3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Costs 33% less than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Las Brisas Huatulco

Las Brisas Good Value

by TripAdvisor Member Sun4usOntario

OK...so there are a lot of steps and walking...but for anyone who walks a treadmill or even strolls on a regular basis, the grounds are manageable. This is excellent value for the money and has perfect weather. The town is nearby and for $3 U.S. you can head into La Crucecita and eat in some super restaurants and shop the stores, even after dark. The resort is not the high energy-in-your face type place which suits me fine. I do not want to be deafened by blaring poolside music non stop and Las Brisas is a quiet relaxing place. There were kids at the hotel who seemed to having a great time. There is also an adults only pool for those wanting more peace and quiet. The clear water on the beach by the Mexican Restaurant is a great place to snorkel. Jelly fish arrived in a great mass the day we left, but the rest of the week the ocean was clear and the fish were swimming around your feet. The restaurants onsite are ok. Nothing spectacular but something could be found for most appetites. Buffet is Buffet...There is room for improvement, but as I said, you can get a taxi into town to fill the desire you might have for something totally different and not buffet style. Aside from the main restaurants, there is a Lounge up in the Mar area that is open for breakfast (cereal, toast, yoghurt, and pastry and juice) that was great for a quiet quick early meal, or to take food back to the room. It was also open for happy hour (6pm - 7pm) for drinks and snacks. There were people whining about drinking only Sol beer on tap, but all you needed to do was ask for the Corona's and they were happy to serve them. There was sporatic service by the pool and better service on the beach by the Mexican restaurant. Our room had a magnificent view and was clean. We heard about the scorpions, but hello, do you not have spiders in your house? It's Mexico....One scorpion in a 50 acre property seems somewhat likely. No cockroaches...like hotels in Florida. The birds were plentiful and lots of types to see. The carts driving around the property were anxious to take you anywhere when you wanted. We never worried about having to walk if we didn't want to. (And we never got ran over either) Some people find some fault with everything and complained constantly. If you want things to be as they are at home...stay home! Las Brisas is a new undertaking who is responding to all that they can and it is obvious that with time, they will undoubtedly perfect their service....but, you will have to pay the price. Go now, it was a great trip with the exception of listening to the whiners.

If you are looking to relax, this is the place....

We just returned from a one week stay at the Las Brisas Huatulco with the SunWing All-Inclusive [AI] package. The tour representative Kim was friendly and helpful. We had a little problem with our room when we arrived & she took care of it right away. The resort offered really reasonable deals on day trips. Prices ranged from US$20-$60 for each trip or you can pay US$100 for three tour deal. The 3 tours offered in this deal were the City Tour, the Seven Bays Tours & the Coffee Plantation/waterfall tour. We heard good reviews on all three. Regretably, we took the horseback riding tour which is only so so and a little hard on the back side ;).

We stayed at the Pueblo Mar in a BBC suite. The room was big and clean. It is all white just like the pictures. It has a spa-feel to it and we liked it. The washroom has a huge shower big enough to fit six people(if you wanted) and two sinks. We had a balcony that overlooked the fourth beach of the hotel. The view is magnificent. Just be aware that unless you book a BBC suite or a junior suite, you will NOT have a balcony or terrace. Some fellow travellers mentioned seeing scorpions in their rooms ranging from 1 - 3 inches in size but we saw nothing like that. But nothing a little tap of a shoe wont take care of. The maid service is good. The bar fridge was restocked everyday with two bottles of water, two beers and two cans of pop. At night, you will get two Godiva chocolates on your bed. The hotel has a real minamilist feel to it so don't be to shocked when you see the lobby. The hotel also caters to converntions which is a little different at an AI type of place.

