Azul Hotel & Beach Resort

4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Carretera Federal Chetumal Km. 27.5, Puerto Morelos, Riviera Maya, 77580, Mexico
Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma
Orbitz.com Hotels.com CheapCaribbean

Costs 123% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Azul Hotel & Beach Resort

most of the time we camped. We...

by theskydancer

most of the time we camped. We had a small tent but, to be honest, we did not use it much. Sleeping under the stars was so much better. We also stayed at people's home whenver we were invited. I went with my twin brother - and best friend: he brought his guitar and often played for people in their homes: I danced flamenco (or tried to, at least). In the photo, my very favourite camping spot - in Aqua Azul. Perfect scenery, and great for nude swimming at dawn.

Beautiful resort

by lunabelle about Costa Azul Adventure Resort

Costa Azul lies on a gorgeous piece of propery on the beach right up against the jungle. It is an "adventure resort" because they have lots of tours and excursions in the natural surrounding areas. Surf is the big attraction and the main reason we chose to stay there. They have lots to offer in accommodations- rooms & villas of different sizes and you can pay for the room only and pay individually for food and excursions or you can get the all inclusive packages with unlimited everything. We chose the villa which had been newly remodeled and was gorgeous! It was $20 more per person, per night but well worth it. The biggest villa even has it's own pool! We also did the all inclusive which was gr8 because everything was paid for before we got there- all we had to do was tip! The grounds are lush, lots of flowers and butterflies and birds. The main dining hall is open air (no screens) with a palm roof and view of the ocean. The food was very good, authentic, with lots of options. We had the shrimp ceviche almost every day and still couldn't get enough. I didn't have any problems with food or water, which was gr8 because everyone said I would. I was assured that the kitchen had filtered water for drinking, ice, and food washing, which is very comforting. The staff is incredibly helpful and kind. They offer many choices in excursions daily so there is lots to do. And if you want to visit somewhere on your own, they arrange a taxi to take you there.

Azul, beautiful beach and resort

by TripAdvisor Member danielle

We have recently arrived back from a trip to the beautiful Mayan Riviera and Azul Hotel. I know lots of people are anxiously awaiting reviews as they are planning vacations there in the near future - I do think you will have a wonderful time there - but don't expect everything to be perfect! Most of the things you have read in the other reviews are accurate.
The resort is absolutely beautiful! The look and layout of the resort is not comparable with anywhere, it is just so lovely.
They are still working out a lot of quirks, mainly with the food and the service. The rooms are small, but they are just fine for two people, the bathrooms are also small, but they are beautiful! The shower curtains are a pain but they bring you lots of fresh towels every day so don't worry! The beds are quite firm but the pillows are lovely and soft!
The food - here are my comments: There is no consistency. I would say that is the biggest problem Azul Hotel has right now, there is no consistency with anything. One day, you will have wonderful food and wonderful service from friendly staff. The next day you will get very average food, terrible slow service from rude staff. This can make the vacation not as relaxing as it should be. You will find out soon enough who the good staff are, ask to be seated in their section. One morning I waited an hour for my breakfast, and when I got it, it was different from what I had ordered, and only warm. The next day, I got my breakfast order in about 5 minutes and it was hot and delicious! They do have a breakfast buffet each day, but you are always welcome to order from the menu. As for dinner, we thought The Grill (which is the outside part of Blue restaurant) was absolutely the best! They have a buffet for vegetables and some Mexican dishes (like the best Tamales you'll ever eat!) and then they will barbeque what ever you want from choices like Sea Bass, chicken breasts, fillet steaks - yum! Second best is Taipan, the Asian restaurant - the banana tempura is the best dessert!. The snack bar "La Mancha" does have good sandwiches, the best ones are the Arabic Pita and the Club. They also have lots of stuff which is not on the menu, for example taco chips and fresh salsa and guacamole. They do have cookies, and fruit cups and small cakes, but no smoothies!
The drinks at the pool bar are not as top shelf as the drinks at the Tequila lounge. The tequila lounge is fab and they will make you anything you want - they have it all!
While we were there they did have entertainment every night and it was really good - Mexican dancers, Circus night, Live bands.
The water in the pools is not heated but they are beautiful for swimming in! Just get under and swim around for about 10 seconds and you will see!
The beach - the beach is just fabulous! It is one of the best beaches in the area. There is a tiny amount of sea grass - so little I don't know what everyone is complaining about! You can totally swim at the beach and it is wonderful, the water is warm and perfectly clear. There is a huge coral reef about 100 meters from the shore, the waves break here so that the water up by the beach is perfectly calm. The beach beds like everyone says are fab! And we never had any trouble getting one. If one was empty for about half an hour we just went and got in it!
The buildings - As everyone says, there does seem to be some issues with some of the buildings - the lowdown is: Buildings 1 - 6 are great, try to get a room in one of those if you can (5 and 6 are right by the pool bar, but I don't expect they would be too noisy as it is not really a roudy crowd) Building 7 is right by the kitchen and service path, ergo - dish washing noises all night. I think building 9 is probably ok. The biggest problem is buildings 10, 11 and 12 - there is a huge amount of construction going on right now at the property adjacent to these buildings. They had to move guests from these buildings to another hotel because the noise was so bad! You may want to find out if the construction is still going on right before you leave if you can, then steer clear of these buildings!
Overall, the resort is beautiful. If you have problems, you need to speak up - they will do what they can for you. Don't put up with bad service from the few staff who provide it. Ask for another waiter or complain to a manager - the restaurants both have managers who are wonderful. And about the activities - they were always on while we were there - the only time they don't do them is if no one shows up for them!
I will be happy to answer any questions that are posted on the Puerto Morelos forum.
Overall I would say - if you have alreay booked Azul Hotel then have a wonderful vacation and just remember go with an open mind and don't expect everything to be perfect, you will still have a lovely time. If you have not already booked this resort, it may be better to wait for a few months or so, then check back on the reviews to see if the food and service have improved.

