More about Playa Escondida

Relaxing Beach HIdeaway

by TripAdvisor Member mjwnyc

We had a wonderful week at Playa Escondida. The food at the restaurant was very good. It was expensive. Particularly soft drinks at $3 a drink. I recommend stocking up on waters in town. The pool was wonderful and the bungalows comfortable and charming. The beach is a bit to rough to swim in, but beautiful to relax on. The walk to Sayulita was a bit of a trek, definitely bring sneakers not just flip-flops.

Wonderful experience

by TripAdvisor Member clson

It is small, funky, family run and fabulous. A pleasant 20 minute walk to town, but otherwise could have been a million miles away. No beach vendors, no hassles. Be aware that the rooms/cabins vary considerably and some are quite rustic. We stayed in Sol 1 and our only complaint (if you can call it that) was the never ending pounding roar of the surf. A lovely, very warm pool, a good restaurant (not excellent, but good), miles of beaches with lovely sand, interesting coves and rocks, no phones, no TV's (but internet at the bar if you want it!). Unobtrusive, but adorable dogs. Liz, the resident 10 year old, is a charmer, as is her smaller brother. Alexandro in the bar/restaurant was fabulous and Fernando, the chef, was approachable and keen to please. We'd go back in a minute.

Incredible

by TripAdvisor Member DocHawg

I actually don't want to write this review, as I don't want to let anyone else in on this hideaway. Without a doubt the best deal in all of Mexico. The rates could easily be twice as much. Booked this hotel last minute for a quick weekend getaway for my birthday and am very glad I did. The resort is amazing, very secluded and relaxing as others have stated. I have stayed at the Tides Mayan Riviera, La Casa que Canta,Ezperanza and Las Venatana's within the last few years, and would rate this resort in the same category. Obviously, Escondida is not quite as "nice" as the others but definetly has the same feel for a fraction of the price. I would stay here numerous times before returning to those more highly "rated" resorts.

Beyond our expectations

by TripAdvisor Member Reynolds019

We loved this place. Our room was unbelievable, I think it was the Luna 1. Private beach, great pool, and outdoor hot tub overlook the ocean and the whales swimming by. Food was great, staff Very friendly. Bar was great, what more can we say!
Town is close enough to walk or take a taxi, it is nice not being right in town but close enough where you don't feel like your in the middle of nowhere. Sayulita is a cute real Mexican town, you don't feel like a tourist even though there are plenty of Gringos around. We would go back here!

Highly Recommended

by TripAdvisor Member cavernicola

After 5 days at the hotel, I was amazed how great it was. This hotel has a unique vibe that made my vacations there not only unforgettable but also energy recharging. The combination of sea, jungle, great and beautiful infrastructure and staff turns this hotel into an experience that you want to repeat.
My wife and me stayed at the love nest and loved it. Cozy, detail design and the view from the room is beautiful, the deck is great to watch sunsets and overall it was Excellent. The food at the restaurant, the staff, the services... Excellent. Did not find any little detail we were not happy with.
Will come back for sure.

Catch 22

by TripAdvisor Member nosnittap

Here's the rub: I can tell the truth about this amazing place and face the problem of not being able to find a room for our next trip in August (as is happening now), or I can lie and avoid half the planet descending on Playa Escondida...
I guess I'll take the high road: Beautiful jungle canopy, crashing waves, creative open-air rooms, no jet-skis, hammocks all over the place, fantastic people, friendly dogs, hummingbirds. great food, cold drinks (try Alejandro's Clementina), empty beach, butterflies, pelicans, cormorants, surprisingly good Mexican Cabernet Sauvignon, fun hike into town, Puros, quiet aplenty to catch up on 6 or 7 books, teak tub of pacificos on the beach...
You'd hate it.

Really not feelin' it....

by TripAdvisor Member StraightDirt

I had high hopes based on all the glowing reviews of this place, but it really did not live up to the hype. I never write reviews, but felt like I simply had to in this case. Ok the setting is pretty, but our accommodation (the Guest House) was really moldy and dark. Just kinda sad and depressing. The beach area is nice, but the surf was so violent during our stay that we were never able to swim in the ocean. The restaurant was mediocre, better for lunch than dinner. And the drinks were lackluster. Trust me, I could have used a good Margarita. Oh, and you really cannot walk to town from the hotel along the shoreline. Walking home in the dark at night would be impossible. Just some things I wished I had known before I parted with my cash...
Next time we return to the area, we will skip Sayulita in favor of San Pancho/ San Francisco.