The food for the most part was ok. It could have been a bit better but I think they have been improving. You will get 2 passes to their a-la-carte dinners which everyting on the menu is not included. You will be required to pay a little extra for certian items such as their lobster at the grill dinnder an a shrimp dish at the Mexican dinner which were 1/2 price to [AI] guests. Both were good. The Mexican dinner was interesting. You can get seats real close to the beach and they put on a good show when making their special coffee's for you. If your not crazy about the food at the resort you can always go into town, which is a US$3.00 cab ride away, and there are plenty of restraunts to choose from. We went to the Ve La Mar in Santa Cruz which had great seafood and so so steaks.

There are 3 bars which open promptly at 11am and close promptly at 11pm. The service at the bars for the most part were great. But just like anywere esle there were a couple of bad apples behind the bar. With that being said, the head waiter, Carlos and a bar tender by the name of Oliver were great.

We didn't have any real bad experiences with the staff. Most spoke some english and some spoke great english. We found it easy to get by with a little 'SPANGLISH' for the most part. Tipping is not required but it is nice and they do appreciate it and it goes a long way with them.

The grounds at the resort are huge. You have the choice of walking around or the resort has lots of mini-carts that go around that will pick you up and take you wherever you want to go. The resort is not great for people that generally have a bit of a difficult time getting around.

Other than the scorpions mentioned above there are tons of wild life on the grounds most notable are the Iugguana's and the birds. We were told that the week prior to us getting there some sea turtles came up on the beach. The resort offers free snorkling and there is some good sea life just 200 feet off shore. But the water levels can be a little low at times which makes it a little difficult.

All and all we had a great time at the Las Brisas Huatulco. I don't think we would go back and only because we like to try something new every time.

The hotel with a million demons … more or less.

by TripAdvisor Member Twaha

Las Brisas Huatulco property is spectacular! The beaches are wonderful, the boardwalk a pleasure to run on, snorkeling is a splendor, the pool dimensions exceed most health spas, and the view from the hospital theme rooms is breathtaking. As for the meals, plain but my family of four were not there to get fat, and didn’t get sick. We ate grasshoppers, fresh fish, chocolate sauced chicken and drank hibiscus tea. We savored everything that was so naturally and abundantly presented to us; the ocean, a multitude of birds, iguanas, tropical fish, a warm sun and refreshing breeze for the mere price of $4,500 Canadian.

Regretfully, I am truly amazed how the Las Brisas staff could make staying this paradise such a dilemma. If we left it up to restaurant staff to serve us, we would have died of starvation. Thank God for buffets! It was my daily task to find a pitcher and proceed up to the bar to get my family water and drinks. I was so good at this that I am certain that staff would wait for me to bring the water and wine, so they could take it from our table to “serve” non “all inclusive” guests. My wife would keep her grasp of the water pitcher in one hand while eating her food and snarling at encroaching staff banditos. By the end of the week, even our cutlery became bounty for marauding staff, who, chose to pilfer our utensils rather than retrieve freshly cleaned spoons, knives and forks from the kitchen. The last day, they even took my desert away as I was wandering through the restaurant searching for coffee. Thievery, however, did not darken my family’s love of the resort. Nor did our first time at the Mexican restaurant when I desperately begged staff for service or allow me to cook my family’s dinner. Even having our rooms cleaned past 6:00 pm. only after numerous telephone pleas was tolerated in this paradisiacal setting.

What kindled the flame to later curse the vacation operator Sunwing, and the Las Brisas company was the lack of water. No matter how many times we called and no matter to who we complained, our room remained waterless. Our bar fridges were just empty icy caverns constantly humming because of no cold storage. Always on the verge of dehydration, we remained only slightly cognoscente of our rooms’ broken toilets, the loud air conditioners, dead bouquets of flowers, and the hair dryer that dangle by an electrical wire from the wall. To relieve our thirst, every night I would load our ice buckets from the nearest dispenser and bring them back to our rooms while my wife, Brenda remained vigilant in her unrewarded attempts to get housekeeping to respond. Nevertheless, even the lack of water on Mars (ironically the name of the area where our rooms were located) did not ignite our rage.

