Blvd Kukulcan Km 11.5 HZ, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula, 77500, Mexico

Agoda.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Rated 19% higher but also costs 261% more than other 3 star hotels

• brkilbourne's Profile Photo

Luxury

Service: The best service I have ever experienced. For example, we got in the room and I opened 2 of the 3 beers in the minifrig. I called house keeping and asked for some more cerveza. Before I finished my cigarette there was a knock on the door - "How many sir and what kind". The pool side waiter came up & asked for our drink order, I gave it but forgot to ask for an ashtray. I had cigs in my shirt pocket. He comes back with our drinks and an ashtray, very observant. At breakfast, I sat down and realized I had forgotten the syrup for my french toast. When I noticed, so did our waiter and he asked if he could bring some. It was great service without being intrusive.
    Rooms: Room 707 was spectacular. It had a perfect ocean view, hammock, jacuzzi, 2 sinks and a good bed. Cancun is known for their rock hard beds, but not here. All rooms have a front ocean view.
    Balconies. Most of the 5th thru 7th floor balconies have wall dividers. Some exceptions ( 727) is one I'm aware of. The 8th floor ( non Presidential suites ) rooms only have one divider. Balconies are separate but some have no privacy wall between the two. On the 2nd thru 4th floor the balconies that have a column have dividers on only one side. Look at the video when checking in on line, mine was accurate. Rooms 314-326 and 414-426 doorways/hall are on the inside overlooking the main hall where they have shows every night at 9:45. They run about 45 minutes. If you are an early to bed type, you will want to choose a different room.
    Shows: Were better than others I've seen in Cancun hotels.
    Food. Spice restaurant: Had the best breakfast, lunch & supper buffet I've ever seen, including in Las Vegas . At lunch, I walked up to the grill. The server put a knife on the rare cooked loin and moved it to the thickness I wanted, cut it and threw it on the grill, for as long as I wanted. The shrimp were the size of your thumb, about 25 count per lb. Savannah is shrimp country and I can tell you these were fresh and perfectly cooked. They also had scallops, pork, sushi, fajitas, burgers, basically anything most people would want and all of it fresh & hot.
    Tapas: Are "small bites: (intentional ) but you can order the whole menu if you want. Everything we ordered was cooked to perfection again and extremely flavorful.
    Pelicano's: We loved eating here, steady breeze looking over the most beautiful blue ocean. Seafood and other things.
    Chefs plate: "Molecular food". Most unusual but great food. This was a treat for the senses of vision, hearing, taste, smell and touch. Sixteen people share one table. We were asked to at least try each course even if you don't normally eat it. All plates were cleaned by everyone at our table, for all courses. If one were to describe the dessert I would have to call it humorous. One piece of the dessert was a triangular wafer. Think of a food that is loud when eaten. Normally the person next to you can here the crunch, crunch. Not with this. In your head it sounds like around 90 - 100 decibels but no one else can hear it.
    Asiana has excellent service and food, probably the equal of Maria/Marie's in quality.
    Maria/Maries: The quality of the food and service are not to be topped anywhere in Savannah, GA it equals or surpasses our highest quality restaurants. The same meal in Savannah would be between $200-$250 for two. They have 8 red and 8 white wines. Francisco, our waiter, was outstanding and recommended a wine that went great with our food. We had Mexican seafood bouillabaisse and scallops hor d'oeuvres, which were perfect. Also nice was the lime sorbet to cleanse the palate. I don't like "surf&turf" and this prepared my palate for the main meat entree. I had a deer ribeye ( about 16oz ) that was perfectly cooked and the lamb chops another day, again perfectly cooked.
    24 hr club has 2 pool tables, ping pong table and board games, finger food, bottles of liquor, multiple coffee machine , chest of various teas and a wine rack. If you see a wine you would like to try, pull it, uncork it and bring it to your room or ask room service for it.
    Coffee shop: Coffee of course but it also has pastries, fruit and a chocolate fountain. Very nice and accommodating people in there.
    Bar was large with plenty of seats around it to relax plus a couple of beach beds. People just took pictures of each other but nobody laid back in them so to speak.
    Pool- Loved the configuration. It's larger then it looks. It has a cool side and heated side. Both were great at different times of the day. There are several large hot tubs. The hotel was full for Memorial Day weekend but there was no problem at any time of the day to find chairs, covered or otherwise. Yes if you have a specific spot you want to occupy go early and put your stuff on it. The beach is wide and again we had no trouble finding a place. The beach bar was convenient and they do have beach service.
    The beach has many more shells on the beach after the restoration, this is both a good thing and bad. Great for shell collectors but the sand can feel not as soft as the old Cancun sand.
    Guest services, people in the blue uniforms are time share. Unless your interested, be firm and tell them no. After that they put a card in your door, ignore it.

