The Abbey Hotel

Hotelsclick.com Expedia.com Booking.com

More about The Abbey Hotel

Great Friendly Place

by TripAdvisor Member davetweber

I've stayed at the Abbey 3 times now. Each time was better than the last. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The location is perfect. I don't need a hotel on the beach. The beach is right there. Everything is in walking distance.

And, they remember you! You aren't just some body that is there.

Great Place Yes! Yes! YES!

by TripAdvisor Member clerst

We were staying somewhere else, where the birds were a problem if you wanted to sleep past 7 am. It was bear week and most places were booked. We walked into the Abbey hotel, which was hosting the event, the manager Luis was very sympathetic to our situation. He truely likes his job and is a wonderful host. We got the last room and he even gave us the event discounted rate. This last room was literally over the lobby and we were concerned about the noise. It was great, there is no traffic noise, we never heard anything from below.

The room was modest but very nicely and conveniently put together. It was very clean, the maid was sweet and attentive. As with all mexican beds it was hard as a rock. There were a variety of pillows with different fillings. We did see bedspreads getting washed and the linens were always fresh and clean.

Ice was available at the bar. Fresh towels for the beach every day was a great luxury. They were nice towels too, big and fluffy.

All of the staff were wonderful, attentive, knowledgeable and gave genuine friendly greetings.

Location was perfect on the same street as Kit Kat and CocoBanana. An easy walk to all of the gay destinations. A few blocks to Muertos Beach.

Overall, for the price it was one of my hotel experiences. I will definately go back.

Wonderful trip and hospitable staff

by TripAdvisor Member JohnnyAndBarry

My partner and I stayed at the Abbey recently and thoroughly enjoyed the trip and the hotel.

The location is excellent - convenient to the beach, bars and restaurants - and economically priced for the quality of the rooms and amenities. The entire staff is very friendly and most helpful in every way possible.

The fact that the hotel was the host for the annual Beef Dip event the week we stayed there spiced up the stay even more. What a pleasant surprise!

The only negative I could find is that the pool and jacuzzi close at 9-10PM each night. It would be refreshing to be able to return to the hotel after the bars and socialize a bit with the other guests since the space is so nice. We found that most hotels in the area had similiar pool hours, however, so maybe it is the local custom.

We intend to return soon.

A Fair And Balanced Review

by TripAdvisor Member lacrazia

I just returned from an extended stay at the Abbey Hotel and I want to point out the good and not so good points. I agree with everyone the staff is great they are personable, friendly and very accomodating. Luis is a very hands on manager and wants input and feedback from all the guests. The rooms are decent it is not a 5 star hotel but basic accomodations at a reasonable rate. I do agree the beds are firm, the air conditioning unit in my room would rattle and wake me up. The tv on certain channels would hum and then go away. Yes the pool is ice cold and everyone would use the jacuzzi because it was heated.

With all this said I would still go back to the Abbey Hotel not because it is an uber chic boutique hotel but for the reasons it is not. The Abbey feels like family and you know you are being cared for and looked after. Does it need an updating, yes. Does it need new decor, yes. But is it's heart in the right place, a resounding, yes! I much prefer a place with character than all the creature comforts and no soul. And the Abbey has soul!

awesome hotel and great staff

by TripAdvisor Member vancouverbear

I was in Puerto Vallarta for Beefdip 2008 and the Abby was our host hotel. It was awesome. The staff were amazing, so friendly and helpful and my room had a great view of the ocean and I could hear the surf at night. For gay travellers it is THE place to stay. Friendly, close to everything, safe and one of the best prices around. Plus the staff are all so cute!! I am already booking my room for Beefdip 2009 so that can only tell you how much I liked the hotel. the pool parties are the best!

A great choice

by TripAdvisor Member wlbatl

Stayed at the abbey for about a week in January. The staff worked closely with us in making reservations, ensuring that we got the type of rooms we wanted (one regular connecting to one suite on high floor with ocean view). Can't beat the location -- about a block from the beach and on the same block as several gay restaurants/lounges. Also great shops nearby. The rooms were as expected -- housekeeping kept them quite clean throughout our visit. The staff was accomodating, helpful with questions about things to do but not overly obtrusive. Would definitely stay at the abbey again -- a great choice for the price.

The Abbey Room 507

by TripAdvisor Member myvoiceofreason

I stayed at the Abbey for 5 days in mid-March. I've stayed in a variety of beach properties from luxe to budget, so I feel fairly well versed in what you should expect in a property. In short, The Abbey is an average domestic-class hotel with an excellent location and an above average staff. If you want posh and polish… this is not the place for you. However, if you want an affordable, clean hotel about 2 mins from the beach in Puerto Vallarta’s Zona Romatica… this is a safe bet.

I am giving the Abbey an "above average" rating because for a typical mexican beach hotel... it is. It's not luxury and it is not trying to be so keep that in mind. The staff and location make the place worth it and I will return here again.

Some specific comments on the room….I stayed in room 507, a suite with a great ocean view from the balcony. This suite (and many of the others) has two balconies. The room was clean upon arrival and daily maid service was good. Tile floors throughout. Each room has cable TV with on-demand capability and internet access via a full-size keyboard (see picture). I did not use the TV or wireless so I cannot say much for the quality or cost. The furnishings are “rustic Mexican” and all in good shape. The king bed was fairly hard and could have benefitted from better linens. The bathroom, a decent size though not large, had a pedestal sink, toilet and tile shower. The towels varied from day-to-day but they were generally large and smelled clean. Decent toiletries are provided.