It was, in fact, when our room’s door came off its frame that serenity was disintegrated. This happened on the forth night of our stay. When upon returning triumphantly with my nightly catch of bucketed ice, I tried to shut the door. Rather than closing the door buckled. Witnessing this scene, Brenda, quickly telephoned for help while I held the door from falling in. The respondent informed Brenda that we would need to wait “15 minutes more or less” because everyone was busy. Busy! Busy doing what? The hotel was only 40% full! What was all the staff doing besides impeding hoteliers from getting fed? Having understood from past experiences that “15 minutes more or less” meant if you don’t hear from us by the next day call again, I had my wife hold the door as I demanded to speak to the Alexandra the night manager. To her much deserved credit, Alexandra did make things happen. Within minutes a maintenance person was pushing slivers of wood into the holes that once held the door hinge screws. Another staff member offered us other rooms. The first presented alternative was close to the disco bar which he assured me was quiet after 10:00 pm. After insisting that better accommodations were required, we were given upgraded rooms. Within an hour, six Brisas employees while watching television were able to prepare two upgraded rooms for us to move into. One of the upgrade rooms had everything offered in the brochure: a full bar, flowers on the bed and bathrobes. Both had bottles of water. The next day our rooms were cleaned before 3:00 pm and new bottles of water gleamed from our fridges. By Friday, however, the “mini bars” were left barren with the exception of a bag of grasshoppers we had purchased and a diet Coke.

As an additional door prize, for the falling door, we were also granted another meal at one of the two specialty restaurants. So for our last night, we ventured again to the Mexican restaurant. Arriving at 7:30, we had a choice of seating as all but four tables were occupied. In seconds, a server poured each a glass of water and then disappeared. This rare display of service offered us optimism about our future meal. Alas, we then waited and waited some more as other guests came, were seated, and served. We waited as I retrieved a bottle of wine and pitcher of water for our table. We waited thirty minutes before receiving our appetizers. We waited forty-five minutes before our entrées were finished. We waited ninety minutes without any offering of coffee or desert. After two hours, with our dirty entrée plates drying before us from the warm evening breeze we surrendered. With my neck sore from continuously turning my head to catch the eye of a fleeing server, we retired to our rooms. We fell to sleep at 10:00 as fireworks from another hotel illuminated our room. At 10:45 there was a loud knock on our door. When she went to open the door my wife did not cover herself with the fluffy hotel provided bathrobe. She had been awaken from a deep sleep, and assumed the knocker to be one of our children slumbering in the adjacent room. As the opening door brought a nighttime breeze across her body, Brenda suddenly realized that the reveler was not one of our children but a full grown hotel uniformed man. The swarthy male staff member held out his arm and presented her with an envelope in which contained a questionnaire to be completed before departing the next morning. As Brenda placed the envelope across her chest and closed the door, the stranger in his low baritone voice retorted “buenos noches”.

We filled in the questionnaire and for the effort and disturbance were rewarded with face cloths on which a demon figure was stitched. In Mexico, the phrase “a million demons” is used to describe an object that is broken or inoperative. Although there are wonderful people working at the hotel namely the bartenders, Erica the concierge, Daniel and Alex and Kimberly the Sunwing representative, it is, therefore, only fitting that such a figure is used to represent the Las Brisas Resort.

