3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Expedia.com Agoda.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• Texas_Pepper's Profile Photo

Wonderful Stay At Akumal Beach Resort

This three star hotel is simple, cozy, clean and comfortable. It's tucked away enough to feel like a getaway -- yet its location along the Riviera Maya is fantastic for the adventurous.

The buffet and restaurants were very good for this level of hotel, the food varied and a different tasty fish each night. The drink menu was extensive and I hardly ever had to wait at the bar! Service by the staff was excellent.

I found the beach beautiful. The sand was vast, warm, and never crowded. Absolutely great resort. The beach is stretched out along the coast, so wherever your room is, you are no more than a few yards from it. The north half of the beach is better though. Snorkeling is absolutely spectacular, reefs are close to the beach. The rooms are good size, with balconies overlooking the beach, and very clean ( I stayed in building build 6 2nd floor in a superior ). The food is very good at the buffet, very big variety of seafood and fish. Italian restaurant is good, the food there is not the best Italian food I have had. I did like the Mexican restaurant and found the food is excellent. The entertainment is nothing to write home about. I did sing in the large Karaoke one night that is held in the theater. Sang "New York, New York" The sound system was very good and easy to sing. Stage is dark and not well attended by the guests.

Akumal Beach Resort location is great for doing excursions to Tulum, Xel-Ha, Playa del Carmen, or other attractions along the coast. It's also a ten minute beach stroll away from the tiny town of Akumal.

Met the Resort Manager, Renato Martin the second day I was there. Extremely warm and friendly and eager to assist in any way. Renato previously worked as Assistant Manager at the no w closed Club Meava Tulum which was located about 20 minutes north of ABR. He was there when I stayed a few times at CMT. Over all the staff was very friendly, kind, always there to serve.

The guests were largely Canadian then American, Italian, British and Mexican Citizens. This was definitely not a wild crowd, except for the Loco Gringo's Having Their AABR Spring Break-- everyone else was very laid back and there to relax. RE: Loco Gringo's I was one of them as well as my neighbor Doug (neither of knew we were booked at the same time at the same resort. There was about 50 + Logo Gringo's there. See http://www.locogringo.com/

I will return to Akumal Beach Resort.

Unique Quality: Friendly, beautiful and best beach in Yucatan Coast Line

• Akumel's nice place to stay

We were there about 5 years ago and will be headed back there really soon. It was a great area. The hotel was great. It is not ritzy. Food was good. Staff fantastic. They had a great young activity crew. Pools were wonderful. You can walk up the beach to akumel to rent a car or bike. We rented a bike and ride up to the lagoon which was really neat. It is a nice laid back area. We rented a car and drove down to tulum. Don't bother trying to go to a bank to exchange currency. It was a big waste of time. First thing they asked was can I see your passport which was of course back at the hotel. As I recall the hotel was like a motel 6 but you won't be sending much time in the bedroom. We expect to have the same nice experience we had last time. Can't wait to leave the snow behind.

• Amazing Beach but..stay away until fully renovated

My boyfriend and I just got back from a week at Akumal Beach Resort. He had stayed there about 5 years ago and warned me it was basic. Basic is ok with me RUNDOWN is not cool at all, especially for the amount I paid ($1225 CND each for air/all inclusive stay at resort). We could have saved $500 and gone to the Bahia Principle Coba, everyone we talked to said it was amazing and an incredible value for the money.

When I booked the trip the Air Canada ad said that the resort has 2 a la carte restaurants. Sure it does but neither of them is functioning and they are using a small room beside the buffet as the a la carte and when we wanted to go there for dinner it was closed that night. I would appreciate being informed by the resort when things are available. One day we waited 1/2 hour for the buffet to open at lunch and when I asked the bartender when it was opening he said lunch was being served somewhere else that day. This lack of information is very annoying. All this added to my disappointment with the resort and forced me to dine off resort so that I could have something good to eat instead of repeated buffet meals.

The buffet was a total disappointment. NO fish 5 out of 7 nights is rediculous. I can not eat chicken, beef, pork (and I'm glad, cause what they served looked aweful) or too much vegetables and carbs due to health issues. It was very inconvient that there was little to no protein for me to eat at dinner. I really don't enjoy eating pasta every night, it gets boring and upsets my stomach. The nights that they served fish it was over cooked, dried out and tough. Not Good!

What ever they clean the wood bar's etc. with, a red spray, was highly toxic and caused me to have an allergic reaction. My eyes would get all red, irritated and watery. It smelled like gasoline.

