Velas Vallarta

Av Costera s/n, LH2, Fracc Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta, Pacific Coast, 48354, Mexico

Velas Vallarta Suite Resort
Booking.com Expedia.com amextravel.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 37% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

Our home for 2 weeks

Under construction - please don't rate! :)

Unique Quality: Three buildings make up this beautiful hotel and all three face the Bahia de Banderas. Velas Vallarta has excellent service at the pool, and has great restaurants and shops downstairs. Unlike other popular hotels, Velas Vallarta is authentically Mexican and isn't an international hotel chain. Velas Vallarta and its location in Marina Vallarta is incredibly safe. Not once did we feel any threat.

Directions: Marina Vallarta - nearby the airport, the marina's shopping center & restaurants, and only a short 10 minute drive to downtown Puerto Vallarta.

More about Velas Vallarta

The Velas...

by slaybelle

The Velas Vallarta hotel is about a 2 minute drive from the airport, a 30 second
drive to the Marina Vallarta (definitely a cool place full of ethnic restaurants and
shops), and it's about a 5-10 minute drive to downtown Puerto Vallarta. For solo
travellers this place is extremely safe. You're outside of the downtown crowds,
but there are also a good dozen of hotels in the area, so you're not alone. The
staff was extremely friendly, and there are always people there to meet.

Some things to do in PV: wander around the streets of downtown. There are so
many little shops and restaurants to explore, it's great! We took a taxi south of
the downtown of PV to the area where they filmed 'the Night of the Iguana' -
that seems to be their big claim to fame. There's also a little beachside town
north of PV too that has great little restaurants set up under tents on the beach.
It was great to escape from the rest of the tourists.

I found that it was easy to just explore through the city on our own. Some days
we just spent it by the pool and in the gardens, and on the beach. Other days
we wandered around downtown, exploring the shops. Some days we went out of
town.

- Robyn for more Resort-Selections click HERE INEXPENSIVE HOTELS IN PV ENTER HERE

Go for a visit, but don't buy timeshare

Velas Vallarta is one of the older hotels on the strip between the marina and the airport. It's lushly landscaped, with a terrific view of Banderas Bay. I've stayed in rooms ranging from studios to ocean-front suites, and while the artwark leaves something to be desired, all the rooms are comfortable and most of the facilities work most of the time.
I've found the staff to be friendly and attentive.

Puerto Vallarta itself is pretty isolated - there are no nearby Mayan ruins or ppoints of interest. I'd describe the town as a pricey tourist trap. Prices generally are as high or higher than in the U.S., both at the resort and in town.

Nowadays almost wherever you go in the sunny southlands you are assaulted by waves of timmeshare salesmen. The irritating thing about Velas is, that even once you've BOUGHT a timeshare you get arm-twisted at 3+ hour "breakfast" sessions to "improve" your accomodations. It's all [--]. I would tell anyone: don't buy into a timeshare. You get better deals on vacation specials - I've seen all-inclusive deals for Velas at less than the cost of airfare down!

Best Vacation Yet!

My husband and I just got back from Puerto Vallarta March 6,2004. We stayed a week at Velas Vallarta and enjoyed every moment! My husband had fun doing the water aerobics every day; there was volleyball, in and out of the water; there were kyaks, parachute rides, whale watching, etc. The service was excellent and all of the waiters spoke very good english. We enjoyed the all inclusive treatment. Never had to think about where, how much, what to wear, how to find, etc. It was the kind of vacation that we didn't have to think about anything. Our last day was highlighted by the whales breaching off shore! What a sight! A perfect end for a perfect week. It was hard to leave. If you are going, beware of the time share push. It's everywhere, but you can say no.
Yes, there are people selling stuff on the beach, but they are very nice and if you say no, they will go away. It's part of the ambiance!
You can do as much as you want, or do nothing at all. The city is clean, the people are very nice. We're going back!

What ever you do don{t go to the timeshare presentation!