Unique Quality: All rooms are ocean front.

Directions: The Hotel Zone

• Royal Resorts Cancun Mexico timeshare Scam

I purchased a seven night vacation at The Royal Cancun during a timeshare presentation for Royal Resorts (aka: Interval Servicing Co Club Internacional de Cancun ). Upon returning home from vacation 5 days later, I went online and discovered I was charged double the rate to stay at this resort.
    I immediately contacted customer service and cancelled my stay at The Royal Cancun and Contacted Visa to dispute the $375 down payment I was charged. I was assured by Royal Resorts that my account would be cancelled, I would owe nothing and receive my down payment back.
    A month later I received a bill in the mail from Royal Resorts. I contacted customer service again and was assured it was only a mistake and I owed nothing, at this time they mailed a letter to me showing my account was closed and my account balance is $0.
    I begin to think I am finally out of this scam until a month later when Visa calls to inform me that my down payment still has not been refunded. I call customer service again and again and keep getting the run around and am told someone will call me back (which never happened). Upon my last call to customer service they finally tell me they have no plans on refunding the down payment I made. I now have to go through the Federal Consumer Protection Commission to try to get my money back from this scam. Please beware Royal Resorts cares nothing about there customers and only about ripping people off!!!

• brkilbourne's Profile Photo

Superb

Shows: Were better than others I've seen in Cancun hotels.

Unique Quality: Service, service and food.

Directions: Right in the middle of the Hotel Zone. Across from Flamingo Plaza mall and bars Margaritaville and Pat Obrians

• keida84's Profile Photo

All Luxury All the Time

"All inclusive" now that is what I like to hear. "Upgrade Mrs M" even better! Such was the case at The Royal in Cancun a brand new mega resort in Cancun. I had booked a junior oceanfront suite this came with a room category upgrade to a corner oceanfront suite. 48 hours prior to our arrival the hotel gave me a code to open a web page on their site to actually choose the room I wanted. This was a great feature. When we arrived they had extended another guests stay so they upgraded us to the VIP suite replete with a swim up pool with in water chaise lounges.

All inclusive is no joke at the Royal in Cancun. We had a mini bar that was not mini at all. We had full size bottles of alcohol (nope we did not have a drink) plus a well stocked refrigerator with milk, juice and soda and fizzy H2O. The room was spectacular, over 750 sq feet. Our shower had a regular handheld nozzle OR you could try the multi-fauceted shower that shoots water at you from top to bottom. The shower also doubled as a steam room (just like the spa) with a window looking out over the ocean. The in room jaccuzi was awesome and to my husband's liking the "Nesspresso" which had liquid espresso shots you could make right in your room. The amenities were plentiful and even had things like a shaving kit and a first aid kit too! Very nice touch!! Total luxury and we never wanted to leave.

Unique Quality: On line check in, the hotel is all inclusive excepting tours and services like massages or use of the business center. We were given the best table in all of the restaurants. We were given a $100.00 usd in hotel credit, a reserved beach cabana with a beach butler, twice daily maid service (the nighttime turndown was beautiful, free use of a mini cooper car (we did not do this because their insurance rates were too high), free round trip airport transfers were all a part of our package.

The only thing was our suite was on the party side of the hotel. The emcee on a microphone blaring disco and other loud music was a bit too much. We could not use our patio because it kept going on and on. Now I enjoy a good party but this was a bit much, finally after 6 hours I called the front desk the situation was resolved almost instantly. **Word to the wise: Book like I did on the spa side of the hotel it is quieter. Too bad I forgot about that when they upgraded us, but really I was not about to kick a gift horse in the mouth when the suite was offered to us.

There is so much to tell about this hotel that it cannot be written in one review so please check out my other tips for more information on this grand hotel.

More about The Royal Cancun

Be treated like King or Queen at The Royal Cancun

by TripAdvisor Member joerensselaer

Just returned from four days staying at The Royal Cancun, and what a property. AS the title says, if you want to be treated like a King or Queen, go to The Royal Cancun.

The minute I walked into the lobby, I knew I was in the right place.
I looked across the lobby onto the ocean. I was treated with a cold drink and a cool towel the minute I walked into the lobby.
Registration took place at a desk on the floor where we stayed and we were in the room in no time.

