Paseo Benito Juarez, Bahias de Huatulco, Huatulco, Oaxaca, 70989, Mexico
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 47% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Barcelo Huatulco Beach Resort

Restful, wonderful trip

My husband and I returned yesterday from the Barcelo Huatulco in Mexico and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to relax and just get away. The food was great, (I didn't have to cook any of it), the buffet was flavourful, especially the fish dishes, there was plenty of variety to choose from. There was rarely a lineup to get food and if there was, (during our stay it was only once or twice), we didn't wait long. Besides, what else did we have to do? Waiting in the beautiful, sunny, breezy weather was no hardship.

We went to the "Steak house" one night, and wouldn't reccomend it, the "steak" was , uh, well, not memorable. The other resaurant "Don Quiote" was very nice. All around the service was fantastic, I can't say enough about the hospitality, every drink was delivered with a smile, plates were cleared promptly, they were very attentive.

The beach was enjoyable. Comfortable lounge chairs are put out under cabanas before 7:00 am, and sand is raked in the lounge area sometime before morning. The sand is soft and there are no rocks to stub your toe on in the water, the surf was fun to play in. My husband likes to snorkel, and now we wish we had brought a snorkel with us because they weren't available to use at the resort, the snorkels were always loaned out whenever we asked for one. It seems like they only actually had one.

The pools were beautiful, the deepest pools were under 4' deep, and the shallow ones were ankle deep, we enjoyed watching the young children play in the pools they had a great time. Our kids stayed home for this vacation, I'm glad beause at their ages, 11 and 15, there wasn't enough for them to do. We loved it for the two of us though, because there wasn't much to do. The music at the pool was not too loud. At other resorts in the past we have experienced loud obnoxious music and noise. Not so at the Barcelo.

There was a troup of entertainers which put on a show every night... darling young dancers with fabulous costumes, and a comedic emcee...good fun.

Our room was very nice, beds were firm, cleanliness was high. Always fresh clean towels, sheets, good hot showers, balcony with two chairs and a drying rack. Lighted closets with lots of hangers and an ironing board and iron.

We went to the gym everyday, it was very compact, not enough equipment for a full workout, but enough to stay in shape. It was clean and the attendant was very nice, always ready to hand you a fresh towel.

People spoke little English which added charm to our vacation, everything was in Spanish so we learned a few expressions and loved doing that.

There were beach vendors from whom we bought a few little things, what a pleasure to sit on the beach and have the store come to you! You could barter with them and get a good price, everything was very inexpensive, the people were charming and we learned some Spanish from them. If you did not respond to them when they came along, they didn't insist, they would just keep walking, they weren't obtrusive.

We also took a trip into town, La Cruchichita, charming, it's worth going to enjoy the culture.

Watch the food

February 8, 2005
We just returned from a 2 week vacation at the Barcelo. Beautiful surroundings, weather is unbeatable. BUT the food was much to be desired, 2 members , of our party of 4 got sick 2 days after we arrived - never did find out what it really was, but it lasted 5 days. They tried to tell us it was from eating food while on a tour, but this was before we took any tours - and no it wasn't from drinking too much. Whatever it was, and I would suspect food as both the other member who became ill and myself ate the same thing and our husbands didn't eat that particular food and they were fine. Whatever, the doctor deemed it necessary to give me a shot and 3 types of medication. My friend who was also ill redeveloped the same illness the 4th day of our second week, so it wasn't an isolated thing. Rooms are very roomy and nice. Entertainment was great and people were very friendly but most didn't speak English, although they did try. Another think I found lacking were the pools, although very nice, the deepest was 3 1/2 ft deep, so PLEASE DON'T DIVE!!!! I know you expect to get the 48 hour thing when you go to Mexico, but this definitely was not that

A really bad experience

by TripAdvisor Member KASIA

My husband, our family and I stayed at the barcelo in Huatulco January 03 to January 10th 2005. I always read these reviews, and sometimes I wonder are people really expecting too much. They rate a hotel as a 1 star just because the hotel dose not have changing tables for baby's, the hotel is too crouded or the drinks are way too strong. (just for an example)
I don't expect too much, I just go with my family to relax and enjoy a nice vacation. BUT I would never go back to this hotel.

