Boulevard Kukulkan Lote 59 2 Etap, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula, 77500, Mexico

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 37% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about GR Solaris Cancun

The Best Vacation Ever

My family and I just got back from the GR Solaris Cancun and it was the best trip ever. The food was great, the entertainment was excellent. The rooms were very clean. Never a dull moment at this place.

All employees of the hotel were very polite and were always willing to help. We never had a problem with the food-getting sick, even my kids who are 10&8 and are very picky eaters didn't have a problem getting enough to eat and we all enjoyed every bit of it.

We go to Cancun every year and by far this is the best hotel we have stayed at all around. We will definately go back and recommend this hotel to anyone.

It was with no doubt the absolute best vacation!!!

What a resort

by TripAdvisor Member ricky79

First of all, it was my second time in Cancun, the first time I stayed at the Oasis Cancun and loved it, I said no way I am going to another hotel. When I went back to Cancun on Feb 18th, the hotel we booked was Gr Solaris Cancun since the other 1 was booked. Let me say this about this place, it was wonderful, the staff was so nice with us, I dont even have 1 complaint. Everynight we went to the restaurant, the waiters would recognize us and be so nice with us, the food at the restaurants a la carte was amazing.
The entertainment staff at the pool was wonderful. I want to go back in 2 months it was so great. I can't believe any bad reviews this hotel would get, as I dont have 1 complaint directed at this resort. I understand the people that get overbooked are frustrated, but sometimes the hotel is not to blame for that.
We were there for spring break, and we had a blast, the entertainment staff at the pool would go out to clubs at night with the guests that wanted to go. Amazing hotel, I can say again this time with certainty that my next time in Cancun has to be at the Gr Solaris.

Unbelievable experience

We just got back from the GR Solaris, Cancun last night. This morning we want to go back. I was shocked by some of the negative reviews about this hotel. I guess there are just some people in this world who love to complain - they'll get to heaven and complain it's too white! Anyway back to the hotel - stunning in a word. Everything about it is fabulous - you can get anything you want anytime you want. A sandwich at 3am....no problem just call room service.

The pools and facilities are amazing, very friendly staff....they really go out of their way to make sure you have a good time.....they put Americans to shame really....especially the aforementioned complainers! :)

The food was always good....not great.....but you never went hungry, and that's what counts. The drinks were great and flowing freely. Bartenders are very cool...take some time and talk to them....they always remember you.

The room was very nice, always very clean, fridge always stocked with beer, soda and water. You could even watch TV (although not sure why you would want to), too much to do.

I would recommend doing some of the tours (swimming with dolphins, horseback riding, ATVs) You can purchase these from the hotel....fairly inexpensive. Much better to book tours from the hotel than online..... Priceline will send you a million miles from your hotel with no transportation.

This hotel is highly recommended - We will go back...soon.

Wonderful 4 days at the Grand Solaris!

by TripAdvisor Member fryzzle

My husband and myself along with 3 other couples spent 4 glorious days at the GR Solaris. Our reservations were for the Royal Solaris which is a few hotels to the south. However when we arrived we were asked if we wouldn't prefer staying at their new hotel which was an upgrade and shared all amenities witht the Royal. We decided to take a chance and we were so glad we did! We were immediately shuttled up the road after being served drinks. The GR Solaris is beautiful! When you first enter the soaring lobby with its gleaming tile floors and impressive view of the turquoise Carribean beyond, you feel like you've entered another world. The staff was so friendly and professional. Our rooms were not ready yet (it was about 1:00) and they tried to get them as close together as possible. We decided to have lunch at the beachside dining area which is HUGE with a grass roof and open on all sides. From there you can look out at the ocean, see the entire pool area and is very convenient to the hotel. The food there each day was a wonderful variety and we always found something we liked. If you're not happy there you can visit the snack shop for scrumptous hamburgers, hot dogs, nachos, fries, and yummy little corn cakes. All of the waiters were very attentive and friendly. We also ate dinner at the Marco Polo where there was usually a wait for a table and the Ballroom which offered a large buffet each night. The pool area was so relaxing and well maintained. Although the beach is very shallow, we never minded because we could sit and relax at the pool and still enjoy the ocean. The swim up bar was a real treat! The music was not too loud and a nice mix of Spanish and American. We only saw one show, a Broadway Review, but the talent was very impressive. Our only complaint was the coffee. It never tasted like brewed, more like instant. The rooms were immaculate with ceramic tile throughout. We stayed on the side where we had view of the ocean and the lagoon. We would definitely stay here again and would recommend the GR Solaris to others!