And what a room. It is very large. We had king bed with special bedding that made it hard to leave it in the morning, even though the beach was right outside. We had a flat screen tv with a Bose sound system and free movies to watch when we had had too much sun and drink at the pool or beach. Also, we had a fully stocked bar and refrigerator that was well stocked and included in the all inclusive.
The shower has a rain shower and then massaging sprays that are placed on the wall. There is also a hand held shower. There is a window that allows you to see the ocean from the shower. There also are double sinks, and a two person jacuzzi.

Most views are oceanfront and what a view. We were on the seventh floor and the view both ways was spectacular. The food in all the restaurants is very good. My wife said she had one of the best lobster dinners she has ever had. The service in all the restaurnats was prompt and friendly. The big thing about this all inclusive resort is you do not have to make reservations.

There are several bars and upscale liquor available 24 hours. There is no reason to go hungry or be thirsty at any time of the day.
The pool is spectacular with a pool bar. Many chairs are situated so you are sitting in the pool.

This hotel has many ammenities you do not find at other hotels-aroma therapy in the room, turn down service with the best chocolate, robes and slippers, a privacy door for 24 hour room service, and pillow menues.

We had a balcony with two chairs and a hammock. What a view.
My wife and I will return to this resort and I hope you will visit. I know you will not be disappointed.

Not Exceeding your Expectations

by TripAdvisor Member Karaya

We recently stayed at the Royal Cancun from 3-1-07 until 3-4-07 for our fifth anniversary. I was very disappointed in our stay. The hotel was beautiful but clearly opened too early. In reading the reviews before we left, I thought the people complaining about the resort must have extremely high expectations. I am the type of person that will give others the benefit of the doubt. I quickly realized that the reviews I had read were accurate and that The Royal has multiple problems. Here was our experience:
1. We arrived early and were not able to get a room. We had booked a king size bed and were told that would not be possible unless we wanted to pay $400 more for our stay! The entire check in process lasted too long and the staff seemed to be unorganized. Five hours after arriving at the resort we were given a room. I was bothered by the fact that our luggage was the only luggage left in the lobby for those five hours. I did not feel that this was very safe and worried about the luggage being taken. The Royal needs to have a secure place to put luggage. By the way the front desk staff was unpleasant and seemed put out by my questions.
2. After getting a room we quickly changed and headed out to the pool. After coming in from the pool I wanted to shower. The showers are nice and had six showerheads. I thought this was great until I could not turn the water off. We called the front desk and they assured us someone would be up shortly. We waited for an hour and a half, no one showed. The bathroom is now flooding at this point so I call again and tell them that the bathroom is flooding, 45 minutes later-no one came. My husband decided to go walk the halls to see if he could find someone, he did and brought them into our room, the shower was fixed but it took too much effort on our part to make this happen.
3. After the entire shower incident we were finally able to get ready to go to dinner. We went to dinner at Marie Maria’s. We waited 35 minutes for our table; it was okay because we had drinks. We sat down and the first menu did not look like it had anything we would want to eat, everything had too much froufrou food. Nothing was cooked normal and odd sauces or configurations seemed to be added to everything. We asked for the menu for the other restaurant adjoining it, Chef’s, we were able to order off of there. I ordered Lobster Bisque, 20 minutes later still did not have the bowl of soup, I asked our waiter for rolls because every other table around us had already been given them, we still did not have soup and after waiting another 20 minutes we had no rolls and no soup while the people next to us were already through with their appetizer. We have never done this before but we were so frustrated, we got up and walked out. We tried to go to the Gran Caribe to eat but found that the lines were all too long or we had to have reservations. It was frustrating so then we headed back to the Royal and ate at Spice. While we were there three other couples that had left Marie Maria’s came into Spice because they too had been so unimpressed. This does not say much for the resort.
4. No air conditioning the entire time we were there. A little warm in Mexico.
5. Our phone in the bedroom was not working and we had to use the one in the bathroom to call out. I reported this on day one, day two reported it again, the night of day two I was upset that nothing had changed so I went to talk to the front desk and explain my concern. Day 3 it was finally fixed. I have two toddlers at home and if my family needed to reach me for an emergency, they would not have been able to.
6. There was no alarm clock in our room, no clock at all.
7. Friday was going to be our only day to hang out by the pool. You have to get up very early to reserve your spot because there are not enough chairs for everyone at the resort. After lunch we were hanging out on the lounge chairs and all of a sudden I started seeing a big bubble come out of the pool, I thought “how cool it we are about to have a fountain in the middle of the pool”. Oh no, it started bubbling more and a fountain of brown nasty water started spouting from the middle of the pool. There was brown ring that remained in the pool. Of course we were not about to get back in the pool.