This particular suite (though not all do) has a kitchenette with 4-burner gas stove, coffee maker, toaster, and full size refrigerator. There are minimal plates, glasses, flatware and some pans… not enough to really make a decent meal but you could pull off pasta and sauce without a hitch. This suite has a connecting door to another standard room which would make it perfect for a larger group but might be a bit of an issue if the connecting door makes you uncomfortable.

General comments on the hotel….The common areas were consistently clean. The pool area has numerous chairs and a hot tub (though not fully functioning). The bar area is ok and Gabriella, the bar tender, is a good host and she makes a great margarita. There is a computer and wireless internet in the lobby. This signal sadly does not reach above the first floor and the hotel needs to get this sorted out. However, I was able to pirate a decent signal from a nearby hotel from my balcony.
You will be given a wrist band when you check in and I noticed the staff looking to verify we were guests on occasion, especially at night. So, hotel security is fine.

As most of the other reviewers in TA have noted the staff here is great. All of the front-of-house staff speak English and Luis, the main FOH manager, takes the time to get to know hig guests and will go out of his way to help you with recommendations or any issues while staying there.

Also, the front desk will provide you beach towels daily and they have a relationship with a beach vendor for drinks, etc. Having said this, I spent every day at place on the beach called “The Beach House.” See my other reviews for some notes on this place.

I have included pictures from 507 where I stayed and 502 across the hall to give you a consistent idea of the rooms.

great place to stay in Vallarta

by TripAdvisor Member addinfulleffect

I've been to PV about 12 times and this was my first at the Abbey. While my room was small (I was travelling solo so it wasn't a big deal) I did have a nice west facing balcony. The room and bathroom were both spotlessly clean every day and the airconditioning worked almost too well. I did peek into a couple of the bigger rooms/suites and they were very nice.

I was a little worried when I realized my balcony overlooked a restaurant but I honestly didn't hear a thing from either the restaurant or the street noise. I could hear my neighbours within the hotel a bit but again it wasn't an issue.

Location wise the Abbey is great. It's a quick walk to the beach and there are lots of restaurants and shops in the area.

The staff were amazing. I had to make a call home to Canada, which isn't easy to do collect, and the front desk was able to connect me right through and even let me use their phone all for about 20 pesos ($2). Everyone there was very friendly and seemed to know all the guests by name within a couple days of your arrival.

The wireless internet worked very well but only in the lobby area, which is ok since it's right next to the pool and bar and it was free.

All in all it was a great place to stay and I'd for sure recommend it to friends who were looking for somewhere quiet to stay that was right in the middle of town.

Loved teh Abbey

by TripAdvisor Member gregddd

I have to say I absolutely loved the Abbey Hotel. It is nothing fancy but it is very clean and comfortable. The location is fantastic a block from the beach and a few bolcks from some wonderful restaurants. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, and went a long ways towards making my vacation enjoyable. The only thing that I would have changed would be to heat the pool, otherwise, I have no complaints.

I will definitely be going back next year and have absolutely no qualms about recommending this hotel to friends or family.

Home away from Home in PV

by TripAdvisor Member smoovy

We loved this hotel.

The staff at the Abbey Hotel go all out to make you feel at home in this beautiful beach resort town.

If you want to stay in some sterile resort hotel, then the Abbey probably isn't the best choice for you. If you want a great hotel, in a perfect location with an exceptionally friendly staff and great views...the Abbey is a great choice.

Let's be clear...the Abbey is a gay hotel...but this hotel is gay as in happy...not gay as in bath house.

The clientele are all gay. The little restaurant and bar, the pool and hot tub, and the free wireless and internet access on the main floor of the hotel are great places to meet others staying at the hotel.

We recently visited with a group of 5 friends in 2 rooms. By the end of the first day we'd already made several new friends, and met them at the clubs later that night.

From the front desk staff to the maids to the owner...everyone is super friendly and fun.

As the owner Luis will tell you, the Abbey is a work in progress...and there's a little room for improvement. The beds can be a little hard, the hot tub temperature isn't consistent, the bar/pool scene feels like it could be a much hotter meeting place than it is.

But this hotel gets the most important thing right...you have a GREAT time when you stay there...and they really do make sure of that. We got complimentary passes for the best clubs and lots of help navigating the city from restaurants to everything else. It's close the best beaches, and close to all of the best clubs and restaurants.

Our party of 5 all vowed to stay here again as soon as possible. We loved this hotel.

Restaurant at Chino's ParadiseRestaurant at Chino's Paradise

inside the town churchinside the town church

Sign in front of the restaurantSign in front of the restaurant

This is us enjoying our margaritasThis is us enjoying our margaritas

Pulmonias

by Travelroze

What is a reasonable price to offer a Pulmonia driver to take us from port to downtown? I dont want to be cheap but I dont want to be taken either. Are there Pulmonias in Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas also? What would I pay for a bus in these three cities... from the pier to downtown?

Re: Pulmonias

by cynthiastern

I'll give you what I know since no one else seems interested in helping. I was in PV last May and I have to say I didn't see or hear anything about Pulmonias. Maybe that is something that hasn't been introduced there yet. The cost of the Bus was $0.50 US and they run all day long. Taxis should be around $4 or $5 from the cruise ship dock to town - their rates are posted but make sure you ask first. Also, make sure you look on the windows of the Buses for "El Centro" - NOT "Tunnel" or you will end up taking the long way. On the way back look for "Hotels" or "Wal Mart" and keep an eye out for the Docks. Hope this help.

Comments