of the restaurants but you don't find this out until you go to eat there. Also, DOES NOT INCLUDE any non-motorized water sports.Small personal items of toiletries, etc. taken from room.We will definitely do more research before booking another vacation.Only plus for this hotel is beach.

Somewhat disapointed

The location was outside the city and in a good loaction. Easy trip to downtown via cab $5.00 US. be careful of US dollar exchange rate in some places. Started off with the desk clerk telling me he had noe reservation for us. After 5 minutes of his searching he asked me for my copy of a reservation ( which I had posession of ) and I gave him it. He said should not be a problem that he would get us a room. We had reserved ( and paid for in advance ) a deluxe room with a hot tub and I was told we would receive this kind of room. Upon getting to the room I see a hot tub , a bed , a small 36 inch table and 2 dining chairs at the table. NO sofa or other type of chair to watch the TV ( which did not pull out of the cabinet and swivel on a base) so to watch ant TV you had to sit on the end of the bed or on the edge of the hot tub. There was added wasted ppace in the area outside the bath that could have been designed into the room layout much better. The people at all the restaurants and bars at the hotel were great and would do anything within reason to satisfy you.The hotel only had 2 elevators ( 4 x 4 size) for a 10 story building and these would only hold about 5 people. The week we were there it seemed to have a lot of family with children. No problem (right ) ? Wrong! with nothing for the kids to do other than the pool, it seemed the parents told them to go do something. Gues what. Kids using the elevators up and down all evening, thus guests would have to wait long periods of time or walk the stairs. NApparently little or NO security watching over this kind of thing. Also 3 out 0f the 5 nights we were there , could not get any sleep as noisy rooms next door on both sides till 5:00 AM. Apparently the rent rooms to as many guests as would fit into the room. Sorry I must only rate this facility as a 3 but would definately rate ALL the service people at a 5 plus.

Nothing Great!

When we arrived on Sunday about 1:00PM, the front desk was mobbed.
Angel asked us to take a seat. We waited about 15 minutes and asked for a room on a high floor and got the 3rd floor out of 10, not very high.
He then said that our package didn't start until 3:15PM but they would buy us lunch. Gee Thanks! My wife, son and I went down to the restaurant and were disappointed by the small pool and beach and the lack of shade. The food and service in the restaurant were good, but the pool water was dirty and we knew we wouldn't be happy here, so we requested to switch hotels, before we even saw the room. They said if we didn't stay one night, we'd have to pay a penalty equal to one night's stay. We weren't happy but stayed. The room and balcony were good sized and clean, but the toilet was leaking at the tank. A maid mopped up the water - short term fix - it kept leaking. We were able to get room service at the El Presidente which we were not able to get at the Sierra Nuevo, where we transferred to. I would not recommend this hotel or the Sierra Nuevo for that matter.

Awesome!! But too many kids, but great service!

After reading a few bad reviews we almost went somewhere else. But decided to give it a try due to the majority of great reviews. I loved this place! The only downside was that when we went there were too many children and there was no so called "kids pool" or kids area just a shallow end and some kids were hanging out by the pool bar jumping and splashing around. Kind of sucked as we wanted peace and quiet and Expedia touts this place as a "quiet getaway." But the upsides outweighed the kid factor (which is seasonal I am told).
1) The room was huge (deluxe all inclusive), but the blue sofa was dated and needs replaced.
2) The a/c was ice cold but did smell a bit musty but is is so humid there that this is proab . normal?
3) The beach was so beautiful, lovely area and small and private...the staff writes something on the sand every morning like Buenos Diaz and a heart or flower...I thought that was a nice touch.
4) I thought the buffett all you can eat Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner was great..food was high quality and delicious. Also, room service rocked and 24 hours and all inclusive it was really good, we did not even make it to the Italian place. I think some people are too spoiled or too picky as this is a great place with some of the friendliest staff I have ever met-try getting this kind of service in America-good luck.
5) The bed was hard, but I prefer that, the bathroom was great and we had a large TV with Showtime and the Movie Channel, but were not there to watch TV much anyways.
6) The Pool Bar was great-food was awesome and the drinks flowed-just be careful as the drinks are strong and the heat and humidity catch up with you.
7) The elevators were too small 8) Nice workout room, check internet for $3 for half hour 9) We spent about $5-10 a day on much deserved tips, but they don't act like they expect it. I hope people that go there treat these nice people with respect as I did see some obnoxious spoiled Americans there with spoiled children 10) Would I go back? Yes, yes, yes I miss the sound of the surf and the view and the food and the people already oh yes they like it when you try and speak Spanish with the staff-great place to practice.
11) The rooms are rock solid did not here any of the other guests TV's or anything next door or above or below me, I liked that fact. I recommend this place, sure it needs a bit of updating but keep in mind what the weather is like and you cannot have things like plush carpet as it is in essence a beach resort. Do yourself a favor and go, but go in September if you want to avoid the kids. I loved it there!!