I did not stay at the Velas Vallarta, however, I did attend their timeshare presentation. It is absolutely a high pressure sales pitch that is difficult to get out of. The lure of the "free" gifts is not worth the waste of your vacation time or the aggrivation to get away from these sharks. We told them up front that we were not interested in buying that we were only there for the "free gift". They wanted to show us around anyway. After a dry sandwich and coke, we toured the property. It´s nice, but I prefer the property I am currently staying at. We sat down and started doing "numbers". OUTRAGEOUS NUMBERS! They write everything down on several different pieces of paper making it very hard to understand. They show you several differnt ways that after 25 years they buy the property back from you at and increased value.
It´s all very confusing and the management staff was rude and became very upset when we wouldn´t buy. At one point I thought he was going to take our "free" gift away. We did get out with our "free" gift. That cost us two and a half hours of our vacation time. BEWARE!!!

Ok but they downgrade timeshare people to inferior suites

by TripAdvisor Member lolei

We just returned. The property is lovely. The food, service and majority of the staff exceptional. The only complaint is they oversold the hotel by 19 rooms per day and all the timeshare vacationioners were downgraded to studios. Althought the studios are well appointed, they do not have balconeys. Very disapointing if you hold a confirmation for a one bedroom unit. I heard other people who had two and three bedrooms units suffered the same fate. I suggest anyone on a timeshare to contact the hotel before arrival to ensure they are not downgraded.
They will try to offer you a discount on the all inclusive meal plan, but it does not make up for the downgrade. I urge all timeshare members to contact their timeshare companies to express concern over this. The guests on prepackaged holidays tours are not treated this way. Good Luck to you all.

Not worth the all inclusive

Just returned from beautiful Puerto Vallarta. Great place. Lots to see and do...we couldnt even fit it all in. We had a 1 bedroom suite confirmed through RCI at the Velas. Once we arrived, we were told that they overbooked and did not have a room for us at all. Very disappointing! So they put us up in the Mariott Casamagna, about a 5 minute walk from the Velas. We ended up in a regular room vs. the suite we were supposed to get. The Velas gave us their all inclusive deal for free to make up the inconvenience. It was a blessing in disguise. We found the all inclusive at the Velas to be a big rip off. The food was not very good at all, not many choices either. No bar on the property except for the swim up bar in the pool. You have to wait about 15 minutes for them to bring you your drink, and they even got it wrong most of the time. We've done all inclusive before in Cancun and absolutely loved it. The Mariott ended up being a way better hotel than the Velas, even though we did not have our suite. We usually ate at the many restaurants nearby at the Marina, all very reasonably priced and very good. The Velas would probably be ok without the all inclusive (which RCI forces you to do). The grounds are very nice, tropical gardens etc. But thats about it. Can't say anything about the rooms since we never even got ours.

Puerto Vallarta

by sunquest

"It's always great fun in PV"

Our timeshare resort, Velas Vallarta is located near the exclusive Marina area where we often take walks and have our morning coffee. There are only a few restaurants at the marina I would recommend for food, service and longevity, they are Victor's (Mexican good food great prices and service) and Porto Bella (Italian, prices are high end, classy place to dine). There are usually two or more new ones each time we re-visit there on vacation. I feel that Velas Vallarta is in one of the better locations in PV, it's not overcrowded and not isolated either. When you visit Puerto Vallarta be sure to take the bus to the Marina at least once, go to the top of the Lighthouse, sip on a Margarita and take in the view!

Family vacation in Puerto Vallarta

by Carmanah

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico
Location: 20° 40' North, 105° 16' West
Population: 177,830 (2005 Census)
Founded: 1851

In the summer of 1995, my parents had thought we'd drive down the Oregon coast for one week in August. Due to the poor exchange rate at the time, we discovered that it was cheaper for our family of four to fly down to Puerto Vallarta and stay there for two weeks than it would be to drive down to the USA and only stay for one.

All through out my life our family drove to our vacation location. Sometimes we'd go camping, sometimes we'd stay in motels, and if we were lucky we'd go on a big trip down to California, but for the most part our vacations were spent in Canada. And whereever we went, we drove. So the fact that we'd actually fly down to Mexico - a country with a different culture and language - was incredibly exciting for us!

