Great Parnassus Resort and Spa

Blvd. Kukulkan Km. 16.9 Lote 52-04, Zona Hotelera, Cancun, Quintana Roo, 77500, Mexico

Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 27% less but rated 14% lower than other 5 star hotels

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

My first all-inclusive hotel

That was my first all-inclusive and the most expensive ($265 for a night) hotel I’ve ever stayed in. I’ve never tried such way of rest before and I don’t think it’s my way to spend my holidays. But it was unforgettable experience for never repeat something like that longer than 3 days… It wasn't my choice because I've been told that all the hotels in Cancun are all-inclusive hotels.

You can watch my 3 min 43 sec Video Cancun Great Parnassus Hotel part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

Unique Quality: Great Parnassus Family Room accommodation sleeps up five in exquisite comfort.
    • 1 king bed or 2 double beds, bunk beds and a trundle
    • Private balcony with partial ocean view
    • Cable TV

Check-in: 3:00 p.m.
    Check-out: 12:00 p.m.
    Legal age for check-in: 18
    Electricity: 110V
    Guests paying the all-inclusive rate have access to:
    • The resort’s 10 restaurants and 11 bars
    • 3 outdoor Jacuzzis and 4 pools
    • 2 lighted tennis courts
    • Movie-style theatre
    • Gym & fitness center, sauna and steam room
    • Hospitality room
    • Complimentary parking

Directions: You can watch my photo of Cancun on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 21° 4' 4.66" N 86° 46' 34.82" W or on my Google Earth Panoramio Great Parnassus Hotel 1.

• Great Par-NASTY! Roaches, dirty beds, AWFUL

I feel compelled to write reviews of this hotel on every website I can so others don't make the same mistake we did. This hotel was just plain gross! The positive reviews must be fake. We checked in on Sunday evening (June 2011) and left as soon as we could the next day for another hotel. This place is like a bad dream. Honestly, the pictures of this place are deceiving! This place is like a bad dorm room (or worse) The lobby looked good when we arrived, but from there on was a nightmare. There were roaches in the dining areas and our room (I took pictures!) and pubic hair on the bedding. There were no views whatsoever and all eating areas are inside. Built like a cruise ship-- rooms look down to eating areas. Long walk (outside alley) to the pool and beach areas. The pool was scummy and crowded. Everywhere- the building was in disrepair and very dirty. They served my daughter a raw hotdog and the fries were cold hard rocks. Just plain gross food. I didn't even bother to eat. The staff were not unfriendly, but were not helpful either-- did not seem to know anything or even how to reach the manager. They could not or would not give me a receipt for checking out, did not seem to care about the bugs or unclean bedding. No refrigerator, no coffeemaker, dirty towels, non responsive room service, I could go on and on. Like other reviewers said--- your accosted in the lobby area over and over by people who say they are ready to give you a tour of the hotel and amenities, but then find out it is a salespitch!! PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE! We moved to Dreams Riveria-- what a dream! Our friends who we traveled with have stayed in the Dreams resorts many times-- I was so happy after our move there-- what a vacation should be!! Thank goodness we were not afraid to get out.

Unique Quality: ROACHES! Crumbling, Scummy!

• Great Parnassus Cancun

Hi,

Almost every hotel is near to "party zone" - so do not worry with parties.
    If you like a hotel which many good restaurants- I will advice you go to Parnassus Resort. There you have 12 restaurants and everything is all inclusive :-)))

My favorite hotel is Moon Palace - but it is far away from party zone :-( depending on what you want...