Wonderful time -wish we were still there

by TripAdvisor Member SI_Mark

My wife and I and our 2 nieces (18 & 13) came back from the GR Solaris this past Saturday. We were there from 2/19 - 2/26. We had a great time, and the hotel was very nice, with only two minor grumbles (not even complaint level).

When we arrived we discovered that the request for connecting rooms had not been met. When I asked about that they informed me to come back the next morning and they would see what they could do. After the first night we decided to just stay where we were - it gave everyone a little privacy. The other grumble is the hotel experienced some rolling brown outs a couple of times. It was kind of funny to be sitting at the restaurant to have the lights go out, only to have them come on again a few minutes later. Good thing the tables had candles on them. Actually it was not that bad- everyone just laughed, had another drink and went on with whatever they were doing. Considering the hotel is only 2 months old, they are having some growing pains.

The service was phenominal! Everyone from the waiters bringing breakfast to your room, to the people maintaing the grounds were so friendly. It was nice to have live performers every night in the hotel lobby bar. They even knew our "obscure" wedding song! As members in both Cabo and at Royal Solaris we were used to the entertainment staff doubling as the evening performers. Not at GR. Here they have a decent dedicated group of dancers and performers. Definitely a step up.

All in all my family and I loved it! We are trying to plan going back with the rest of the family, but probably not till next year. For anyone having any doubts, I would heartily recommend the Gr Solaris and their staff.

Faaabulous place!

Just got back from GR Solaris (24 Feb- 03 Mar). Don't be concerned about going to Cancun's newest hotel. Top notch in every respect, and I've been to many different hotels in several countries. Super clean, great food selection and quality. The staff was great and the location is wonderful. Far enough from downtown to be quiet, yet only a quick bus ride to the clubs and shopping. The only drawback was our room didn't have a bath tub. We are a family with a small child and it was a necessity. I purposely chose this hotel for all the amenities but they said it was 'extra'. Please confirm ahead for this type of thing. There is a heated pool which is great for late swimming after a day of touring, as the beach winds can be 'chilly'. There is also an outdoor jacuzzi, with not so strong jets, but they are OK. There is a division between the noisy pool and the quiet pool, which you can't always find. This was a very pleasant stay, although we didn't like Cancun in general. It is too commercial and didn't feel like we were in Mexico. Changeable weather, everyone with their hands out for a tip or 'gratuity' and some poorly organized tours made it a so-so destination. Chavez Tours had us arriving at Chichen Itza at 12 noon, the blistering hotest part of the day. NOT a great plan as it was 45 degrees celsius with the humidity, and not much shade at CI...

okay but some problems

Just returned from spending seven days (Feb 19 thru Feb 26th) at the GRAND SOLARIS, CANCUN MEXICO.

We found our trip to be "OK". However our complaints were MINOR compared to the horror stories we heard.

We found,

1) the Hotel grounds were beautiful, and food, delicous.

2) the outdoor staff could NOT do enough for you. They were wonderful.

3) the management personnel totally ignored our complaints.

A) Every twenty-minutes the A/C would "RUMBLE" for about 3-5 seconds waking you, if you were capable of falling asleep. The sound was similar to an air-lock in the pipes. During our stay this could not, or was not corrected. Other guests complained of the same thing. It is probably not something that can be fixed easily.

B) The interior room refrigerator compressors were loud when activating itself. Other guests complained of the same thing.

C) Rumors had it the hotel overbooked by 200 plus rooms. Guests complained of being shipped out to an inferior hotel for their stay with an open invitation to return to the GR SOLARIS for food & entertainment.
I was told the guest had to supply the transortation to and from. (Bus, Taxi, walking)

D) No evidence of OWNERS having any additional benefits vs. guests. After negotiating a 1:30pm departure for a 6pm return flight, neighboring guests were permitted to vacate at 4pm.

E) We requested US currency exchange of two 10's for a twenty. The desk clerk advised he couldn't do it. Minutes later the employee requested 2- 10'S for the twenty and happily received it. When we confronted the desk clerk we were told to email the management if we were dissatisfied with the service.