Most area's of the resort were way too RUNDOWN, how did this happen? Do the owners not care? Why are three building shut down due to repairs? No resort that charges as much as this one should be rundown this badly.

On the plus side we where bumped to a superior room, no extra charge but these rooms are too dark and cave like. All noises echo off the walls and if someone in the room beside us had a tv etc on it was loud in our room. We had to keep the patio drapes open or we didn't have enough light to see what we were doing. Any lights that we did have kept shorting out. And why are the beds covered in plastic sheets? In this heat I was sweating all night and uncomfortable. Our room also had a constant water dripping sound coming from behind the wall of the bathroom like a toilet running over next door. It would wake us up in the night if we didn't close the bathroom door. And closing the door only stopped 1/2 the noise. Our patio door never locked so it was a good thing we where on the second floor.

Some GOOD live entertainment for people who want to relax after dinner would have been nice. Sorry but the animation team doing the chicken dance really sucks. We don't stay up late enough to watch the "show" at 9:30. We prefer to get up at 6 am and play hard all day so we like to unwind around 8:30pm and some nice light live entertainment in the lobby bar would have been nice. On the plus side the resort is very quiet if you are like us and prefer not to drink and party. Mostly older couples and families, not too many young wild singles.

I also noticed on Sunday's the locals seemed to take over the Resort's beach chairs and used bathrooms and outdoor showers. The resort wasn't overly busy but if it was the guests would have to sit on the sand and I didn't pay to do that. I also noticed that a couple of americans not staying at the resort paid a bartender to bring them drinks on the beach. The bartender set them up with a table and lounges and brought them drinks all afternoon. I wasn't happy about this. I didn't get beach side service, I had to walk to the bar to get a drink and the bartender wasn't overly friend, just polite. I don't intend to pay the staff to get good service. I work in a tipping profession and I don't get the tip until I've provided excellent service. That's really unfair. I was able to go on this trip because of my tips and I would never expect to get the tip up front.

Overall I was totally disappointed with this RESORT. I felt ripped off considering what I paid. I wouldn't go back or recommend this resort until ALL the renovations are complete which is too back because the location is amazing. The owner and management seem to be renovating but on "mexican" time. STAY AWAY UNTIL IT'S FULLY RENOVATED or don't pay as much as we did!!!

Unique Quality: We came to the Akumal Beach resort because of the snorkelling and at least that wasn't disappointing. If you like to dive don't waste your money just go snorkelling. The bay is where all the action is.

The beach was great and the snorkelling was better then the diving. I was able to go for a safe run by myself and not worry about locals bothering me and bus serve was just at the enterance.

• dave_l_ransom's Profile Photo

Best beach in Mexico

An older property that has been very well maintained. Food was on par with most other 3 star resorts. The service and staff were 5 star in every way.

Unique Quality: A great place to stay for relaxing in the sun. Very good area for snorkeling and diving.

Directions: Beach front

• Villas de Rosa Akmal south

Akumal beach condos, one, two and three bedroom accommodations. Full kitchen, dining room, living room with the most spectacular views in Akumal! Overlooking the Caribbean south of Akumal Bay 60 minutes south of Cancun's international airport. On lovely Aventuras Bay.

Unique Quality: This is the place dreams are made of:
    In Akumal your dream hideaway awaits you.
    Dive center. Fishing. Snorkel in transparent turquoise waters.
    Select from hotel rooms to three bedroom beach codos.
    Say hello to relaxation in a tropical paradise.

• Mexico Hotel

We stayed at this hotel on an all-inclusive basis for 2 weeks at the end of Mar 06. Our balcony had a stunning view of the beach and turquoise sea - a huge bonus. The accommodation was perfectly adequate for a 3-star resort, the only annoying thing on arrival was finding one huge bed - not ideal for a couple and an 11-year old boy! However, guest relations had an extra bed put in within the hour, so problem easily solved. One other minor whinge was lack of drawer space, but we made do. If you like to lie on the beach you had better be aware that all shady spots under the palapas are taken by the annoying practice of putting towels on loungers by 0730hrs in the morning - if you lie in you lose out. If we did get too hot, we just pulled our lounger onto the terrace of the beach bar - as this was fairly quiet, no-one seemed to mind and it was very convenient for drinks!. As we were a pretty active bunch this didn't really bother us as we spent the days either on trips, or enjoying the excellent snorkelling in the bay (see separate snorkelling tip). My partner found the buffet food choices a little limited (too many nationalities to cater for I guess), but I didn't mind, and there was always something we enjoyed - the daytime snackbar did wonderful burgers, pizzas and salsa, guacamole and dips so no-one starved. Special mention also for the self-service ice-cream. There was no stinting by the bar staff on the cocktails either, and although hotel glasses were small they would fill up your own beakers if you wished. My 11 year old was very impressed to be given the non-acoholic version of the adult cocktails, and the bar staff couldn't have been more helpful. The animation team worked hard, with lots of activities during the day - we tried archery, but because we were out so much, didn't join in as much as we could have. The one thing that really let it down was the lack of entertainment at night - but as we hardly stayed up after 2200hrs (too tired with the sun and the snorkelling) we didn't really mind so much.

