Sheraton Buganvilias Resort

Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center
Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Not Impressed

Pretty let down with the quality of this hotel. There are a few positive reviews here, not sure if they are completely honest or just got lucky, but my experience and the experience of my family certainly do not match.
    The hotel on the surface seems rather well-kept but there are a couple large flaws. It seems that they spend their time making sure the front entryway and lobby are very clean and sacrifice the cleanliness of the rooms. The bed in my room had a very large yellow stain on the sheets (disgusting), the refrigerator was broken and the water pressure was very shotty. When I complained I was quickly dismissed like they hear it all the time and are tired of putting up with it. Customer as a whole was subpar and not very welcoming or informative.
    The hotel is also designed so that whenever someone closes a door in the hallway it creates an air vacuum that rattles all the doors in the hallway. In a large hotel like this it is very annoying and you just have to learn to live with the "SLAM!!! WHOOSH!!" sounds every 5 minutes if you ever want to get any sleep.

Unique Quality: Views were nice, but not worth the hassle I had to endure. There are many other nice hotels with views in the area.

Directions: Puerto Vallarta

• A place to rest your tired body after fun in p.v

Our stay at the sheraton resort was ok. I cannot stay it isbone of my favorite resorts to stay in or that i would stay again but it was not that bad. Rooms were to outdated for my taste but we knew that going into it since booking. The prices were good and thats what drove us to stay there. Rooms again smell to musty, we switched rooms and ended up with the same problem, seems to be the case with all of the rooms. There is no sand on the beach, nothing but rocks which is very inconvenient. Beaides that the people who work there are very nice and the service is pretty good.

Unique Quality: Outdoors the facilities are kept very clean, the pool is fun my kid had a great time in the pool.

Directions: Zona hotelera

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

A great place for a wedding

We were there for my eldest nephew's wedding and they picked an excellent location. There was a festive air in the hotel throughout our stay with special theme-dinners each evening followed by free entertainment. The entertainment was not usually a Las Vegas-type show but they were entertaining and you did not feel compelled to just sit and watch. There was dancing, contests, and "Ballet Folklorico" style shows.
    The pool was also multilevel and multifaceted with swim up bars for beverages and food. The food prices were more reasonable than the room prices.
    Trip Advisor contributors rate the Sheraton Bouganvilias as 27th out of 114 hotels in Puerto Vallarta and, though I have not stayed in another hotel in PV, it seems that that ranking is probably pretty close to appropriate.

Unique Quality: I am not certain whether this was a plus or minus but I found the architecture to be rather unique. There was no traditional continuity with ramps sometimes leading from one level to the next, halls and walkways seeming to bend back upon themselves, and at least one dead end hallway which was rather long with no visible indication that you were walking into a box canyon and were going to have to reverse that path.

• kfengler's Profile Photo

Very Convenient location...

We enjoyed our stays for our 10 days. Services we required were very good. For the most part the food was very good, but not the cheapest for food and drinks. This seems pretty much on par for any of the "Touristy" establishments. There are cheaper more local place if you're a little adventurous.

Unique Quality: The pools are great with both having swim up bars.

Directions: Close to town, the last of the BIG hotel chains before town.

• kcochran111's Profile Photo

Romantic Resort

From the time we checked in until the time we checked out, every Sheraton Buganvillas employee we encountered went out of their way to provide friendly, prompt service. The hotel staff is very knowledgable and helpful, and the location and amenities make for a perfect romantic getaway.

Unique Quality: Guests have a choice of 2 pools complete with poolside food and beverage service, waterfalls, and a hot tub. The hotel also boasts a nice selection of retail shops, a mini-mart for everything you forgot to pack, and a full-service spa with massage tables overlooking the ocean.

Directions: Puerto Vallarta Hotel Zone, Downtown Vallarta

• TRVLRZ's Profile Photo

Downtown PV

Because I travel a lot, typical large hotel chains all blend together for me. (My wife on the other hand loves them!) With the exception of this Sheraton. We were fortunate to be able to get one of the nicer rooms on the top floor that had a private sun bathing area and over all a very nice room.
    The pool at this location was fantastic and the staff were a lot of help! The restaurants were typical resort food, great for some one who really does not wish to stray too far. I highly recommend eating at the local venues!

• scott_dallas's Profile Photo

Closest to town of Major Hotels

I think this is a good choice for a first time visitor. It is well maintained and is only about a 10 to 15 minute walk to the Malecon area, or "El Centro". However, the sidewalks for the first portion are not very good, so it is better to take a cab, 20 or 30 pesos, or better yet the 'autobus' for 5 pesos.

I would stay here again and would recommend it, but if (when) I return to Puerto Vallarta, I would prefer to stay at a small hotel in the Old Town, as I am more interested in getting out and about and not spending much time at the hotel.

Unique Quality: The hotel featured 2 huge swimming pools, 3 restaurants, and I believe 2 bars. I only ate at the restaurant under the big palapa one day for the breakfast buffet and it was pretty decent, especially the chilaquiles. Probably the best feature of the hotel is all rooms face the ocean, was nice to sleep with the window open with the nice breeze and sounds of the surf.

Directions: Located midway between Puerto Vallarta "El Centro" and the Marina.

• califuberalles's Profile Photo

Excellent Accomodations

We had a superb stay at the Sheraton Buganvilias Resort during our honeymoon (October 30 - November 6, 2001). If available, make sure you ask for a room with a balcony... during your down-time, you will enjoy relaxing there until you head out for your next adventure.

The rooms have comfortable beds, good sized bathrooms, and cable television (if you feel the need to keep in touch with the world).

