Avalon Grand Cancun

Satisfaction Average

Costs 51% less but rated 13% lower than other 4 star hotels

• pondmaster's Profile Photo

All Inclusive Bargain?

My friend and I stayed at this resort in April 2005. My friend had purchased two all inclusive packages at this resort for $400 each for 7 days. Enroute to arrival at this hotel I misplaced my wallet so I did'nt have money for tips. The service I received was unfriendly at best from the waitstaff due to my lack of money. The front desk staff were however, helpfull with any questions.

We were supposed to be booked into a room with 2 beds but all they could give us was a single with a sofabed. I went to pull the bed out and it was covered with big stains. The staff brought a fold up bed to sleep on, not very comfortable. There were metal doorstops molded into the tile floor in the bathroom, good for ripping your toes open in the middle of the night. The area outside of the room smelled strongly of sewage at times.

I was downstairs in the lobby shortly after arrival and my roomate was back in the room when someone knocked on the door. Before he could respond, one of the waitstaff slid his key in the door, then looked surprised when he discovered someone was in the room. My friend asked him what he was doing and he responded "Just checking on things". The staff had 2 way radios and they would ask me several times where my roomate was before this incident, as he stayed in the room for several hours alone. We did not feel safe leaving our valuables in this room, and subsequently ended the trip a few days short.

Unique Quality: The oceanview room was nice, except for the bedding. The ocean was too rough to swim in. The service was substandard at best.

Directions: Across the street from the Flamingo Plaza, featuring many nice restaurants and shops

• OUR BEACH CLUB

We didnt stay here, just at the Radision Hacienda,but this hotel had arragement with our hotel the Radidison Hotel to use their beach club.There hotel is beautiful however the beach club drinks were expensive,$5.00us for the type of plastic glass of coke you would recieve on a airplane.This hotel is Nice thought.Check out my timeshare night mare from there same hotel.

More about Avalon Grand Cancun

Avalon Grand - we'll be back!!!

by TripAdvisor Member bargert

I totally agree with Portsmouth, England in her review. We just recently returned from an absolutely wonderful vacation from July 30 to August 4, 2003. I read the rviews like others but to each his own and decided to try the Avalon Grand anyway. I must say it was wonderful - oh did i say that aready! Oh well I am blunt so if u have any questions please feel free to e-mail w/questions. I am blunt so here are some....
Yes the beds were hard. The views were wonderful, are room set right over the pool and overlooked the ocean. The staff was wonderful and quick to ask if we needed anything i.e. towels (we had plenty) and somehow as leaving our room we seemed to always meet the maid in the entrance and she always wanted to know if anything else was needed. We ordered room service 3 times and it was there in 20 minutes flat, it was hot and oh so good!!! Bellavista was good buffet type, Kelly's was sports bar and had good fries and burgers just make sure you tell them how you want it cooked - don't ike mine well done... I'm a medium done type of woman! Me casa es su casa prefers reservations and is relly quite good but if your hungry you'll have to order seconds, but don't worry baby your all-inclusive baby!!! Oh for those wanting the best deals don't bother going to the flea market. Plaza Flamingo had better prices and that was before bargaining. Flea market wanted $12US for t-shirts, you can get the same ones at Plaza Flamingo for $8US but first go to Plaza La Isla, if your into t-shirts/souvenirs you can get them 3 or 4 for $20US. Both plazas are within a short (5-10 min) walking distance from the hotel and remember everything is bargainable.
I have to tell you this we saw these adorable candles at the Flea market they wanted $18US I talkd them down to $10US and then said 3 or $17US and they said no so we walked I'm SO glad I found identical candles at Plaza Flamngo for $6US. We can't wait to go back! Make sure you get in on the beach and pool volleyball that can be alot of fun!