A little disappointed, but still great place

by TripAdvisor Member lindsai1

We were really disappointed with the beach here, and somewhat disappointed with the hotel, though it is fantastic overall. The room did not have a minibar as the funjet website said (and I even upgraded). The beach here was steep and weird. Because it is so small you can't really walk on it unless you want to go back and forth. You can't boogie board on it either because it is so narrow and steep the waves break right at the edge of the water. The Italian restaurant is not included, but you do get a coupon for $40 worth there, exlcuding wine. We ordered two entrees, an appetizer, and dessert for only about $44, and you can just charge the amount over $40 and any wine to your room. So it ends up basically being included for one meal. The breakfast buffet was fantastic though the lunch and dinner buffet were lacking in taste and variety. The beer selection was fantastic and the liquor selection pretty good. The staff here is so friendly and helpful that it would be almost impossible to have a bad vacation, though the food, beds, and beach do leave a little to be desired. If you like to hang out on the beach, you might be disappointed with this hotel. We won't return for that reason.

A Wonderful and Memorable Vacation Experience.... Viva Vallarta!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Caroline814

My boyfriend and I just got back from Puerto Vallarta on Sunday evening. Our very first vacation together after two years. We stayed 4 nights, 5 days w/ their all-inclusive plan, and had an absolute fantastic time!!! We were very happy with this trip. I read ALL the reviews before I left (good AND very bad), so trust me, I was prepared!
I'm also used to travelling every year staying at 5-star resorts w/ my family, so I know what to expect. You honetly just have to remember - this is Mexico. If you know a little Spanish, this could help you a bit. You will have a much easier time communicating with everyone, and I think people just respond better!

When we first arrived, we zoomed passed everyone trying to offer timeshares, and took a taxi straight to our hotel - passing the downtown area. It looked so shady in downtown, I was nervous at first.
Don't stay in downtown if you can help it! It looks like the ghetto, kind of gross and crowded - and it's hotel after hotel - not our style.

We were incredibly relieved as we drove much further south (40 minutes out), because the scenery completely changed - nothing but luscious greenery...absolutely beautiful! My boyfriend hates crowded places too, he thanked me profusely for doing the right research - and for selecting a hotel far far from the city - away from bars, clubs, etc.
We were excited (and relieved) - when we saw the hotel. It was secluded, location was just perfect, and service was great! They did seem a bit short staffed at this time (it's mid-season), but no worries, we didn't have any problems checking in/out, ordering and receiving our food, drinks, snacks, etc. Everyone there aims to be very good to you. Why wouldn't they? My boyfriend was very surprised with Presidente's kind hospitality. I didn't tell him about every single review on TripAdvisor, (I only told him mainly about the bad ones!) so it was cool that he made that observation during our stay. The fact that the service was top notch - made the stay an even better experience for us...

I was in charge of tipping. The moment I arrived - I tipped $25 bucks to make sure they'd take care of me - but it's probably not necessary.
I tipped the servers at the pool and roomservice, $2-8 (20-80 pesos) each time we hung out at the pool or at our room. The cab fares are cheap - the most expensive is to the airport - $10/ each way (100-120 pesos+ tip).

The rooms were huge to us - we were barely in the room - the rooms smelled funky at first - it wasn't dirty - just funky (my boyfriend didn't notice). After asking others - it was like that everywhere else - including other hotels! It's mainly the humidity I think... so if you can't adapt to this environment - DON'T COME TO PUERTO VALLARTA for a vacation!!!!

