Club Med Cancun All Inclusive

Punta Nizuc, Estado de Quintana Roo Cancun, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula, 77500, Mexico

Club Med Cancun Yucatan
clubmed.us Despegar.com

Costs 93% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Club Med: A User's Guide

I spent a week at the Club Med from 18-25 May 2008 with my 12-yr old daughter and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Club Meds are very different from other all-inclusive resorts as they place great emphasis on high quality activities and socializing. There are 3 types of people at the club: the guests, the activity staff (called GOs) and the local staff. The GOs are the soul of the club: they are mostly 20-30 year olds who run all activities, sometimes work the bar, run the kiddie clubs, eat in the buffet restaurant with guests and facilitate socializing. The GOs came from Brazil, Canada, Mexico, Israel, Belgium, Uruguay, USA, Japan, Morocco... The local staff are those who do the other jobs – room cleaning, dishwashing... Club Meds are great if you enjoy activities, meeting people or if you have kids. If you only want to lie on the beach and have intimate meals, the Club Med would be fine but you will be paying alot for activities that you don’t use – your money would be better spent elsewhere.

The Club Med is at the far southern end of the hotel strip. I heard that it was the first hotel to be built in Cancun and they got the best place in the area. The Club is on a large strip of land shaped like a “U” with the ocean on the outside and a lagoon on the inside (see www.eatonlink.net/CMcancun06/bigmap_.html ). It is a large park-like area with buildings 2-3 stories high – very different from the denser hotels elsewhere in Cancun. The way the land is shaped, waves break about 50 meters out from the swimming beach and the ocean was calm every day in front of the club, while 200 meters away at the Sun Palace the surf too rough for swimming every day we were there. The side of Cancun that has the most beautiful ocean colors is the Caribbean coast – unlike the “top of the 7” (northern beaches), but the surf there is rough -- the only place where you can swim every day is the Club Med. The view from the Club is fantastic, probably the best in all of Cancun, and the water color unreal. When we were there, there were ample comfortable seats in the shade – no need to get up early to “reserve” your chair. Their beach was also large and uncrowded compared to most other places we saw.

Farther down the shore there is a snorkelling area – the only good place to snorkel in all of Cancun – and, farther still, a sailing beach. In the lagoon you can water-ski with crocodiles – I am not making this up. We saw a 2 meter (6 ft) crocodile in the lagoon and they make you sign a waiver stating that you will not sue the Club if anything bad happens. However, they also say that, in 30 years, no one has ever been attacked by a croc – they are scared of the boat motors. As the activity staff skied there, we did too and felt safe.

The Club Med is as far from the action in Cancun as you can get. (That said, the food and drinks are excellent, and they have a very nice open air beachside night club right there – little need to venture out.) If you do want to visit Cancun, you have 2 options: taxi (fairly expensive) or bus. For the bus, you can walk out to the regular entrance to the Club Med and catch one there, but it only comes by about every half hour or so. Alternatively, you can walk up the beach to the Westin, cut through to the road – in all a 10 minute walk – and you will see a bus stop where buses leave every 5-10 minutes. Bus fare is cheap but you will need pesos. Myself, I did not care much for Cancun – it struck me as being an artificial creation made for tourists – a wall of multistory mostly soulless resorts, with a few interspaced suburban-style malls and, farther away, an uninteresting fairly recent town. If we go back, it will be for the beauty of the sea and for the Club Med; otherwise there are many nicer places to visit in Mexico.

If you get bored at the Club Med, then there is something wrong with you. Organized activities targeting different ages of children (and adults) include: sailing, water-skiing, trapeze, tennis, soccer, beach volleyball, water aerobics, Pilates, salsa lessons, Yoga, etc. And, if that is not enough, there is swimming in the gorgeous ocean, very good live music almost every evening (one group reminded me of the Gypsy Kings; others were a Cuban band, a Mariachi band, and an old rock band), a very nice spa (extra $), several half-day or day outings (extra $), shows every night and the night club afterwards. Their trapeze setup is professional quality and run by a mostly Brazilian set of gymnasts. We saw two trapeze shows, one with a visiting gymnast who worked before for the Cirque du Soleil and is one of six people in the world who can do triple flips - real neat. My daughter loved learning to sail, water-ski, improve her trapeze moves and seeing the spectacular trapeze shows, hanging out at the Car Wash (adolescent kids’ club; there is another club for younger kids) or the pool and eating with friends; I played in a doubles tennis tournament, did water aerobics, laid out on some neat canapé beds by the pool, frolicked in the water, had abit too much to drink, enjoyed the early evening music and eating dinner with new friends. Of note: while this club caters to families, its large size and range of activities means that adults don't feel encumbered – couples without kids too can enjoy themselves (I met many in this situation).

