Hotel Casa Xochimilco

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Oaxaca de Juárez

You will be eating with locals!You will be eating with locals!

Monte Alban.Monte Alban.

Amazing!Amazing!

entrance to the cafe. go leftentrance to the cafe. go left

road to oaxaca

by dcfan

Is the toll road from Mexico City to Oaxaca particularly windy or prone to inducing nausea? I had a few dizzying rides so far, and don't want to get into a 6 hour ride of curves and dizziness. Has anyone done the trip that can testify as to how straight or non-straight the road is?

Re: road to oaxaca

by melosh

I have waited in responding hoping someone with more recent experience would answer your question and maybe someone still will, but let me give you what I have experienced. I have made the trip twice. Once certainly before the toll road and once about 8 years ago. I remembered the first trip 30 years ago for its twists and turns preventing any sleep, and hoped the second trip would be better. Our bus supposedly took the toll road and it was still quite a ride. Perhaps it was better and my age was a factor in my tolerance, but our kids did not enjoy the night either. Going by night was probably a mistake because the twists kept waking us up. None of us had any nausea or dizziness. The curving area is not 6 hours now. Maybe only 3 hours or so. I have heard that the views are spectacular. I also remember many years ago a similar bad night bus ride from Oaxaca south. These were two of the worst night bus trips of my life. Go by day. Have you considered a Scopalamine patch? Bob

RE: road to oaxaca

by pelon

I drove that road about a year ago, and the road is a very good road, not really straight, because you're driving through some mountains, but not a narrow, winding road. We made it from Mexico to Oaxaca in about 6 hours, as I recall, and that included a stop in Puebla for lunch. Tolls were around 300 pesos, one way.

RE: RE: road to oaxaca

by theNics

I did this trip just today. After traveling on very bumpy roads around the world, this felt like flying, just with a better view. Honestly, it's a very smooth trip, just a bit expensive :-/

Travel Tips for Oaxaca de Juárez

mole mole mole....

by cybercutie

One of the claims to fame here is the mole...a sauce made of different things that you put on chicken, meat, whatever you desire...the chocolate mole is really good, but depending on what you put into the sauce dictates its color...yellow peppers=yellow mole, red peppers=red mole, etc., etc.

I only tried the brown mole, but it was pretty good...quite rich....

A wonderful tradition

by TheWanderingCamel

The variety of traditional dress worn by indigenous Mexican women is truly fabulous, much of it very particular to a group or even a village. Although most women these days wear either a simple version of their traditional clothing or standard European style clothes, it's still possible to see women wearing beautifully embroidered and woven clothing of stunning design. Fiestas invariably see women dressed in their best finery. The villages of the Valles Centrales de Oaxaca are particulary noted for the wonderful variety of the traditional dress worn by the women, with many villages having a style that is particularly their own

Much of what is worn today as traditional dress has very ancient origins though the arrival of the Spanish saw changes in many places as the Catholic priests thought much of the indigenous dress was indecent ( the huipil was then a sleeveless tunic worn over a wrapped skirt - it was open at the sides and simply held closed by a sash around the waist). European-style blouses and skirts were introduced and indigenous clothing adapted to what we see today.

The dress worn by the woman in the photo here is particularly interesting - not only for the shape and style which is typical of the villages of the Tehuantepec Isthmus of Oaxaca, but also or the colour of the cloth it is made from. The deep reddish-purple is obtained from two threads in the weave - the warp being indigo and the weft purpurpa obtained from a shell fish ( the same dye that created the royal purple of Rome and Byzantium), very hard to obtain and nowadays rarely used except by those who cling most strongly to the old traditions. I was delighted to see it among all the bright embroideries of the more usual dress of the women from this part of Oaxaca.

The brilliant colours and complexity of the women's dress is set off beautifully by the simplicity of the mens' dress - white cotton shirts and trousers, red belts and huaraches (sandals) topped off with a woven palm hat.

En Via

by sammiewattson

While in Oaxaca recently, a friend and I went on a tour with En Via, a micro-lending organization that runs ½ day tours out to Teotitlan, a town famous for its rugs. We had the most amazing day and it definitely completed our trip…we went into the houses of six different women, whom are all receiving interest free loans from En Via. We spent the day talking to these wonderful women about everything from micro-financing to tortilla making to the natural dying process of wool. It was an incredible way to see micro-lending in action; and it was amazing to be witness to the substantial emotional and financial impact it is having on these women’s lives. Don´t miss it!

Mitla

by Enzyme_X

Some 50 km south-east of Oaxaca lies town of Mitla. It's a smaller modern town which used to be (one of) the most important Zapotec indian religious center. Nowdays little is left of that time. Couple of stone walls. Which have something unique - mosaics. Nothing simmilar can be found in rest of the Mexico.

My San Pablo Villa De Mitla Page

Mitla is a beautiful ruin. It...

by darthmilmo

Mitla is a beautiful ruin. It has an amazing castle/temple with a Spanish Cathedral in the background forever reminding us of the Spanish Conquest. I have created a short and sweat page on this site so please check out my San Pablo Villa de Mitla page.

Comments