Avalon Grand -defitnely not a 5 star!

by TripAdvisor Member katrinamg1

I just returned back from my trip to Cancun 8/14-8/19 and had to review my stay at the Avalon Grand. This site is wonderful and very helpful tool when looking for info. on hotels etc. Anway Avalon Grand, is not a 5 star resort as they claim! After reading the comments listed below I was prepared and anticipated a few things which were very much truthful. The beds are very hard! You have to enjoy a massage at the spa after sleeping on them for a number of days. The rooms were small, had an ordor after a while and the water (showers) didn't get hot at certain times throughout the day. To note the first day they actually placed us in a room next to the kitchen where we heard banging of pots and pans up unitl 1 am and early as 5am. They finally moved us the 2nd day to another room, which was smaller but away from the kitchen.The food display in the buffet sytle restaurant is not appetizing, but the food was decent and well seasoned. The Mexican restaurant was also OK, the prices at the Porter House were a bit expensive so we didn't dine there. Overall the food was a 6 on a scale of 10. Don't bother to order a pina colada if you want to taste alcohol, I felt I was drinking a coconut shake. I had to ask the bartender to put an extra 3 shots of bacardi rum (that's what the bottle label claims, who really knows) for me to taste any kind of alcohol. If you are an owner, they will treat you better. Don't do the so called 90 minute tour if you're not interested in buying a time share. Otherwise you will waste 3 hours of your time anyway. Of course they show you the 2 bedroom suite which I'm sure is the only one on the whole property. We met a couple who bought into a 1BR, and they never saw it. They were put into a studio apt instead even though they booked their stay 6 months in advance. As far as activites only a few which center around the pool area. The location of the hotel is in a good spot across from Planet Hollywood & Flamingo Plaza which is a small mall. You can take a short bus ride to hit the clubs etc. If you go over to Isla Ma Jueres you can enjoy the other Avalon which was OK, smaller and more private. If you have the all inclusive package. Oh yes and all inclusive you're not supposed to tip, but they are looking still looking for tips.

Overall, I would recommend Avalon Grand.

My boyfriend and I stayed at Avalon Grand from 8/9/03 for 6 nights. It was a spur of the moment vacation and we first tried to stay at Club Med, Cancun. I'm glad we didn't. Avalon Grand is more centrally located, closer to everything else.

After being bombarded with timeshare salespeople at the airport, we arrived at Avalon Grand. It was a little before noon and the room wasn't ready. (Check in time is 3.) However, we were able to leave our luggage at the lobby and the lady at the front desk gave us the "all inclusive wrist bands" so we could go to restaurants and have lunch/drinks without paying for it. Around 2:30, we checked into our room. It was a small room with one queen size bed, but the AC was working and the room was clean. Yes, the bed was VERY HARD. We stayed at the "condo" side of the property. One thing we noticed. The building doesn't have elevators, although there are several stories. So if you have a wheel chair, or a little one in a stroller, I would not recommedn this place. There are some steps that are equipped with ramp, but they're very rare. As a matter of fact, we saw one lady in a wheelchair, going to a restaurant, and she had to get off the chair and use a walking stick to go down the stairs. We saw lots of people with strollers having a hard time, too.

Food was OK. The main restaurant offered typical buffet food and we knew from the beginning it would get old pretty soon. But they were open pretty much all day, so it was very convenient. The Mexican restaurant was OK, but they required reservations. Drinks were OK, too, although they were a little watered down. Another thing we noticed. It was almost impossible to get Corona beer around the hotel area. They serve only Dos Equis, which we enjoyed very much. One night we decided to have dinnner at Kelly's Sports Bar. BIG MISTAKE. It took them an hour and a half to get our order. I hope it was an isolated incident, but they always seemed to be slow serving drinks, too.

The next morning, we received a phone call from a lady at the tour desk. She told us to come down and get the welcome packet. Another mistake. We got sucked into their timeshare presentation. We didn't realize till this point that Avalon is a timeshare place. A 90-minute presentation turned into a gruelling 3-hour ordeal. Their first offer was a little less than $40,000 over 30 years lease, but by the end of the ordeal, the last offer was a little over $1,500! We managed to get out of this and got 2 free tickets for Jungle Tour, which we went the next day. The tour was OK, since it was free, but after a 45-minute speed boat ride, you get to the snorkeling point and we saw more people swimming than fish. I would not recommend this tour if you pay for it.