The main buffet restaurant has 6 different dining rooms with very different décor, and two a la carte restaurants (Tapas and Mexican). Compared to other all inclusive resorts, Club Meds excel in terms of food. The buffet had a lot of choices, changed significantly from day to day (and from lunch to dinner), and the desserts especially were excellent. The food had a strong French flavour, although there were too a good deal of Mexican, Italian and Japanese dishes. Most people with whom I talked thought the food to be outstanding; one couple said it was better than a 5-star Iberostar that they had recently visited.

That said, we are fairly strict vegetarians and this is the one Club Med out of four we have visited where we have had trouble eating (dinners only; breakfasts and lunches were great). The Cancun club in the evening tended to overemphasize meat and fish, even in the composed salad dishes and often pastas, really limiting our choices. We spoke to the chef and then to the reception and, after several days of poor food, things got better. What I am trying to say is 1) if you love meat or fish, you will be thrilled, 2) if you have dietary restrictions the Club Meds are usually great places to go to, 3) this is less true of the Cancun Club Med than other Club Meds we know and 4) if you do have special needs then fax them ahead of time to warn them and politely ask for their help, and if things don’t work out, rapidly go talk with the cook (and then if necessary, insistently with the reception staff). Hopefully, after being badgered by us, the head cook may be more open to handling special diets in the future…

Drinks. Like other all-inclusive resorts, the free house wine is fairly basic and there are better bottles for sale. The top shelf booze required paying extra but their regular stuff was already very good. For real good coffee, go to the main bar – their espressos and café au laits easily rival a Starbucks in quality.

There are several types of rooms – the regular (Yucatan) one we had, deluxe rooms, and concierge suites in the Jade building. The regular rooms are not ocean front, but ours directly overlooked the lagoon and we saw beautiful sunsets every evening. The deluxe rooms in the other buildings are slightly larger or come with an ocean view. From what I have heard, the best rooms are in the Jade building but only on the ocean side – it is not worth paying extra for rooms on the other side.

You can request a certain room type by faxing the Club 7-10 days prior to your arrival – they are good at meeting requests (check their website for the fax number). However, they do not give free upgrades. Unless you are handicapped or have a stroller, avoid the ground-floor rooms which are less private and noisier. Buildings with rooms are all 2-3 stories high – if you don’t mind stairs the best are on the third floor. Buildings A, B and C (Amatista, Obsidiana, and Topacio) are lbetween the main area (pool, restaurants, bar…) and the trapeze/water-skiing and miniclub area for younger kids. Building D (Turquesa) is near the main area and apparently tends to be noisy. We were in building E (Granate) – a good choice. Buildings F (Onice), G (Ambar) and H (Opalo) are abit farther away, between the main area and the tennis/sailing areas. The Jade building is the farthest away and has the best ocean front suites.

This club was completely renovated a couple yrs ago and the rooms are stylish – strong colors, comfortable beds, a stylish shower area, and a sttriking bright deep pink toilet area. There are flat screen TVs and we had a free cable internet hook-up, a safe, a coffee/tea maker and a minifridge at no extra cost. All rooms have either a balcony or terrace. This club used to cater to couples and, for that reason the rooms tend to be small. You could fit three people into a room but it would be tight; I believe that if you are a family of four, then Club will provide you with another adjoining room.

To resume, I’d rate this Club at a 5-star level:
    • 8 stars for the activities: nowhere else comes close
    • 4.5 stars for the room: much stylish than a Hilton, but the rooms are fairly small
    • 2 - 5 stars for food & drink: 5 * for breakfasts and lunches, 5* for dinner if you are a consummate carnivore and 2 * if you are vegetarian and dislike having to talk insistently to the chef to get decent food
    • 6 stars for fun and the ease of socializing (again, the Club Med excels here)
    • 6 stars for the beach
    • 4 stars for the pool: very nice, but probably crowded when the resort is full
    • 5 stars for the front desk

In Cancun, I would not consider staying anywhere else. Tom

Unique Quality: Best activities of any resort in the Yucatan. The international activity staff - about 80 people aged around 20-30 from 20 countries (Canada, Mexico, Brazil, USA, France...) are great - the heart and soul of the place. Music, food, drinks all is very good. Best beach on the Caribbean coast of Mexico

• TXgal's Profile Photo

Club Med

This is the first Club Med property I have stayed at and we had a great time. Friendly staff, good food and lots of space to relax!

Unique Quality: The staff are always entertaining the guests w/ stage shows, theme nights and coordinating volleyball and other team sports. There is also a coral reef just off the beach so you can swim out and snorkel :-)

• jennijeans's Profile Photo

Club Med

I was a guest teacher for one week at the Club Med Salsa Extravangza and it was amazing!! I have been in all inclusive hotels before but for single people this is the best!! and the food is amazing!!! It was the craziest trip I ever took and I partied partied partied!!! If you are looking to party this is the place and the snorkling is just offshore and it is also the best snorkling I have seen.
    It may be a little bit more expensive but I think it is worth it. Plus the people you meet there are doctors, lawyers, professional people.

