Amapas 214, Col. Emiliano Zapata, Puerto Vallarta, Pacific Coast, 48300, Mexico

Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 58% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Great Buy For the Money

Stayed here after doing a lot of research online. The check-in was quick and and everyone was polite. The rooms are really basic. Not a TV. The bed was hard. The room extremly clean. Nice pool.

Unique Quality: Great locatation. Right on Playa Los Muertos.

More about Tropicana Hotel

will never return

My husband and I booked a room last summer at this hotel and we were extremely disappointed. The room they gave us seemed like the worst possible, even though the hotel appeared almost empty of customers. The power went out frequently, causing our already faulty airconditioning to go out and we were forced to rely only on the ceiling fan in the hot, humid summer weather. The room faced the street and because our airconditioning was not working we had to open the windows and there was street work being done directly outside of our room all night long. I hardly slept. We were met with very little sympathy from the staff. Needless to say, we checked out and stayed at the Los Arcos hotel and we thought the worst was over, however, on our return from Puerto Vallarta, we found that the Tropicana still charged use for our full 7 night stay even though we left after the first night. We had to file complaints with the online service that we booked the hotel through and our credit card company to have the money refunded. The hotel Tropicana refused to assist us or have anything to do with the matter when we called them (by the way, we are spanish speaking so there was no communication problem). We love Puerto Vallarta and have traveled there several times, but will never go to the Tropicana again!

Best surprise, no surprise!

by TripAdvisor Member Haligone

We went for the location. Near the Blue Chairs but not so close as to be too intense. Right on the beach but with a clean pool and beach bar. Nice to know where breakfast is but lunch and dinner we can take care of. Clean rooms, nothing fancy, with fan or AC, perfect.
What we found was a friendly hotel with great ammenities at a price that can't be beat with all of the things we wanted and none of the things we didn't.
Take nothing of value. Hotel only has pain in the --- safety deposit boxes at front desk, not in room safes. We had two very expensive watches stolen from the room. What can I say? First time travellers to Mexico. Next time we take Timex. Hotel staff were very apologetic and helpful.
Try Roppollo Roso restaurant in the hills and the all you can eat Mexican bbq in town.
We are going back this year. Can't wait.

Love The Tropicana

by TripAdvisor Member wonderland

My sister and I have gone to the Tropicana for the last three years. We love the location and the fact that we can walk to almost anywhere. We have had such pleasant experiences at the Tropicana. Management, wait staff, and maids have always been so pleasant and helpful to us.The rooms are clean with beautiful views. I would much rather stay there than some of the other more expensive places. We feel very comfortable and at home there. We love walking along the beach and all the way to the Malecon. I wish I could go again this year but will have to wait until next year. I almost didn't want to write a review to encourage people to go. There might not be room for me next time!!

Perfection!

We stayed at the Tropicana last spring break and hope to stay again this year! If you want a relaxing, beautiful and affordable vacation the Tropicana is for you! We were amazed at the cleanliness of the grounds and the rooms. The rooms are simple with nice sized balconies most of which look out towards the ocean! The pool is nice and clean. The beach area has many palapas to choose from with very attentive waiters that seem to know just when you need a little refreshment! Of all the things we loved about the Tropicana, the location was probably our favorite. We walked into old town every day to partake of the culture, shopping and amazing restaurants!

returned Dec 14 from stay at tropicana

I feel badly for the folks who had a bad experience last summer but after just returning on Dec 14th I have to say it must have been a rare exception.
I had checked this site prior, but reserved at the hotel Rosita for the first 2 nights of our stay since I knew it (our stay there was nice too).I wanted to check out Tropicana in person. My husband and I went to see it and really liked what we saw, great pool(a priority for me) lovely grounds,perfect location. Our room was overlooking the pool on the 3rd floor,king bed(hard but pv standard) and no tv(which we didn't miss)ultra clean,lots of towels(folded into ruffles and bird shapes), all the staff we dealt with were great, beach right out the front door,excellent waiters, nice beach area,rustling palms.
we did do 1 time share talk during the week we were there (for $300 in cash, nothing else is worth it) at the "grand Mayan" hard to explain to the guy that we really preferred the tropicana! At the grand M it's a long walk to the beach,the pool,the grandiose lobby,the restaurant,not to mention a pain in the neck ride to and from town all the time.. but that's another subject. Anyway,Tropicana is the greatest in our book!

Gay travellers may not want to book at Tropicana

Recently a letter was sent to Rainbow High Vacations in Toronto by the Tropicana asking them not to send anymore business to them. Rainbow High Vacations is a gay travel agency. I stayed at the Tropicana last Christmas and two guys were asked to not hug by security. This is unfortunate as the Tropicana is a nice hotel, with a nice pool. The rooms are simple but well appointed. It is located right on the edge of the blue chairs and the gay beach. The people going there are not looking for trouble and enjoying their vacation like anyone else. Hopefully the Tropicana will reconsider their discriminatory policies and appreciate the business of all who wish to vacation there.

Best On The Coast

I have stayed at that Tropicana Hotel in Vallarta numerous times. I have never had a bad experience from the room, the ambiance, or helpfulness of the staff. Beautiful pool area, nice restaurant, right on the beach and walking distance to the best shopping areas. Much better than the high dollar "American" hotel chains on the north end of Vallarta. Just a short walk from the Tropicana you can experience a truly mexican shopping and dining experience. You're going to love it!!

Excellent Hotel -- and I'm gay!

My partner of 21 years -- and I -- have stayed at the Tropicana Hotel for the past 11 years. Although it is NOT a gay hotel -- we have never had a problem with anyone there. Management, staff, maids -- all have one thing in mind -- to make our vacation a great one. Because of the many times we visit, they know us -- they know we're gay -- and they welcome us with open arms. I would never think of staying anywhere BUT the Tropicana.

Never a problem here. The hotel is clean, comfortable, and afforable.

Tropicana Hotel confirms that it is Gay Friendly

I am a gay man and I have been staying at the Tropicana Hotel for the past several years. I read the review entitled, "Gay travellers may not want to stay at the Tropicana." I found what was stated in this review very hard to believe.
I had my travel agent call the hotel. She spoke directly to the manager and she was assured that the Tropicana is a gay friendly hotel. He said that in the letter sent to Rainbow High Vacations, the hotel asked not to be listed as a "gay hotel." He said their hotel is a family hotel and that they accept all people regardless of sexual orientation, race or religion. Rainbow Travel misinterpreted this.
While the Tropicana is not a 5 star hotel, it is certainly in a 5 star setting, has very clean rooms and I have always found the staff very friendly and helpful.

Comments