Unique Quality: This hotel gave us the best view from a balcony ever - all the newer blocks are laid out parallel to the beach, so lovely views from most hotel rooms. The hotel is very handy for visiting all the local attractions, Xel Ha, Xcaret, Coba, Tulum, lots of nearby cenotes - the snorkelling off the beach is also fantastic with rays, turtles and lots of coloured fish on view. The local town of Akumal is also worth a visit, with the souveniers at the Super Chomak shop very competitively priced compared to prices on excursions, with no need to haggle.

• lxine's Profile Photo

Laid Back Hideaway

As a newcomer to the all-inclusive resort scene, I was so lucky have chosen Akumal Beach Resort to visit in November 2004. This three star hotel is simple, cozy, clean and comfortable. It's tucked away enough to feel like a getaway -- yet its location along the Riviera Maya is fantastic for the adventurous excursioner.

I found the beach beautiful but very windy. I'm not sure if that's the norm, or if it was just the particular season. The sand was vast, warm, and never crowded.

Unique Quality: As I mentioned, the location is great for doing excursions to Tulum, Xel-Ha, Playa del Carmen, or other attractions along the coast. It's also a ten minute beach stroll away from the tiny town of Akumal.

The guests were largely Italian and British, followed by Canadian then American. This was definitely not a wild crowd -- everyone was very laid back and there to relax.

Directions: Tucked back a bit from the coastal highway.

More about Akumal Beach Resort

The best holiday so far

I stayed at the Akumal Beach Resort from the 21st April for 2 weeks with my parents This is the first time we had been to the caribbean and i can say for all 3 of us it was the best holiday that we have had so far. the food was excellent and plenty to choose from every day. The rooms were very clean and spacious we had our towels made into swans a couple of times we were there. The only thing was some days they only delivered 2 towels to the room even there were 3 of us, but a quick visit or phone call to reception a maid came within 1/2 an hour. The beach was lovely and the sea was very warm - just how we like it. The grounds were very spacious and attractive and clean. We would defently visit this hotel again.

Disgraceful shambles with rude staff

Just wanted to provide you with some trip feedback from our stay at AKUMAL Beach Resort in Mayan Riviera, Mexico. Stayed from Nov 15,2003 to Nov 22, 2003. WARNING! Standard rooms at the AKUMAL beach resort shouldnt even rate with a 1 STAR as they were DISGUSTING. Cracked and paint splattered floor and bathroom tiles. No toilet paper holder or towel hooks/racks. LOUD A/C unit, an inch thick opening around the entire door. Paper thin walls. Ripped shower curtains, no water pressure, no mirror in bathroom sink area, floors were dirty, and the best part was the disco that blared music until 1:30am every second night that was 20 feet away from our room with the staff, hanging outside our door and window until all hours. It was truly a disgrace. Every other second night the noise was from the beach party. To upgrade to a room that resembled the rooms we stayed in during our Cuba and Dominican trips, we had to pay an extra $300 for the remaining 5 nights or $20 USD each person per night. All $ in I could have gone to a higher rated hotel and avoided the frustrations. The staff there were also very snotty and if you didnt speak Italian, you didnt deserve an upgraded room. If the hotel doesn't turn you off of Mexico, the stealing will. At every opportunity, the locals tried to literally steal money from you. Visits into Cozemel shopping, made you feel violated as every step there were store employees harrassing you by yelling and grabbing at you to go into their store. People chasing you with menus down the street to eat at their restaurant. Every store sells the same 5 things: Mexican blankets, hammocks, silver jewelery, tequilla and brightly painted pottery. Different culture...not my idea of an enjoyable vacation.

