Bel Air Collection

4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Boulevard Kukulcan Km. 20.5 Hotel Zone, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula, 77500, Mexico
Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun
Orbitz.com Agoda.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 43% less but rated 16% lower than other 4.5 star hotels

More about Bel Air Collection

Bel Air - Not quite there

by TripAdvisor Member the_beach_030602

My wife and I decided to go the Bel Air Collection because it appeared to be a cool place to hang out for our One Year Anniversary. We purchased the all-inclusive Kool Lanai Suite for three nights.

Food:
Sushi - Don't eat the sushi as it is the wrong color (if you eat enough sushi you know what color fish should be) and probably two - three weeks old. The sushi bar consists of 6 rolls of which the sushi "chef" only knew how to make three.

Fusion - By far the best aspect of the restaurant. The food pairings are not terribly innovative, but the parings do offer a significant enough departure from normalcy to be included in the genre of fusion. If you eat in the fusion area of the restaurant, only get your service from Fidel. He is the best waiter I have had in years. His personal service and impeccable manners leave you wishing you could have Fidel serve you at every meal (and not just at this restaurant).
Azure - the main dining area is nice, but the food is not imaginative. If you want a middle of the road selection, the menu at Azure is for you. Beware, they bring items to you as though they are included with the meal, but they are charged to you a-la-carte.

Room:
- The Kool Lanai Jacuzzi suite is a nice room. The Jacuzzi works wonderfully and is plenty large enough for two people. The bed was a bit too soft (you sink in it). One of the bed side lamps didn't work, the coffee maker was jammed into the TV stand making it impossible to open the lid to pour water into it. The bathrooms, although well decorated, was a bit cramped (and watch your knees because if you sit on the pot, you can't open the door). Also, the windows don’t open. SO if you want a smell of sea air or listen to the ocean form the comfort of your room, don’t get the Lanai Suite.

Pool:
– The pool area was small. The posted photos of the pool area show chairs with towels covering them. In reality you have fabric covered foam pads… not very comfortable. The pool water seemed to be salt water (from color and level of dirt in it). I did not get into it as I was scared for my health.

Staff:
- The breakfast staff left me with a bad taste in your mouth. The lunch staff is better, but by far the dinner staff is the best (especially Fidel). The bartenders at the pool side bar are lazy. Don’t expect them to bring a drink to you unless you are tipping at least a dollar a drink (per person). The bartender of the lobby Bar, Esteban has a wonderful sense of humor and makes wonderful drinks. The front desk staff is very courteous and always eager to help. The bellboys are okay but not really helpful unless you have money in your hand.

Side notes: the hotel advertised as adult only, but had kids… not very nice if you don’t want to deal with families; the hotel is connected to another building in need of repair. The beach is small but comfortable.

Overall, I like the concept the hotel is shooting for, but the hotel lacks execution in its ability to deliver promised service.

I hope to add photos later.

Absolutely Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member C&D-Happy

This was probably the best resort we've ever stayed at (we've stayed at about 10). We booked only two weeks prior to the trip. This resort is all inclusive, with excellent pool and ocean side access. At the time of our visit the resort was not full.

The check-in was very easy - we arrived in the afternoon. There are no wrist bands to wear as you sign for everything that you have (drinks, food, etc). This may be a hassle for some, but it's easy.

The Room
The room was exactly as described - wonderful, airy and bright. The decor in the hotel is white with red accent - giving it a very rich look. The rooms were always kept very clean. No problems at all with bugs or broken facilities. The bed was extremely comfortable. The room fridge was stocked with bottled water and beer and if they didn't fill every day it was just a matter of asking.
There is a DVD player in each room. There is a small selection of DVD's available at the front desk. Bring your own if you want.
There is a coffee machine in the room as well.

The staff
Staff are very friendly and always helpful no matter what you are looking for.
The staff in the restaurant and bar were very accomodating. The cleaning staff were cheery.

The Food
I can't say enough about the food. This is definitely a 5++++ restaurant. There is one restaurant that serves a la carte - NO buffet. Food was magnificent. Our compliments to the chef.
There is also a sushi bar with excellent sushi - we had not been real sushi eaters - but this changed our minds.

The Pool and Beach
The pool was very nice. Lots of chairs. At the end of the pool is the ocean so no distance to walk. Both were fantastic.
The pool was kept very clean and the workers were diligent in their maintenance.
No loud music - there is background music during the day.

Kids
This is not a resort for kids - it is classed as adults only.
Though, when there is room, the hotel opens to local families. When we were there, only two children. They were a bit loud, but nothing dramatic.

