Akumal Beach Resort

See Amenities
Texas_Pepper's Profile Photo

Wonderful Stay At Akumal Beach Resort

by written on July 23, 2013

This three star hotel is simple, cozy, clean and comfortable. It's tucked away enough to feel like a getaway -- yet its location along the Riviera Maya is fantastic for the adventurous.

The buffet and restaurants were very good for this level of hotel, the food varied and a different tasty fish each night. The drink menu was extensive and I hardly ever had to wait at the bar! Service by the staff was excellent.

I found the beach beautiful. The sand was vast, warm, and never crowded. Absolutely great resort. The beach is stretched out along the coast, so wherever your room is, you are no more than a few yards from it. The north half of the beach is better though. Snorkeling is absolutely spectacular, reefs are close to the beach. The rooms are good size, with balconies overlooking the beach, and very clean ( I stayed in building build 6 2nd floor in a superior ). The food is very good at the buffet, very big variety of seafood and fish. Italian restaurant is good, the food there is not the best Italian food I have had. I did like the Mexican restaurant and found the food is excellent. The entertainment is nothing to write home about. I did sing in the large Karaoke one night that is held in the theater. Sang "New York, New York" The sound system was very good and easy to sing. Stage is dark and not well attended by the guests.

Akumal Beach Resort location is great for doing excursions to Tulum, Xel-Ha, Playa del Carmen, or other attractions along the coast. It's also a ten minute beach stroll away from the tiny town of Akumal.

Met the Resort Manager, Renato Martin the second day I was there. Extremely warm and friendly and eager to assist in any way. Renato previously worked as Assistant Manager at the no w closed Club Meava Tulum which was located about 20 minutes north of ABR. He was there when I stayed a few times at CMT. Over all the staff was very friendly, kind, always there to serve.

The guests were largely Canadian then American, Italian, British and Mexican Citizens. This was definitely not a wild crowd, except for the Loco Gringo's Having Their AABR Spring Break-- everyone else was very laid back and there to relax. RE: Loco Gringo's I was one of them as well as my neighbor Doug (neither of knew we were booked at the same time at the same resort. There was about 50 + Logo Gringo's there. See http://www.locogringo.com/

I will return to Akumal Beach Resort.

Unique Quality: Friendly, beautiful and best beach in Yucatan Coast Line

Akumel's nice place to stay

by written on January 26, 2013

We were there about 5 years ago and will be headed back there really soon. It was a great area. The hotel was great. It is not ritzy. Food was good. Staff fantastic. They had a great young activity crew. Pools were wonderful. You can walk up the beach to akumel to rent a car or bike. We rented a bike and ride up to the lagoon which was really neat. It is a nice laid back area. We rented a car and drove down to tulum. Don't bother trying to go to a bank to exchange currency. It was a big waste of time. First thing they asked was can I see your passport which was of course back at the hotel. As I recall the hotel was like a motel 6 but you won't be sending much time in the bedroom. We expect to have the same nice experience we had last time. Can't wait to leave the snow behind.

Amazing Beach but..stay away until fully renovated

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 17, 2010

My boyfriend and I just got back from a week at Akumal Beach Resort. He had stayed there about 5 years ago and warned me it was basic. Basic is ok with me RUNDOWN is not cool at all, especially for the amount I paid ($1225 CND each for air/all inclusive stay at resort). We could have saved $500 and gone to the Bahia Principle Coba, everyone we talked to said it was amazing and an incredible value for the money.

When I booked the trip the Air Canada ad said that the resort has 2 a la carte restaurants. Sure it does but neither of them is functioning and they are using a small room beside the buffet as the a la carte and when we wanted to go there for dinner it was closed that night. I would appreciate being informed by the resort when things are available. One day we waited 1/2 hour for the buffet to open at lunch and when I asked the bartender when it was opening he said lunch was being served somewhere else that day. This lack of information is very annoying. All this added to my disappointment with the resort and forced me to dine off resort so that I could have something good to eat instead of repeated buffet meals.