HOTEL: The service was very nice, and the hotel is clean. But very old.

ROOMS: The mini-bar was restocked everyday with beer, pepsi, water and some other pop. The furniture in the room was a very dark green, and the covers on the bed were very dark, so it was not a very happy looking place. It was actually a little depressing. Oh well. Not everything is perfect and how much time do you really spend in your room? The room was nice and clean every day, but the hotel is very old so some of the tiles are cracked, and the washroom even though it was very clean, it didn't look it.

ENTERTAINMENT: The entertainment at night was very good. My family and I really enjoyed it.

BEACH: If you are a beach person like us, this is not the place for you. Everyday their was a large amount of flies. One or two little flies don't bother me, but 20 do. It's like they like the sun tan oil, or something. So when your trying to tan you have all these flies around you. The ocean was very clean, BUT their were JELLY FISH. You can't swim in the ocean untill about 11:00-11:30am. I Guess because it get's really hot they swim away. BUT at around 4:00pm they come back. So you can't go in the water. You don't want to. Trust me it hurts.

FOOD: We all enjoyed the food. BUT we all got sick. We were leaving on Monday and my husband got really sick on Sunday, along with my mother in-law, my dad, and two of our friends. And I mean really sick. He could not keep anything down. Then on the Monday that we were leaving I got sick, and so did mom . And I don't mean sick for one day. My mom, mother in-law and a family friend was sick for a few days. I was sick for 1 week. My dad and a friend were sick for a week and a half, and my husband was sick for over two weeks.

For us, the 10 people that were on this vaction, it was just a really bad experience. If you decide to go to this hotel, I hope that you have better luck. BUT other than that I would not recomend this hotel to anyone.

I hope I gave you the information that you were looking for.

Just back on the 14th

by TripAdvisor Member SunnyOntario-Canada

Just returned from a 7 day trip to the Barcelo. Hot, hot, hot, is the best way to describe the trip. Sunny every day. Awoke each morning to reserve chairs around 6:00 am and then would go down to breakfast. Home made waffles and omletts were excellent. The pools were good. One needed a little extra cleaning daily, but eventualy seemed to clear. Lunch was ok. There were flat tortillas pizzas available just a 5 minute wait. We went for walks every day on the beach. There was always a boat leaving for fishing or a jet skii in the water. The water was clear and no rocks where you were swimming.
The hotel was very clean. Our room was always cleaned very well. 4 bottles of water, 2 bottles of Squirt (ie. Mountain Dew), 2 bottles of Pepsi and 2 split bottles of Sol (beer) restocked every day in our rooms.
My only concern is that there was a new story every day of someone who had become ill. Was it the sun, drinking or the food? I never really found out a common link. So it is hard to say.
I would recomend Huatulco it is definitly a beautiful part of Mexico. Excellent weather and shopping is plentiful. Would I go back to that resort? I never return to the same resort twice. So for someone that is looking for a new place in Mexico I would recomend Huatulco to anyone.

***Hotel, *Food

My wife and I spent February 14th to February 21st 2005 at the Barcelo in Huatulco. The weather and beaches were wonderful, however we found the Barcelo to be lacking in some areas. Although in the travel magazines one gets an impression that the hotel is new and lovely, it really is old looking. The deck around the pool has broken tiles that no one seems to fix. The mats on the cots are well worn and need to be replaced. There is always a problem finding available cots if you do not mark your spot very very early in the AM ( 6 - 7 AM ) by leaving your towels and magazines etc. on them. Although the hotel says they discourage saving cots this way, they provide hot coffee for these very early risers. Rarely does staff ask guests at the poolside if they want refreshments. The drinks at the pool bar and other bars in the hotel are stocked with local liquor and the premium brands that are often available at other Mexican all inclusive resorts free of charge, are only available at an extra cost at the Barcelo.

The first room assigned to us was dark and dingy. We paid extra for an upgrade and although the room was cleaned every day, the room was dated and definitely needed some new furnishings to modernize the place. Bathrooms were also cleaned daily but still looked not so clean.