Entertainment and Spa
This resort is not the place to go if you want the 2:00p.m. pool aerobics, the games, or the party atmosphere. This is a realtively quiet atmostphere. The evenings are your own. There are no cheesy entertainment programs in the evenings. This resort is for the people who enjoy a quiet evening at the lobby bar.

Many clubs and pubs in Cancun to go to if you want - just a bus ride away.
We did the bar blitz which gives you an evening at 4 bars with transportation between them. We had a great time.
If you don't want to do that and just want to go to one - Senor Frogs is the most fun.

People that wen met went to the spa and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Transportation
It is very easy to get around in Cancun. The buses run 24 hours a day and about every 5 - 10 minutes outside the hotels.
The Bel Air is close to the airport and just far enough away from the central downtown area.

Things to do
Take the ferry to the Isla of Mujeres (Island of Women) - great to explore (1/2 hour trip on ferry)

We would definitely recommend this resort to anyone - in fact, we will probably go back and we don't usually return to a resort.

Tips not inculded, children are

by TripAdvisor Member remVancouver

We purchased a two week all-inclusive package at an “adults only” resort. We were deceived. There were children under 13 there every day disrupting the peace and tranquility which we had paid for and was one of the main reasons we picked the resort. In addition, we have stayed at many all inclusive resorts in the past and we have never felt so disrespected. Resorts we have stayed at in the past did not write "tips not included" on the bill (nor issued bills) and this happened several times. We have always found our favourite servers at the end of our vacation and tipped them accordingly. One waiter in particular became very aggressive and was demanding I write something in the tip area on the bill (the signing for everything at an all-inclusive is ridiculous). I explained to him we had an all-inclusive package and that we tip at the end if we feel service warrants it. In addition, I explained to him that I spoke to the manager about this earlier when I experienced the “tips not included” for the second time written on my bill and the manager Joel agreed that the staff should not be asking for tips and that we have an all inclusive package which included tips. The waiter's response was that he didn't care who I talked to be it the owner, the manager or who ever, they were a liar. He stated this very loudly and in front of other customers and staff. Totally embarrassed and horrified we had to push by him to leave as he was standing directly behind my chair while demanding I write something in the tip area. We were very upset by this display of disrespect and went immediately to the front desk to complain and ask for the manager. The manager Joel is all talk, I spoke to him several times about the children being there and about the tip thing. On the first occasion he acted all mad and said he wanted to fire someone. He stated that we were in the right and that this will never happen again, well it did, several times, cumulating in the last run in which I described. I contacted my vacation rep and she expedited our moving to another all-inclusive resort for the final 4 days of our stay, which offered wrist bands and superb service, which we gladly tipped for on our last day. The resort has so much potential, but needs to decide if it is an all-inclusive resort catering to couples or if it a resort catering to families and not all inclusive and thus advertise this accurately. It needs to train its staff in common courtesy/ customer service and how an all-inclusive works. I want to add my wife acquired food poisoning from the sushi bar the second night we were there and was sick for three days.

Tranquil Resort

by TripAdvisor Member Mark_Ref

My wife and I stayed at the Bel Air, March 6th to March 13th. We have been to Cancun three previous times, staying at 3, 4 and 5 star all inclusive hotels. We have also been to Punta Cana twice (5 star & Palace) and Puerto Vallarta (4 star).

The Bel Air fits into the specialty category which is concurrent to a 5 star all inclusive. If you want quiet time, relaxing atmosphere and good food, this is the place.

FOOD
There is one restaurant. All your meals are there. It is divided into two parts by hanging beads. The second section is for dinner only. The Breakfast menu remains the same and has a wide variety of selections. The Lunch menu changes daily. The Dinner menu in section one changes daily. In section two, the menu is the same and has very fine dinning options. You can choose to sit in either one. For snacks on the beach or pool, you place an order from a roaming server. There is not a buffet anywhere. Drinks can be ordered on the beach or pool from a server staring at 10:30. The service is second to none, belive me, you will not wait long and will always be treated like royalty.

ROOMS
We stayed in the jacuzzi room, over looking the ocean. There was not a belcony. The room was superb. All the fixtures have been updated. There was a king size bed, mini fridge (included)and sofa. The bathroom had a shower, no bathtub. Sink and toilet were new. There was not an abundance of clothe storage space. Two drawers and a closet, that's it. A/C worked very well and was easy to understand.

