Playa La Boquilla, Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Booking.com

More about Bahia de la Luna

I will be back!

by TripAdvisor Member jenjones

I'm in Mexico for 2 months on business, and needed some time away. My 5 days at Bahia de la Luna were excellent. I am already planning to stay again next year when I'm in the country.

If you want a small, quiet, un-pretentious beach stay, this is it. Great cabanas, very clean, amazing views, slept to the sound of the waves every night.

Reto and his team are all about providing attentive, yet casual and friendly serivice. The food was excellent, reasonable priced, and exceeded my expectations for a small out of the way place.

I sat in solitude all day on what seemed to be my own private beach. While i was there in the 'hot' season, the weather was excellent (breezy in the shade and just perfect). The water was blue, cool, and amazing. During my stay I saw whales out in the sea, beautiful rays swimming near the beach,nesting opsrey, 3 foot lizards lounging on nearby rocks.

And while the place is a bit out of the way, it is still just a 20 minute drive to nearby towns for markets, looking around, or picking up some necessities.

I look forward to going back next year!

We miss it already

by TripAdvisor Member mcd12476

This was our first trip to Mexico, and we feel so spoiled. The staff, food, view and beach were perfect. The "rustic chic" room was exactly that. Our bed was quite firm, which is good for some, not for all. The lack of hot water was no issue, as the daily temp was warm (not too hot.) I was impressed by the food options, and enjoyed every meal. The ride down to the hotel is rather rough, but from what I understand this is not uncommon for the area. We were more than pleased w/ the experience, and hope to be back!

a wonderful and joyful place

by TripAdvisor Member mjhiggi55

The Hotel Bahia de luna is located on small and dramatically beautiful bay and beach. The water is clear and the waves are very easy and it is an excellent place for swimming and snorkeling. The cabanas are simple, clean and quite comfortable. The food at the restaurant is world class, the service excellent and the friendly interaction with other quests is enjoyable. There are no particular frills there: no TV, Phones, or Video games. If you wanted to chill, have good fun, enjoy the sun and surf, this is the place.

Secluded Oaxaca Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member karabeau

Situated on a small cove that brought in a refreshing breeze as we sat beneath a palapa on the beach, we found a slice of paradise here on our first trip to Mexico. Hotel Bahia de la Luna is the perfect place if you want to feel as if you are on a deserted island with cold beer and awesome guacamole. Reto was a wonderful host (a one man show!) and was very accomodating of our special dietary requests. All in all, a great place if you seek a laid back beach and accomodations without the trappings of a resort.

Blissfully off the grid

by TripAdvisor Member tessnyc

At the end of a five mile dirt road this cluster of cabanas on a beautiful slice of Pacific coast beach is a fabulous getaway. The management is friendly and accommodating, the food is delicious, the guests are interesting. Given all that plus white sand, palm trees, ocean breezes and hammocks, there's really no reason to leave once you're there. Leave your BlackBerry at home!

Enjoyable isolation in a friendly, casual environment.

by TripAdvisor Member dextertracy

Ah, what a delightful couple of days we spent at this beautiful and rustic resort. Staying here is like being a guest at a private home with numerous casas and a fabulous host, tiny staff and a couple of dogs and cats to make it all feel very casual and friendly. Reto is possibly the most relaxed and yet absolutely professional owner/manager in the business and the real trick to his success is to make sure his attentiveness never felt like service. As stated in one of the other reviews I read here, our introduction to Bahia de la Luna started with an almost immediate response to our initial email that provided us with all the necessary information with which to make a booking. This is rare in Oaxaca, unfortunately, and several other emails I sent out to places both on the coast and in the city of Oaxaca have still not been answered a month later.

As others have written, the real benefit of staying here is the lovely and hard to access beach setting that seems very far away from the rest of the area due to the long dirt and gravel road leading in to La Boquilla. We chose not to bring our car over the rough road and instead took a cab until the road turned too rough, then walked the rest of the way down the rutted road to the beach. Certainly not difficult, but also not a place you want to bring suitcases and extra stuff to carry. Others staying there managed just fine with their rental cars, so it is possible, though getting back up the hill took a couple of tries when we left with other guests who had driven in and were kind enough to offer us a ride back to Puerto Angel.

We stayed in a two bedroom cabana higher up that we accessed by climbing up the service road. Overlooking the beach, but with another unrented cabana in between us and the view, we investigated and found a set of steps that was more pleasant and direct for going up and down. Yes, there was evidence of mice and other inhabitants of our rooms and bats roosted on the cooler hillside walls of the cabanas during the daylight hours. Was this a problem? Not at all, nor was the lack of hot water or the necessity of quick showers due to extremely limited water (this is true nearly everywhere in Oaxaca). The rooms were otherwise clean and comfortable, and the screened windows meant no mosquito netting was necessary in our little casa. One note: the two bedroom is really all one room with a central, walled bathroom that does not extend to the thatched ceiling, so if you are seeking privacy from your fellow travelers, it may be better to rent two one-bed units available.