Was great

by TripAdvisor Member inthesun

My husband and I just returned from a week at Las Brisas. After reading some of the reviews we were a little skeptical about what we were in for but we loved it. This was our third time to Huatulco. The other two times we stayed at the Gala. I agree that the resort needs some renovations. There are some areas that need improvement. The lobby is not nice and the bathrooms in the common areas could use a revamp. I figure that in time those reno's will happen as Las Brisas has not owned the property for that long. (formerly Club Med) We thought the room we had was great. It was clean and had a huge window where we could see the sunrise from our bed. If you are the type of person who spends a lot of time in your room you may be disappointed because the majority of rooms don't have balconies. This was not an issue for us as we spend all our time outdoors. We've stayed at 10 different all-inclusives... all 4 star or higher so we have a lot to compare to and as far as the food goes it was fine. Breakfast and lunch were not much different than any other resort we stayed at. The dinner buffet could be improved on but we found the a la carte Mexican to be great. We ate there twice and had fish, chicken and flaming coffees made at the table. The view was spectacular and grounds were better than at the Gala.
The other thing noted is that in all the resorts we've stayed at we have never been able to get bottled beer. Normally there is one choice of draft and that's it. We got Corona's, Dos X's, Modelo, and Sol all by the bottle.
The other thing we liked is that there was not a lame show by the staff every night. There was a live band every night, (including a marachi band one night) and there was one show on Mexican night with dancers and a marachi band.
For the price paid, we feel it was excellent value. We would definitely go back.

Vacation Yeaa! Brisas, not bad, not great.

by TripAdvisor Member bfreehill

First things first... we had a great time & love the area!
And vacation is vacation,relax and have a good time.
That said...

The charter flight from Denver was great, nice to have a direct flight. (the only down side was the food, they are not allowed any meat/fruit into Mx)
A 25 min bus ride to the resort from the airport, not bad... OK it was hot, we lived.

Check in was a bit chaotic, there were so many people coming and going,... saturday, go figure...
They screwed up our room. But they made all right within an hour.
Las Brisas is huge! Which is fine, but we learned we like smaller places.

Using the shuttle service was a must with luggage, but we walked the rest of the time. We are active types and enjoyed the exercise.
(in our mid 30's)
There are beautiful gardens to view, and the walk way along the beaches has iguanas, crabs, and birds to keep you entertained.

Our room was beautiful and very large, (Mar beach club room) we had a great view of the ocean/bay. No tub... but huge shower.
The room and resort in general was very clean.

The beaches (4) were very nice and chairs were always available. It seemed like the beaches were mostly empty.
We liked Ventura beach which has a coral reef right off shore.
I spent lots of time snorkeling there... it was good but kinda cloudy, tide / weather dependent .

Most people were at the pools, which were nice but not our style.
(we talked to people who were staying at the Gala who said it was always a fight to get chairs on the beach)

The food: decent & always something to eat. But the service at the buffet was very lacking.
It was like pulling teeth to get water and coffee.
(we always tip, didn't seem to help).
We were very tired of the buffet scene by the end of the week.
(Both my wife & I got sick from eating the burgers at the snack buffet next to the pool on our last day. Yea! I love to fly sick! its fun...FYI...)

The two specialty restaurants were nice. The outdoor grill was great & the mexican place good.
Being able to go twice in seven days?... weak.

The bars always served strong drinks and had friendly help.
We did attend the disco one night and had a great time.

Our first day off the resort we called a cab and ended up hiring the same guy for every outing.
We paid a little extra and asked Edgar for mini tours of certain areas.
He was great, showing us lots of things we would have otherwise missed.

We took a self guided tour of La Crucecita, where we had lunch and did some shopping. Cool town and friendly people.
The food was great and beers were cold. Better prices for shopping than in Santa Cruz.

The seven bay tour was very cool.
Great snorkeling in San Augustin.. the water was crystal clear.
Our tour also stopped at the bay of Maguey for lunch, great food, good snorkeling.

Another day we went snorkeling at La Entrega, were Edgar brought us to a friends restaurant at the beach.
Again great food and snorkeling. (at all public beaches you rent a chair from the restaurants buy purchasing drinks etc...)

On our last evening we had dinner at Don Porfirio's, very very good and a fun atmosphere.

The area and bays of Huatulco are amazing and we would love to see it in the fall (lots of deciduous trees, its winter so no leaves etc..)
and it was very refreshing not to see any buildings over 6 stories tall.

All said a great trip. We would definitely return to Huatulco, but not Las Brisas.
Its simply to big for our taste.