BEACH/POOL
The beach is monitored by the Bel Air staff and life guard. They have their own lounge chairs and towels. You can take as many towels as you want. It is on the honor system without the towel card issue. The pool has large foam loungers. There are more than enough for the number of guests. If you swim in the ocean, do not swim directly in front of the hotel. There are large rocks you can't see which are deadly. Swimming is very good 20m left of the hotel.

HOTEL OVERVIEW
Check in was completed in less than 5 minutes. Check out was even faster. There were a few children with their parents. I saw 3 children all week and never heard any of them. This place is quiet. There are not any activities at the pool or beach. The lobby is quiet in the evening with only a few guests. The sound does carry and we could hear some folks late at night.

TIPPING
If you are a deadbeat then going all inclusive is not for you. Tipping at the end of the week you may miss some staff. If you get good service then reward it as you would in Canada. We have 7 trips completed and have found a consistent pattern.
2$ for the maid, 2$ for breakfast, 3$ for lunch and 5$ for dinner. If the service was not good then we do not tip. This worked very well one day with the maid and we got exceptional service after. The bar staff get 1$ every 2 or 3 rounds. We never once had anyone intimidate and/or give any indication tips were expected. It's the opposite, I was happy to tip for good service as I would at home. So get off your wallet and live a little.

The Bel Air - a Unique Experience

by TripAdvisor Member Indigurl

My husband and I stayed at The Bel Air from March 10-17. I found the reviews of the hotel on Tripadvisor very helpful so thought I would write one myself.

To begin, based on what I read, The Bel Air was exactly what I expected. So my first tip is to know what you want.

The Bel Air offers an all-inclusive package, which is what we signed up for, but it is not like other all-inclusives that we have stayed at. If you are looking to be entertained the entire time you are away, The Bel Air is not for you. If you are happy to make your own entertainment, it may very well be what you are looking for.

The check in service was fine. Didn't take very long but it was a little disorganized. A few people arrived when we did and I wasn't sure where the line started or stopped. The gentleman that checked us in was very nice and we were soon headed up to our room.

The rooms are quite lovely. We paid a little extra for the ocean view and felt it was well worth it. We were on the 6th floor and never closed the curtains. The blue and aqua colours of the ocean are amazing!

As others have mentioned, the beds are really comfortable. On about the 3rd day of most vacations I am pining for my bed and my pillow. Never crossed my mind! The decor is all white, red accented with tan coloured marble on the floors and in the bathroom. Quite soothing against the backdrop of the beautiful ocean. Personally, I could do without the red accents but it's a "fusion" thing. The rooms were tended to more than once a day and you never had to ask for towels to be refreshed, it was done automatically in the morning and again at about 4:00 in the afternoon.

The service was excellent. No, tips are not included but get over it. We were never reminded that tips were not included, probably because we did tip right away but we have at every all -inclusive we've stayed at. As others have mentioned a couple of dollars at breakfast and lunch and in the order of 5 for dinner... if the service is good...and you are treated very well. We also tipped for every second or third round of drinks... again, a dollar or two. The bar staff was very attentive and friendly. They got to know our likes and would recommend drinks or just bring one over every now and then unprompted if we looked thirsty. was well worth it. Special thanks to Rosey, Carlos, Hector, Felipe, Paco, Fidel, Vicente, Samuel, Luis, Jorge (in no special order)...and I am sure there were others whose names aren't coming to me right now. We were very impressed with your service.

The food was good. I wouldn't say spectacular but it was good and a far cry better than some other all-inclusives I have been to. I particularly enjoyed the breakfasts and my husband must have ordered the club sandwich for lunch half the days we were there. My favourite evening meal was the lamb. I also really enjoyed the seviche for an appetizer. We tried the sushi and it was fine. My expectation of having great sushi in a Mexican hotel was low so I wasn't dissatisfied :) The Mexican selections on the menu were also very good... when in Rome! My husband missed the selection that is offered by a buffet. At the end of the 7 days, I must say, we were quite tired of the one restaurant but that can be remedied by going out to eat a time or two.

Drinks were good. My only complaint would be that The Bel Air should offer more beer selections than Corona on tap. Mexico has some great beers...Corona isn't one of them! Also should offer one or two imports.