Agua Azul

by MARIOCAL

Agua Azul is a nice waterfall area easely accesible out of Palenque. You get stunned by the force of these falls. The noice and moisturised air are the first impression which will never fade away.

Misol Ha-Aguas Clara-Cascadas de Agua Azul

by spalatino

Made a day trip from Palenque to Misol Ha-Aguas Clara-Cascadas de Agua Azul. it is really nice excursion if you like water and nature. Can go swiming at Cascadas. Do not miss to go behind the waterfall at Misol Ha (no signs around, found it by case)

wow!

by TripAdvisor Member Jimyk

My husband and I just returned from spending two weeks at the Azul and thought it was wonderful. For anyone who has negative things to say regarding any part of their vacation here, I'd like to know where they've stayed previously? This was our 9th visit to Mexico and were overwhelmed by the all of the thoughtful touches that the hotel seemed to have taken care of and a few we've never experienced before. I'd only be repeating all the positive's everyone has already mentioned and would add that we found the service very good most of the time and the food was great. The bar had very high level international brand drinks (eg. Grand Marnier, Johnny Walker Black label - 12 year old, etc)
and there was never a line up of more than two people at any given time. We would highly recommend this hotel and would also stay here again ourselves. We've already said that anywhere else we stay will have a hard time matching this one.

Good and will improve with time

by TripAdvisor Member Bliss658

We stayed at Azul from Jan 10 to the 15th. We were greated with fresh towels and champagne at check-in, and it didn't take long to get our rooms. The ocean view and breezes were beautiful. The grounds were also very clean and well maintained. We had deluxe rooms, had no problems with showers or toilets. Bathroom was a little small but no big complaints. We were lacking a do not disturb sign in our room so housekeeping woke us up frequently. A couple nights we got a DVD from the desk and they sent up popcorn which was good. Room serviced never took too long, and the food was good.

The beach is beautiful, and the water is clear, we loved it. The beach butlers are constantly bringing around water, fruit etc. which was nice. The beach area is very private and secluded. We didn't participate in any of the activities but we saw aquaerobics going on, as well as volleyball. We took one tour through the hotel's travel on site reps to Women Island, which said it included shopping and parasailing but it didn't include either, so if that's what you are after skip it. I got a massage on the beach which was a little rough as the girl didn't understand "too hard" apparently. The pools were very cold, and I too do not understand the cold jacuzzi. I never saw anyone use it, and people rarely used the pools. We always got a beach bed when we wanted one, it was never a problem finding somewhere to sit on the beach, we rarely had to wait in line for drinks.

The Tainan restaurant had good food, but it took us 2 1/2 hours to finish our meal because it took so long the one night we went there. Blue's food was okay, I wasn't impressed though. They substitute things without telling you first, for example 4 out of the 5 times I ordered a lobster dish it was served with shrimp instead. Breakfast was my favorite meal, made to order omelettes and a good selection of other foods. Our service was generally great, especially at the main pool bar. Loved the swinging beds in the bar area too!! The Tequila bar had an interesting drink selection, and it looks like they will be selling Azul tequila soon.

