Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya

Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal, Quintana Roo, 77710, Mexico
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel & Spa
Expedia.com Booking.com BookIt.com

More about Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya

Great Vacation

by TripAdvisor Member Carverscottage

We stayed at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya from November 25th to December 9th. We traveled with Sunquest Vacations out of Calgary, Alberta, flying with SkyService.

The bus ride: To the resort took 1 hour 40 minutes, with 3 stops along the way dropping off at other hotels. There was Corona for sale 2 for $5US, and coke and water for $1 to help ease the ride. The ride back to the airport took 1 hour 50 minutes, with 3 stops along the way. We were taken from the resort 5 hours before our flight home. Lots of shopping and duty free in the Cancun airport to help keep you occupied.

The room: We stayed in the 1000 building on the 3rd floor. Great view of the pool. Our room was at the furthest end of the building away from the theatre. We did not hear anything but a very low hum when the show was on. Very spacious, beds were firm but comfortable. Open design did not bother us as we had no children along. Wanted to take the shower home with us. We took our laptop along and it worked great in the room, bring along your own internet cable though. The concierge in the buildings is a great addition. You make all your restaurant reservations through them, as well as any complaints or problems you have. We were missing water, and coffee a few times, just called down, and it was delivered immediately. The concierge and the elevator is in the 1100 building, the 1000 building shares, but not a problem as so close with walkway.

The restaurants: Make your reservations as soon as you get there, you also need to find out which nights each of the restaurants are open, they only have 3 open each night, I guess as the resort isn’t full. We made it to all the restaurants, for food the French gourmet (charge of $35US per person) was our favorite, with the steak house a close second (great T-bones, ribeye, and tenderloin). The Japanese and Brazilian are fun to go to, not your ordinary sit down and wait for the food. I thought all of the restaurants were well done with the décor, costumes of the staff, and authentic drinks and food.

The Buffet: Here there is an issue with getting hot food, however on our last 2 days there they were installing warming lights and heating trays, so things may be looking up. I know people were complaining. Breakfast was great, with fresh omelets, pancakes, waffles, and eggs. The only ice cream we saw was in the main buffet, they could add this to the beach bar or pool buffet as well.

The other problem with food is that after 10pm there is nothing available. The booze was shut down by 1pm. Even room service is shut down. Any 5 star resort we have stayed at has 24 hour service for both snacks and drinks.

The Pools: They were awesome, clean and immaculate, never even a leaf floating on the surface. The big horseshoe pool down by the beach was great for strolling in, watch for the iguana’s sunning themselves on the rocks. Jose and Roman were great bartenders at the swim-up bar. They have many “specials” and Jose has a few tricks as well. I loved the raised areas in the pool to sit and sip your drink in the sun.

The Jacuzzi: We only sat in this once, you have to get out of the pool and go up a flight of stairs to get in, was not really user friendly. You couldn’t see any of the action from in it.

The Lazy River: Enjoyed the peacefulness of floating on a tube down the river. The current was running very well while we were there. They had 4 large tubes (2 seater) and about 8 small tubes out for people to use. Hopefully they will replace them as they get holes in them.

The Beach: Really grew on me as the 2 weeks went by, at first I wasn’t sure if I liked it, but all the rocks and the coves give it lots of character, and I soon found myself enjoying walks along the beach. Bring water shoes, there is about 3 feet of rocks to get over when entering the water, and saw a couple of people getting their feet bandaged by the lifeguard. The beach bar has self serve pop, as well as snacks put out all day, hamburgers, hotdogs, fries, nachos. The chicken wings were great, they get put out after about 1pm each day. We always wandered over for a plate of wings and nachos mid afternoon. The girls bringing drinks on the beach are great, always a big smile.

Overall I would give this resort 4 stars, it still has to complete some of the areas in the resort, and get the food up to snuff, but they are committed to correcting their problems. In a year from now it should be great and warrant the 5 star rating. Even now though it is a great resort, and you will enjoy your vacation.

Cruise Ship run aground!

by TripAdvisor Member jethrobird

The adventure started when we booked our stay on BookIt.com. We originally booked 2 nights at Grand Oasis Riviera Maya Resort, but when we arrived, they had our reservation, but no room for us. And BookIt.com apparantly knew that when they made our reservation there. The manager was very nice, and paid for our taxi ride to Grand Sirenis. The rooms were incredible. A nice big Jacuzzi tub (the drain plug took some finagling for it to hold water), the decor was modern, and the bed was comfortable. The food was mediocre at best. They tell you that reservations can be made at any of the A La Carte restaurants, but the first night everyone in the resort had to go to the Tulum Buffet for Lobster, no other choices available. The lobster had sat under the heat lamp for so long by the time it got to us, 1/2 of it was not edible. The second night we wanted to eat at the Japanese restaurant, but we were informed that the restaurants are on a rotation, and that one was closed for the evening. We ate buffet food for our other meals, and it was unappetizing to look at and hard to sift through to find out what would possibly be edible. The cook to order eggs for breakfast were the best bet. The lunch buffet had a lot of fried foods on it, and a couple of items that were good (guacamole, pico de gallo, and chicken soup). If you love cruise ships, you will love this resort. It was not my husband and I's cup of tea, however.

