3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Retorno Las Palmas S/N, Rincon de Guayabitos, Riviera Nayarit, 63727, Mexico
Expedia.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Hotel Decameron Los Cocos

los cocos is the place to be, fun living is the life for me....

by TripAdvisor Member fifi_lacarnivali

I had to get my two cents in with all the excitement. It is fun reading the reviews from people we met while at the cocos for two weeks. Hi Paul, i recognized your enthusiasm right away. Okay, i just read the review from surrey and i second those emotions. except bruce has left the hotel to move onto other things. apparently this hotel shuts down to canadians starting in april until the fall. los cocos is solidly three star, but a really good three star hotel. the food is always fresh and well prepared. there just isn't as much variety as five star hotels. the staff here is excellent and the hotel is being cleaned constantly! the rooms in cocos one and five and two are smaller and noisier than in three and four. i believe the former mentioned rooms are in the economy class and the other rooms are standard or superior.
however, all buildings have a pool and wonderful surrounding vegetation, except cocos three, which is right next to the tennis courts. the rooms at cocos three however, are large and private. two restaurants and two bars are right on the beach in palapa style buildings. the beach itself, is very small and crowded, but fun and full of carnival type activity. take an umbrella or buy one on the beach as there are NO palapas on this beach. if you want shade and quietude, go to the beach club. the beach club is a remote, world class beach with hardly anybody on it. i will be happy to answer any questions regarding this resort. oh yes, if you read this paul, i just HAD to tell you that our flight was delayed a whole day so we didn't have to leave cocos until sunday! Loooooved that san blas tour!

Don't go during Easter!!!

Hello Everyone....

Decameron Los Cocos is an all inclusive resort located in a small mexican fishing village, which swells to huge numbers during the Easter season, so you will not find peace and quiet here.

My main concern is the fact that the "Adults Only" Los Cocos 4 Building was filled with screaming children, who were in the "Adults Only" pool constantly, causing it to froth and turn a lovely colour of green - yellow, while the security guards looked onward.

This resort caters to Mexicans and I felt like I was intruding in their space. The children were friendly, but the adults were not. The staff were hot and cold and looked like they were told to smile.

The food got boring, and repetitive, but the restaurant on the hill was stunning, and I would recomend it to everyone travelling to Ricon du Guayabitos.

Look for 35 peso bottles of Vodka at La super Mercado in La Penita, (LM Brand with a picture of the russian Kremblin, in plastic bottles for easy transport into your country of residence).

Over all I did'nt go there expecting much, and I did come home relaxed with a lot of great memories.

The beach club was Amazing....Huge breakers with boogie boards, very nice and very big and isolated. (not like the resort beach, which got very polluted)

The town of Guayabitos is a little poor, and a lot dirty. but prices are cheap and it's fun to live like that for a while...2 weeks is a little much though. Found Puerta Vallerta to be a welcomed day trip. I reccommend renting a car with new found friends and hitting the road for a couple of days into Puerta Vallera and Punta du Mita. Ask for Black Bear in Punta Mita to take you to the islands for the wilderness ocean tour. ($80 US). WOW. What an experience.

To conclude:

Get a superior room or you'll be sorry (some regular rooms don't have windows)

Don't go with great expectations of a 4 star. (More like a 2 star Canadian style)

Get ready to live like a Mexican in Mexico

OK for the Price, Don't pay full price. Wait for a deal.

Hope you have fun...

Scott

Ricos Tacos

by Cherie_J about Ricos Tacos

This is the best Taco stand in all of Ricon de Guayabitos. Behind the stand is the family resturant...and they play the best salsa music here.