The buffet was a total disappointment. NO fish 5 out of 7 nights is rediculous. I can not eat chicken, beef, pork (and I'm glad, cause what they served looked aweful) or too much vegetables and carbs due to health issues. It was very inconvient that there was little to no protein for me to eat at dinner. I really don't enjoy eating pasta every night, it gets boring and upsets my stomach. The nights that they served fish it was over cooked, dried out and tough. Not Good!

What ever they clean the wood bar's etc. with, a red spray, was highly toxic and caused me to have an allergic reaction. My eyes would get all red, irritated and watery. It smelled like gasoline.

Most area's of the resort were way too RUNDOWN, how did this happen? Do the owners not care? Why are three building shut down due to repairs? No resort that charges as much as this one should be rundown this badly.

On the plus side we where bumped to a superior room, no extra charge but these rooms are too dark and cave like. All noises echo off the walls and if someone in the room beside us had a tv etc on it was loud in our room. We had to keep the patio drapes open or we didn't have enough light to see what we were doing. Any lights that we did have kept shorting out. And why are the beds covered in plastic sheets? In this heat I was sweating all night and uncomfortable. Our room also had a constant water dripping sound coming from behind the wall of the bathroom like a toilet running over next door. It would wake us up in the night if we didn't close the bathroom door. And closing the door only stopped 1/2 the noise. Our patio door never locked so it was a good thing we where on the second floor.

Some GOOD live entertainment for people who want to relax after dinner would have been nice. Sorry but the animation team doing the chicken dance really sucks. We don't stay up late enough to watch the "show" at 9:30. We prefer to get up at 6 am and play hard all day so we like to unwind around 8:30pm and some nice light live entertainment in the lobby bar would have been nice. On the plus side the resort is very quiet if you are like us and prefer not to drink and party. Mostly older couples and families, not too many young wild singles.

I also noticed on Sunday's the locals seemed to take over the Resort's beach chairs and used bathrooms and outdoor showers. The resort wasn't overly busy but if it was the guests would have to sit on the sand and I didn't pay to do that. I also noticed that a couple of americans not staying at the resort paid a bartender to bring them drinks on the beach. The bartender set them up with a table and lounges and brought them drinks all afternoon. I wasn't happy about this. I didn't get beach side service, I had to walk to the bar to get a drink and the bartender wasn't overly friend, just polite. I don't intend to pay the staff to get good service. I work in a tipping profession and I don't get the tip until I've provided excellent service. That's really unfair. I was able to go on this trip because of my tips and I would never expect to get the tip up front.

Overall I was totally disappointed with this RESORT. I felt ripped off considering what I paid. I wouldn't go back or recommend this resort until ALL the renovations are complete which is too back because the location is amazing. The owner and management seem to be renovating but on "mexican" time. STAY AWAY UNTIL IT'S FULLY RENOVATED or don't pay as much as we did!!!

Unique Quality: We came to the Akumal Beach resort because of the snorkelling and at least that wasn't disappointing. If you like to dive don't waste your money just go snorkelling. The bay is where all the action is.

The beach was great and the snorkelling was better then the diving. I was able to go for a safe run by myself and not worry about locals bothering me and bus serve was just at the enterance.

dave_l_ransom's Profile Photo

Best beach in Mexico

by written on November 25, 2007

An older property that has been very well maintained. Food was on par with most other 3 star resorts. The service and staff were 5 star in every way.

Unique Quality: A great place to stay for relaxing in the sun. Very good area for snorkeling and diving.

Directions: Beach front

Villas de Rosa Akmal south

by written on September 21, 2007

Akumal beach condos, one, two and three bedroom accommodations. Full kitchen, dining room, living room with the most spectacular views in Akumal! Overlooking the Caribbean south of Akumal Bay 60 minutes south of Cancun's international airport. On lovely Aventuras Bay.

Unique Quality: This is the place dreams are made of:
In Akumal your dream hideaway awaits you.
Dive center. Fishing. Snorkel in transparent turquoise waters.
Select from hotel rooms to three bedroom beach codos.
Say hello to relaxation in a tropical paradise.