beautiful resort, poor service

by TripAdvisor Member stbroome

we stayed at the grand sirenis from dec. 15-20th. when we arrived, the check in went very smoothly, but the hotel claimed they never received our request to have a room near our traveling friends. i must say, they were not very nice about helping us with our request to move, in fact, they were downright rude, claiming they were full and to "check back tomorrow." every day we stayed, more people came to the resort. an entire section of the hotel opened up while we were there. it seemed like there were not enough staff to deal with the amount of guests to keep everyone satisfied. the rooms are large and we really liked the bathroom that you can see from the bedroom area. they still have frosted doors to the shower and toilet so it seems somewhat private. the beds were comfortable. the pool and fantastic, not to mention the swim up bar. jose is a fantastic bartender at the swim up bar. he really seems to take pride in what he is doing. the beach is pretty, but the entrance to the beach is rocky. the sand on the beach has several smashed up rocks and seashells, so we definitely recommend wearing some type of shoe even walking on the beach. we enjoyed the lazy river, but there were not many floats available, so you found yourself waiting. the snorkeling was very good right out from the beach, especially right in front of the mayan ruin on the island where i saw a 5-foot yellow moray eel completely out of the coral as well as a large lobster and several baracudas. however, i recommend bringing your own snorkeling gear, since the dive shop only gives you 45 minutes. they are also the ones that charge the ridiculous price of $59 for a half-hour of wave runner rental. the food was wonderful! the friday night lobster night was very good. the lobster is not prepared exactly the way we are used to eating it, but we really liked it. the ala carte restaurants were great, particularly the italian and the japanese. the brazilian was a bit different, would probably do the steakhouse instead. there is a coffee shop open during dinner, which is very good and relaxing to sit and chat. there are several paths to take to get from one part of the resort to the other, you just have to wander. the main lobby is very pretty and wide open , we really enjoyed the modern look to it. that is were most people congregate at night for drinks of the top-shelf liquor, but remember to ask. juan was a champ and really deserves your tips. our only gripe about the hotel is that they need more staff to make sure everything is running smoothly and the staff they do have needs to realize the paying customer is what matters.

Brand New Resort

by TripAdvisor Member BLUMAX

I read a review on this particular property where the writer defined his experiences and possible biases. Therefore I will do the same. It may help the reader to understand my perspective in case they experience something different if they were to stay at this particular property.

I am an executive who travels extensively and has for the past 30 years both in the developed world and the developing world. I do not sweat the little things when it comes to airlines, hotels and service. Life is too short and in all honesty it does not accomplish much except create hard feelings and frustration. I am a person who views life as "the glass is half full". Finally I am some one who has done the all inclusives with family for too long and no longer desires to do this ever again but because of the price and the fact they have a number of ala carte restaurants decided to try one more (last) time.

The Grand Sirenis is a spectacular resort. The architecture is a little over the top, displaying what I think is a cross between Mayan and Aztec. Impressive. The Grand Lobby is huge. If bigness is suppose to impress, I am impressed. Unfortunately the size takes away from any sense of intimacy even though the lounge below has plush furniture. I will address this concern later. The rooms in my opinion are excellent. They are spacious, modern and fully equiped BUT they may not be for every one. There is a lot written about the bathrooms and the hole in the wall facing the living area. Personally my spouse andI loved what the architect was thinking but I do not think he/she was thinking about families with teenagers. I have to ask the question to the architect as to why he/she bothered to put a door on the bathroom? I think it is a waste of money! Bottom line is the bathroom is decadent but wonderful albeit very different. The bathroom might be worth the trip for some.

The hotel complex is laid out like a miniature Central Park (NYC). There are a number of room buildings arranged in a circle surrounding a portion of the Mexican jungle. Interspersed throughout this large area are a number of paths and planted botanical items. I personally loved what they have done. A lot of expense but I appreciated it. This also supported a lot of privacy between the units. Unfortunately this feature causes a lot of walking. I liked the idea because the exercise was necessary to reduce the amount of weight one can put on in this type of facility. There are golf carts which can requested. Someone will pick you up if it is raining or needs assistance.