We really enjoyed our stay and hopefully will go back when things are running more smoothly.

Wonderful Hotel With A Lot of Potential

My husband and I just returned from a week stay at Azul (Jan. 8th-15th, 2005). Overall we had a wonderful time and really enjoyed the small hotel feel. The staff was great and seemed to really cater to your needs and was happy to assist you. Very welcoming!

Room/Check-in
Our check-in went really smooth and our room was available almost right away even though we arrived at Azul 3 hours prior to check-in time. We requested to be in building 1, based on the reviews that I had read before leaving. We had no problems with plumbing or water temperature. We always had hot showers. The bathrooms are small, but for two people this wasn’t a big deal. The room size was just fine for 2 people as well. The beds are hard, but after a day in the sun we could fall asleep anywhere. We also requested to be on the top floor so we could have a private patio. The ground level rooms have walkways right in front of their patios so they are not as private. The maid service was great and Luis did a wonderful job! Overall we found the rooms to be very nice and the perfect size for two people.

Pools/Beach
All 3 pools were well cleaned and looked nice night and day. One of them could have been a little deeper for swimming but overall they were nice. They are not heated; however, it is kind of nice when you are laying in the hot sun and then jump in a cold pool, very refreshing. The beach/ocean was very nice. The beach beds are a must! We got up early 2 mornings to reserve a beach bed. There is some turtle grass on the shoreline and the first foot or so of water, but after you get past that it is clear. It really depended on the day how bad or good it looked. They did a good job of cleaning the shore throughout the day. If you are looking for a resort with really nice swimming in the ocean I wouldn’t recommend this place, but if you just want to do some casual swimming it is a nice place. Beach butlers were great, especially Bridget!

Activities
The resort is very laid back and there is not a lot of activities, which my husband and I enjoyed. If you are looking for a place to relax this is a perfect place for you! They have beach volleyball, yoga, water aerobics, kayaks, sailing, snorkeling trips, and other misc. things that you can do. They also have an activity desk that can set up whatever you would like. We enjoyed playing beach volleyball with the staff. They are very competitive with each other, which makes it fun. It was also neat to see the activities staff enjoying their jobs and laughing (throwing each other in the pool, etc.). It makes the guests happy to see the staff having a good time!

Food
The food was good. We are not picky eaters; however, I do have a few suggestions in this area. Breakfast was pretty typical with omelets, eggs, bacon, sausage, etc… No complaints… Lunch was a little hectic and if you eat off the menu it can take a while to get served. The food selection for lunch is limited and is basically the same at the Blue Restaurant as it is at the snack bar. Service at lunch was not very good but dinner was wonderful. We ate at the Blue restaurant most evenings and they had a good selection with 5 menus. The food was good, but not outstanding… We also ate at the Asian restaurant one night, the food was ok, but it isn’t our thing, so I am not a good judge of the quality. Overall, I think Azul could improve by offering another restaurant, maybe Italian or a strictly seafood place? Also, improve on service at lunchtime.

Bars/Nightlife
The bars were nice and we never had a problem getting a Corona or any drink for that matter. The tequila lounge was great and we visited it nightly. Abraham was a great bartender; he worked in the tequila lounge during our stay. Say hi to Abraham from his friends in MN! Nightlife was actually really nice. One evening they had Mexican dancers on the beach and another night they had a beach party, which was really fun! Brandon from Tennessee and Bob from North Carolina made it a night to remember! The other evenings were low key and we would listen to the ocean, play some cards and sit on the swinging beds at the bar by the pool.

Suggestions
Better Lunch Service
More food selections (maybe another restaurant)
Adults only (there was a lot of young children, age 3 months - 4 years old)

Overall, if you are looking for a place to relax that isn’t too busy this is the place for you. I would highly recommend it!

Nice getaway

by TripAdvisor Member BERNARDO_10

Left the snow and hustle and bustle for a 5 day getaway. Azul was great. A very dramatic entry to face the ocean as you walk the stairs into registration. Rooms are promised a 3PM and are ready. Clean rooms and a very language capable staff. Not a lot of entertainment but nice. We have stayed at the Allegro resorts for the past 5 years and found this a pleasant step up in almost all areas. The hotel still has a couple of bugs in it but I am looking forward to returning next year to compare.