My first travel to Cancun I have organize with some mexican company where i got cheap prices and advices where it is good to go. Now I am buying only hotels and transportation with them. It is worth. You can safe a lot of money. I can only recommended it: www.lastminute-services.com

Have a nice trip! :-)
    Greetings from France
    Kate

More about Great Parnassus Resort and Spa

Will be Great Parnassus

by TripAdvisor Member TravelTeacher15

Pros-

Food- All of the food that we ate was outstanding breakfast thru dinner.
Entertainment Staff- Christopher and Santiago in particular worked very hard to make sure everyone could participate if they wanted to.
Kid's Staff- These girls were very accomodating considering that the kid's club wasn't open. Helen, Rosa, Jackie, and Jenna were all considered to be my daughter's "friends."
Large Outdoor Pool-3 levels overlooking the ocean with a beautiful view
Room- Large, bunk beds were cool and separated from the adult's sleeping quarters. It was also kept very clean. We were happy to get a different "towel animal" each day when we returned from the pool. Large balconies with an excellent view.
Bars- No waiting, top shelf liquors, Manuel makes the best drinks!!!
TV- Large flat screen with a good picture.

Cons-

-extreme daytime construction noise
-bizarre water pressure, temperature, and smell
-some exposed wiring
-pool with bar was green
-small rocky beach
-no drinkable water in rooms
-Kid's Club not finished
-most of kid's activities for older children
-water park not finished
-ceilings collapsing
-safe not bolted down
-not enough towels, beach or bath
-most perplexing of all, beer bar had only one kind of beer.

Bad Front Desk at Great Parnassus

by TripAdvisor Member allydfw

We went in March, 2007. Generally we were all happy, little things here and there did not bother us.

But Front desk has one person named Carlos (not entertainment staff) is pretty bad. I went to ask for some phone numbers for rental-cars, and was willing to let him make some money by calling his friends' or family's rental company, but they still double charged us (cash and credit card) and asked for 200 peso more for a scratch.

The scratch was put on by them, it was funny to see them put up a show just to get 200 peso, we paid 100 peso extra anyway.

It's no big deal but just seems Great does not have professional service people yet.

Great Experience at the Great Parnassus

by carriecar about Great Parnassus

Great experience. The service was fantastic and the hotel was lovely. Highly recommended. you did not have to make dinner reservations! :)

Great time at the Great!

by TripAdvisor Member IowaWinterFun

I would agree with most of the reviews that the Great Parnassus is not a finished resort, but that did not interfere with our stay. Yes, there are some ongoing problems at the resort, they are constantly fixing things, and the water did have an aweful stench for a few days, but we still had a great time. We traveled with a group of 6 people and we were looking for good food, good drinks, a nice pool and beach, and we were not disappointed. The rooms were spacious, but not fully furnished, but we didn't spend that much time in them so it wasn't an issue. We did not have air conditioning the first night, and the noise from the Hilton air units was very loud, but the next day they fixed our air and we were able to keep the balcony doors closed, problem solved.

The food there was excellent!! We ate at all of the restauraunts except for the Japanese and did not have a single complaint. Be sure you take the free shuttle to the Golden at least once and eat at their steakhouse, I think it is called the Red Barn or something to that effect. It is definitely worth a trip!!!

Once again, there are some issues but it is what you make of it!!! If you constantly focus on the problems, you will have a negative experience, but if you take it for what it is you will have a great time!

This Hotel Stunk - Literally!!

by TripAdvisor Member Sharon&Rob

Travel Dates: 2/28/07 - 37/07

I feel compelled to write about the Great Parnassus because I was traveling with my 3 kids(ages 8,6 &3) and this hotel has some very serious safety issues. When we arrived, the first thing we noticed was the number of workers outside finishing the front of the hotel. When we entered the lobby, we noticed that it stunk like sewer. It was gross!! We later discovered that it was the water that stunk. The large wall behind the check in desk had water running down it for decoration - looked pretty, but smelled really bad.

There were workers all around the hotel both finishing it and fixing it. There were 4 places that the roof had collapsed that were cordoned off and were being fixed. The pool area had two tiers to it. My 8 year old son was walking and looking at the pool and not where he was going and almost fell off the 2nd tier. I caught him just in time. There are no railings or anything to prevent this potential 6 foot cement drop. Then, we went to go down to the beach and the stairs going to the beach were in horrible condition - giving my daughter a sliver in her foot. My husband couldn't believe the amount of money that was spent on rebuilding this hotel, and they couldn't construct a decent set of steps leading to the beach!!

