Casa Turquesa

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Cancún

Echo kissEcho kiss

Noa airconditioning required during the winterNoa airconditioning required during the winter

Have fun body surfing, or boogie boardingHave fun body surfing, or boogie boarding

Graffiti is allowed for touristsGraffiti is allowed for tourists

Must do in Cancun ??

by parisvedder

Hello, I have used the forum for top tips before to see the different side to tourist resorts, A few years ago I used the tips in Havana from fellow travellers and it was brilliant.

I am staying at the Royal in Cacun, would like to visit Old Cancun and various ruins,and possibly Cozumel or Isla Mujeres,and just wander about, we are happy to use public transport, is it safe too? Or we are happy to use a tour company if anyone can recommend a guide.

Many Thanks

by Dabs

I've never had any problems traveling in the Yucatan peninsula (Cancun, Riveria Maya) with regards to safety, public transport is safe to use by tourists. We stay in Playa del Carmen and take the public ferry over to Cozumel when we go, if you have a look at my PDC or Cozumel pages there's more info on how to get there and what to do there. You can purchase ferry tickets from the docks, it was $11US each way last December. There are buses that run from Cancun to PDC but someone else will have to help you with that as I've never taken one

Isla Mujeres is closer to Cancun and there is also a public ferry that goes there, you might find this link useful

To get to the old part of Cancun from the resort area, there is a public bus, your hotel should be able to tell you where to pick it up and the cost but it was very cheap.

If you want to see the ruins at Chichen Itza, I'd suggest taking an organized tour, we arrange for ours once we get there with a travel agency in PDC, the hotel can also do it although their tours tend to be a little more than booking from a local travel agencies.

If your budget isn't tight I would also recommend a company that we've used a couple of times called alltournatives, they do a daytrip to the ruins at Coba that is very nice, it's an all day trip where you get to see the ruins, visit a Mayan Village, do a zipline and canoe or kayak

by parisvedder

Thanks very much, i finish work sat so i'll have a read through everything properly before we go monday!

by JimmieT

Check out the Dubai Palace Casino

Even if you don't gamble the food is fantastic

www.cancuncasinodirectory.com

Ole'

Jimmie T

Travel Tips for Cancún

Tourist paradise

by Lady_Disdain

The Zona Hotelera is where the resorts and most hotels are located. It is an island, with the open sea on one side an inlet on the other. Although very thin (there is one road down the Zona Hotelera, and almost no side roads!), it stretches over 15kms.

The Zona Hotelera is as touristy as a place can get. It makes very few concessions to the mexican way of life. Huge hotels, expensive designer shops, souvenirs and nightclubs are its reason d'étre.

The Government Palace in downtown

by Laura_Mexico

I must say that downtown Cancun isn't the nicest place in town, except that you will find some shops and restaurants around it but that's about it... it's not a typically Mexican town where you can see nice old colonial buildings or feel a typical atmosphere at all. All you can see in the hotel zone are spectacular hotels, and when you get to downtown you will only see small houses, big supermarkets, a small square here and there... One of my visits to Cancun was right before Christmas, so we got to see the main square of Cancun (where the Government Palace is located) with the Xmas decorations, which made it look a bit nicer!

Parasail! I think almost...

by mgard27

Parasail! I think almost every beach has someone who can take you out to parasail. You go up in this seat that's like a swing (but more secure). They let you float up high and you get a great view of the beaches and the gorgeous turquoise water below. Once you're up in the air, it's so peaceful. I was lucky enough to see a big fish in the water while up there--it must have been a whopper if I could see it from 50 feet up! Sometimes the person running the boat thinks it's funny to dip you down in the water and send you back up. It didn't happen to me, but it could happen to you! If you are hung over, I would not recommend this, as it can be a choppy ride in the boat. Just ask my sister, who turned 8 shades of green on the way out and back! It might cost a lot to do this--I forget how much--but it's worth it.

Mini bar in room

by gipper84

One of the neatest things about the Moon palace rooms was the fact that they provided you with you very own mini bar in the actual room, and they filled it daily. David and I rarely used our drinks, but when we all got together in his parents room with the dining room and all we used the mini bar for a few shots of scotch which went well with our supper. I just thought I would add this, because it really adds alittle bit more to the already outstanding rooms offered at the Moon Palace, and I thought it was neat.

...Then one afternoon it...

by Lys-Noir

...Then one afternoon it started raining again - so it was back to the hotel room and shower. But it soon changed to a nasty tempest where the strong wind was throwing all sunbeds into the pool and surroundings. I didn't want to stay too close to the window in case some object should bump into it - I have never experienced such bad weather, it was extremely scary!

...I was happy to go downstair to the lobby where happy-hour meant Frozen Strawberry Margaritas and many of them - at least today they were more than welcome *grin*!!

Comments