Brooks & Jen Freehill

Nice Quiet Getaway

My girlfriend and I returned Saturday Feb. 19 after one week at Las Brisas.
We are in our late 30's and haven't travelled too often. After reading many reviews, this resort provided exactly what we wanted, nice place, all-inclusive, reasonable food (no one that I was aware of was sick), nice 'hassle free' beaches, accomodating staff, very private clean rooms, ocean views, and beautiful weather.
I will agree that everything was not perfect, when evaluating each individual aspect, but the trip experience overall was perfect. The staff seemed to be working hard enough, it just seemed that they needed a course in restaraunt management. Not enough orginization.
It also was nice based on many things that we didn't want as part of our trip. We didn't care for shows (although the one they had was very good), beer drinking bellyflop contests and teenagers (and 40 year old teenage wannabe's) getting drunk and keeping us up all night.
The music seemed to be a collection of stuff that they figured we like hearing. They need help with that.
There is walking to get from place to place, but we enjoyed it. It was too much for others, but there are many vehicles to zip you from place to place. Kids may not be well suited for this resort, although they did offer a kids club option.
We flew with Sunwing, and our rep. was Kim. She did a great job (given that she had to endure and pacify all the complaining Canadians - I overheard one lady complaining that the staff didn't even hold doors open for her. Well, maybe the reason was due to the fact that there are virtually no doors at the resort! Other than your own room, and individual stalls in the bathrooms, no doors!)
The cities and markets in the nearby towns were great. People were friendly and helpful, and happy. We never had any safety concerns, and always felt at ease in the towns.
One of the funniest moments was when we arrived back in Toronto, and Immigration Officers took a position directly outside of the airplane doors (in the -6 weather). How arrogant can we be? I've gone through it a hundred times in my mind, and can't think of any reason someone from that paradise would try to sneak into this frozen tax-pit.
The place is beautiful. The weather and scenery were beautiful. The people were friendly, the food was good (particularly in town).
We are looking into real estate in the area, and hope we can find something. It was, and continues to be, truly depressing to come back to Canada.
Anyone with more specific questions is welcome to e mail me at:
ctrnorton@hotmail.com

Probably won't go back

The rooms were relatively clean. The food was descent. The pools were nice. The veiw was beautiful. That is all the good stuff I can say. The beach was full of stinging jelly fish. The walk to the room was only for those who are in pretty good physical shape. That was if you didn't get run over by one of the carts they drove like mad through the resort. My 3-year old spent the last half of the week riding on my back because the walk was just too much for him. Don't plan on relaxing here because there is too much walking up hills to be done. Other travelers even saw scorpions in their rooms. Very few people spoke any English, which was OK, but just a warning to those of you who might not speak Spanish. The shopping was lacking as well. Although it was not horrible, we probably won't go back.

Has potential -needs TLC

by TripAdvisor Member RobinOntarioCanada

Visited January 2005- This resort has great potential. The rooms were clean, and furnished exactly as they decribe Minimalist- could not complain. The food is absolutely awful. We ate off the resort 5 nites out of 7.
The service was below average, however the staff was friendly and is definitely trying. They need more training aand their english is poor. But they are more than
anxious to learn, and they are even more anxious to
help tourists with their spanish. Beautiful area of mexico - the snorkelling was great right at the beach of the resort. There are too many restrictions of ÄLL INCLUSIVE". Did not include the upper end drinks,and the all inclusive drinks ended at 11:00. Dinner at the ala Carte was limited to one per stay although these restaurants were empty most of the time. This resort is absolutely NOT for the physically challenged. My husband and I are in 40"s annd in good shape, but the trek to our room in the evening was really something. 153 steps from the restaurant level! Pool was okay and the staff at the ocean recreation centre was exceptional. Especially Alex and Israel. They went the extra mile to be helpful. Perhaps would visit again in a few years when they have had time to put the finishing touches on this resort. I would rate this a 3 star tops. We have done alot of travelling, and this place needs some TLC. Don;t go is you are well travellled and expecting to be pampered. Its just not there yet!There is no question this hotel is over rated by the tour company

Beatiful resort - food & service is improving

by TripAdvisor Member BillLanding

My wife and I just got back from 2 weeks at Los Brisas February 12/05. This resort has a spectacular property - beautiful beaches and excellent pools.