Awesome Place

Just returned from Christmas vacation in the fishing village of Rincon de Guayabitos (outside Puerto Vallarta). We are a young outdoorsy couple who enjoy good drinks, good food, good hospitality and lots of activity. This is exactly what we found at Los Cocos. The Superior room was huge, the food was awesome. In 7 days, not one repeat in food choices, always fresh seafood, salads, fresh fruit, pork, etc. The staff were very helpful and were very clean. Bottled water was used ALWAYS and the cooking staff wore gloves and masks. The beach activities were great...beach aerobics, volleyball, ocean kayaking, catamarans, bicyles, etc....all included with the hotel for free. The majority of people at the hotel were of mexican decent, with the remaining few..mainly Canadians. WE all mingled well. You can get by with a few main words of spanish..and most of them can speak a few words of english..enough to get by. Beer off the resort was cheap cheap...like 70 cents. We were told to visit Tequila Willy's on the beach just a short walk from the hotel...we found some awesomely smooth tequila (tasting like amaretto), he had Canadian paraphenila plasterd all over the bar...and even had it on the Hockey Game...Had a great New Years Dinner at Los Cocos, followed by a bonfire on the beach at Tequila Willy's. We would definitely go back...If you are easy-going and enjoy anybody's company..then you'll have a great time. If you're looking to party it up all night long withi a million americans and canadians...then this isn't the place... Have fun...and Feliz Nuevo Ano!

We'll be back!

Los Cocos is a wonderful place. The staff is awesome, the food is very good, I have never stayed in such a clean hotel, there is always someone mopping or cleaning. Make sure you go to the market in La Penita, wait'll you see the "buses". Try the whale and dolphin watching, we saw 5 whales, tons of dolphins so close you could pet them, turtles, sardines and a huge manta ray. If you go to the beachclub make sure you check the color of the flag for the roughness of the ocean, be very careful, get your self used to the rip zone before you start to boogie board, you can get hurt very bad if you're not careful. It's a blast when you get the hang of it! There isn't an ATM at the hotel but they do exchange money into pesos. If you want quiet go to the adult pool or the beach club otherwise the beach in front of the hotel is very busy. Make sure to get up early and walk down the beach. There are fishermen with their catch of the day, I've never seen such big shrimp. The pelicans are unbelievable, they stand in line waiting for the fishermen to throw them the guts, etc. from the fish they are cleaning. Everyone is so friendly, some of the staff do speak very good English but it is really worth your while to take a quick Spanish course before going.

Best resort we have been to in Mexico

Jan 2005 will see us vacationing at Los Cocos for the third time. I can't say enough good about this place but I really know I should keep it a secret.
The staff at the resort are so friendly and go the extra mile to make your vacation the best. In only a few days many of the staff know your name and room number.
The food and bars are really good. On the beach at the resort are activites and fun things to do all day long if you wish to take part. The rooms are very clean. We have only stayed at Cocos 4 and the pool there is adult only. The rooms at cocos 4 are newer and much larger but there are a lot of steps to get to the rooms as Cocos 4 is across the street and on a hillside.
There is a beach club that is about a 20 minute bus from the resort. At the beach club there is food and drinks and you can walk the beautiful beach and feel like you are the only one there. Its very quiet except for the surf pounding.
If you seeking a quiet relaxing vacation this is a good choice.However if its night life you desire I would suggest being closer to PuertoVallarta which is about an hour to the south.

A Canadian secret!

by TripAdvisor Member jetred2

We stayed for a week in March, 2004. This place is a well-kept secret, about an hour from the Puerto Vallarta airport. The resort is the only one in the town of about 5,000. There are lots of small hotels which cater mainly to Mexicans.

The bay is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. The beach is small but adequate. The hotel owns a beach club a few miles away and will transport you there. A great way to spend another day. The town of Guayabitos caters mostly to the Canadian and Mexican tourists. The Mexicans flock in on the weekends. We really enjoyed mixing with Mexicans also enjoying a nice holiday.

The rooms at the hotel vary depending on location. We were at the top of the hill in the "adult" building. A great view of the resort and the Bay of Guayabitos. Our room was large enough to drive a couple of cars into it!

The grounds of the resort are quite pretty, the food quite adequate and the entertainment lots of fun. Be sure to walk or take transportation to the neighbouring towns as they are quite interesting as well.

Looking forward to a return vacation to Guayabitos.