Things we learned while staying there: Pelicano’s was the best food we found. It was the most normal with steak, pizza, etc. They under cook their meat so ask for it well done. We noticed this on the duck at Spice as well. When you arrive make reservations at Maria’s, they only take reservations from 8a-11a at the Gran Caribe. There will be music played in the evenings in the lobby and this can be very loud in your room but usually things calm down by 11:00. There is no ATM at this resort and you have to go to a coffee shop down the street if you need money. The location of this resort is good. You can walk to Pat O’Brien’s and Margaritaville. The beach is not that bad there is actually sand for you to lay out on. The beach beds look nothing like the ones on the website so don’t get your hopes up. The staff that brought drinks were very nice and always seemed to be around to get you anything you needed. The rooms are great and the resort is beautiful, I just feel that they opened way too early and that the management staff did not care that multiple things were going wrong on our stay and other peoples. I am not sure if they realize it or not but people are sitting around the pool complaining about their stay and when we were at the airport, the same thing was happening as well. So far the impression of the Royal is not good. Management should realize that word of mouth travels fast and they will lose a lot of future customers as a result. Their motto is “Exceeding your Expectations”, and ours were not met.

Cindy Chilcote

The Royal did a good job in meeting our expectations

by TripAdvisor Member John-LynnToronto

The previous reviews criticizing The Royal seem to be having a significant impact. Shortcomings in the service are being fixed rapidly, and while my wife and I were there (Mar 2-9), The Royal was only 30-40% occupied. There were obviously no lineups for anything.

A number of the reviews here describe the resort, restaurants, rooms, and facilities very well, so I won't bother doing the same. See Feb 28 for a good detailed report. The person reporting on Feb 25 must have reported on the wrong hotel.

I would like to make a few suggestions and comments that may be of benefit to future guests.

Although there is still significant work going on in the South-West corner around the restaurants, I don't think it is accurate to label The Royal as a "construction site". Yes there is noise, don't stay there if you are a light sleeper or need perfection, but you can minimize the noise by selecting a room between x01and x25. We were in room 827 and could hear periodic construction noise during the day, but it never impacted our rest or enjoyment of the resort. The louder construction noise appeared to be shut down at night. Avoid rooms x30 - x40 on the lower floors until the construction is complete.

There was some overnight construction on the south end of the beach as they built the 2nd wedding gazebo. It was generally very quiet with only some occassional chain saw work when they were notching the poles. The db level of the surf seemed greater than that of the saws and hammers, so we slept each night just fine with the window wide open.

There are lots of small crews working on fix-up activities around the complex. They were not a problem for us, despite the periodic use of drills.

The biggest impact of all the unfinished facilities for us was the lack of full spa facilities. The Spa is the last building still to be completed and opened. You can still get a massage in the gazebo, on a special spa deck overlooking the beach, or in your room. My wife reports that the massage staff were excellent and very knowledgable. In our previous visit to Mexico we stayed at the Secrets Capri resort in Playa de Carmen and their spa facilities were outstanding, so my wife was very disappointed when she found how limited the spa services were here. The SPAzul looks like it will be fabulous once complete. The current staff did not seem to know anything about future spa services.

When choosing a room, you can ignore the distinction of "Ocean Front" vs "Ocean View". Those terms are irrelevent. All suites have doors opening on the west overlooking the street and lagoon, and balconies overlooking the ocean. The terms "Royal Service" and the terms above and others describe the features in your suite or other services such as the use of the Mini Cooper for 1 hour, and whether or not you get an iPod etc. It is not exactly clear what you get or don't get unless you study the details in the
Royal Cancun website at [--]
The staff are also not exactly clear on what you get and don't get, so I would recommend that once you select your preferred suite, print out the "More Information" page for that suite from the website and be prepaired to discuss any shortcomings with your concierge.

There is a concierge on each floor located in one of the two elevator lobbies. We saw two individuals on our floor. The one lady we contacted was excellent to deal with. Whenever we went to see her about anything she was gracious and accomodating, but sometimes also confused about who, what, and where. She generally got things done quite quickly. When we went to see her about our bar not being restocked with those fabulous lime peanuts, she got that dealt with and had a bottle each of red and white wine and two wine glasses delivered to our room.

The staff all seem to be learning their roles and the resort. The service has a ways to go before being 5*, but eveyone we met certainly seemed to be trying and we have no doubt that they will make it. The management seems to have the right attitude towards service. For example, they have directed the staff to salute the guests by placing their right hand over their heart as they walk by. The staff also do this salute to each other. Some of them said they really like the idea and that it means welcome "from the heart".