F) Ocean front rooms were provided to guests when we were provided an Ocean view. The room was nice but in my opinion owners should be given room priorities.

G) No designated lines or speedy check-in-out for owners. Must go through the long and dragged out checking in-process after having been dropped off incorrectly at the ROYAL SOLARIS and not the GRAND SOLARIS.

fair to partly cloudy

by TripAdvisor Member otis2

just returned from a vacation on 2-6-05 to 2-13-05. I want to first say that i am spoiled by going to jamacia 8 times and staying a 5 and 6 gold apple resorts. this was my first trip to mexico. we went on the apple vacation 5 square deal which ment we didn't know where we were staying in cacun but we did know is would be a 5 apple ot better. We ended up staying at the GR Solaris. When i walked in the lobby i looked around and said "okay i'm impressed." It was beautiful. I knew it was new and it wasn't under construction from what i could see. it was stunning. Yes there was pounding at the building next store but... so what. The Marco Polo resturant was wonderful. The staff treated you beautifully AND you didn't have to make reservations. i liked that bec/ i never wanted to plan when i had to eat... :) it depended on my mood. the service in the other resturants was fair...what i mean by this......is they were stand offish and wouldn't pay any attention to you. but.... if you gave them a couple a bucks they were wonderful. I wasn't used to that. ..AT ALL...In Jamacia we tipped but when i wanted to and more disscretly. At the GR it was constant. don't get me wrong it wasn't as though they begged bec/ they didn't .It's just that a tip was expected if you needed anything. Room services was fine IF you tipped. i didn't like the expectation. Believe me i'm not cheap. i tip and i tip well but.....i like to tip when i want to not when i have too. The food was okay and i didn't get sick. the last nite was surf and turf and it was cold . that was a bummer. but overall the food was great. The beach was a little washed out and is beginning to come back since IVAN but overall it was very nice. The ocean was awesome. It was VERY windy while we were there and in turn the ocean was fun to swim in.

the only down fall was the rooms. For some reason they have ajoinning doors to each room except the corner rooms. We had a room with the ajoining door and well........... i could hear every last word and movement from that room. I heard sounds i didn't want to hear... :) Again if you wanted your room clean and minibar stocked daily you needed to tip in order to have it done well. Another bummer for me was that i drink vodka and orange juice and the orange they had at the bars was out of a gun and it was carbonated... yuk. when i asked for fresh sqeezed and got fter i paid 7 dollars it was fun.

Can't believe the bad reviews

We just came back from 6 nights at the GR Solaris- Feb. 13-19, and I really can't believe the terrible reviews. We are 3 couples in our late 50's and have traveled quite a bit, this was our third time in Cancun, first at an all inclusive in Cancun. We all thought is was one of the best vacations we've had. The hotel itself was beautiful, lobby, rooms, pools and immaculate, you never went anywhere without seeing someone cleaning. When I got back I read 3 reviews and thought we must have stayed at a different place. Let me give you our takes on the resort.

Check-in- We arrived around 1:00 pm and given our rooms immediately, two were in the process of being cleaned and one was ready. Our room had a connecting door and after reading about all the noise between the rooms, I went to the front desk to try to change my room, there wasn't one available that day, they said to come back next morning at 11:00 am. I did, saw the room they were going to give me and deceided to stay put. We honestly never heard a peep from the other room, and I know people were in it, so that destroys that myth. One other couple also had adjoining rooms and they never heard anything either. The rooms were always cleaned very good, the fridge restocked with water and beer when needed, with or without tipping. We didn't see our maid until the trird day to hand her a few dollars, so I don't think tipping was an issue for cleanliness.

Bars and Food- We all thought the food was very good, granted by day 6 everything gets a little old, but it does on a cruise or any all inclusive after a few days. There was always a variety and the sit downs at Marco Polo or the Rosemarius Restaurant outside were very good. The bartenders were great, made good drinks, would put as much or little booze in as you wanted. We got wrecked a couple of days by ordering double-doulbles!! Of course you tip, wouldn't you tip in America? We never found that anyone expected it, but if you did of course you would be remembered and why not? Perfetto the pool waiter was wonderful, he would just keep bringing us rounds. We went to an all inclusive in the Dominican, now that was the worst we've ever been to, lousy food, service, drinks, people, etc, never again.