We took Canadian Holiday airlines from Vancouver to Puerto Vallarta, stopping briefly in Mazatlan. The flight took 4 hours. Our hotel, the Velas Vallarta, was located a 2 minute drive away from the airport in the town of Marina Vallarta, a 10 minute drive north of Puerto Vallarta. While August is typically monsoon season, we had gorgeous weather when we were there.

Puerto Vallarta is located on the coast of the Pacific on the Bahia de Banderas. The nice thing about Puerto Vallarta was that the city has culture - it wasn't just built for instant tourism. It's also situated in a rainforest zone, so just a short drive from the city, you could be in the middle of a jungle.

While some touristy things are great, my family tried to see the real Puerto Vallarta, and the authentic Mexican towns in the state of Jalisco. Somedays we'd stay by our pool and relax, but most days we were out there exploring, trying new foods, discovering new areas, and experiencing new culture.

Rent Our Condo

by fire00starter

"Rent our 2 Bed/2 Bath Ocean Front Condo"

I have a 2 bedroom / 2 bath ocean-front condo located in the marina area of Puerto Vallarta, MX. The condo is located within one of the nicest 5-star resorts in Puerto Vallarta. Accommodations for up to 6 adults include: king master w/full bath, guest room with 2 double beds, livingroom w/sleeper sofa, 2nd full bath, kitchen with breakfast bar, large balcony overlooking the beautiful ocean, tropical gardens & 3 pools. Resort also has 2 restaurants, swim-up bar, convenience store, kids club, nightly entertainment, lounge bar, internet, and golfcourse across the street. Condo is within walking distance to a large grocery store, shopping, and numerous cafes & restaurants. For more info about the RESORT go to: www.velasvallarta.com (our condo is the same as the 2bed/2bath suite on the website) Our condo is NOT a part of the all-inclusive program the resort offers. This is our PRIVATE RESIDENCE, so you must contact ME for rental info, Velas Vallarta cannot help you with the rental. Please email me for more info & availability.

"Rental Rates:"

(Sleeps up to 6 adults)

Dec 15-May 1 $120/night
May 2-Dec 14 $160/night

Contact me at: chaninriley@3palmstravel.com

"3 Palms Travel"

I can help you with your travel needs. I'm a home bases travel agent, who specializes in Mexico & Carribean Vacations. If you'd like a quote for future vacations, feel free to contact me . I do most of my business online, so let me help send you on your next adventure!!

Chanin Riley
3 Palms Travel
chaninriley@3palmstravel.com

Travelling between Velas Vallarta and Hola Vallarta

by shecasper

What is the best way to get to Hola Vallarta (north hotel zone) to Velas Vallarta (Marina)? Walk, cab, bus, water taxi? If so how long does it take?

We will be at these two resorts June 16 - 23. Will anyone else here be there then?

by YVRDave

This is a very good map for this. It would be about a 30-40 minute walk, it will be hot so take that in mind

by Reynald

The best way and cheap is to take a local BUS and only 10 min. away and less than a dollar. taxi will charge a lot more but you arrive within less time.

by dag1951

Hi,

We just returned from PVR last week and the buses are great and so are the taxis. Just remember to ask the price before getting in the taxis. The buses run every ten minutes and are a blast to use!!! If you get the chance go to the south of PVR and see the jungle area. We stayed at a resort at the south end of Banderos Bay, 12 miles from downtown PVR. It was the best location I have ever been! See my posted question about the "Night of the Iguana" movie set area near where our hotel was. No one has responded to my question. Have a wonder time and try the local buses. The water taxis are reliable and fun too! Remember to take lots of US $1 dollar bills for tipping the hotel staff and the taxis, or restaurants etc.

Adios,

dag1951

by shecasper

Thank you for the information. I was wondering if there is a water taxi from the marina to the north hotel zone across that bridge of water...If so, details please.

Comments