We ate at both specialty restaurants and we were served mediocre food. We also realized that some of the desserts served at the those restaurants seemed to us to be left over from the buffet lunch. Breakfasts were ok but the buffet lunches and dinners lacked selection and taste. We realize that food in Mexico is often prepared differently from what we get at home. We have been to all inclusives in Mexico where the food was excellent so we know the difference between good food and the poor quality food that the Barcelo serves. Dinners at the buffet seemed to be a rehash of the lunch menu. The salads were sad and my wife ate mostly wet head lettuce and tomatoes -- great if your holiday was designed to lose weight because the food is NG! We feel that we did not get good value for the money we spent for this hotel.

On the hand, the staff was friendly and helpful and always had a smile and a friendly "hola" for us. There were lots of activities during the day around the pool and there was a lot of noise and loud music but we found it was all in good fun. We met very nice people among the guests and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Every evening there was a different theme show and the ones we saw were a lot of fun. There is a beautiful air conditioned theatre where these shows are held.

The local towns were good for shopping and the restaurants that we ate at were very good. Once that comes to mind is a fairly new one called Terra Cotta in La Creusasita.

All in all, we had a wonderful time in Huatulco however, the next we go back ( and we intend to ) we will not stay at the Barcelo unless we read on Trip Adviser that there were major changes made for the better.

Toronto Trip Advisor Readers

Our New Favourite Place

by TripAdvisor Member landk2004

My husband and I stayed at the Barcelo for our honeymoon from January 3, to January 10, 2005. We had a fabulous time and can't wait to return.

After reading some of the bad reviews, I felt compelled to add my two cents.

It was bright and sunny everyday. It is hot there, very hot. The scenery is breathtaking.

OK, maybe the hotel shouldn't be rated so high, but we thought it was great. It is older, but we knew that, so it was no surprise. The staff were courteous and constantly working to keep everything very clean. Our room was quite large and had a balcony with a drying rack, a table, two chairs and a hammock (which I thought was great). The in-room safe and stocked bar fridge were very convenient.

The food was OK. It wasn't the greatest, but it wasn't bad either. We thought it was typical of what we are normally served in Mexico (we've both been several times). However, we have a tendancy to use our hotel as a base and eat a few meals out anyway (that way we get the "real" experience). Sabor de Oaxaca in La Crucecita was amazing, we ate there twice. Cactus wasn't bad and Don Porfino's (the steak house directly across the street from the hotel) was good too. If you are not comfortable leaving the hotel, you may tire of the food after a while. We didn't have any problems with the food making us sick (and I'm not overly cautious).

This is not a party place. If that is what you are looking for, go somewhere else. There were several kids around the pool, but they didn't bother us. You did have to reserve your chairs early, but that didn't seem unusual. We'd just throw our towels down on our way to breakfast.

I did hear about the jellyfish, but I don't think there is much the hotel can do about that. There were some flies around the pool (I didn't tan on the beach) that seemed to like the sweet drinks, but again, I just don't know how that can be changed. I expect to see critters that I don't see at home when I'm away.

Out of all of the places I've been in Mexico, this was the one where they spoke the least amount of English, both on the resort and in town. We knew that ahead of time and it only made us love it more. My husband says that Huatulco is like Cozumel/Playa del Carmen used to be before they got too popular.

We had a wonderful vacation and would return in a heartbeat.

Good week away

We had a good week at The Barcelo. Everything is very clean & service good. The worst thing was the lack of chairs and shortage of shady areas. This place is super hot, so I mean you really do need some shade. People are getting up really early early"to reserve" their spots for the day.
More lounge chairs and palapas are desparetly needed here. Told hotel this
Food was good but limited variety. Not 4 star quality.Otherwise would recommend this hotel for a good relaxing week

not worth the trip!