Positives
A beautiful beach with ample cabanas, beach beds and chairs under the palms. a white sand beach similar to cozumel.
Tinan restaurant was well managed. the servers are well trained and dining was wonderful.
Beach butlers were bringing water and fresh fruit/snacks at great times.
No long bar wait, no lines at the restaurants.
negatives
Dive center is understaffed and there is a language barrier. I went to the reef on a boat with 1 crew who did not speak english at all and 3 new snorkelers. Boat left late and went to 1 reef instead of the 2 promised.
Blue restaurant staff is improving daily. you will acually see the change
cold showers at 7 am and 5 pm. other times warm

suggestions
a second floor deluxe room
bring singles for tips

Trips to Cancun and Playa del Carmen are easily arranged at a small price. Other trips are available to parks and ruins etc.

If you are looking for top of the line quiet resort this may be it. We had a great time without the constant time share sales pitch. I even went to the time share office for info and failed to get a response.
would go back tomorrow.... no problem

Restful and Relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member paris126

My husband and I stayed at Azul from January 4-10 and had a wonderful and relaxing time. We, like everyone else were reading the reviews daily before leading up to the trip and promised ourselves that we would write, so here it is.

Arrival:
We went through Funjet and paid for the non-stop service and we had a limo take us to Azul. It is only about 20 minutes from the airport, which is very nice. We arrived and the lobby is gorgeous! It was open, breezy, overlooking the ocean and smelled great. We were greeted at check-in with warm towels and champagne.

Room:
Our room was ready even though we arrived a few hours before check-in. We stayed in Building 3, room #307 to be exact and it was fine. It was on the second floor, which I think is the best. Building #1-#3 are on the far end....which was nice b/c at night it was away from the bar area at night, which could be a little loud. (not obnoxious or anything). The bed and sheets were fine. We had no problem with the maid service....but left $2 a day, so that might have helped. The bathrooms are on the smaller end but nothing terrible. We always had warm water to shower with and no flushing problems. The sink does have a big bowl and little counter space, but who cares, you are on vacation! I just put all my stuff on the ledge under the sink for storage. There was no bath-tub. Also, I noticed that our room had a small tv (19inch or so). The only reason I noticed was b/c the room downstairs looked like it had a big one. Not a big deal.

Pools and Beach:
The pools are cold and so is the ....hot tub. Probably should fix that but we stayed at the beach the whole time, so we didnt care. I didn't go to Mexico to swim in a pool anyway.
The beach was nice, the water was blue. Some day there was some sea grass but you would only have to take 3-4 steps in the water and you would be in the clear blue sea. Some days there was none at all. The side toward buildings #1-#3 has the least amount of sea grass. The water was very calm b/c of the reef. We went to Cancun on one day and the beach had red flags b/c the waves were so big. So that was nice. The sand was soft and clean, the beach beds were great. We didnt have a problem getting them even when we arrived 10am.but that could very depending on how crowded it is.

Food:
My husband and I ordered room service for breakfast every day. We figured when again would we get the chance to order room service free every day. So we ordered it while we got ready to go to the beach and it was promptly there w/in a half hour. I am a picky eater so I brought my own supplies but my husband ate at Blue every night and loved all of the food that we ate. He didnt like the pop so we drank a lot of virgin strawberry daiquiris, which were really good. I tipped the grill guy every night b/c he was very nice and I wouldnt want his job. I am sure another restaurant would be great b/c just like anywhere you would get sick of the same food after awhile. Someone did mention that they did not have decaf so that may be an issue for some.

Service:
The best part was the staff was very nice and very friendly. I cant say the same about some of the guests. People really need to lighten up, you are on vacation. I can understand why people think Americans are rude, many of us are. The staff is new, they are not 100% fluent with English, give them a break. I can promise you that if you are nice and treat the staff with respect, you will be treated like royalty b/c we were and I am grateful for that. Because I have been in many places/hotels/restaurants in the states and have never been treated so well. The only person who was not the nicest was the Funjet guy I dont think he was happy that we went snorkeling through the resort rather than with one of his packages........o-well, he got over it.
As I was saying, we went out for snorkeling through the hotel and it was my first time. Well I was a bit nervous but the guy on the boat (and yes he didnt speak very much English) was the BEST ever. In the water he helped me adjust my mask, which I kept taking off, whenever I needed it. And when I said that I was too tired to swim anymore, he had me hold the rope of the buoy and actually swam for me! My husband couldnt even keep up he was swimming so fast. Talk about service!

