Km 100, Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Akumal, Quintana Roo, 77500, Mexico

Hotels.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

• kyoub's Profile Photo

Near the beach

We were only there for 3 nights and we wanted somewhere close to the beach but economical.
    We had a roomy cabana right on the sandy beach,
    It had a bedroom, bathroom, and kitchenette.

More about Hotel Akumal Caribe

As always, loved Akumal and Hotel Club Akumal Caribe Bungalows

by TripAdvisor Member Cathryn13

This is our third trip to Akumal in less than two years and our second stay at Hotel Club Akumal Caribe's Villas Maya Bungalows. We had requested a room with a King sized bed and modified kitchen. Although they do not have this combination, they went to alot of trouble to fix us up with a room with a king sized bed and a hot plate and cooking utensils and dishes and a coffee maker. Everyone of the employees was really nice and helpful. We were able to have breakfast in the room all but one of the five days, and were able to prepare some of the fish that we caught through the Akumal Dive Shop.

The bungalow rooms are large and you have plenty of space to move around in. Although the rooms are not luxurious, they are very good quality for the price. Our maid was Leyde, and she did a wonderful job of keeping our room clean. We had towel art the first night and fresh flowers every other day.

Because of non-hotel members trying to use the facilities, they now have a wrist band method of ID. We were able to use the beach and obtain beach lounges anytime during the day with no problems. We could lounge on the beach or snorkel in the bay anytime. Akumal Bay and Yal-Ku Lagoon are my two favorite snorkeling spots world wide. In Akumal Bay, everytime I went out I saw turtles, plus stingrays, beautiful fish, and many other interesting sites. One small problem is that the Bay has gotten so busy with excursion boats and boats docked in the bay that you have to be careful around these, but they do seem to watch out for the snorkelers.

There are so many good restaurants around the motel that we have been able to stay without a car and have a wonderful experience. Even though this land is prime resort property, the owners have kept alot of the palm trees and open spaces so that you have a wonderful open nature experience. I know that this is costly for them, but I hope that they can continue to keep the open spaces that they now have. For alot of people, including ourselves, once you find Akumal Bay and Hotel Club Akumal Caribe it becomes your favorite spot along the Mayan Riviera.
If we ever get back, and we plan to in the future, we will definitely stay here again.

First Timers Trip Report: Topes Are Easy!

by upsouthvolleyball

We decided last November to go and see the Ruins at Coba and Tulum. Akumal seemed like a great spot to locate and the preparations were on. We decided on the middle of May (19-26) to avoid the crowds and beat the rainy season. (It was 89 with the occasional fluffy cloud in the sky every single day we were there!). I bought Frommers, Rough Guide and Lonely Planet Yucatan versions and read them religiously until I had worn out the pages pertaining to the areas I hoped to visit. I took an 8 week survival Spanish course. I read “A Forest of Kings”. I bought mapchicks map and I spent hundreds of hours on the internet researching different areas and subjects. I spent another 100 hours reading everything I could find on the locogringo web site!

Driving in Mexico: Topes, La Policia and Pemex.
Topes are triangle shaped speed bumps. Go Slow! Even the crazies out there doing 150km in the 100km come to a stop at the Topes. We drove over 600 km and never banged a single Tope.
La Policia and la mordida? Saw very few policeman and the ones we did looked they were busy and going somewhere more important than hustling a tourist for 300 pesos. We always got the gas we paid for at the Pemex stations. No quick change / sleight of hand or short pumps experienced.

