Desire Resort And Spa
- Secrets The Vine Cancun Resort & Spa
- Punta Cancun
- Lahia Condominiums
- Porto Fino Bay View Grand
- Royal Sands
Desire Resort for those free-spirits at heart
The Desire Resort & Spa is a full-service, all-inclusive resort that is remotely-located on a beautiful section of beach outside the town of Puerto Morelos, about 25 minutes south of the Cancun airport & about 40 minutes from Cancun's Hotel Zone. It is for adult couples only & is clothing optional only in portions of the property.
I went to this resort based on the recommendations of others & I was a bit apprehensive both about the high praise & nature of the resort.
Well, any concerns I had quickly vanished as I was welcomed by friendly bellmen, escorted to the reception area and there the staff made me feel like I was a old friend returning from a long journey. I was offered champagne as a welcome drink & after a quick check-in, placement of an identification band on my wrist, I was free to check the property until my room, #1012, was ready.
The room was centrally located & had an outstanding view of the Caribbean and pool area. All the facilities were clean & amenities provided were exceptional. Being an all-inclusive, my refrigerator was stocked daily with water, beer & sodas. Room service was available 24/7 and prompt.
The open air lobby bar was open 24/7, the poolside grill would cook to order (as did the indoors breakfast buffet), there were poolside games, beach volleyball, complimentary kayaks & hobie cats, & the resort had a jewelry-gift store and internet access. There was never a dull moment if you wanted it that way.
Some notes about Desire. The water is purified on property but most people still used bottled water to
brush their teeth, etc. The resort is NOT a nudist resort. Clothing, and preferably dressy clothing, is requested for the dinner restaurants.
Desire is opening its second resort November 1, 2006 in Cabo San Lucas, Baja California, Mexico.
Unique Quality: THE TRAVEL SLUT TIPS FOR DESIRE RESORT
1. Request central/oceanfront units (even #'s face the sea)
2. Bring your own pool "noodle or float"
3. At check-in, request that your identification bracelet be placed on an ankle for comfort & aesthetics.
4. After room service, immediately remove dishes/ trays as ants can magically appear very fast.
5. Check daily schedules for times when live bands are playing @ the lobby bar and which restaurants are
closed for the day
6. Be sure to try Suki, the Asian-Oriental cuisine restaurant as I had the best Thai shrimp ever & both
presentation & flavors of all dishes were 5-star. No reservations are required for any restaurant.
7. Every day @ 4 PM there is a guided tour of the property. Inquire @ the front desk.
8. Don't hesitate to ask any question of the staff. The front desk is open 24/7 & I found the them all to be
warm & cordial, accomodating & helpful, & everyone, without exception, made me feel special.
9. Consider bringing certain items from home including plenty of sunscreen, ziplock bags,(for keeping
items dry), normal 1st aid items including Imodium or Pepto-Bismol, band-aids, aspirin/Tylenol, &
bug spray. I didn't experience, nor did I hear of anyone complaining about needing these items due
to food or water, but the possibility always exists.
10. Bring theme night apparel as fun is based on participation by many.
As for outstanding characteristics, the International and Asian cuisine restaurants are top quality. The pool area and the spa & fitness center are also first rate. The beach is hard to top as the sand has been replaced since Hurricane Wilma and is a perfect match for the aqua-colored water.
If there was any one aspect of my stay that I would say stood out among all others it was the great employees of Desire. Without exception, they were no less than wonderful and comparable to 5-star cruiseship staff.
Directions: South of the Cancun airport and north of Playa Del Carmen in the little town of Puerto Morelos, Desire is situated beachside about 2 miles from the highway and two security gates must be passed to reach it.
Cancún Travel Forum
Need advice about Cancún, Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Cancún and ask our Answer Gurus.