About all the noisy children at the hotel, we must have lucked out b/c there really weren't a whole lot of screaming kids around! We relaxed poolside during our stay only twice. But one cool experience was that we played pool volleyball with a bunch of people from New York, Texas, and California one afternoon - which was A LOT of fun! I also loved how they had tennis courts, a really NICE gym (I was surprised), and a "Cyber" internet place w/ two computers, although I definitely stayed away from the gym and computer on my trip!!!

The beach at Presidente is VERY private - and secluded - beautiful to look at, and calming - which we loved. They rake the sand on the beach EVERY morning! I don't think anyone else has mentioned that. How can you beat that? The hurricanes haven't ruined this part of Banderas Bay, so it's really beautiful the way they have it all set up. You can have beach lounge chairs placed on the sand during the day, which some other couples did, we didn't, but it's an option.

We watched the AMAZING sunset from the balcony our last night, overlooking the pool and ocean and had sangrias from room service - very romantic. During our stay in PVR, the second day we did a canopy tour (so much fun!), third day we went horseback riding (El Verrano), and snorkeling at Isla de Marietas on Saturday - which was the least favorite, but still cool to do. You can just save $100 and rent snorkel gear, eat good food poolside and drink a margarita at the hotel Presidente instead - it's comparable if not better! I used the travel agency at the hotel (I know I could have save a little money booking directly), but the service was great. Gerrardo and Alex were great.
Francisco and Angel at the front desk were cool, and Richard at the pool was excellent - very hard working, and very accommodating. He can surprise you with unique drinks and good dishes. I would say, both roomservice and poolside menus are comparable - both have a good selection - and it's cool you can get food at 2am in the morning if you wish!

Besides the great Presidente, do other things... Go to the Malecon downtown b/c the view and oceanfront walk is great. The Flea Market (where I got all my little knick knack souvenir gifts for friends and family b/f I left) is walking distance - it's cheaper there and you can bargain shop!!! One night, we also went to a not so fancy (but popular among the natives) family owned restaurant called Cuetos (or "Mariscos") the second night in downtown and had longosto (lobster), pescado (fish) and camarones (shrimp), with free shots of tequila - and conversing with the family in Spanish.

All in all, this was very memorable for us!!! You are the one that makes or breaks the trip in Mexico. And Presidente IS a great relaxing place to visit if you go to Puerto Vallarta. I think if you have HIGH expectations for a trip to Mexico, you will be very let down, but if you just kind of go with the flow, relax, understand what to expect (read all reviews), do other outside activities, and are in great company, you'll have a great time!!!

Honeymoon Fun

We booked our trip through expedia.com and were very please with the service we received. An expedia tourguide met us at the gate in the airport and had a car waiting to take us to our hotel. The airport is about a half hour cab ride to the hotel but is a senic drive. From the start we were pleased with the hotel, the front desk staff is very friendly and made our check in process easy. They upgraded our suite without us knowing because it was our honeymoon! So that was definetely a plus! The rooms are nice, our view was just amazing. The only thing I didn't love about the room is it is all tile and you can start to feel clammy really easy. The beach is beautiful and was a lot of fun, the food was good but buffet gets old really quick! We definetely recommend the All Inclusive package, it was definetely worth our money! If you are going to do any trips the Las Caletas trip is amazing! We got massages, went snorkeling, had a great lunch and got there on a cruise boat! You should definetely try that one it is worth the money!
Overall, we had a very nice trip! It was a perfect honeymoon!

Hotel Reccomendations

by stacy1259

I have been receiving mixed review regarding many hotels in PV. Can anyone give me any suggestions? We were considering the Samba by Pueblo Bonito...Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Hotel Reccomendations

by macshe

Hi Stacy, I have been to PV many times but only once stayed in a hotel. We stayed at the Marival, an all inclusive resort in Nuevo Vallarta and it was pretty good as far as the food and amenities go. We usually rent a condo or villa, so if you want some web sites to check let me know.
Sheena

RE: Hotel Reccomendations

by DestinationWeddings

If you want to stay downtown PV - you don't want to stay in Nuevo Vallarta. If you to be near downtown but away from the business I would recommend the Presidente Intercontinental. Very nice and private and not huge.

If you want something busier with more pools and more action - then I recommend The Westin

If you want something more like a boutique in the center of the city I would recommend Hacienda San Angel.

Hope this helps.