Entertainment- We sat right in front of the pool entertainment group, they were a great group of kids ( anyone younger than us are kids). Lili, Ivan, Mackenzie, Choecho, Maylana- they got you going if you wanted to, and didn't bother you if you didn't want to. We had a lot of fun with them, there was always something to do- or not. We had the male and female guests of the week from our group,so we did participate quite a bit. The shows at night were good, I would put them on a par with cruise shows, not too long about 1 hour, so just enough for a change of pace.

Really I don't know what people expect at a place like this, no it's not the Ritz, but you didn't pay Ritz prices, if you want fun in the sun at a reasonable price this is the place, we all would DEFINITELY go back!!

excellent value

Grand Royal Solaris Cancun,Mexico Feb.12.05 to Feb.19/05 for 1 week.This premier all inclusive 5 star hotel and spa is brand new and has only been open 6-7 weeks and has some growing pains. My husband Rolf and I(Lynn) are Canadians and have been married 33 years. Although it was my second trip to Cancun, it was my husband first to Cancun. Cancun is a very busy place and never lacks for things to do.
Airport- If possible avoid travel on the weekend to Cancun, on the Sat. we arrived Cancun airport processed 20,000 people threw their airport. Customs and Immigrations was a 1½ hour wait. Twelve planes arrived the same time and people were lined upstairs and all over downstairs to clear immigration. At one point that Sat. 20 planes arrived at the same time. I guess this is normal for Cancun airport. In 2005 they are building a new airport south of Tulum to fix this problem. Ignore all people in airport offering maps etc. as they are timeshare. Pick up shuttle taxi for $9 per person outside baggage door.
Check in and Rooms- Check in was simple but they take you into another room and ask you questions and avoid this for another day as they are actually timeshare. We did get two free tours which were excellent out of this. The hotel is L-shaped with the inside L facing the pool/ocean. The short outside L faces the lagoon and street which has buses running up and down 4 lane road there. The long side of the L faces another hotel so you are left looking at a solid wall for a view. Lots of people trying to change room to ocean view which they seem to want $30 a day as they considered this a up-graded room. We did have an ocean view room with no additional charge but it was an adjoining room 8434.
Hotel - The hotel is very upscale in general was super and very grand with lots of marble and has only been open 6-7 weeks. Halls in hotel could be more impressive. Very well kept, clean but could be more organized. The staff was lacking in information but most spoke English very well. This is a small complex with lots of concrete and no shade or gardens. They were very few children at this resort. They have a free internet room with two computers next to the theater and beside the washroom near the front lobby.
Pools - These were super. Very uniquely designed with a swim-up bar, chairs are at a shortage and not enough to go around and no shade. The entertainment staff did a good job of entertaining the guests throughout the day with a variety of activities. For those who wanted it quiet, there is a second pool area with Jacuzzi but no shade here . They have massages available for $35 a half hour.
Beach - The beach was nice and clean but small/narrow only 40 ft in depth. The surf was rough red flags up all but one day while we were there due to the strong breezes throughout the day. People seem to swim with red flags up although the undertow is quite strong. They is shade down on the beach after 2pm in the afternoon. The sand was soft and hard to walk on. There was also a lack of lawn chairs on the beach. You can rent jet boats or go pay to go para sailing. Water sports was non existent as the ocean is too rough. You can go over to the lagoon and use kayaks, pedal boats there.
Weather - The weather was great at this time of year. Highs in the mid 80's(25-30C) and lows in the high 50's in early morn or late evening so bring a sweater or jacket.
Food and Beverages - This is an all-inclusive resort and there was plenty of food and drink to be had. We enjoyed all the restaurants but Club Solaris buffet style was noisy. Marco Polo Restaurant was a menu choice and quieter. The other outdoor restaurant was often very windy. Food served included fresh cooked turkey, roast beef, pork, grouper, salmon & also they had a lobster Sat. They have a outdoor grill with pizza, burgers and hot dogs. A deli restaurant also made up sandwiches but couldn’t seem to determine when this was open as only open once in the whole week we were there. The hotel provides room service for any meal which was free and a nice added feature. Be sure to ask for a Rum Runner or Sex on the Beach both excellent drinks. You can also go to the Royal Solaris Cancun 5 minutes away and use their restaurants and facilities. We went to the Marco Polo Restaurant overlooking the ocean but crowded(15 min wait for lunch) and not much food selection.
Entertainment - They hold buffet dinner/theater parties Monday, Wednesday and Friday in the theater near the elevators and store but not clearly marked. Monday was Mexican night with excellent food and dancers for entertainment. Wednesday was a Cirque d’le and Friday was a Tropical theme. They had huge rotating ice sculpture in the food. One night they had a surprise night but was audience participation and not that great. You could also go to Carlos and Charlie and dine on Thursdays but avoid if possible. They take you on a bus at 6:00pm and serve you a buffet dinner which isn’t very good and doesn’t include your drinks. They bring you back at 10:30 at night. Lots of complaining about this meal and of people took the local bus back themselves to the hotel. The hotel also have nightly entertainment two singers with music in the lobby bar which is very nice.
Tours- The hotel provided two tours free. One was on the Sunday a tour of the lagoon in a large boat from 1pm to 3pm. One on Monday a tour down the coast to south of Tulum to a Mayan village, a tour of the jungle and free zip line rides and canoe rides. This tour also included a delicious lunch and time at resort on the Mexican Rivera. We left 7:30am and returned 5pm. I think these were put on by the timeshare people but was great .We took our own tour to Isla Mujeres. You can catch the bus in front
of the hotel but make sure it says Puerto Juarez. They run every 15 minutes and usually have Isla Mujeres written across the top or side of bus in green. Take this
bus for 10 minutes pass the bus depot downtown Cancun, do not get off at other locations to go to the island as they are double the price of Puerto Juarez. The ferry runs every 30 minutes on the hour and half hour and cost $7.00 return. On island you can rent a golf cart for $45 a day but be sure to take your driver’s license. Island is only 5 miles long and has some beautiful scenery and beaches. Lots of shopping stores where the ferry land and also a very scenic beach within walking distance.
Buses- They run up and down the hotel strip every 2 or 3 minutes and only cost 6.5 pesos or $1.00 U.S. One bus runs to Wal-Mart and is marked as such and you can also do Market 28(cheap flea market) the same time. If you forget anything the Wal-mart will have it and their liquor is cheaper than the duty free. A bottle of Kahlua was $8.88 at Walmart and duty free wanted $12 for same bottle. Another bus is marked Puerto Juarez and it will take you to the ferry to Isla Mujeres. There are no transfers available you have to pay again to get onto another bus. You can also go down the coast to Playa de Carmen that runs every 15 minutes from the main bus terminal downtown Cancun but be sure to take a first class bus. From Playa de Carmen you can get the ferry to Cozumel.
We had a great time at this resort. It is close (10 minutes) from the airport and it exceeded all of our expectations. The front desk does need some expertise which will come after it has been opened longer.
Any questions please feel free to contact me at Lynn002@hotmail.com