The main pool is situated up from the beaches and affords a wonderful view of Tonalunda bay no matter where you sit. We found the music a bit loud at times throughout the day - but apparently they added the music in response to complaints that the pool was boring without music. So maybe adjust the volume and revisit the selection of music. It was not always age appropriate for either the very young or the 50 plus crowd.

The water at the beaches is clear and the sand is nice. We divided our time between them and the pool. No doubt there is a lot of walking but if you're up for it the property is spectacular. Also they have golf carts running constantly and you don't need to walk a step if you don't want to. The rooms are spartan and very minimalist - but we did not spend much time there so did not care. They are very clean. If you're a tennis player the courts are great.

As mentioned in other reviews you can catch a cab pretty cheap and go into town and do some shopping - mostly Tshirts and the usual stuff - nothing too exciting. Don't waste your money on the tour excursion to town - it's no different than you wandering on your own.

One excursion I would highly recommend is the waterfall/coffee plantation tour. It's an all day tour and it only goes Mondays so you need to book it as soon as you arrive. It takes you up into the mountains to a small coffee plantation for lunch and then you go on a 10 or so minute hike into the forest to a fresh spring fed river and waterfall area to swim at. It was just fabulous. Worth every penny.

Also, there is a Mexican restaurant across the road from the Barcelo resort ( 20 pesos by taxi ) and the food is fantastic. It's worth going to at least once on your visit. Lobsters so big they don't fit on your plate and huge juicy steaks that you won't get on the resort. We spent $85 US and had 2 drinks each and coffee and dessert. Not a bargoon but definately worth it.

As for complaints - the food was good but never great. They seem to be working at it - got better the second week - but there were more guests so that may have something to do with it. The so called snack area at the pool was mainly hot dogs and hamburgs - don't eat hot dogs at home and don't want to go to Mexico to eat them thanks very much.

Also, the hotel has conventions and sometimes the resort seems to get overwhelmed by these groups. One night a group were in the theatre and we had to call the concierge 2 times to get the mikes turned down so we could sleep. Went on til midnight. I don't care that much if they don't have shows for the guests - but I don't want to be kept up by an event I'm not welcome at.

The biggest positive is that from October to about June it apparantly never rains here. As in NEVER. The area is practically a desert - many catuses - otherwise the landscape it bare. It's always hot! And always sunny! Can't ask for more than that. While we were there it was consistanly 10 or more degrees F. warmer than Cancun or the Mayan Riviera.

mexico end 1998

by randychiara

November 29th, 1988 SAN FRANCISCO

It's raining cats and dogs,,PJ (my landlord) warned me about going to Mexico alone on my own being a female...Well, I hope it is just an AmerIcan idea of Mexico, which sees Mexico as full of crime and hassle...Last time I have been in Bahia California with Linda it was alright, but probably the Caribbean and southern Mexico is different,,,who knows...

November 20th, 1988 MEXICAN ADVENTURE STARTS...

I left to Mexico city at 1 am, the flight was Ok and I even watched "OUT OF SIGHT"...mmm...George Clooney is soooo hot!!ihihihi It took ages to get out of the customs, even if I had a small Eastpack backpack they wanted to check every single thing I had...Then i decided to go to the downtown...if u can call it a downtown(18 million inhabitants!!!!!). The Metro is by far th cheapest (1.50 pesos) way to get there. The subway station TERMINAL AEREA LINE5 is just 10 minutes walk from the sala E. Try to avoid fullpacked wagoncars, I watched a guy stealing from another guy's backpack wiuth a knife and I could do no nothing...If you return to the airport by Metro, do not get off at the Aeropuerto stop, get off at the Terminal Aérea one.