We vacationed march 1-7, 2005, the hotel was a real disappointment, it's old and poorly maintained. Our room had poor lighting, cracked tiles , a broken coffee pot, difficulty shower to regulate in bath and the bedspread SMELLED, I don't know when they last wash it. Bed was very uncomfortable hard, and the sheets did not fit well.
The food was really terrible, the meat was often underdone esp. the chicken, not much fresh looking salads. Frist time in 12 trips we were sick a few nights. The dining room setup is poor, had to search everywhere for regular condiments. There are stairs in all the dining areas which made for difficult traffic patterns and the place was'nt full. It is a difficult setup for small children and older adults. The service was bad, to get a second cup of coffee was a real gift. The management appeared to be constantly critizing the staff which seemed to be a very unhappy lot. It was very uncomfortable witnessing the management interactions with staff.
The front desk staff were rude and very crappy, ignored people for long periods of time. Was very surprise by their poor service. It is a very uncomfortable hotel to stay in few places to set. The pool areas did not have enough cabannas so many people took chairs under the bushes..bugs!
We have been to Mexcio 12 times and this was the worst place we have been. Very unhappy with the information and hotel rating from Apple Vacations this is a 2-3 star hotel. Don't know if we will visit Mexcio again.

Go and Decide for yourself.

by TripAdvisor Member flatfoot

My husband and I just returned (march 4) from two weeks in Hautulco staying at the Barcelo.
We are frequent travellers, we are golfers and love to fish, we love sunshine! Have done all inclusives in punta cana, cancun, acapulco, manzanillo, cuba, club meds in 8 locations in mexico and the caribbean and have gone on cruises - southern caribbean, panama canal and have been to Thailand as well as the usual US golfing destinations. Ive been to europe, new zealand and australia. Not bragging about our destinations but just wanted readers to know we have tried a variety of places. We travel because it's a chance to 'get away' visit other cultures, meet new people, enjoy the weather and of course to experience the food. We are regular working people and work hard to save up for our 2 weeks to the sun each year.
We don't expect things to be like at home (why leave) and we already know that we live in one of the most privileged countries in the world.

i read reviews from this site, heard all about the 'bad food'. yes I wondered if I should have booked at the resort next door. But, after our experience, I'm glad we chose the Barcelo and I am very glad that we experienced Huatulco before more major development takes place.

Huatulco is not cancun. If it's a party you are looking for - you will have to make your own. Huatulco is quiet, the scenery unspoiled, the vendors are not aggressive, a no gracias will send them on their way. It is affordable, you can eat in the local restaurants, if you like to fish the tuna are practically jumping into the boats right now, and if you look for Valentino on the beach (he has the white frisbe) you can fish for $40 an hour. We found that all of the fishing vendors charged the same amount, and if you fish $40 us an hour is good value. My husband and I caught 14 tuna and my husband reeled in a 25K mahi mahi on the last hit of the day. He went out again with another fellow (the vendors will do what they can to find someone to share the boat with you if you want) and they caught 18 tuna. The resort restaurant cooked up 2 fish and we were served a great meal.

We hired our own panga (small boat) and 4 of us went snorkelling, our guide followed 2 whales, he took us to various bays, anything we wanted for 600 pesos for 3 hours - that's $60, divide that in half and it's $30 per couple - do the math, that's great value, we saw some great underwater life.
We rented scooters from outside the hotel. $20 and you can have the scooter for 3 hours. We followed different roads and had our own tour of the area. The roads are in great shape, well paved, the locals are not trying to drive you off the road everyone is careful, signage is great, no fear of getting lost.
The golf course is in good shape and if you are staying at the Barcelo green fees with a powercart is $65 US. (when's the last time you golfed in mexico for that price?!)
We went across the street and ate at the steakhouse - delicious. we also ate at the BBQ. If you can get Gabriel to sing - he sings in spanish and his voice is wonderful!
Coronas are a $1.00 US or 100 pesos.

We had a massage from the place across the street and it was an hour of total relaxation. My husband was so relaxed I could hear him snoring.
The Barcelo is an older property, it use to be a sheraton. But the rooms are a good size, there are plenty of closet/cupboard space. Each room has a patio, great for relaxing on. and the room is spotless! (Huatulco airport will shock everyone - it had the cleanest washrooms I have every seen anywhere - including Canada.)
we found the whole place very clean. My husband was disappointed that there were not more geckos around and it is one of the first mexican destinations where i didn't see one iguana. Mosquitos literally will hunt me down and carry me away, but didn't find many mosquitos, more bites could be had if you spent alot of time in the sand on the beach. I read someone mentioning the flies, I didn't think there were any more flies here then anywhere else I've ever been.