Tulum ruinsTulum ruins

The great water in Cancun- such a pretty turquoiseThe great water in Cancun- such a pretty turquoise

Downtown SquareDowntown Square

Beach at Cancun in the hazeBeach at Cancun in the haze

HOLA SOY DE URUGUAY Y VOY A CANCUN EN NOVIEMBRE

by Javier26

HOLA SOY URUGUAYO Y VOY A CANCUN EN NOVIEMBRE, ALGUIEN PODRIA DECIRME O RECOMENDARME DONDE IR EN LA NOCHE A TOMAR UNAS CERVEZAS O TEQUILAS, DESDE YA MUCHAS GRACIAS Y ESPERO RESPUESTAS. SALUDOS JAVIER

Re: HOLA SOY DE URUGUAY Y VOY A CANCUN EN NOVIEMBRE

by toemayn

www.virtualtourist.com/.../Cancun.../Nightlife-Cancun-Senor_Frogs-BR-1.html -
Yo Comprobaría Ranas Senor

Re: HOLA SOY DE URUGUAY Y VOY A CANCUN EN NOVIEMBRE

by Laura_Mexico

No se que tipo de lugar quieras, los mas famosos son Coco Bongo y The City pero estos son antros grandes a donde mas que nada la gente va a bailar. Si quieres algo mas tranquilo el sr. Frogs es lo mas clasico pero en esa misma zona donde estan estas 2 discotecas hay bares mas pequeños donde puedes tomar un trago. Esta zona esta en la punta de cancun (la zona hotelera hace una "L" invertida cuando vas hacia en centro -- mas o menos en la esquina de la L es donde estan estos lugares). Saludos y que la pases bien.

Comments