The water park was only half open. There were 2 slides coming down the big orange castle. That was it. The lady there told my kids they had to use blue mats to go down the slide, however, they only had 2 mats. The rest didn't come in yet. The ladies room off the lobby area had 10-12 toilets lined up with no dividers!! That was actually a pretty funny sight to see!!

Well, we decided to stay and see how dinner was. It was horrible - the food was cold and had no taste to it. The food court had only small 4 oz glasses to drink from. There was no refrigerator in our room (family suite). So...if you wanted a drink of anything you had to go all the way to the food court. There was room service available, but no menus and was told to just call and ask what was available.

Anyway, when I pulled out the trundle bed that night for my 3 year old to sleep in, I found a used condom stuck to the sheet!! Thank God my 3 year old didn't find it and think it was a balloon!!The girl at the desk was nice enough and moved us to a room with a "better view". At least we no longer had the noise of the fans from the Hilton outside our room. When we got to the new room, my 8 year old claimed the top bunk and found a 3 inch dry wall screw in the bed. I couldn't believe it!!

The next morning, I went to the front desk to see if I could go to another hotel and the manager wouldn't even speak to me. One man spoke in Spanish to the manager, who replied to him. Then he spoke to me in English. It was so insulting!!! All they would do was offer to clean the second room. At this point, I just wanted to relax and enjoy my vacation without worrying about my kid's safety. I had booked this through Cancun.com and ended up calling them to see what my options were. The people there were so friendly and helpful!! They worked for hours to get us switched to another hotel. We ended up at the Gran Caribe Real. For the same money, we got a room that walked right out onto the beach with water that didn't smell and food that was actually good. There was a refrigerator in the room which they filled daily with whatever you requested. The Great Parnassus actually tried to charge me $14.00 for using the phone to make local calls. Yes - I was calling my travel agent to get out of that unsafe place!! After exploding at the manager, needless to say - I didn't pay the phone bill.

I understand others who say you make your own good time on vacation, but why settle for the Great Parnassus which isn't finished and is very unsafe for kids when there are so many more hotels on the strip that will meet your expectations? Take my advice, switch hotels before you leave. Don't think you are stuck - there are other options. I'm so glad I changed hotels and ended up with a wonderful vacation starting on day 2.

Good time at the Great

by TripAdvisor Member JCIllini

We just returned from a 7 night stay at the Great Parnassus on 3/9/07. We read lots of reviews on Trip Advisor and were somewhat leary as to what to expect as some had some very negative things to say. If you're going to be going to the Great soon, don't fret; overall we had a very good time.

The positives:

* The staff is awesome. They go out of their way to make sure you have anything you need. They must only hire happy friendly people!
* It was good to see Carlos and Johnny of the entertainment staff; previously they were at Goldon Crown/Parnassus. Johnny's english is much better than when we first met him 2 years ago.
* The entire entertainment staff: Carlos/Johnny/Santiago/Charlie Brown are great at keeping the guests entertained.
* The shows in the theatre are entertaining and at times comical; definitely worth going to (9PM Thurs-Tues; 9:30PM on Wed). Its fun to see the kids getting involved (Pinata; Limbo contest; American Idol judges).
* The food is excellent. You must go to the snack bar at least once and ask Wilson for some chips and guacomole (its kept out of sight in the fridge)! The buffet is surprisingly good. There are several stations: Salads, Veggie (smooties made here), Pasta, Poultry; Grill; Oriental; Seafood; Mexican(love the empanadas for breakfast!); Deli/Deserts (phenomonal deserts!). You have to go the Le'Creperie at least one night for desert.
* All the restaurants are very good. We ate at Big Ben twice; Portifono's twice; and Samarai and Michelle once. They all delivered on both presentation and taste. We also ate at LaTasca for lunch one day. This one is off the beaten path by he kids water park so we were there by ourselves...not as good as the dinner restaurants.
* You can get boogie boards from the entertainment staff to play on in the sea...just have to leave a $20 deposit to ensure the board makes it back. I had soooo much fun playing on the waves.
* Nice large electronic safe was provided. It wasn't going anywhere...it was bolted to the concrete wall in the back.
* Rooms are very large with comfortable beds.
* Beach was very nice. Was somewhat washed out when we first arrived; but after 2 days the winds shifted washed it all back in. Obviously this happens all the time as the rocks up and down the beach had carvings in them going back decades.
* Finally...dark beer! They have Dos XX light and dark. Try the dark!!!!