Unique Quality: food was great! snorkling, entertainment, and met alot of great people!! Never partied so much!!! The foam party was the best!!

Directions: on the beach

• freespirit13's Profile Photo

How Typical!

Club Med Cancun is really nice, it's not too overwhelming with it's little 2 story buildings. Also, Club Med owns the entire end of the Cancun strip so there is a lot of room, 2 beaches, snorkeling at the second largest coral reef in the world, windsurfing, kayaking, waterskiing, beach and hard volleyball courts, 2 restaurants, 3 bars, a disco...

Unique Quality: The greatest thing about the location is the fact that you have water all around you, there's the Gulf of mexico on one side and the Lagoon on the other. Just remember not to get a room near the lagoon cause it smells funky around there.

More about Club Med Cancun All Inclusive

"Relax, refresh, rejuvnate"

by sheherezad about Club Med

Will edit later - Or the Club Med in Cancun - at the end of the strip? The water is beautiful! Club Med always promises great food! from there you can take excursions to Chichenitza etc. I did that a long time ago before the hotel strip mushroomed!

I stayed at the Club Med,...

by jessicadf

I stayed at the Club Med, which was in the final stages of a major remodel. It was my first time at a Club Med, so I didn't exactly know what to expect. All I can say is -- yeah! It was a LOT of fun. I met lots of people, right away, some of which I'm still in touch with to this day.

Of course, Club Med is an all-inclusive, so meals are included with the room. The total price was, after taxes and extras, ~$1400 for one week. Considering that included the airfare, that wasn't too bad a deal.

Never again - Club Med

Yech - spent a week here - what a mistake with so many good hotels in Cancun and the Riviera Maya.

Great beach - great snorkeling area - that is it on the plus side.

Hey guys, the lagoon has alligators - a big one lives on the stairs below the rooms - tour guides with Cancun companies take their clients to see the alligators at Club Med. Not sure why Club Med organizes water skiing here. I found it amusing.

Food - God awful buffets of low quality and large quantities.

Staff - Guests have to eat with the staff and the staff complain about how much they hate Club Med and how the Cancun hotel is one of the worst for the staff. The guests then complain how much they hate the hotel too and once the staff leave, the guests complain to each other how much they hate the staff. The local staff are good and helpful. The expatriates are dim witted with zero client service interest.

Location - far end of Cancun so a hike to leave and do anything else.

Guests - mixed - young, old, singles, couples, Mexican, U.S., European - no issue there.

Rooms - when I arrived my toilet was leaking and water already reached the bed. No one came for hours. The front desk could not care. I was finally sent towels - not a repairperson - to block the stream of water. The next morning, I had to use the public toilet at the restaurant and by the next afternoon - 20 hours later, it was fixed.

Management - I wrote a letter to the Paris based CEO of Club Med outlining my perceptions. I received a form letter back saying that my letter was sent to Club Med in New York. NY sent me a form letter back saying my letter was sent to Mexico City. Never did hear from Mexico City. Dump the stock if this is how a letter to the CEO is mishandled. Not even the courtesy of a reply. No wonder why Club Med's financial picture is so bad.

Great Value at Club Med

Club Med is great value for those that want to experience sports and other activities. The GOs are tremendous and work very hard to make your experience enjoyable. There is sailing, cayaking, water skiing, snorkeling, scuba, and many other activities. The pool is very warm and so are the beaches. The water is very salty, but pretty. They also have a circus trapeze for those who want to swing, tuck and do fly aways. Don't worry, as there are instructors and a safety harnesses. Hendel is the general manager of the property and his team is fabulous. The GOs work 6 days a week and there is no time-off for them. Some of the buildings have weak airconditioning systems. Try to avoid the Gran Mona building. Also, lookout for the alligator in the lagoon. He comes out during the evening and hangs out between the boutique and the gym buildings. If you want to go into the hotel zone area where there is a flea market and other dining and discos, you can take a cab for about $12 to $15 oneway or take a short 7 min walk to the Westin Regina (next door) and take a bus outside on the main boulevard for 60 cents oneway.

Club Med Honeymoon: Not exactly what we expected.

We just returned from our honemoon at Club Med, Cancun. Our expectations were not exactly met with our Club Med stay. Prior to staying at Club Med, I really thought that Club Med was the type of resort to pamper their guests. That really isn't the case, so if you don't expect that, you may not be disappointed.