The beach was gorgeous and went on forever. A little hard to walk on not so much because of the shells but more the angle out to the water. I've been on nicer beaches in Bermuda and Cuba but hey, it's a beach! I am not sure if we were there during a particularly windy stretch or if it is windy all of the time. The red flags were up on the beach every day which was a bit of a dissappointment. My husband loves to spend time in the ocean body surfing and such. The surf was good but obviously a bit dangerous based on the number of times we saw the lifeguards go out and retrieve vacationers who got themselves into trouble. The undertow was quite strong. Kudos to the life guards as well. They were always on their toes and seemed to be able to sense when someone was in trouble.

Swimming is my preferred form of exercise so I swam lengths of the pool down along the straight edge most mornings and it was very clean and pleasant to swim in. Someone mentioned they thought it was salt water. It isn't. It was lovely and refreshing. At the straight edge it measures probably about 40-45 metres in case anyone is interested!

We liked the option of stepping outside the hotel and grabbing a bus to go further down the strip or into the city of Cancun. Very convenient. The cost is about 65 pesos (60 cents US). We were happy to be down the strip a ways. The week we were there was Spring Break for a lot of places and many of the other hotels looked as though they might be party central.

In summary, the hotel is quite serene. Other people have mentioned the music. It does get a bit repetitive but it adds to the serenity of the place. It ended up being quite a joke with my husband and I but hardly an irritant. I found the pool loungers comfortable as well as the chairs on the beach. Also plentiful, as were the towels. Not like some all-inclusives/hotels where you have to sign over your first born for an extra towel. We thoroughly enjoyed the staff and their amazing service. Great people!

Hope this review helps other travellers!

Bel Air - Exactly what we wanted!

by TripAdvisor Member Ladyv2

We stayed four nights at the Bel Air (March 16-19) and enjoyed every minute. Our friends are still there, and we are very jealous! We wanted a relatively quiet, adults-only, all-inclusive hotel on the beach, with a great swimming pool, far from Party Central. And that's what we got. The staff were numerous and very helpful. Being presented with a flute of champagne upon arriving was a nice welcome. Initially we had booked a lanai room, but we changed to an ocean view room, kept the doors open most of the time, great breezes and the sound of the sea at night was fantastic. The rooms are clean and airy, the beds are to die for (someone else on Tripadvisor said they are missing the bed, and so are we!). The fridge is stocked twice daily with water, pop, juice, and beer. The bathroom is clean and shower pressure good. Food is very good - a nice selection and you can also order things that aren't on the menu. Great presentation. You can also eat at one of the tables in the pool section, where your feet are in the water - a little strange, but fun. The selection is more hanburgers and pizza, but that's fine. One day they made paella out at the pool, very tasty. As someone said, it's not for people who want a lot of activities besides sunning and swimming (although there is a spa, which we didn't use). However, you can hop the buses that come about every two minutes and go downtown or to other hotels. We also rented a car thru the hotel and went to Tulum one day. The hotel has wireless access but it's a bit variable in the room, best place is in the lobby. In sum, it was a great time, we're just sorry we had to leave so soon ( we were there for a conference at another hotel - we were really glad that we didn't stay there). I would definitely stay at the Bel Air again..

Absolutely loved it

by TripAdvisor Member UkTraveljunky

This Hotel was everything we wanted it to be. So romantic and beatifully designed it just takes your breath away. We had a room with a seaview, bed was very comfortable and the room had everything a traveller needs, even the towell robes. We haven't taken all inclusive option after reading food reviews on a tripadvisor. But we had a dinner at the hotel on our first night. The restaurant has a great view, very pleasant service, the food even though not a gourmet meal, but tasty enough to compliment overall impression.
We liked the tranquillity of the hotel, its setting, the beach (although you have to find a patch on the beach where there are no stones and undercurrents to spoil it), the service.
I would recommend it to any couple who is looking for a romantic break.

Take the Kool Launis Room for romance!

by TripAdvisor Member jmorrisBoston

We stayed at the hotel March 18-25. Let me get the negatives out of the way first:

Water pressure was horrible (in just the shower, not the hot tub), and a couple times a smell came up from the pipes in the bathroom. That was the one major complaint that we have, and what prevents me from giving the hotel a 5 rating. I think if you are looking for the perfect experience, this would detract. But it really didn't affect our stay too much, because we were using the hot tub in our room a lot more than the shower. The smell was only temporary for a couple minutes in a few of the mornings and the last day. It wasn't even enough for us to change rooms.

Everything else was positive:

great food - if you are a mexican food fanatic like me, but want that food in an all inclusive deal (and good mexican food, not just burrito buffet), this is the place for you. For the first couple days (until I figured out what I really wanted), I would ask them to whip me up something authentic mexican, not from the menu, and they would bring out wonderful dishes that could easily find their way on a gourmet mexican restaurant menu.