The Water, the food, la tourista.
We stayed at the Hotel Akumal Caribe. It was clean, neat, had cold air conditioning, a small refrigerator and a great view from the balcony. Our Maids had the sweetest “Holas” I’m certain I will ever hear. There was 5 gallons of fresh/drinkable water in your room and fresh flowers at all times. Everyone, everywhere drinks bottled water. It’s cheap, usually very cold, comes in about 7 different size bottles, no problemo.
I haven’t eaten Mexican since I’ve been back because I know I will be so disappointed. All of the food we ate was fantastic. Neither of us had any digestive distress at any time. Seeing the sights: Tulum, Coba and Muyil.
Anxious to get out into the jungle and see the Yucatan we set out for Coba. We were one of the first cars to arrive at Coba. Due to the large area and potentially confusing trails we got Mario at the gate ($45 US with a $10 US tip) to walk us around. When we got to Nohoch Mul there was nobody climbing the highest pyramid in the Yucatan. By the time I had climbed to the top there were probably 200 others going up, down or getting ready to make the ascent. The view from the top is worth the effort. I just wish there wasn’t so much trash left on top. Empty water bottles? Come on folks, show a little respect.
Muyil is 25 kilometers past Tulum headed south on 307. Muyil is small but the Castillo there is a marvel of architecture. I think it cost maybe $15 US for us both to get in and wander around. We were the only people there the entire time.
Everyone says to go to Tulum early and beat the crowds. We were parking in the lot by 8:05 am. Being there that early allowed us to get the pictures we had gone to take. We did not employ a guide here as the park is easy to navigate. By the time we left an hour later there were probably a thousand people in the park.
Summary: The vacation was superb. The food and weather were fantastic and the people were so friendly and helpful. Our intention was to come and go quietly, enjoy the beauty and laid back pace of life while sampling the food and culture. We were very successful. We hope to go back one day and find Akumal completely unchanged.

Villas Maya - great stay

by TripAdvisor Member SuzInLuz

We just returned from 5 days at the Villas Maya at the Hotel Akumal Caribe. Our stay was wonderful - a beautiful beach, great snorkeling and diving, good food and nice people. The hotel and restaurant staff couldn't be any nicer, always smiling and friendly. The room, while spare in a way that makes sense when you cater to divers, was roomy and spotlessly clean. The a/c worked well and the bed, while firm, was comfortable. The beach was gorgeous - white sand, blue water, and lots of shade under the coconut trees. We loved the small-town feel of the area and liked to wander around after dinner, checking out the shops and enjoying the breeze. If you are looking for glamorous accomodations and lots of excitement this isn't the place for you, but if you want a quiet stay in a beautiful location with the feel of the real Mexico, you should give the Hotel Akumal Caribe a try!

House of the Turtle

by TripAdvisor Member GeorgeFarris

If Akumal is Mayan for "Place of the Turtle," then Hotel Akumal Caribe is surely the "House of the Turtle." Built on a beautiful beach that is picturesque in the day, but so very romantic by moonlight!

We stayed in one of their bungalows which gave imparted a tropical atmosphere and combined convenience with privacy. The ceiling fans were a great touch. If you are a certified scuba diver you should definitely look into combining your stay as part of a scuba package. The diving in the area is amongst the best one can find anywhere. We stood in the boat and could see bottom at 60' -- now that is unsurpassed visibility!

The Lol-Ha restaurant provides a suitable array of local dishes and continental cuisine. We opted not to take the meal plan to gain more flexibility, but in the end ate most of our meals in-house anyway.

The location gets you away from the glitz of Cancun, but within an hour's drive of Quintana Roo's best known Classical Mayan site -- Tulum. If I were a Mayan warrior that's where I'd want to be stationed! Also investigate making a trip to the seldom seen Mayan site of Chac Mool. Unspoiled, beautiful, and quiet -- Hotel Akumal Caribe is the place to stay when visiting the Mayan Riviera.

Great little hotel on the beach in real Mexico

by TripAdvisor Member PWBudgetTraveler

We stayed at Hotel Club Akumal Caribe last Thanksgiving week and loved it. It's a small hotel in a small town about 45 miles south of Cancun, favored by scuba divers, and you can go out 50 steps from your room to some of the best snorkeing ever! It's real Mexico, not the Mexico north in Cancun at the resorts that could be anywhere. We were there with our daughters age 13 and 11 who enjoyed it as well.
Price is reasonable, service is accomodating, and very laid-back experience. Will definitely be back.
Hint: Stay on the second or third floor so you can keep your balcony door open at night to hear the soothing sounds of the ocean.