One thing... after check-in, we met with an activities coordinator who sold us a membership packet to get severely reduced prices on tours/excursions. This was well worth the 100 pesos; however, we were told that we could attend a free breakfast and get our 100 pesos back.... hey, free breakfast... and money back for two or three margaritas... I'm going for it. Well, the breakfast was decent, but the whole thing was about buying into a time-share. We were not interested and I quickly convinced our assigned salesman of it; however, his boss came over for the hard sale (I feel sorry for the people who can't say "no"). Morale of the story.... nothing's free.

Unique Quality: Excellent views, several pools, great lounging areas. The food in the restaurant was good... but you'd be best served visiting some of the restaurants in town (find some in the "Restaurant" tips section).

More about Sheraton Buganvilias Resort

Disappointed in Sheraton

We were very disappointed with the Sheraton Buganvilias. We stayed in a studio room with a queen murphy bed. It was literally hard as a rock. It felt like we were sleeping on a board with a sheet over it. We had to let the water in the shower run for 15 minutes just to get it lukewarm. For the most part, the room was clean, but there were several spots on the tile floor that had been missed during cleaning.

Our biggest complaint, however, is that the hotel allows timeshare salesmen in its lobby. As soon as we checked in, a man in a Sheraton polo shirt led us to the side and began to tell us about our room and the hotel, which was nice until he got into the high-pressure timeshare sales pitch. He tried every trick in the book to get us to come to a presentation. Finally, we just got up and walked away. It was ridiculous.

I must say, however, that the location was great. We only had to walk a couple of minutes to get to town. Last time we stayed in Nuevo Vallarta and had to take a bus, which was somewhat of a hassle. I would not recommend going in the summer months because it was unbearably hot and humid.

Loved It

by TripAdvisor Member PrentisLakewood_WA

My wife and I and our guest just returned from our stay at the Sheraton Buganvilias Resort and Towers in Puerto Vallarta. What a wonderful trip we had (Oct 2 thru Oct 9 2004)and the highlight of the trip was our stay at the time share part of the hotel. We had a two bedroom suite that was the nicest timeshare accommodations we have experienced in several years and we use a lot of them. The entire hotel complex was beautiful, well maintained and very clean. The staff was friendly and most helpful. The timeshare people were very pushy but gave up after the second day. Our room on the third floor, #1386, had a balcony that extended around two sides of the hotel with a view of the ocean and the pool area as well as all the lush vegetation and flowers that surround the inner courtyards. Security was very good and there were very few beach venders. The hotel restaurants were excellent but very expensive so we took most of our meals off the grounds. We look forward to staying at the Sheraton Buganvilias on our next trip to Puerto Vallarta. Very highly recommended.
Prentis Hunsinger
Lakewood, Washington

Excellent place for small kids

We stayed in May 2002 in the Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Towers. I booked the room through Expedia and got really reasonable price. Our son was 2 years old so for us it was very important to find a hotel room with kitchen and a hotel that would be good for small kids. Sheraton was perfect for that. Especially the kids pool was wonderful. The pool is very large and shallow enough for kid to play in it. Hotel room was clean and we had really nice view to the ocean. The service was good, they even replaced the fridge with a new one when we complained its noise. Also the hotel is close to downtown Puerta Vallarta, about 15-20 minutes walk, so you do not have to stick with hotel restaurants. Actually the only problem really was the hotel restaurant, it is expensive, not very practical with kids, and they close pretty early in the evening. But during the days you can have lunch by the pool. Also breakfast was excellent. The beach in front of the hotel was not that good but Ok. In general much better experience than I expected. We had a great vacation.

The Sheraton is okay

Well I stayed at the sheraton about a week ago and let me say the hotel is OK, well it was actually quite perfect for us becuase we where only using this place to sleep in. The pools were nice to relax in, the beach was ok alot better then the beaches in california, the beach was way to rocky. In all this place is perfect if ur days are planned somewhere else and not planned at the hotel, otherwise stay somewhere else

Great location, but a few draw backs

by TripAdvisor Member DMR

This hotel is in a good location and has great pools, although the beach is rocky. Upon arrival we found the service to be good, yet as the week progressed we noticed that the quality of service appears to vary, depending on whether you are a time share owner or not. We were there on exchange with RCI, yet we were continually hounded about buying at this property ( they even called our room one evening to solicit).We waited 3 hours for a hair dryer and had to call for maid service many times during the week, as our room was skipped. If you are not a time share member you must check out before 10:00 a.m., without exception. No late check outs are possible, yet if you are an owner then you may check out as late as you wish. The beds and pillows are hard and flat. The hotel is very clean and the views are wonderful.

Sheraton Buganvilias Location

by Dewy65

I'm hoping someone can help me with the names of some lesser expensive hotels within walking distance of the Sheraton. We are picking up our rental car there in the morning but don't want to spend the big bucks on a late evening arrival. Thank You in advance. Gary.

Re: Sheraton Buganvilias Location

by song4joy2

Hi Gary. I stayed a couple of years ago at the Suites Del Sol, a very quaint Mexican style hotel, across the street from the beach. I've been to Puerto Vallarta many times and this was by far my favorite hotel to stay. This hotel was definitely a lot less expensive than the usual hotels in the hotel zone, and yet it isn't that far a walk or bus or taxi from the Sheraton. It is also across the street from a small mall where you can pick up groceries and cerveza. I loved the Mexican feel of this hotel. There are antiques in the lobby and the hallways to the rooms are filled with hanging plants. I think it is a two star hotel, but in my books it was absolutely wonderful! They offer a European Plan which is all your drinks and food. They can't offer all inclusive because they are not on the beach, but hey, it's only a short walk across the street to the beach. Also - there were fridges in each of the rooms, a real plus when you want to buy your own beer or water for the beach. You can find pictures of the hotel on the net and some of the tour operators offer this hotel too.

Myrna