A tiny slice of heaven

by TripAdvisor Member GNovik

What Puerto Vallarta was like 30 years ago!!! If you are headed here you made a great choice. This is about the closest to the REAL Mexico that you can get. We had an amazing vacation here. The hotel provided everything we wanted and were very friendly. It's not a "party" place, in the sense that there aren't hundreds of drunken kids pretending to be adults. Instead the drinks and food are well prepared and everything is clean. Other people have mentioned the "Beach Club"...it's a 15 minute shuttle bus away from the main town and absolutely beautiful. Virtually deserted. But the hotel still feeds you and provides drinks when you are there! The Christmas celebrations were very traditional and family oriented. We've been to a lot of places in Mexico but this hotel and town really impressed us with its genuine Mexican flavour. Jogging along the long curving beach in the morning you will find fishermen selling their fresh catch. Others are making juices from fresh fruit. There are many side trips like Thursday Market in La Penita that will knock you out. Great espresso coffee at George and Gary's in Guayabitos. The area seems totally safe. Enjoy.

Rincon de Guayabitos

by gypsyT.

What was once a small village nestled in a narrow coastal plain between the Sierra Madre Occidental north of Puerto Vallarta and the Pacific Ocean is growing rapidly into a full-service resort. Situated on the south end of Jaltempa Bay, "Guayabitos" shares a tranquil beach for miles along the bay with its northern neighbor - La PeƱita de Jaltempa.
Each year, during the month of February is celebrated the Tournament of Sport Fishing of the Sail-Fish.
Among the most beautiful beaches in Rincon de Guayabitos are:
El Beso
Freideras
Del Toro, in this place you can admire an unforgettable scenery

Casablanca Hotel - Rincon de Guayabitos

by L2canada

"Quaint vacation destination"

Great hotels and beaches in a quiet corner of Mexico.

getting married in Guayabitos

by mimimelle2

My fiance and I want to get civilly married, on the beach, In Rincon or La Penita, on February 14th, 2009. We are renting a condo there from Jan. to April. We want just a small wedding, the 2 of us, with the witnesses.
Anybody has any tip on how to find a celebrant and a photographer? All we have seen on the Internet are big hotels where you can get married, rather expensive..
Any info would be welcome! Thanks, Mimi

Re: getting married in Guayabitos

by Jetgirly

I would look on the Sayulita Life website, as most of the services available in Sayulita could be available in Rincon or La Penita (for a price).

chetumal

by jbobbitt

Can anyone recommend a budget hotel near the bus station in Chetumal.

Re: chetumal

by matkirk

If you want budget, but reasonable and clean then I recommend Casa Blanca, well located and decent price. Also hotel Principe is cheap and los cocos as well. And they are all safe!

here are some pics of the rooms for you.

Hope this helps you mate,
regards
Mat

Medical care

by nanoonorth

We are interested in moving to the Rincon de Guaybitos area but have been unable to find any information on the internet concerning medical facilities in the immediate area. We would appreciate it if someone could provide us with particulars as to where the closest medical clinic and hospital is located.

RE: RE: Medical care

by Gatopardo

Very nice idea of moving to Guayabitos and very smart to start looking for resources in advance.

1. If you have difficulties trying to find Hospitals or Health Centers in Guayabitos, it could be important to locate at least doctors you can trust, if you are relocating thru a real estate agent, you can ask them this sort of questions. But, if not, you can approach some people who already live there, It's common to find they use a private doctor or a private hospital before using local health centers.

2. In your search, use Hospitales, Clinicas o Centros de Salud en Compostela, Compostela is "county" for Guayabitos, from where, Rincon de Guayabitos happen to be the tourism area.

3. I am trying to get you the Centros de Salud en Compostela or near by, I am sure there are some, you can recognize them by the sign of IMSS at the entrance. But, if you keep on going in your search, I will keep searching as well, it's an interesting question people can ask me later. I am now searching thru the IMSS delegacion Nayarit, I am not very lucky if I focus online.. I might need to ask someone else for that.

4. My husband is commenting me now that maybe the largest medical center in that area might end being Puerto Vallarta, but it's not a real cheerful idea to rush in an emergency and have to cross the mountain with the crowd they usually have.

I know I went a bit beyond answering your question, now I understand why the posting, it's difficult to find it online.

I will keep an eye on this one.

Good luck