Well, despite some negative points I described above, we totally enjoyed our vacation there and we would not hesitate to go back there.
Although the beach was small, it was absolutely gorgeous. Yes, the hot tub was a little cool, but it was enjoyable. We would just avoid timeshare presentation if we ever go back there again.

Loved the Avalon Grande in Cancun!!

We are from canada and went to Cancun for Christmas of 2002 with our 11 and 12 year old and had an absolute blast. The Hotel(Avalon Grand) was superb...want to go back right now!! I am hooked on Cancun.

Fantastic holiday

Read the reviews went to see for myself. Stayed at the Avalon Grand 2 - 16 July 2003 Beach A1, Pools fantastic, plenty to eat and drink. The kids loved the hotdogs and hamburgers at the Poolside and Kelly's at night. Staff fantastic especially Jose in Kellys and Carlos by the pool. the only downside was that there wasn't any entertainment for the kids. Best holiday I have every been on, I didn't want to come home and that is not me, usually 10 days does me. Would definitely go back. (but hope to miss the hurricane warning next time)

Don't Listen to Bad Reviews!!!

OK, stayed at Avalon Grand 22/7/03 - 5/8/03 so just returned and writing this whilst still fresh in my mind.Firstly I as many others read lots of bad reviews on this hotel and was very nervous getting there.I can tell you all now, that myself my fiancee and my 9 yr old daughter had a fantastic time there.The hotel IS grand, it is very clean, smart and well looked after.The desk staff were very helpful,all of the staff from the porters to the maids to the bar staff to the restaurant staff were very friendly and helpful and ALWAYS said hello or good morning as they went by.The towel sculptures that the maid left on the bed daily were a very nice touch and showed attention to detail.The food was of a very high standard and the meal times were very long which meant that even if you were out for the day, you could still get food when you returned.As all-inclusive this was great and as there was always so much to chose from, you never went hungry.The pools were great although we mainly stayed at the upper (quiet) pool,but that was personal choice.Everyone at the main pool seemed to enjoy themselves.The beach was amazing.It was not suitable for snorkeling etc but that was due to the waves which were right along that part of the coast and of course nothing to do with the hotel.As others have said, all of the hotels along there have steps down to the sand.It is not unusual nor a problem.In fact if you walk along the beach, there are some of the bigger hotels such as the Hyatt, which have steps leading down from about 8 - 10 metres and the beach has rocks!The sand is as described on another review as like golden flour and has to be seen to be believed.And amazingly it never gets hot!!The Bellavista has a great view, the Mexican restaraunt has great local food and Kelly's sports Bar is great for light meals and does some great steak,as you sit inside a waterfall (you'll know what I mean if you have been).All in all, I have no complaints about the hotel and we all had a great time.
I have no hesitation in reccomending the Avalon Grand to anyone visiting Cancun.

Not what we expected

We visited the Avalon Grand from 8/01/03 - 08/08/03. We were really excited about staying here-- we had read more positive reviews than negative ones, but after staying at the hotel, I would have to agree more with the negative reviews. This property claims to be a 5 star hotel-- definately not! I would rate it 3 star quality. My husband and I were disappointed with the hotel-- looks great from the outside, but the decoration inside is pretty tacky (think 1980's decor). They could have done so much with this property! The room decor is "rustic". We stayed in a 1 bedroom studio. It was pretty large, but the bed was like a rock and the room was always damp and wet. The bathroom was small and unimpressive. Service was average, with the exception of a gentleman by the name of "Javier" (did not get his last name). We were also bombarded by timeshare salespersons. If you are not interested in timeshares, do not agree to any of their free breakfasts, discount tickets, or presentations-- they are a waste of time, you will be pressured to buy! The food was average-- not much selection (in comparison to other "5-star" hotels that we have visited). The restaurant Mi Casa Es Su Casa was better than average, but reservations are always needed. I would NOT stay here again. The hotel is incorrectly advertised-- the rooms are not as nice, the food is not as good, the drinks are watered down-- THIS IS NOT A 5 STAR PROPERTY!!!!!!!!!