Very dissapointed

My husband and I travelled to the Akumal Beach Resort in August of 2003. Being a travel agent I go with an open mind.....Well when we arrived at the property we were told there was no reservation which there was but at 1am in the morning I was not amused. The hotel staff was rude and not helpful. English was the last language for everything at the property, the staff was in our room when they were not suppose to be, for instance one night we were hanging around in our room watching cnn because it was raining and that is the only station you can get in English and there was a key put in to our door and was opened by a staff member. Once he saw that we were in our room he then said that he was looking for a pen? Well we also had clogged toilets most of the time we were there. Also the drinking water on each level did not have a cooling system working so the drinking water was very warm. The entertainment wasnt the worst I have seen but did need alot of work. The drinks were all watered down and were served in small plastic dixie cups. Sick of this so we had our own car so we went and picked up some beer but was then told we could not have ice!!! Some good things about the property is the beach is awesome and the turtles come up to lay eggs at around 10pm and we ended up with some enviromental people who dug up eggs at 3 months which we released 300 babies into the ocean... tears in my eyes....also the food was very good in the buffet and ala carte restaurant.....there are alot of properties in the Mayan Riviera ....definitely not my top pick

A little bit tired but overall very good value

We stayed at the Akumal Resort for the week of 28th December 2003 through to 4th of January, 2004. We booked last minute and had nothing else to select from. After reserving, we read the reviews on this website! After reading "Disgraceful shambles with rude staff" we were horrified - "What a mistake we have made!" Fortunately that review was totally misleading. The original resort was first built in 1973 so the original 'Standard' rooms are a bit tired. Of greatest disappointment is the en-suite bathroom that comprises of an old tiled shower stall with a plastic curtain. However, once you get over this, the rest of the facilities certainly meet all requirements. The room was cleaned daily, the king bed was firm but comfortable, the maintenance staff responded immediately to correct any problems, and the restaurant wait staff could not possibly be more attentive, polite and friendly. The main buffet restaurant served varied food every day and it was above average. We also ate one night in the Mexican restaurant and really enjoyed the ambience of dining by the pool - again with very good service. The bar and reception staff were not as friendly but were efficient and polite. We would recommend you reserve a superior room that offers a better bathroom. The beach is great - snorkelling right off the beach and there are plenty of beach chairs available. The resort has a high level of security staff on and off the beach and safety is never in question. The animation staff try hard to involve everyone in their many activities although they respect your need for undisturbed leisure if that is what you prefer. None of the rooms are more than a minute from the beach. Definitely recommended.

LAID BACK, RELAXING

Absolutely great resort. The beach is streched out along the coast, so wherever your room is, you are no more than a few meters from it. The north half of the beach is better though. Snorkeling is absolutely spectacular, reefs are close to the beach. Went to Xcaret, XelXa - snorkeling and reefs are nicer at the resort than at these places. The rooms are big, with balconies overlooking the beach, and very clean ( we stayed at newer building). The food is very good at the buffet, very big variety of seafood and fish. Italian restaurant is so-so, the food there is pizzeria quality at best. But the Mexican restaurant is excellent. The entertainment is okay, but if you skip it, no big deal.
Drinks are weak, so we asked for double shots in cocktails. Overall, an excellent choice for pure relaxation and privacy. If partying and hanging out is a priority, go to Cancun. Riviera Maya is laid back and serene.

Akumal BeachAkumal Beach

Akumal BeachAkumal Beach

Akumal Beach, near The Grand OasisAkumal Beach, near The Grand Oasis

Akumal - Beach at Half Moon Bay (2005)Akumal - Beach at Half Moon Bay (2005)

Akumal Beach resort or akumal club Caribe?

by suebee2005

I am a 40 year old single mom w/ a ten year old son planning our first trip to Akumal. I have narrowed it down to the Akumal Beach Resort or the Akumal Caribe. Any advice?

RE: Akumal Beach resort or akumal club Caribe?

by pedrocarlos

it deppends what are you looking for.but they look very similar,I think I d choose Akumal Beach Resort...
=)

RE: Akumal Beach resort or akumal club Caribe?

by johnagosti

I really don't have an answer to your post, rather a question. I am booked to go to akumal in 3 weeks. I have been trying to find out if the area is back to normal or not after the hurricanes. I can get a lot of info on Cancun, which is not back to normal, but nothing on akumal. Have you been able to get any info?

Comments