The negatives:
* The water is currently well water. First few days we were there it smelled pretty bad but after that it was much better. Get water to drink from any bar or the buffet when its open for brushing your teeth. I was told they're planning to get on Cancun's water.
* The bathtub in the shower is narrow...even to use as a shower I found it a pain to stand in.
* Rooms could use a mirror since the lighting in the bathroom isn't the best.
* The fact that the hotel isn't done isn't that big a deal; it definitely won't ruin your vacation. However, I think mgt needs to focus their efforts on customer facing work now. Railings in the pool area; steps to the beach; put up the marple bathroom walls; clean the trash out of the stairwell, etc.
* Male restroom by the theatre hard to use when you're over 5'8 due to very low ceiling height...would be nice if the sinks were swapped to that side.
* Check in was very frustrating. We got there at 1:00 and was told to come back at 3:00 for a room. At 3:00 we were told our room number but it wasn't available until 3:30. I asked for a odd numbered room (didn't want to listen to Hilton's A/C all night!) but told to first check out the room they'd assigned to us. At 3:30 I was told 3:40; again asked for a different room...first guy said none were available; he walked off and the next guy quickly finds me a room on the quiet side on the 6th floor.
* The adults pool bar needs barstools to try to duplicate the Tiki bar fun we always have at the Golden. Some shade out there would be nice too.
* Expect a wait if you try to go to dinner 7:30ish even though the restaurants look half full at best!

We recommend adults traveling w/o children to go to the Golden at least once. Its nice eating lunch at the Pier 12 outside overlooking the sea (awesome food); fun partying at the Tiki bar...Fonzie is the best! Its about a 40 minute walk by beach; a little less by sidewalk...or you can take the free hotel shuttle every hour on the hour. We made it there all 3 ways!

Overall we had a very good time. We were fearful we wouldn't have hot water after reading some of these posts, but that never was a problem for us. Will we be back?...depends. We like the Golden better; but this go around the price at the Great was the deciding factor; as I'm sure it will be for us in the future.