Exceeded expectations

My wife and I stayed at the Avalon Grand June 22-29, 2003. I had read
some negative reviews and was prepared to not be exactly overwhelmed by
the property. Well, all I can say is - GO! We have stayed at several
different resorts and condo/timeshare properties in Cancun and this is
by far our favorite. Why? 1- Great beach - fairly quiet (water sports
nearby - but didn't intrude on the peacefulness of our beach, which was
sandy, with nice waves (and a lifeguard). Many locations in Cancun have
rocky areas (some completely rocky). 2- Great view. We stayed in an
ocean-front studio. on the 3rd or 4th floor. The balcony was
incredible. We could HEAR and see the beach from our bed or sleeper
sofa. The view of the pool from the sofa area was also nice. We go to
the ocean because we like to be in the water, hear the water, smell the
water - well, you get the picture.
- We highly recommend springing for a guaranteed oceanview - it is well worth the price (unless you are the type that spends no time in your room or on the balcony. If that's the case - stay anywhere.

3- Great room. Firm, but comfortable beds - had NO problem sleeping
(and my wife is picky). Kitchen amenities nice. Bathroom small, but
clean and adequate. 4- Great staff. They all were polite, friendly, and
remembered us after a couple of days. 5- Great location. 2 minutes from
the local bus stop, you don't need a car. 5-10 minute walk (or a couple
minutes by bus) to 2 malls, and lots of restaurants - Planet Hollywood
is across the street. We did All Inclusive, because that was our
package. It's convenient, but really not necesary. The prices in the
hotel restaurants are reasonable if you don't want to go out, and other
restaurants are within minutes. The beach and lobby bars (as well as
restaurant bars are convenient and can make about anything (and will
adjust amount of liquor at your request). The property is new and
beautiful, with a lush courtyard and nice hot tubs. My wife had a a
great,and reasonable priced massage in the spa. Some people have
commented on the amount of stairs - but unless you have mobility
problemsthere easy (and we are in our 50's). Yes, you will probably be
asked if you want to take a "vacation-ownership" tour - there is NO
harrassment, though. And the tour is less than 90 minutes. Our
"salesman" did the spiel and then let us go. Actually, the property
speaks for itself (if you are interested in that kind of thing....) So,
GO. Have a great time. ENJOY. And open up theose patio doors and listen
to paradise.

Avalon Grand or Avalon Reef

by TaraBartlett

I am going to Cancun for my first time and we have a choice between these two hotels.
The Grand is in the hotel zone and the Reef is on the isle mujeres.
Does anyone have any pros or cons that may help us make our decisions on where we should stay?

We are both very quite like relaxation, we do not party at all. We would like a nice quiet relaxing vacation with some water activities but nothing wild of the sort, any feedback??

Thanks.

Re: Avalon Grand or Avalon Reef

by senoritamc

If you are looking for Relaxation you will find it at Isle Mujeres. Especially this time of the year.
Can-Cun is always bustling. Do you know how far your hotel is from the fairy dock? Check with the hotel and see if they have pickup accomadations. We thought we were being slick by booking a hotel two blocks away from the dock but towing the luggage two blocks was harder then it sounded.
Check out my pages on Isle Mujeres.

Re: Avalon Grand or Avalon Reef

by brkilbourne

Yes I agree that it is much more relaxed. One important thing. Do not drink or brush teeth with water except bottled. Stay in a cancun hotel & their water & ice is purified. Carefull of fruite and vegetable rinsed in water. Cancun is geared to tourist. The flamingo was nice on the strip.
BK.
check out web pages

Re: Re: Avalon Grand or Avalon Reef

by Gatopardo

Try the massage in Avalon in Isla Mujeres..
It's just perfect!

Re: Re: Avalon Grand or Avalon Reef

by Summersquash

I think I would stay in Cancun and take the ferry over to the Isle Mujeres. You can get information on the ferry from your hotel. or book a snorkeling tour over tothe Isle. The Isle is great for snorkeling but there is not as much going on there. Some shops and tourist things, but it felt a little dead to me. Cozumele might be a better option than either of the other two. I have not stayed there myself but I have friends that liked it because it was guieter and more relaxing. not such a party town.

Comments