I cannot say enough about the quality of the food and drinks at Bahia de la Luna. The included breakfast buffet more than met our needs. A fuller breakfast menu is also offered at a reasonable price, but the home-baked bread and compotes of fresh fruit (loved the papaya and banana), coffee, juice and cereal of the buffet were more than enough for us. Lunches of ceviche, guacamole and other offerings were fabulous to enjoy under the beach palapas and we probably drank too many margaritas due to Reto's skill at providing them on the rocks rather than the usual tiny blended slushy found nearly everywhere else on the coast. Dinner also showed off Reto's skills as a host and a cook: usually, at some point in the afternoon, he would come over to where we were parked on the beach and let us know what he was thinking of serving that evening and ask if we would like that...again, very casual and yet extremely thoughtful (we're omnivores with little restrictions on our diet and were more than happy to go along with everything he suggested). Our final dinner of blackened tuna was perfectly prepared: crispy on the outside and beautifully tender pink on the inside of a generous triangular cut. A memorable mango and avocado salad was another favorite, simple and delicious.

My traveling partner was content to read and enjoy the ocean breezes while relaxing in the shade of the beach palapa on the adirondack-style chairs provided, while I made use of the complimentary snorkeling equipment to check out the many different kinds of aquatic life among the rocks along the sides of the bay. The other four people staying while we were there made use of the kayaks to explore the bay and were rewarded with views of mantarays. Reto arranged for one couple to take an early morning fishing boat beyond the edge of the bay where they saw numerous dolphins and the fishermen brought in a large number of mackerel (the small boat made the passengers participants in this venture rather than observers). Had I had more time, I might have done the same but the two days spent just relaxing were fine by me.

All in all, this was a very enjoyable splurge for us and one that could prove to be addicting. Not the vacation for people who want to go out to bars, surf or to use as a base for regional exploring, since getting in and out is not so easy to do. Also not a place for folks who don't get around very easily or for anyone expecting luxury accomodations, craving a large, attentive staff to wait on you hand and foot, or afraid of running into the occasional critter either inside or out. This is a great place for people looking for that rarity on the coast of Oaxaca, a beautiful and safe bay in which to swim without fear of rough surf or dangerous riptides. It is also a place that, despite its remoteness, is a haven not just for the guests at de la Luna, but for the surrounding community who also use the beach on a daily basis. I sense that Bahia de la Luna achieves its special location and ambiance due to working with the community to share this lovely location and provide service to them as well as to its guests.

splendid gem

by TripAdvisor Member dwj_nyc

I'm reluctant to review this place because I want it to stay just the
way it is: a tasteful hideaway, nestled in nature. This place really does live up to the hyperbole.

If you're expecting corporate tourism or hippie hedonism, stay away. If you want utter relaxation surrounded by nature, you will be thrilled.

We arrived with grand plans to make day excursions each day, but the sun, the sand and the gentle pacific seduced us--we spent all of our time in the shade or in the water (the snorkeling was the best part!).

The management is very responsive to emails. I sent money via paypal to secure our reservation without any difficulty.

Pan Dulce

by TripAdvisor Member Stusie

The turquoise bay was incredible-warm, crystal clear, and perfect for swimming, snorkeling, and kayaking. The rooms were clean and comfortable-but it was the bread that got me! I don't usually eat bread yet every morning I was unable to resist the fresh, warm, sweet slices of "pan" that came with the included breakfast buffet. The bread was homemade-dense and filled with raisins and pecans or other nuts. Warm with a little pat of REAL butter, and fresh cafe-muy bueno!

Gourmet Food

by TripAdvisor Member sutmandu

Bahia de la Luna was the high point of our trip to the state of Oaxaca. I am usually not one to spend a week at the beach, but I could have easily stayed two weeks. This is the place for anyone looking for relaxation in an isolated beautiful beach setting.

As other reviews have mentioned, the food was phenomenal. We had the luck to be there as the only guests in late May, and owner/chef Reto went out of his way to set us a special table on the beach, lit by torches and under the full moon. Gourmet food every night - the red snapper was the best fish I have ever eaten in my life.

We were thrilled to have the company of three unofficial pets of the hotel on the beach. The dogs watched over us as we snorkeled and the chalk-white cat snuggled up in our laps in the afternoon as we read books on the beach. The whole experience felt more like staying with a fabulous friend rather than at a beach resort. Thank you!

Relaxed, Rustic, Delicious

by TripAdvisor Member RnR_Denver

Reto was an incredible host. For a small rustic boutique experience, we received the perfect balance of privacy and laid back customer service.

We are foodies and found the cuisine to be fresh, of good variety and delicious -- Reto and Columba take great pride in their craft. They offered traditional mexican specialities with a big focus on fish and shellfish. The cocktails were great, and there was a good chilean wine selection too. Overall everything was of excellent value, and we never wanted for anything during our week stay.

Arrival via the water taxi was a fun experience but unnecessary. During this time of year the hillside is very dry and not much is in bloom -- this did not however mar our experience. Don't forget your bug spray. I am usually a mosquito magnet and found that during dinner I needed it!

The beach palapas and adirondack chairs were so relaxing. The private cove was a wonderful place to read and enjoy the company of your traveling companion(s) and the other guests.

We stayed in Casa Ivan on the beach. It was a great casita with a kitchen and private patio overlooking the ocean. While overall very comfortable, the housekeeping could have done a more thorough job.

Note, the airport in Hualtulco does not exchange cash but does have a bank machine.

Comments