Worst Vacation Ever

by TripAdvisor Member mbrien1

Our family and another family totaling 4 adults and 5 children just got back from this hotel. We had picked another hotel, but our travel agent had strongly suggested this one, because it was so much better and had alot more for the kids to do. We took it. What was suppose to be the best vacation ever turned into a day by day, disappointing, irritating and disgusting nightmare. Everything listed in the brochure was either not there, not ready or compromised. It promised a kids club, a teens club, a waterpark, a mini golf course, a rock climbing wall, a game room, supervised kids activities, a coffeemaker, tennis courts, basketball courts, unlimited soda and beer. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO. NOTHING. Unlimited drinks were there, if they actually worked. Every single time i went for a drink something was wrongand ICE - nope that don't work either. I signed my 6 & 10 yr old up for a supervised activity in which they received a special bracelet signifying that they could not leave without me signing them out. they left without me signing them out. No one from the hotel noticed that there were 2 missing kids. What did they have to say when I complained "I'm Sorry" That's it TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. Luckily, i wasn't too far away. This was just the tip of the iceberg. Let's forget that everything I paid for wasn't here and my kids had actually nothing to do but swim at the pool.
Let's talk about the safety of this hotel. it was 1 big construction site.Ladders, tarps, nails, screws, buckets, scaffolding, equipment everywhere.Lights hanging from ceilings, ceilings falling down with water pouring out, fountains leaking all over the floor, elevators don't work and when they do the lights don't work inside of them. Scaffolding hanging over doorways you have to walk through. Umbrellas not having the right supporting that they go flying in the wind. More toilets and sinks laying around in the hallways than in the bathrooms and no stalls in the bathrooms. I think each bathroom had 1 or 2 stalls the rest were open. I hope you are not shy. We saw a 2yyr old fall through a railing that wasn't finished, i fell in the stairs in the theater because they don't turn on the lights when you go to see a show, another guest was called up on stage and he banged his head hardly on some metal things sticking out of the walls where the stairs were. The steps to the beach are broken, splintery pieces of 2x4's , 1 with no hand railing. We were forced to use the stairs a few times because the elevators didn't work. they were filled with nails, screws, construction metal, sinks and toilets. graffiti everywhere. The room we were put in was next to a huge a/c unit from the other hotel. very loud. but better than the other side of the hotel. That's where they were doing all of the drilling.
How about service. My drinking glasses in my room were always dirty, never enough towels, I had to ask for toilet paper, I had to ask for a remote conntrol twice, eventually had to go get it. Nothing in the room for materials, like how to use the phone, room service menu, restaurant times, shuttle times. Nothing. The water in the hotel is disgusting. Everytime we took a shower at night, we had to open the doors and spray cologne to keep from puking. it smelled like rotten eggs on some nights and sewer on other nights. The shower was fun. 10 seconds of cold water, then 10 seconds of scalding hot water. You had to time it correctly to avoid being burnt.
How about the activities. Painting - oh we need paper. Legos - 10 megablocks for 10 kids, i thought you were suppose to build with legos not look at one piece. Arts & Crafts - Oh you have to pay for that. Hey 2 nights they had a kids disco. Both nights we got the kids all dressed up to take them there. When we got there, they canceled it. We gave up on the activities. i was tired of seeing the kids being disappointed. 2 of my kids actually wanted to go home. We spent 2 1/2 hours waiting for our dinner at the Big Ben restaurant. When it finally came, 2 orders were wrong and 1 was missing. it took another 1/2 hour to fix. One of my kids gave up and went to bed hungry. It seemed like the hotel had a policy, don't tell and if someone asks, play dum. We spent the first 3 days wasting our timewaiting for dinner, getting ready for shows that were cancelled, being misdirected from one place to another , just for them to tell us that the time was changed, that it took us a few days to figure it out. I think that's the point.
There is still alot more but I am sure you are sick of reading this.
One note, we did complain several times at the hotel and they said there was nothing they could do and that they were sorry. They told us our travel agent was aware and to deal with them when we got home. So if you use a travel agent make sure you still investigate your hotel. We were told this was a brand new hotel that was rated 5 stars. We got a 1 star dangerous dump.

Had a great time...we'll be back...

by TripAdvisor Member carlabu

We just returned from the GP on Friday the 9th...had a wonderful week at the GP...yes, there are some things not completed, but they did not impact on our vacation at all...we had a 14 and a 17 year old who had a great time as well. The food was fine, the family rooms were spacious and clean and was great for our family. We had lots of towels, the room was clean and the view was great.

We needed to call room service to have purified water to brush our teeth, but once we had the glass picture, we just filled it with ice and water each morning...worked fine!

The Hotel was like living on a cruise ship...felt like it, and looked like it...was kind of neat! The pool area was beautiful, the beach was lovely...the entertainment was great, and the staff was wonderful. We went prepared for the worst, but were happily surprised...go and have a great time!

Wow it was AMAZING

by TripAdvisor Member TeexWoodxAll

Okay I'm 15 and my family went I had a great time I mean i loved it!The entertainment staff was the best San Tiago and Johnny are funny =]] but yeahh it isn't completely done but it is going to be a GREAT hotel I say wait a few months so they can get everything done but they are rushing and oh is it looking good.

