Hostel Mirage

Yucatan PeninsulaYucatan Peninsula

Not so Lonely with More PeopleNot so Lonely with More People

Xel-Ha enquiry

by sunpig59

We are staying at the Grand Sirenis in the Mayan in March. Want to do Xel-Ha as an excursion. Should we book in advance online or wait till we get down there? We plan on going all-inclusive because both of us like to drink and eat. We plan on taking the collectivo outside our hotel as opposed to booking the excursion with transportation. I can book now for $71 US per person. Is that the way to go? How much more expensive is it if I wait to book down there? Thank you.

by juliogg

Hello. Look up www.bestday.com Its a tour Co. down there. When we go to CUN we never pre-book activities. Deals may change for the better when in-country. Xel-Ha is great. Do the "Snuba". Go early to enjoy the whole day. Also swim in a "Cenote", do the CAVE at "Achtunchen" near playa del Carmen. Rent a car for 1 day and you could do : leave at crack of dawn for Chichenitza" so that you are there when they open. Walk it, then leave & drive to COBA (near by & on way back) take bycycle ride in to the large pyramid (only one you can know climb) and you will have a view over ALL tree tops. Walk back to entrance (1 1/2) miles back to entrance. then swim in Cenote before hitting PDC(Playa del Carmen). Scaret & Tulum are also good.

by GlobeTrekr

We went to Xel-Ha and didn't care much for it. It was nice but not great. I've heard that Xcaret is much better, but then again I have not been there! (brother has).

Definitely wait til you get there to book your excursions, no need to book in advance. Have fun!

by Laura_Mexico

I agree with the previous posters, I wouldn't book it in advance as there are usually several offers available on site so it's not like you will not find a vacant place or something like that.... as for the price, I can't remember what I paid when I went to Xcaret (never been to Xel-ha) but it was more or less what you're being offered now and our tour did include the transportation. You may want to check a couple of different options while already on site and see which one is cheaper and/or more convenient.

As I said, I haven't been to Xel-ha but I agree with Globe that Xcaret is gorgeous.... can't say if "better" than Xel-ha or not, but it's wonderful.

by Odinnthor

Actually, I think both places are well worth a visit. At least you have something to compare with if you see them both. Agree with all, that you should wat until you get there to book any excursions/tours. Prices are invariably better if you book them locally.

Don't know anything about you, ages and such, so I'll throw this at you anyway. It is a fun place, but not for everyone.

by brkilbourne

Been to both several times. Although Xel- Ha is very nice ( owned by the same paople ) Xcaret has 10 times more to do and see. Xel- Ha is almost entirely water activities while Xcaret has more water activities, a zoo, an aquiriam, smaller shows during the datime, a great night show and more restaurants. Yes wait untill you get down there to book.

Travel Tips for Cancún

weather

by HotRodEtte

If you plan on going in June, check the extended weather reports. We went for 3 days in June & it rained every single day from noon until dinner time. Just an FYI. We still found things to do, but I would check if sunbathing is your biggest concern. I miss the fun times at the clubs and the lovely hotel pool.

You must be very patient. ...

by WILDEFLOWER

You must be very patient. Things move very slow around here from the very start. Then to fast in the end. We will go to the ocean, the night life, the strip, the ruins, Isle of Women, snorkeling etc... I think my favorite was Island of Women because it was more personalable and cheap.

"a good resort (part 2)"

by josecarlos

They spoiled us a lot in Cancun. Daiquiris, Margaritas, Pinas Coladas and other delicious drinks 24 hours every day...

the beaches, swimming pools and the services were magnific. Definitely an excellent place to forget about the external world...(only for a while...)

Jacuzzi in the room

by gipper84

Probably my most fondest memory besides the people I met in Cancun, and the places I went was the jacuzzi which was in the main room. I loved that jacuzzi. One night we had a few friends come over and actually tried the jacuzzi out and it was quite relaxing. This is also a really good think for newly weds, or couples just coming down for a relaxing vacation. Definetly make it a point to try the jacuzzi tubs at least one night. They are so relaxing!

Common Courtesy

by strikestar

I was on a missionary trip to inner city Cancun in May 2005. We were mostly in region 103. Pretty poor neighborhood with stick houses. The houses may have plumbing and it may not but I did notice that the people are friendly. We learned that you greet everyone who enters a room and you say goodbye to them when they leave. It seems like common sense to be courteous but some people are not or just prideful. It can be very offensive not to speak to someone there in a certain setting. This goes for children, elderly, clergy whomever. You don't just greet those you like or know or those that look like you. I guess it was a lesson on kindness. I'm a friendly person and still I learned a lot. The people may kiss you on the cheek also men with men and women with women.

Comments