"This place has everything you need." --Shannon, age 9

by TripAdvisor Member Jeannelb

We really LOVED our stay at the Hotel Club Akumal Caribe! My husband and I and our two kids, ages 9 and 7 found this to be the best destination in the Riviera Maya that we have experienced so far (we have been to Cancun and Puerto Aventuras as well). Why?
1) Akumal has a charming, rustic, Mexican feel to it. It also offers several wonderful restaurants to choose from. We had great, high quality meals every time. We ate salads, fruit and all the supposedly "off limits" stuff and no one got sick. We especially recommend the Turtle Bay Cafe & Bakery for breakfast and the Lol-Ha for dinners and live music.
2) The hotel was SUPER QUIET with comfortable beds, had a cooler with purified water and a refrigerator/freezer, an electric hot plate and dishes to use for meals. We used the dishes daily for our breakfast cereal, oj, etc that we brought along. You can purchase food at the local Super Chomak grocery store, too. The balcony offered great views.
3) The beach is fabulous: on a calm day, you can snorkel and see sea turtles, schools of hundreds of fish, and huge stingrays among the beautiful coral reefs. This beach is unique also in that there are LOTS of shady palm trees and palapas--makes it very pretty. The beach was well-maintained and there were a lot of polite security guards around.
4) If it is not a calm day, a $5 cab ride and $7/adult admission to the Yal Ku lagoon is a guaranteed excellent snorkelling experience as well as a treat for iguana lovers.
5) The swimming pool was refreshing and actually long enough to swim laps for exercise. A private Yoga studio is also available and my husband enjoyed early morning jogs along the local road.
6) The Buddah Gardens spa right next to the pool was heavenly--great facials and massages (other choices too).
7) The kids club was available most of the day--not too many kids there, however, but we were there on an off week.
8) We booked a fishing trip at the Dive Shop--the boat driver was very accommodating and said we could customize the trip to be whatever we wanted it to be. So, when the fishing didn't pan out, he took us to see a cenote, then took us to a great snorkelling spot near a small Mayan ruin.
Akumal is about 1 hour and 10 minute drive from the Cancun airport. It is very easy to simply hire a cab --cost about $60 US each way. Don't expect things to be cheap. We found that the prices for meals/spa/services was about the same as what we pay in the US in a major metro area. But, the quality of everything was consistently great and all the people friendly and helpful.

Always great

by TripAdvisor Member timmerinminnesota

We've stayed at Akumal Caribe several times over the past 15 years. Why do we keep going back? Simple. Peaceful and quiet, relaxing and beautiful, inexpensive and clean. If you want these things, along with some pretty good snorkeling right outside your hotel, this is the place to go. If you're looking for nightlife, plenty of people, parasailing, etc. you're about 65 miles too far south.
We've always been able to count on Akumal to be a very relaxing time, where you can life life simply for awhile. No real frills, no loud sounds coming from the beach, no "chug-a-lug" at the beach bar (although you can meet some fun folks there). Decent nightlife is really only 10-15 minutes away from here if you want. But for a good bargain in a peaceful environment, this place is just right.

We made a good choice

by TripAdvisor Member MNAnnie

We've always stayed in PDC, but this year we decided to stay in three locations: Isla Mujeres, Akumal, and Tulum. Akumal was my favorite!

We stayed in a bungalow which was huge! It's not fancy, but it's clean. The beds were the hardest we had on this trip. The grounds are very well cared for, and the beach is beautiful! The food at Lol-ha snack bar is good and has a wonderful view! All of the employees were friendly and helpful.