Activities/Nightlife:
Being a full time law student who also works, I was looking only to relax on this vacation and that is exactly what we did. Azul is smaller than one of those massive resorts, so you could be at the beach in 2 minutes, always have a beach chair, not be over-whelmed by screaming kids but at the same time enjoy the resort like facilities. We didnt partake in any of the activities, during the day or night, but I saw them going on and everyone seemed to be having a good time. As I said, my main goal was to relax and the Azul was the perfect place to do that. We did take the shuttle to Playa Del Carmen, which was nice. We got out and walked around and ate dinner. It was nice. We took a cab to Puerto Morelas, but it was a little to non touristy for me. I saw military with guns and that was enough authentic Mexico for me. We took a cab to Cancun one day and that was nice b/c I had never been there. It was $28 each way but it was a nice night out. We also rented a car for one day and drove to Xel-Ha to snorkel (I wanted to give it another shot). It was nice there.we went on a Saturday morning and it was not crowded at all. Didnt go to Telum, maybe next time. The rest of the time we stayed on the beach.the sun was out every day, and the wind was constantly blowing so we never got too hot, which was nice.

So, overall, we loved it.....its all what you make of it. We would definitely go back and wish we were there right now. So, for those of you going.we are jealous!

Agua AzulAgua Azul

Aqua AzulAqua Azul

sunset in front of Costa Azulsunset in front of Costa Azul

costa azul poolcosta azul pool

Aqua Azul

by SylvieV

Hello,

I will travel from San Cristobal to Palenque by bus during the day.

Do you think I should stop at Aqua Azul on my way to Palenque and just stay 2-3 hours there or should I just go to Palenque and then go to Aqua Azul the day after and stay 1 entire day there?

Are there buses going to Aqua Azul from Palenque?

Thx beforehand
Sylvie

RE: Aqua Azul

by alfredop

Hello Sylvie, Agua Azul and Misol-Ha are a must if visiting Palenque. It is not a 2-3 hour trip though, there are buses departing from Palenque and it is more of a day-trip as it takes around 1.5 hours from Palenque to Agua Azul and you'll spend there 2 hours, 2 hours at Misol-Ha and 1.5 hours trip back to Palenque.

Enjoy.

RE: RE: Aqua Azul

by SylvieV

thx a million.

Any idea of things to do in Ixtapa, Mexico.

by hotshot0428

I'll be going to Ixtapa, Mexico for 9 days and 7 days non-stop I will be attending International Conference for my business. We have the conference and I will be staying in Milia Azul Hotel.

I heard that this island many american movies are being filmed there.

So any suggestion to do after my conference.

Thank you so much in advance.

Cheers,

Violeta

RE: Any idea of things to do in Ixtapa, Mexico.

by gomexico

An excellent resource and message board for the Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo communities is found at: http://www.zihuatanejo.net/wwwboard/

About Ixtapa, the city's not an island, as far as I know. At least not the hotel and tourist zone. There is, however, a small island located offshore named Ixtapa, but there not one in the same. Somebody chime in here if I'm wrong about this. Maybe Ixtapa's become disconnected from the mainalnd! About "many" movies, I've not heard that. Check out the website I suggested and you'll get all the answers. Also check elsewhere here on the VT site for travel pages and suggestions for Ixtapa, I'm certain there are some to read.

Suerte!

RE: RE: Any idea of things to do in Ixtapa, Mexico.

by alfredop

Mr GoMexico is right.

Suggestions for doing after work would depend on your likes and dislikes. Some options would be:
- During free days you can take a tour to Ixtapa Island, a fishing trip, a tour along nearby beaches.
- Go out clubbing, several options would be available and they would depend on the season you visit the place on.
- Have a very nice dinner at the Marina, try Lobster with Rose sauce on Boccofino.
- Play golf.
- Go shopping to the flea market.

Enjoy!

RE: RE: Any idea of things to do in Ixtapa, Mexico.

by hotshot0428

Thanks you so much....for suggestion at least I have an idea now.

Cheers,

Violeta

LA PAZ IN MARCH?

by enofile

I will be in La Paz from March 25 through the 31st. I will be staying at the El Angel Azul bed and breakfast. My questions are thus:
1. Will I need to rent an automobile?
2. Where are the best places to snorkel?
3. Where are the best places to dive?
4. Are there any memorable restaurants or bars I should not miss?
Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Enofile