Decor could be described as upscale cheesy, based on our tastes. But that fits right in, in Mexico, and is highly subjective. I don't think it would feel like Mexico if it wasn't a little cheesy.

Room - The Kool Launis room, with the 2-person jacuzi tub overlooking the ocean, is incredibly romantic. I can't recommend it enough. I wasn't sure how much use we would get from the jacuzi, but we actually used it every day that we were there. It was the perfect afternoon treat after a day on the beach and to relax us before our siesta before going out at night.

Beach chairs - I love the soft (not plastic) beach chairs they provide at both the beach and the pool. Incredibly comfortable and easier to move around. Beach chairs were easy to get, even on the weekends (the "busy" time) at both the beach and pool. We really fell in love with sitting on the beach in the soft chairs under the umbrella, reading, and sipping on the different drinks that they would mix up for us (and they would make you something special any time you asked). As others say, an abundance of thick, large towels were always readily available.

Beach - they have a much larger beach area than many hotels that got hit by the hurricane. But, and this has a lot to do with the area and nothing to do with the hotel, be very careful about going in the ocean. Heed the red flags and don't go past your knees (based on the swell, not the calm). 3 people died and 4 are still missing from the 1 week we were there (this happened further down the beach though). Our daily ritual on a couple of the days involved sitting on the beach in their big soft beach chairs and watching person after person get rescued. Hats off to the Cancun lifeguards though, they were incredibly responsive and very alert the entire time we were there. As far as we could tell though, none of the rescues were from patrons of this hotel, they were coming from the hotels nearby.

Tips - Thanks to trip advisor, we knew about the tips ahead of time and it didn't bother us. It might have taken some getting used to other wise, just because we were used to tipping at the end of the trip at other all inclusives. We had a different tipping system than what the others have posted. We tipped 10% of the pesos on the bill in USD. Breakfast was usually 300-400 pesos, so we tipped $3-$4 USD (and we would indicate USD). Dinner was closer to $8-10 USD for the tip (we ate a lot!) I got the sense that this was a bit higher than most others, but to be honest, I'd rather tip better in an economy that needs it more than back in the US where a couple dollars doesn't make much of a difference. And I imagine the great service we got throughout our stay had something to do with this. If we were at a hotel that didn't take tips, we probably wouldn't have gotten this nicer service for a little extra tip, so I ended up liking the tipping thing. Our total tips at the end of the week came out at $110 USD (not including what we left in cash for the maid and a couple other people that we liked), which seems like nothing compared to the high quality of service we were getting for the entire week.

Service in general - as we said, we had great service. I have friends that were born and live in Mexico City and they are the first to tell me that service in Mexico is more laid back than in the states and Mexicans are even proud of this (they say they enjoy life more!). But I have to tell you, the service at this hotel did not fit that stereo type at all. These folks are hardworking, fast, and they even provide that extra level of service where they would make special drinks for us, or special meals not on the menu, or serving us food and drinks on the beach, and so on. And there were so many extra things that they did, such as the spanish coffee after dinner (they have a whole table they roll up and they do sort of a flaming drink show for you). Even at the more expensive all-inclusives we've stayed at, nothing came any where close to this. At the beginning of the week my wife was very impressed when she asked at the desk if they wouldn't mind cleaning the large window in our room that overlooked the beach from the jacuzzi. They smiled, wrote my room number down and had the window spotless inside/out within an hour!

All in all, other than those couple comments at the beginning of this post, this was a great all inclusive, very unique in a very good way, and we highly recommend it. The price is really quite reasonable compared to any other all-inclusive we've stayed at, so the value is by far the best we've had.

wonderful experience

by TripAdvisor Member cancunites

My husband and I arrived in Cancun on April 1st for a 4 day trip at another resort. We enjoyed our vacation at the other resort until we encountered problems with our flight at the airport going back home. To make a long story short, we had already checked out of our hotel and it was Spring break, no rooms were available at our regular resort and we ended up at the Bel Air. What a nice hotel! They knew our situation "we were basically stuck in Cancun" and they treated us very well. The hotel is very neat and I would say that it kind of has the whole "Asian - Zen" decor/theme going on. Rooms are very nice and the beds are incredibly comfortable. We only ate at the resort once and the food was fine. Since we were basically stuck in Cancun, we did not spend alot of time at the resort (we were just trying to find a way home), but they treated us excellent and we really enjoyed the serenity there. We would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a nice, peaceful, laid back vacation. Especially if you want to be treated well.