First Timers Trip Report: Topes Are Easy!

by upsouthvolleyball

"Visiting Akumal and seeing the Mayan ruins."

Driving in Mexico: Topes, La Policia and Pemex.
We drove to Akumal, Coba, Tulum, Sian Ka'an Biosphere and Muyil. The issue never once arose where we had to worry about the left turn from the far right side of the road thing. The only places you can turn left on any of the routes above are by taking the “Retorno”, clearly marked as coming up ahead and in the middle/left hand lane. It’s just a legal u-turn and easy to do. The topes are clearly marked and come in two varieties, sometimes combined. The first is the metal balls planted in the road. They’re the size of softballs and you do need to go slow. Sometimes they precede the real Topes which are triangle shaped speed bumps. Go Slow! Even the crazies out there doing 150km in the 100km come to a stop at the Topes. We drove over 600 km and never banged a single Tope.

The Water, the food, la tourista.
We stayed in room 415 at the Hotel Akumal Caribe. It was clean, neat, had cold air conditioning, a small refrigerator and a great view from the balcony. Our Maids had the sweetest “Holas” I’m certain I will ever hear. There was 5 gallons of fresh/drinkable water in your room (and fresh flowers) at all times. Everyone, everywhere drinks bottled water. It’s cheap, usually very cold, comes in about 7 different size bottles, no problemo.

Anxious to get out into the jungle and see the Yucatan we set out for Coba. The road to Coba is well marked and while the road was under construction (as almost all the roads seem to be) the trip was easy and took a little over an hour. We were one of the first cars to arrive at Coba. Due to the large area and potentially confusing trails we got Mario at the gate ($45 US with a $10 US tip) to walk us around. As others have noted sometimes the guide’s recollection of the Mayan people doesn’t match up with what you may have read but he was an entertaining man with very good English, willing to answer any questions we had. When we got to Nohoch Mul there was nobody climbing the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan. By the time I had climbed to the top there were probably 200 others going up, down or getting ready to make the ascent. The view from the top is worth the effort. I just wish there wasn’t so much trash left on top. Empty water bottles? Come on folks, show a little respect.
We left Coba by noon and headed to Tulum for some lunch. We shopped a little in Tulum for t-shirts and jewelry. My limited Spanish came in handy as I was good with the numbers and did a little bartering when we purchased several items from one store. Don’t worry if you don’t understand the Spanish, the shop keepers will put the number on a calculator for you to decide if they are charging too much. There are many good cafes along the main drag in Tulum. We stopped at Charlie’s but it was closed on Mondays so we ate delicious ham sandwiches at Gaudi Cafe before we proceeded to Muyil, 25 kilometers past Tulum headed south on 307. Muyil is small but the Castillo there is a marvel of architecture. I think it cost maybe $15 US for us both to get in and wander around. We were the only people there the entire time. We did not find the trail to the lagoon and the rickety tower you can climb for a view over the area but we felt very fortunate to experience it all alone.

Everyone says to go to Tulum early and beat the crowds. We left Akumal at 7:30 and were parking in the lot by 8:05 am. We were the second car in the park. Being there that early allowed us to get the pictures we had gone to take. I hope the one I have selected to post works. It is very beautiful with a stunning backdrop against the blue ocean. We did not employ a guide here as the park is easy to navigate. By the time we left an hour later there were probably a thousand people in the park.
We left Tulum and headed down the beach road to Punta Allen. Our intention was to find a nice spot for lunch and a quiet beach but the drive turned out to be so entertaining that we just kept driving until we ended up inside the Sian Ka’an Biosphere at the CESiaK Center. We had a delicious breakfast and then did a 3 hour kayak trip out into the mangrove islands. It cost $80 US but included our breakfast. We saw beautiful birds as we paddled across the still and shallow water. It was hot and it requires quite a bit of exertion but we were very glad we did it. The view from the top of the CESiaK offices is not to be missed.

Comments