When we arrived, Stephanie at the front desk seemed a bit annoyed that we wanted to check in. I tried to make conversation with her as she clearly spoke English and I asked her where she is from. Her reply was, "Everywhere." She obviously didn't feel like making friendly conversation. Our room was not ready when we arrived and we were told to go eat and to come back. When we came back, a different gentleman was at the desk and he called housekeeping to make them aware that we were there and ready to check in. We didn't understand why Stephanie didn't do this in the first place -- maybe then our room would have been ready when we finished eating.

Our room was fine. There was no mold smell in the room and the bed was comfortable. We did receive a "Welcome honemooners" package that consisted of two bottles of water, a paper doily, and a corn husk doll. We never did figure that one out -- a fruit basket may have made more sense -- or even a bottle of wine with two wine glasses, heck the alcohol is free!

Now, Club Med offers quite a bit included with your accommodations. The trouble is, they offer no information what so ever. I highly recommend that you attend the info tour and ASK QUESTIONS!! The staff is not overly friendly and they are not forthcoming with information. Juan helped us with excursion packages, but did not give us complete information either. And he, like Stephanie, seemed a bit "put off" that we were wanting to purchase excursions.

The cleaning staff was very friendly, the bartenders were great -- Whitney was very nice and poured a great vodka tonic. I think most of our frustration was with the front desk and the excursion staff.

We learned most of our information from other guests. That is certainly one benefit of the communal seating style in the restaurant. Almost all of the other guests we met were very friendly and had encountered similar situations with the staff, so they were very forthcoming with information regarding their experiences.

We found that they were very generous with the alcohol. The drinks were very strong and the beer was cold. The food in the restaurant was mediocre. The buffet gets old after a while, but I found the breakfasts and lunches were consistently good. The dinners always took on a theme -- such as Italian, Asian, etc. Don't be fooled by what looks like sushi, it is awful! You would be better off to go to Cancun and get delicious sushi! But the Mexican food was quite good -- especially the tamales -- yummy! One huge recommendation -- the chocolate ice cream (and the vanilla and strawberry) is WONDERFUl -- the other desserts look great, but do not compare to the ice cream! I am going through ice cream withdrawals already, I have never had anything that compares!! The chocolate bread is the second best dessert! It is amazing!

I wish the employees were more friendly. Really, I think that helpful friendly attitudes would have made up for all that the resort lacked. It was our honeymoon, so nothing was going to rain on our parade. We made the best of the situation!

Cancun - Club Med

by SweetestAngel410

"Cancun at Club Med"

My then boyfriend, now husband, and I went to Club Med at Cancun In October 2003. Although we had a few cloudy days and some nights of rain, we also had plenty of sun.

At Club Med they have packages that you can purchase to take excursions outside of the club. We took two while we were there.

They have all day snorkling as well as windsurfing. While we were there they had shut down the water skiing, but had added some water trampolines and a water climbing wall. ..

More to come

They have nightly entertainment, including a foam party.

La Palapa  - Club Med, CancunLa Palapa - Club Med, Cancun

Club Med ThriathlonClub Med Thriathlon

Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula, MexicoCancun, Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico

by Jewelie

How is Club Med? I will be going to cancun for my honeymoon, and I want to stay at the nicest hotel in Cancun. What do you think?

Thanks, Jewelie

by Sharrie

As far as I know, nicest hotel in Cancun is Ritz-Carlton.

Here's the URL: http://www.ritzcarlton.com/resorts/cancun/

by YVRDave

Have a look here too.

by Seabiscuit

I was at CM in Cancun a few years ago with my Dad (I was choice #2, but what the hell, it was free). It's a beautiful resort, and if you go, be sure to do the sailing course (great fun), and the snorkeling trip (amazing). I'm not a big fan of Club Med (again, it was free) but those CM Employees work their butts off making sure each guest has a great time. I think the ratio of GO's to Guests is like 1:9... (an aside, my Dad taught Diving to the "older" set - 70+ - for Club Meds all over the place. Now I'm beginning to think I was just there for the conversation!) (LOL!!!!)
Jeff-

Re: Club Med

by judee29

Stayed in Cancun Club med a few years ago and had an absolute BLAST! Great location with a large stretch of beaches on two shores, lots of activities and a lagoon to waterski. If u like Club Meds, this is a great one. HAve fun!

• Oct 17, 2013 at 6:18 AM

BE CAREFUL !!!!
    We left two weeks in July, 2013 - We were broken in our room(chamber)
    The thieves passed by the door make windows.
    They flew from valuables and from objects without any value.
    We were has the police of Cancún to lodge a complaint.
    We made mail for the insurance(assurance) of the Club Med.
    We wrote to the service(department) customer relations of the Club Med.
    ZERO answer COMPENSATION: nothing.
    We paid more than 3 000 EUROS A PERSON(BY NOBODY) AND A WEEK - I leave you judge.
    Furthermore, no laughter, no atmosphere in this club med.
    We are bored.