The centre contains most of the historic sights,budget accomodations and stuff Zocado(also see murals by Rivera, Siquieros and Orozco) busstop is actually the centre. Also Alameda is another area for budget accomodations.

One thing that amazed me is the BOSQUE de CHAPULTEPEC which is the bieggest urban park in the Americas...loads of animals, even pandas...

If you do not feel like sightseeing the churches, at least you have to see this "BASILICA de GUADALUPE"

I overnighted for two nights at the CASA de LOS AMIGOS, a very dynamic mellow international atmosphered hostel. dorm rooms 50 pesos. Metro: Revolutiòn line2. tel 7050521.

I took daytrips int he surrounding in the next days such as: *Cuernavaca Norelos, this is a nice colonial town -turned-chich-upper-class-gateway. Very high prices and gringos,but colourful and trendy night life à la mexicana.

*Grutas de Cacahuamilpa,here you can see rock formations shaped like people make out..There are very impressive caverns here...stalagmites,stalagtites.

*Popocatépetl +Ixtaccìhuati Volcanos,they look really majestic and one of them is still active,it is called Popocatèpetl which means the Smoking Mountain.It's huge and locals report seeing UFOs there..iihihih I haven't seen any thogh.

Dicember 8th, 1988, GUADALAJARA, JALISCO STATE

More Mexican than Mexico itself, this city is the crossroads of Mexico.This is the town where north meets south, colonial meets modern, traditional meets cutting-egde. The result is a place you gotta go for. I got there by a 9 hours busride from Ciudad de Mexico by Transporte del Pacifico bus for a 208pesos.This city is full of places to stay. I stayed at POSADA SAN PABLO, in Madero 429.tel 6142811,between Ocampo and Donatp Guerra.Rooms are very big,clean,big backdoor yard, it's really a relazing place.60 pesos for single room,7 double.Guadalajara 's palzas are clean, crowded and often visited by ***ed up mariachis ihihih.The city's museums are the best introduction to Mexican culture and history outside Mexico city.Outsode the city what impressed me was the town of Zapopan with her famous Basilica de la Virgen de Zapopan, a giant 16th-century church erected to commemorate a peasant's vision of the Virgin.Also do not miss Lago de Chapala, Mexico's secOnd largest lake.

Dicember 15th, 1988 PUERTO VALLARTA

I got here in 6 hours by ETN bus for 245 pesos. This is like the Miami of the Pacific and I didn't actually like to be in here. At least I found a niceaccomodation at HOTEL AZTECA, Madero 473(tel 22750) between Jacarandas and Naranjo. Loads of surfers and long-term beach dudes:)75 pesos single,doubles 95.I found one of the best restaurant ever here though. It is called RESTAURANT BUFFET VEGETRIANO, it is in Iturbide 270,at Hidalgo, a few block away from the MAIN PLAZA, 100% vegan cuisine, with strong Indian tastes.open till 7pm.Althought the herd of tourists tthe panorama of the 40km of coast line and surrounding mountains is still enchanting. Bst beaches are:Mismaloya, Playa de los Muertos, Playa de Olas Altas (my friend surfs here every winter!!)Night life is at the top here, just hang around and choose from the wide range of clubs:) I was often partying at the beach,but still check this out:ZOO(biggest party -place in town) and Club ROXY(raggae, crossover, punkrock).If you have plenty of time for day-trips go to Bahia de Navidad, big waves, clear water, 4 hours by bus. It is worth of it!!!

Dicember21st, 1988 MANZANILLO, COLIMA STATE

This is the state's finest beach!!!Thanks to a fortuitous mix of currents and latitude Manzanillo is cooler iN summer than Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco, and still really ok in winter:) about +26C. I got here by bus from Puerto Vallarta in 6 hours for 120 pesos.

I slept at a surfer's flat, but he told me he used to live in this hotel before moving there: HOTEL EMPERADOR, in Davalos 69 (tel.22374),1 block west of the main plaza. It is rustic but clean.

