Riu Vallarta Hotel

See Popular Hotels

Tags

Seniors Hiking and Walking Beaches
See Amenities

The hotel was disappointing. .

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 11, 2014

Stay was Aug 8-11th 2014. Pool was super hot, beds were very lumpy and hard, food was aweful. Resturants were all booked so we only tried the one we booked in advance. The steak house resturant and it was not good. The area was very pretty.

The excursions offered are nice.
A must is Rythum of the Nights. A very romantic boat ride to an island with dinner, sunset and dancing. Food one the excursions was great.

If you feel adventurous and take a taxi to town, the ride is about 25 minutes to the taxi stand and the best mexican food is 3 blocks away at Pipis. So good!

Unique Quality: Grounds are well kept and pretty. Rooms are nice looking and have an electronic safe.

BUYER BEWARE: They hire thieves and stalkers!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 5, 2012

My trip was from April 15-April 18, 2012 as part of a family trip back to Mexico. When we arrived at the hotel, we were kindly greeted by the hotel staff and given a 5 minute orientation on what was available at the resort. My biggest concern was the safe. They had no electronic safes and they only had one key available. I placed my wallet in my safe to secure my funds. While I was getting ready to go to the pool, I misplaced my key in the room. I informed the hotel staff of my situation and asked them to look for the key. The key was not found and so they had to literally break into the safe in order to get my wallet out (which was $60). When I opened my wallet, all of my money was stolen, obviously by the cleaning lady, and I went directly to the hotel staff to inform them. They told me that their policy is that when a person loses a key, they must inform the staff, which I did, but they never filed a report on my behalf. I talked Public Relations, which was a complete and total waste of time, because all she did was try to blame for the fact that their staff members are thieves. I then spoke to the manager and he assured me that my money would be returned to me. So far the resort has refused to take responsibility for their worker's actions. They have thieves working at their resort and continue to perpetuate this behavior by blaming the customers for the hotel's inability to reprimand any misbehavior on their worker's part.

Not only did I have a problem with thieves, but throughout the trip, the hotel staff continuously asked us questions about our family members, as if investigating us. At one point the Public Relations person would come our way and count the total number of people we had in our party. They would try to get information as a way to see if we were breaking any rules or if we had extra guests staying there. My family and I were unable to relax and simply enjoy the serenity of Puerto Vallarta because we were constantly being harassed by the hotel staff.

The food was mediocre, the rooms smelled of sewage, and the entertainment was sub par. For the amount of business that we brought to the resort (a total 20 people) it was not worth the quality of service we received at this resort. The only thing that was decent was the service received while at the pool. The bartenders were awesome and attentive without being bothersome.

I would recommend not staying at this resort to avoid any problems that they will not take responsibility for. My aunt stayed at the Grand Maya and while we visited, we noticed a complete difference in the level of service and attention they received.

Keep Room Safe Key with you at all times

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 7, 2011

Tip - keep safe key with you at all times. (This is hard to do since key does not have any kind of key chain with it) The resort also stresses if you lose the key you will be responsible for them breaking into the safe, since they don't have a master key. Hiding in the room is NOT a good idea. (Ours was hidden in jacket pocket). If you hid the key in the room and something is missing in the safe (wallet with cash) you are to blame not the hotel. First hand experience with this.

Musty smell of resort room will stay with you for days when you return home. When we exited the elevator and started walking down the hall of the 2nd floor you could smell a strong musty odor (imagine the smell of a 20 year old hotel in Southern Florida on the ocean). When we got to the room it was even stronger. We tried opening the window, and turning on a ceiling fan which did not help. Room 2029 has a balcony but is over a roof, so you could not keep the window open at night, since it would be very easy for anyone on the second floor to “hop” over the balcony and into your room. When I returned home and emptied my luggage my husband (who was not on the trip with me) said our laundry room smelled like a farmhouse that had been closed up for years. After 3 washings all my clothes still have a faint musty smell.

Heads up that pool is not heated and was freezing. It was in the 50’s at night and 70’s during the day. Some hearty soles were standing at the swim up bar, but very few in the pool for the week.