The pools were visually unbelievable. We (I) forgot my camera in the car prior to departure. Bottom line is that I did noi take a single picture and am having some difficulty trying to verbalize how beautiful is the property . The signature main pool (travel brochures) is gorgeous but we never set foot in this one. The pool that blew me awat was the one near the beach. It is approximately 750 ft. long and in the crude shape of a "U". However there is jungle, huge natural rocky terain and centotes in between the "U" part. Impressive! There were a number of guests who swam the length every day, some both ways. There is also a river course where you hop on a tube and float around the course. This is probably more for the children. It was not for me. The beaches were good. The beach service was excellent. However it is tough way to make a living. I suggest the occassional tip goes a long way to help these ladies make the long trek from the bar to the outer reaches of the beach. By the way the beach area is also huge, another 5-10 minute walk if you are so motivated. The ocean is great for all ages. If you are into snorkelling, the" reef" is okay if the waves are relatively calm. Otherwise the turbidity minimizes the beauty of the coral. My biggest concern is that the increased tourism for this beach will make short work of the "reef". Better go there soon. Otherwise in a year or so amateurs will have destroyed all of the fan coral.

The restaurants ranged from excellent to not so good. However with this said, we felt the food was a cut above the average for all inclusive properties. The Mexican night was very good, including the theatre entertainment. I have travelled to Mexico on business and vacation many times and this show was as good if not better than anything I have seen. Good family entertainment. The restaurant house wine was acceptable (Spanish- Carmen) The lobby bar as everyone has indicated is the place to go. However it is a bit sterile. The red and white bar wines are to be avoided. Absolutely dreadful if you are a wine drinker. Again, the occassional tip to the bartender yields a better drink on occassion. At least it gives you the right to ask for something extra.

Take Home Messages
-first classs property but has room for improvement
-construction is a factor but I am sure this will not be forever
-staff very good. Unfortunately the restaurants have unwritten rules which you will find out when requesting deviations from the standard. However subsequent requests to the staff seem to become more flexible as the night goes on. YOU HAVE TO DRESS UP IF GOING TO A RESTAURANT and to the
MEXICAN or GALA NIGHTS.
-snorkelling is okay depending on the wave action
-hotel is a HUGE facility. Be prepared to walk
-hotel is located in the middle of nowhere. A minimum of 75 minutes from the airport. Ackumal is not much better but worth the excercise of getting out. Use the Collectivos. Negotiate $1/person for the 6 km trip.
-take USD especially $1 denominations and sprinkle around for effectiveness
-facility caters to kids. I am not sure teens would appreciate this place. Be advised.
-great games room
-great exercise room
-free internet with 5 terminal

Would go back if a cheap deal came up!

by TripAdvisor Member evilstepmom

My husband and I stayed at this hotel Dec 10 - 17, 2006. The location was nice and remote, with large rooms but got damp from rain (or leaks?) and the ceiling was molding black during our stay and it smelled in the living area! The hotel was put together way too fast - watch the stair railings, they are sometimes not secured and my husband grabbed on and fell backwards. I wiped out (HARD!) a couple of times on the wet tiles. The beach and water is beautiful and warm but has very hard sand. Loved the luxury of the beach bar - service was good at most places if you keep tipping. (if not, no one will return to serve a second drink!) One waiter at the pool snack bar blocked our way as we were leaving (he only gave us coffee and we didn't have pesos on us) and he asked us "where we were going?" um, none of your business?? It was weird.

The food was just ok to me (my husband hated it) except the Mexican was exceptional, comparitively speaking. The coffee house after dinner by the pool was great. (It is a beautiful walk at night, but needs a but more lighting.) We were each sick for about a day, but met someone who had been sick in bed for most of the week.

We liked tubing down the river and the pools were nice, disliked no bank machine on site, but the condos next store a developing nicely and they have some shops open already.

There is supposed to be a fun beach party every Wednesday and Saturday night, but no one told us so we missed it. They need to work on promoting and entertaining...

Anyway, it is very new, so I am sure it will be different a year from now.

Green Turtle at 70 feet 5 minutes off shoreGreen Turtle at 70 feet 5 minutes off shore

Akumal Dive CenterAkumal Dive Center

RapellingRapelling

ZippingZipping

Collectivo

by Scotian

My husband and I along with our two sons aged 15 and 12 are going to be at the Grand Serenis at the end of March. We are looking for fun things to do that you can reach by collectivo. Any suggestions?

Re: Collectivo

by Jawnuta

you can definitely go to Tulum. You just have to stand on the highway and stop the right collectivo.
You may also be able to get one to Coba, either right from the highway across of your resort or from Tulum.

Don't bother asking your resort staff about it. They will convince you to take taxi, because they like to scare tourists from going on their own.

Re: Collectivo