The weather is unbelievable. There was actually a few clouds in the sky - which is apparently a rarity. Yes it is hot. Bring your hat and use sunscreen, there is always a nice breeze so you don't know you have just burnt your ear off until you hit the shower and see yourself in the mirror.

The setting of the resort is beautiful, in one of the bays, if you walk to the end of the beach to the west you can wade in knee deep water and feed the fish, they will actually eat out of your hand, and you can feel them tickling your ankles. There is an undertow and the red flag is out, but there were still kids and adults alike swimming in the ocean.

The two towns - Santa Cruz, has a port where cruise ships are now coming in, it has quaint little shops by the marina, and many excursions also leave from here. La Cruceita is the 'locals' town, shops, restuarants, beautiful church are found here. In the evenings you can ride the trolly for 15 pesos the towns are very safe at night and the town comes alive at night with the colour of the lights and families having fun in the park. It cost 25 pesos to take a cab from the hotel to town.

Food - if you like seafood the Barcelo had some great offerings. Every Saturday at lunch a huge pan of paella is cooked. It is delicious, the shrimp, chicken, rice, octopus, mussels......great! Even the birds are lining up for their share. Sushi was on the dinner buffet at least 4 times during the last week we were there. Chicken and beef were available at lunch and dinner and was always cooked to perfection. If you want pizza, burgers, hotdogs and the best guacamole it was always found at lunch.
You have to ask for the ice cream, mexico has the best vanilla ice cream and the coconut is wonderful too!
Did we get sick - NO. If you have ever to been to some other mexico destinations there can be a ....certain smell to the water. Not here, everything smells very clean.
there was always something that you could find to eat, I doubt that anyone goes hungry, I would challenge anyone to come home from the Barcelo without gaining some weight. Think of it this way - did you have to cook the meal? did you have to clean the dishes? are you at home shovelling snow? hey life is good!

Beach chairs - Yes, if the resort is busy like it was the first week we were there, we talked to people who went out at 3 a.m. to reserve their beach chairs, the second week which was much quieter, we could still find a chair by 8:00 a.m. Finding a chair should not be an issue, yes the resort should buy more chairs, yes the resort could institute some type of policy regarding towels and beach chairs - one of the inconveniences a traveller must deal with - still no one went without a chair for very long.

the service - remember where you are. It's mexico, the mexicans are not on north american time, but they are wonderful people, they work hard, they smile, treat them with respect and guess what - you will get treated the same way. I watched some people treating the staff like 'servants' it's a shame that north americans think they are a superior breed. Learn some spanish, smile you will meet some wonderful people.

Would we go back. YES. (after we have seen the rest of the world) would we stay at the Barcelo again - NO only because we have stayed there once, and we stayed at the barcelo in punta cana, so we would want to try another hotel.

But if you want to find a little piece of mexico, where it is still unspoiled by development and corporate gain - go, go to Huatulco and come home only to wish that you were still away!

Loved the Barcelo

by TripAdvisor Member dixxz

Just got back from the Barcelo on March 8.05. After reading all the negative reviews, we were worried about going to this resort. I can only say that my husband and I have been to several resorts in Mexico (AL) and this was the best ever. The staff was great and the scenery was breathtaking. We went with a group of 10 people and they all enjoyed this resort. We partied several nights in the disco with some of the other patrons from other hotels. The service at this hotel was excellent. I could not complain about a single thing. There were a lot of mexican dishes on the buffett, however, you are in mexico. There certainly was lots to choose from. Everthing was fresh and tasty...We all gained about 5 lbs.. Went on a bay tour with sexy George tours. You can find him on the beach in front of the hotel.. He took us to all the bays and to a nice beach were we had a nice bq fish lunch from all the fish we caught.. The ocean is great for swiming. No jelly fish..clean clear warm water... The weather was hot and sunny every day. The locals told us that it has not rained since Aug.04.. Cant wait to go back. It is paradise!!!!! Make sure you go to La Crusisita.. ITs very safe and clean.. Lots of nice little Mexican restaurants and shops. Good deals... Cant wait to return to the Barcelo!!!!

Comments