Last issue at this resort is the noise. I had seen the complaints but figured it wouldn’t be a big deal. If you have a room facing the courtyard, you will hear music blaring until 11:00. They have live musicians every night. Even with a white noise maker we could not block the sound out. Riu halls are always loud and at 7:00 every morning like clockwork you could hear doors slamming and people in the halls.
Positives:
The bartenders, and waiters were extremely friendly and helpful at this resort.
Entertainment staff was great. Excellent shows, and daily activities.
Hotel extremely clean. Many people working to keep halls, public bathrooms looking good.

Nuevo Vallarta good place

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 27, 2011

Resort was clean and had the most hardworking staff ever. Populaton exploded on weekends with locals which just about cleaned out the buffets. They did not open the other buffet restaurant to correct this issue. We travel with another couple and a big part of the female enjoyment is the pool. It was the coldest I have ever experienced. Weather was very cool at night. We were surprised that as a contingency, that they did not have a pool heater to adjust the water temps to ambient. Consequently, that part of our trip sucked. Pool was not as clean as it should be also. Food was good. A laCarte restarants were good as well. Beds super hard. Rooms clean.

Unique Quality: The staff worked very hard to please. Beach was very easy to walk for miles.

use2bbandman's Profile Photo

Great hotel!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 15, 2009

My wife and I were at the Riu Vallarta from Nov 4-8, 2009, and had a wonderful time there! I have never been to a place that was soooo clean...and being kept soooo clean 24/7. There were always staff cleaning this huge place. The rooms were spotless, the grounds were immaculate.....and the food was above average. I must say that the Sir George restaurant was the best of several that are there.....excellent presentation and very good quality. There is always plenty to do there from a wonderful beach and several pools to the late night disco dancing. Very friendly and helpful staff are on duty 24/7. They were having difficulty with their free wifi in the lobby while we were there, but the day we left it was being fixed....I hope.
I would recommend this hotel to everyone.......!

Unique Quality: Cleanliness of the entire hotel. Great pools, beach, entertainment, good food and plenty of it. Drinks were available at all times and places.....even while on the beach staff members were coming around with drinks. The Sir George Restaurante was outstanding!

We happened to get a very incredible deal from a travel agent: 8 day/ 7 nights with flt from STL and return for a total of $1600+ for TWO people.

Directions: North of Puerto Vallarta about 20 miles along the beach. In the town of Nuevo Vallarta in the hotel district.

wonderful 5 star all inclusive resort

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 1, 2008

We had a marvellous stay the at the Riu Vallarta in September this year. We were totally spoiled and looked after by the great staff. The food was excellent , almost everything you could ask for was on the menu , somewhere, 24/7. There were several restaurants and the service was superb. Everyone was friendly, helpful and polite. It was a joy to stay there. The activities were amazing, from dancing, volleyball, shooting, swimming and games. Internet was available and you could also use the facilities of other Riu hotels , just along the beach. Which we did. The beach was only just metres from the hotel and it was clean sand and safe swimming. Waiters served drinks on the beach and even Lunch. Lots of activities for kids too! Everything was included in the price, food, drinks, entertainment. Most rooms had a sea view, all had air con, fans, inroom safe, balcony, cable. Mini bar had free drinks and bottled water. Beds and baths were good, most people didn't want to leave, and said they would come back next year. The bell boys were fantastic and would help with luggage, calling a cab, giving directions and making your stay pleasant. The entertainment guys and girls were always making sure you were enjoying yourself and encouraging you to participate in the nightly festivities. They were really exceptional young people. We would recommend this hotel to anyone. Prices were very reasonable. 10 out of 10.

Unique Quality: Great service. great food. great beach. Lots of activities. friendly and helpful staff. Pools, views and prices were excellent.

Directions: Neuvo Vallarta

• Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Puerto Vallarta Travel Forum

Need advice about Puerto Vallarta, Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Puerto Vallarta and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Puerto Vallarta hotel reviews

Golfing
Sports & Outdoors
wonderful traditional mexican food
Restaurants
beautiful clothes and leather goods
Shopping
nice women's clothing at very reasonable prices
terrific breakfast!
Restaurants
expensive, average food, not-so-great service