Mexico Hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 21, 2006

We stayed at this hotel on an all-inclusive basis for 2 weeks at the end of Mar 06. Our balcony had a stunning view of the beach and turquoise sea - a huge bonus. The accommodation was perfectly adequate for a 3-star resort, the only annoying thing on arrival was finding one huge bed - not ideal for a couple and an 11-year old boy! However, guest relations had an extra bed put in within the hour, so problem easily solved. One other minor whinge was lack of drawer space, but we made do. If you like to lie on the beach you had better be aware that all shady spots under the palapas are taken by the annoying practice of putting towels on loungers by 0730hrs in the morning - if you lie in you lose out. If we did get too hot, we just pulled our lounger onto the terrace of the beach bar - as this was fairly quiet, no-one seemed to mind and it was very convenient for drinks!. As we were a pretty active bunch this didn't really bother us as we spent the days either on trips, or enjoying the excellent snorkelling in the bay (see separate snorkelling tip). My partner found the buffet food choices a little limited (too many nationalities to cater for I guess), but I didn't mind, and there was always something we enjoyed - the daytime snackbar did wonderful burgers, pizzas and salsa, guacamole and dips so no-one starved. Special mention also for the self-service ice-cream. There was no stinting by the bar staff on the cocktails either, and although hotel glasses were small they would fill up your own beakers if you wished. My 11 year old was very impressed to be given the non-acoholic version of the adult cocktails, and the bar staff couldn't have been more helpful. The animation team worked hard, with lots of activities during the day - we tried archery, but because we were out so much, didn't join in as much as we could have. The one thing that really let it down was the lack of entertainment at night - but as we hardly stayed up after 2200hrs (too tired with the sun and the snorkelling) we didn't really mind so much.

Unique Quality: This hotel gave us the best view from a balcony ever - all the newer blocks are laid out parallel to the beach, so lovely views from most hotel rooms. The hotel is very handy for visiting all the local attractions, Xel Ha, Xcaret, Coba, Tulum, lots of nearby cenotes - the snorkelling off the beach is also fantastic with rays, turtles and lots of coloured fish on view. The local town of Akumal is also worth a visit, with the souveniers at the Super Chomak shop very competitively priced compared to prices on excursions, with no need to haggle.

lxine's Profile Photo

Laid Back Hideaway

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 25, 2005

As a newcomer to the all-inclusive resort scene, I was so lucky have chosen Akumal Beach Resort to visit in November 2004. This three star hotel is simple, cozy, clean and comfortable. It's tucked away enough to feel like a getaway -- yet its location along the Riviera Maya is fantastic for the adventurous excursioner.

I found the beach beautiful but very windy. I'm not sure if that's the norm, or if it was just the particular season. The sand was vast, warm, and never crowded.

Unique Quality: As I mentioned, the location is great for doing excursions to Tulum, Xel-Ha, Playa del Carmen, or other attractions along the coast. It's also a ten minute beach stroll away from the tiny town of Akumal.

The guests were largely Italian and British, followed by Canadian then American. This was definitely not a wild crowd -- everyone was very laid back and there to relax.

Directions: Tucked back a bit from the coastal highway.

Nearby Akumal Beach Resort

• Kids Activities
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Akumal Travel Forum

Need advice about Akumal, Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Akumal and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Akumal hotel reviews

Really fresh
"Finest" dining In Akumal
Breakfast of Akumal
Restaurants
Save up some cash and make the trip to solimon bay
Atmosphere is NOT everything
Cole Slaw?
Bad Pizza
Aktun Chen
Things to Do
"Cave with an underground river inside"
Downtown Akumal
Xel-Ha Ecological Water Park
Town of Akumal
Something spooky...and yet harmless
Things to Do
It's like you are in the worlds best aquarium
Amazing
Snorkel
Things to Do
Beautiful spot to start your day
Restaurants
Turtle Nest and a storm's a comin'
Enjoy the views