Six Chicas from Chicago

by TripAdvisor Member BeaverChicago

This was our 9th year on a girls trip and I will say, it ranks up there with the best of them! We didn't know what to expect, being a new hotel, but we were really impressed. The look of the hotel from the inside reminded us of a cruise ship. I will have to say the best part of our trip (that made our trip) was the activitiy staff (Santiago, Johnny, Charlie, Carlos and Helen). They made it fun around the pool, put on great shows in the theatre, and continued on after the show with escorting us to the bars at night. I would definitely come back just for the fact that they were all still there!!! We also were impressed with the different lunch choices. We have been to many places where all you got was fried food for lunch. Our drink glasses were never empty thank you to Nancy!!!! She is the best! The room could use a little improvements but nothing that ruined our trip. Another mirror outside of the bathroom would be nice and an alarm clock added. We were really impressed with the overall package and would love to come back next year to see the final project. Always love the beach!!!!

Great Parnassus area question

by blabbaboo

We're going to be at the Great Parnassus in January (if we can't get something around the convention center), and I need to find out what's in walking distance of the resort. My brother uses an electric wheelchair, and transportation will be problematic. If shops and such are a mile or more away, we'll have to go elsewhere. I know Senor Frog's and Carlos & Charlie's are on the north end, but that's the kind of place we want to go. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

good food and a five year old

by pepsi2

I am looking at Cancun for later in the year i have never been we want a nice hotel with good food and entertainment good for kids 4-5 star the better ones seem to be further out dose this matter are there busses as we wont be driving and would like to travel to centre any suggestions would be appreciated

by embi40

You can start by looking at the Apple Vacation website(and the other one- the package travel people, can't recall the name) just to get an idea of what hotels are out there. Then you can go to the individual hotel websites to see if you get better rates booking with them directly. Yes, the Cancun hotels are served by a bus service that goes to the city centre.

by yvr

Take a look at the two Marriott properties, very nice, upscale. Public bus service is good. In Mexico you get what you pay for so cheap is not the way to go.

by YVRDave

The Ritz Carlton Cancun was voted to have the best Kids Program at Virtuoso and Conde Naste.

Others are Club Med(great food too), Crown Paradise and Dreams

by pepsi2

The hotels that we like the look of and that are available from UK tour operators that fly direct from Manchester are Crown paradise /Great Parnassus/RIU Caribe. any advice have you stayed at any of these ?.

by YVRDave

The Great Parnassus has a huge kid area with Pirate ship slides and pool area(very long walk from beach). it is a bit secluded on the south end of the hotel zone. The Riu doesn't seem to be geared to Kids. The Crown Paradise(heart of hotel zone) is similar to Great Parnassus. The kids areas are far from the beach at the road side of the properties.

by neverstoptravel

Buses run frequently between downtown and hotel zone. Taxi fare is fixed within the hotel zone(Av.Kukulkan)but you can negotiate it.

by angelbabybreanna

There is always Mc Donalds.

Nice Family Resort Hotel in Cancun

by Birgie

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a nice 4 or 5 star hotel in Cancun that is a good choice for a family with kids 5 and 9 years of age. I haven't been to Cancun in about 10 years and wonder what new activities there might be as well. Thanks.

by dheeruyadav

Cancun, a great city in the coastal region of Mexico. There are some wonderful places to stay.
Some of the good places are-
Ritz-Carlton Cancun
Riu Palace Las Americas
Marriott CasaMagna Cancun Resort

You can check

by YVRDave

Those resorts are very nice but, not very kid friendly and at least one is adults only

Real Gran Caribe has a new kids area. The Great Parnassus has an even bigger kids area. Both have family rooms with bunk beds

Further south is the Paradisius Riviera, calmer beach and a great kids club

Club Med cancun is now a Family resort with great food

by jumpingnorman

I have seen 4-5 star hotels (most them high rise and kinda like wanna-be Vegas) in Cancun and they are nice, but I discovered a nice low-rise hotel with an excellent beach and excellent for those with kids. I brought my three year old twins and I think this hotel was both reasonably priced and well-located: Ambiance Villas and I made a Hotel tip on my VT Cancun page at http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/11001b/ea4af/3/ It is beside the Intercon Hotel where we had our breakfasts by the beach...Hope this helps.

by cheeconi

Check out Playa del Carmen...the beaches there are calmer and it's a very family friendly town. There are alot of resorts, the Iberostars,and the RIU's.

Comments