The Photos Don't Do It Justice

by TripAdvisor Member MrsDallasMatt

I always check out the Tripadvisor Member's photos and the hotel web site to get an idea of what I'm booking and I can honestly say it was
so much more beautiful in person than could be captured on film. The lobby with the slate floors and the billowing curtains are so out of this world. The pool is much, much, much larger in person and my personal "must have" infinity edge was long and overlooked a clean wide beach. Multiply towels in various color combinations were laid out every day on each pool chair by the staff to entice you to relax.

Loved the room, love the red/white theme. Nice shower and larger than
normal bathroom amenities. Never heard another person while in my room like the loud TV or the crack of dawn families who have to yak @ 7:00 am outside your room to catch a tour bus. Thank you for the age 13 and older age restriction Bel Air!

Spa was wonderful. Did a couple's message. Aromatheraphy for me and deep tissue for my husband. They were professional, knew the proper techniques for a message and a great deal money wise. Must recommend!

I do need to let yall know a few things about the hotel that you might not be aware of. For those of you who book the room with a balcony, they have no furniture on any of their balconies, I saw people take the chairs that are around the table in the room and bring them outside. The safe's are maybe 4 inches tall by 8 inches long, in other words leave the laptop at home it will never fit. I use the ATM's in Mexico when I need Peso's, the front desk had no tipping change. The smallest Bill/Peso they had was $100 peso's aka $10.00 USA dollars. No $20 peso's no $50 peso's for tipping. Oh, and for the drive you crazy zen spa music around the pool ,the staff are eager and happy to play a CD you might have brought with you. Keep in
mind think mellow music, they played a Sade and a Steely Dan CD and it fit in with the Bel Air style.

Staff couldn't be nicer, great drinks, how nice is it to have lunch in a pool at a table??? Wow. Food was good, and overall clean, clean, clean.

I hope to be back by Labor Day weekend and I rarely return to a hotel but this one was so soothing and so visually entertaining I can't wait!!

The BeachThe Beach

Beach volley ball, fun!Beach volley ball, fun!

Mayan cultural showMayan cultural show

View from the CasaMagna beach grillView from the CasaMagna beach grill

Chitchen Itza and Blue Cenote

by boltonian

Hi

Can't seem to find any info on the public bus to Chitchen Itza.

I would happily do a tour, but want to stop off at Blue Cenote and most non private tours do not do this.

I have been told to just go myself by public transport, but no idea of bust times/frequency etc.

Any help much appreciated as always

by MikeySoft

Sorry I don't have bus info. You may want to consider renting a car for a few days as I did. That way you can spend a few nights at different locations. I rented a small car and paid $145 USD plus gas for 9 days in May 2009.

by boltonian

I am only there for 3 days so it isn't too cost effective to hire a car.

by Redlats

Actually, it probably is cost effective to rent a car for three days. That is what we did. Rental was in the neighbourhood of $35US per day (350 pesos). Bus tours from the Cancun area are pretty restrictive. They leave too late, and only visit Chichen around high noon.

by MikeySoft

If you can live with a small car with manual transmission, it will be even cheaper. I rented a very small car with a manual transition. I declined CDW because my credit card covers it. The total bill (not including gas) on my credit card was $145 USD for 9 days, about $16 USD/day. Rates drop when you rent over 5 or 6 days.

There was a lot of debate on VT if my credit card CDW is valid in Mexico. Most car rentals in Mexico mandate that you pay additional CDW insurance. However, I called both the credit card and rental company (Hertz) and they said it is valid. The rental did have a deposit on my credit card for the CDW waver but I was never charge that on my card.

I later found out that someone at work did the same thing and had an accident. The rental company charged his credit card the amount for the accident but his credit card waved that charge because they have CDW as benefit of using the card.

PS
When you pick up the car, they have a form you sign about preexisting damage. I pointed out every scratch and dirt on the car. After pointing out so many things, they gave me the form to note pre-existing damage. I put a lot of marks on the diagram of the car indication scratches (really just dust because it was a newer car). I don't think that would have help if I cam back with a dent.

by Redlats

yeah, our rental car had a lot of scratches too. I took my digital camera and took pictures of each face of the car (with the rental employee in it) in lieu of trying to identify every scratch on the form.

It is true, my 350peso/day rental rate included partial collision insurance, but I figured, better to be insured both by my credit card and by the Mexico insurance, and besides for 3 days, $105 plus fuel wasn't out of line.

by brkilbourne