Dos Playas Hotel
We stayed at the hotel on the first night on arriving to mexico.
I can't really comment on the other amenities of the hotel, but
the room was not so good.
It had a mold scent and the A/C unit was quite outdated (not
uncommon in Mexico, though) that meant noisy and not so good
at keeping the temperature of the room even.
The bathroom also looked ugly, while i can't say it was really dirty.
The shower/wc room had no air source, and that was not good,
to say the least.
This is a Hotel i would not recommend.
Unique Quality: The guarded parking lot.
Better than expected - good, with some issues.
Based on many of the 'horror story' Internet reviews I read just before leaving on my 7-day honeymoon over Christmas and New Year's 2004, I was expecting Dos Playas to be a roach-infested, falling-down horrible excuse for a facility.
Rest assured, this is *not* the case.
The room we had was in 'A' building, overlooking the edge of Playa Tortugas and Fat Tuesday. It had not been renovated, but was clean and and in good order. The ground floor was under renovation when we arrived. The room AC worked well. The washroom was in order, and the toilet worked for the most part. We rented a safety deposit box at reception for our return tickets, passports and money.
The food at Las Guacamayas buffet restaurant was simple yet flavourful. I have a sensitive stomach and cannot eat many foods here in Canada, but nothing made me ill at the hotel.
We paid little notice to the entertainment at poolside, as we did many day trips. Organized exercise, pool volleyball and chess were among the daily activities. Pub crawl trips were organized nightly.
We had no problems with being robbed or treated poorly by the staff. In fact, the staff went out of their way to be helpful whenever they could.
The issues we had were minor:
- the room phone wasn't working, likely due to the renovations on the ground floor (there were pay phones on site, however)
- the toilet would occasionally not completely flush, but the bits would go after a few flushes - no overflow problems
- the balcony door latch was a bit wonky, it took us a few minutes to get it to lock and unlock, but once it was locked it would stay that way
- the cable TV only had 11-12 working channels for the first few days (still, there were few English channels, but that was fine)
- they ran out of house wine and it took a few days to get some more - they still had beer and mixed drinks
- some nights when dinner was moved next door, no signs were posted - the bar staff would direct you, of course.
Overall, it is a comfortable, clean place to spend a vacation!
Unique Quality: - great view and access to Playa Tortugas
- good buffet
- friendly staff
Hotel Dos Playas Tips
Don't leave expensive jewellry in your room.
Don't ask for an oceanview room because you will be too close to the noise from Fat Tuesdays.
DON'T GET HUSSLED BY THE LOCALS LIKE WE DID.
Unique Quality: Great RESTAURANT staff. Front desk staff are NOT helpful.
I stayed 2 nights at the 2-Star-Hotel Dos Playas. This hotel is not on the main beach. But it is very good situated, if you want more than just beach.
It is directly on two little beaches and not too far from the city centre, which can easily reached by bus. The hotels on the long white sandy beach are usually more expensive.
Unique Quality: This is a photo of the hotel El Pueblito. I am not shure, whether it still has this name. It is a very nice 3-star-hotel.
- Secrets The Vine Cancun Resort & Spa
- Punta Cancun
- Lahia Condominiums
- Porto Fino Bay View Grand
- Royal Sands
Cancún Travel Forum
Need advice about Cancún, Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Cancún and ask our Answer Gurus.