Best beaches: Playa Las Brisas, Olas Altas, Miramar Beach. You can also rent a bodyboard and a surfboard here. Mellow and laid back atmosphere, but also loads of poseurs from the California and Europe(especially French surfers!!).

If you feel like being alone or just want to relax from partytime beach-life, just go to Playa Audiencia, a small cove with calm waters, light brownsand .To get here take the bus called Las Hadas, the view is beautiful.

I flought back to San Francisco from Dicember 24th to January 3rd

Searching for a Resort Name

by Florabean

A while back,someone told us about a resort in Mexico (I don't even know which city) but it was very luxurious and elegant. Apparently each room has it's own pool, but what I remembered most, was there's a "hole in the wall" and your breakfast coffee "magically" appears each morning. Would anyone out there know where this resort is? Many thanks.

by CheekyScottishBum

The place you are thinking about is called Las Manzanitas in Acapulco!! Every room has an ocean view and many have private pools,BUTTTT Acapulco is a very dirty and unsafe city. The drug dealers control the city and they are very bad people. The hotel on the beach discharge their sewage into the bay and the water is brown or black in color and oder. Don't go there!!! A better choice would be La Casa que Canta Hotel in Ixtapa. It also has private in room swimming pools (although quite small) and fresh and salt water swimming pools also. Each room is on a hillside and the hotel is very small maybe 15 suites so the service is wonderful. Also the beaches are much cleaner and the city is safer than Acapulco. Enjoy!

Cheeky

by madamx

Casa Que Canta is actually in Zihuatanejo, and it is indeed luxurious.

by CheekyScottishBum

Madam X I can't spell Zihautanejo so I put Ixtapa instead, all the taxi drivers know the town and can get you there. La Casa... best view in town!!!
CSB

by CheekyScottishBum

Madam X -I can't spell Zihautanejo so I put Ixtapa instead, all the taxi drivers know the town and can get you there. La Casa... best view in town!!!
CSB

by gomexico

I think there are several such places (or more). One such place, if I'm remembering correctly - is Las Brisas, in Acapulco.

Beaches near Mexico City

by shimul

Hi
My husband and I are going to be in Mexico City for a week in July and thought that we would end our trip by spending a weekend at a beach town/resort. Which are the closest- and nicest- beaches to Mexico City? We are avid swimmers and snorkelers ans were hoping to visit somewhere where we could participate in those sort of activities. Also given that it is the rainy season in July- are the waters safe?
Thanks in advance for all your help!

Shimul

by cassiovieggore

I believe you are searching for Acapulco. I am sending below some interesting links concerned with this place:
Cassiovieggore

by cassiovieggore

Cassiovieggore

by cochinjew

Mexico City is not near any beach, except the lake mentioned above (a small lake). you could take a bus to Veracruz, but the nicer beaches are further north. Acapulco is another choice but that is also a fair distance away. Puerto Vallarta and Cancun are good choices for what you mentioned, but there are far away ( close to two hours by air, not including getting to the mexico city airport). Please read up on the mexico city security situation. which is serious even for seasoned travellers. Take Good Care..

by Aquino46

Well off people from DF have weekend appartments and houses in Acapulco. There are some nice hotels and resorts there, and it's a little over 3 hours from Mexico city. A lot of people recomend the Mayan Palace to stay, I personaly like the Quinta Real in Diamante (it has nice views but since it's at the top of a mountain so it has no beach) the same deal with Las Brisas. My favorite spa in Acapulco is the one a the Princess Hotel. Tell me if you need restaurant recomendations.

by rmdw

Acapulco is definitely the place to go from La Ciudad de Mexico. If you can afford it, just fly down.

The best time I ever had there was staying at La Boca Chica Hotel: http://www.fredsphoto.on.ca/aca_boca_chica.htm It's far from the fanciest but I think much better represents what Acapulco is all about. If you stay there you'll almost certainly need to rent a car.

Comments