Calle Jose-Mariscal, Sayulita, Nayarit, Mexico

• Adorable Beachy Boutique Hotel

Petit Hotel d'Hafa is a tiny, six-room boutique hotel in Sayulita. It is located a block from the town square and approximately three blocks from the beach (on the north side of town). I stayed there for five nights in June, 2008.

I had no qualms about paying the hotel deposit in cash at the bank (as I wanted to get rid of some extra pesos), but I have to say I was surprised on arrival to find out that they had no record of my reservation (despite having my cash!). Because they had lost my reservation I was upgraded to a more expensive room, which featured a king-sized bed, mini-fridge, air-conditioning and lots of room to hang my wet beach clothes. There were only a few things I didn't love about the simple, rustic room: the fact that my bathroom window had no glass so everyone could see me shower, and the four-inch gap under the door that allowed a lot of bugs in at night. The hotel staff promised to fix the glass on two occasions, but it was never repaired.

Hafa is a small, simple, budget hotel that some compare to a hostel. Despite a few disappointments, it had much more charm and comfort than Hotel Diamante (where I stayed last time), and only cost about $10 more per night. The decor is really stylish, the staff are very helpful and the few rooms afford you lots of privacy. If you're looking for the coolest hotel in town, you'll find it at Petit Hotel d'Hafa.

Directions: One block from the town square.

Comments