Restaurant and Bar are the weak spots

by TripAdvisor Member zoedogminneapolis

My husband and I had a fantastic stay here! Great accommodations! We stayed in three different suites, Sol 2, Studio Rocosa, and Casa Rocosa. We liked the different aspects of all three of the rooms. The pool was great for swimming and relaxing. The beach, in front of the hotel, was way too rocky for swimming.

The only things we didn't like were the Bar and Restaurant. On arrival we ordered 2 Margaritas, they were half full and overflowing with ice. A couple days later we ordered 2 more Margaritas and the same thing happened. Quite a rip-off at $6 each. If you want an awesome Margarita, any of the restaurants in town will not disappoint..The dinners at the restaurant were mediocre to bad. It's best for breakfast or an afternoon snack.

I'd recommend going into town for most meals, lots of variety and excellent food. My top 3 faves are Sayulita Cafe, Ivan's Taco, and Sayulita Fish Taco's. Go to Choco Banana for awesome expresso drinks.
I can't wait to go back to Sayulita next year!

Coming with small kids

by TripAdvisor Member maxhannah1

We just got back from 6 days at Playa Escondida and the reviews I read here really helped. No two people experience the same place in the same way, so maybe mine will help fill the experience with small kids void. Let me just say that if a hotel with room service, tv, phone, perfect working electricity, etc. are musts for you, then this place may be a bit too rustic. Some parents with teenagers claimed their kids were bored to tears, but my kids loved it. They are 7 and 5 and the beach and pool kept them occupied. We also brought lots of books and used our laptop for movies at night. If you're looking for an alternative to the Four Seasons, then this is the right place. I do think the service could use a bump up as some of our requests were met with a "how urgently do you need that" as opposed to "certainly, right away" or "sure thing, no problem" I felt like they were a little stressed by requests, but that's just my take. Also, we had an animal scurry through our window since there are no windows per se, and they met our concerns with nonchalance. There were these animal droppings at the back of our unit that never got cleaned, things like that. The rooms closer down to the beach are best with kids so that you are not walking too much to get from your room to the pool/restaurant which is really beautifully designed with waterfalls and rocks and a small bridge and perfect for kids. There's a small shallow pool for non-
swimming kids. There's a bathroom right next to the restaurant which is very groovy and clean with sand on the floor. There's sand surrounding the entire pool/restaurant area so be prepared for that. That bucket for cleaning feet next to your room entrance is a must. The pool is heated! Sometimes too much. It can feel like a bathtub even on hot days, so if a cooler plunge is your thing, the pool may be too hot for you). Jacuzzi is great. There's no lounge chairs at the pool, just chairs, so if you want to spread out, the beach hammocks and chairs are for you. They were never crowded. You'll find a spot. Food: I thought is was good. I loved dinner best, b'fast and lunch are decent. The staff are really nice. Be patient as service can be on the slow side. But I thought the drinks at the bar were great, beer was cold and the chef makes up a different dinner menu nightly. Daytime menu is same every day but they were pretty accommodating to make simple stuff for the kids if they are picky eaters. Pancakes and muffins in the morning were my kids favorite. And bacon! I loved the eggs and the salads are fresh and crunchy. Shrimp cocktail and tacos at lunch is amazing. Stick to the fish dishes. Rooms: They supply clean drinking water so no need to buy supplemental water. Great! We had one with two queen beds which I'm learning isn't ideal for 4 people. My kids don't like to sleep in the same bed so we really need two twins for them and a king for us next time. And the ocean noise is loud. If that's a bother, BRING EARPLUGS. I love nature, but the surf is strong. At least the people were quiet. The rooms are clean but can have a musty smell from the ocean. I think I got kind of used to that after a few days. Maid service was great, surfing lessons from Sergio are a must if that's your thing. The surf at Sayulita beach is where you go for easy swimming. And we loved the walk into town, but be prepared with extra water and a snack. It can be hot and dusty but worth it. The surf at the hotel can be rough, but once you watch the tides, there are times when a dip and a boogie board ride are totally possible. If I can do it, you can. And the water is beautiful. The sand is more of the coarse type, sort of like that grainy mustard in color. Lots of great shells for beachcombing. The Spa: amazing. Out in the open, buddha water elements and attention to detail amazing. Get a massage. Overall, we loved the experience at Playa Escondida but wish we could have had better sleeping arrangements. I didn't sleep that well. But I would go back to Sayulita. It's a great little town.

Comments