The activities staff for Air Canada Vacations and the in-house Alamo car rental staff were far less helpful or available. The Best-Day reps on site were quite friendly and knowledgable.

The staff that try to sign you up for the 90 minute sales pitch were all charming and friendly. They advised that for listening to a 90 minute sales pitch (with a break for breakfast) you recieve a nice Real Resorts beach bag, a beach scarf, and a voucher for $500 pesos. We applied our voucher to a car rental through Alamo, getting a four door automatic Chevy for just $32 USD for the day. We also took advantage of the Mini Cooper 1 hour "test drive" to go and check out a scuba diving facility near Cancun.

The sales pitch was not troublesome for us. We had to go through 3 salespeople before we could escape. Each offered us a lower price or a more affordable package. What they offer (it is not a time share) does not work for us, so it was easy to say no, and the reasons why. Once you do that they seem to accept your reason and back off. No one was overly aggressive or offensive.
It was worth the 90 minutes for sure and we went back to thank the ladies that encouraged us to go. Each of this group of staff were very pleasant and friendly people who approached us regularly for a warm chat. It didn't seem to bother them that we didn't sign up. One of the group explained to us that the resort is still having problems hiring good quality staff, so they cannot keep up to some of the workload. Many work long hours. I suspect the same is true in the restaurants.

As reported previously, the restaurants and the food is great. I will echo the reports that the portions are smallish, and that "rare", "medium", and "well done" are not what you might expect. Be clear with the staff on what you want. Since the portions were on the small side compared to what we are used to in Canada and the US, we were encouraged to order an appetizer, soup, and dessert, something we don't often do when travelling. There is no problem with ordering multiple appetizers, which we did only once, but I still gained 3 pounds in the 7 days.

We had good and poor experiences with the restaurant staff, but never a bad experience. We went prepaired to tip well, but since we only did a repeat visit to the Maria Maria, it didn't impact our service. We did go to the Spice buffet each morning for breakfast where we didn't tip as much, and the Pelicanos beach restaurant for lunch where we sometimes forgot to bring enough pesos. In neither case did it impact our service the next day.

The staff do appear confused and inexperienced from time to time and one fellow in Maria Maria was talking to himself after leaving each table. He seemed to be criticizing himself for another mistake. We overheard a lady complaining to the maitre de on the way out that they waited over two hours for their meal and it was served cold. I just don't understand that. The restaurants were only half full and there was always someone available to complain to if needed. In both the Asiana and Maria Maria (with Taxos Pinxos and Chef's Plate adjoining) there were two young fellas running around in all white suits and a wire in their ear. There were separate head waiters and servers. These fellas (one each in the two buildings) would visit your table for a chat, assist the servers in delivering food, and other such duties.
They were very charming and friendly and appeared to resolve problems that you might bring to their attention. There was no excuse for tolerating bad service. Some patience for the new staff is appropriate, but don't let it impact your enjoyment of the fine restaurants for too long without saying something.

We went to Marias at the Grand Caribe Real one night, and it was our poorest dining experience. The service was OK, but the food was disappointing. We enjoyed the Chef's Plate the best and were particularly charmed by our waiter and server who spent their spare moments teaching us some basic expressions in Mayan, which we used with great pleasure on other unsuspecting staff.

As others have reported the GCR is overrun with younger people who are their for a lower cost good time. The pool area was full and noisy each time we were there. The furniture in the lobby looked like it had been overused by your teenagers and all their sloppy friends. It appeared that way over half of the suites there have no view of the ocean. These two sister resorts will likely do an ongoing scheme of overbooking the GCR and upgrading to The Royal. It may be worth it to go this way if the upgrade price is low or free compared to the book directly at the Royal price. If you do so, then prepare yourself with all of the suite information at the Royal as described above.

Another item you should prepare yourself with is rubber soled shoes that would be suitable for the beach, lobby, and your room. As reported previously, the beach sand is full of shells, even in the sand filled terraces above the beach, and during the time we were there the resort was not doing much cleanup of the beach. We did see one fellow with a large garbage bag picking up stuff one day, and another one raking on another day, but the Royal's beach was not as clean as their neighbours. We did not find the beach small compared to the neighbours. The south end is quite wide and was never crowded.

It was fun to watch guests from other resorts walk by The Royal along the beach. Many stopped to take pictures or look in awe at the size of the Royal. It is awesome and beautiful from the beach side with the white stucco, iron rails, and blue glass windows. It is hard to get a good picture that reflects the scale and beauty of the hotel without an appropriate camera lense.

It looks like the Towel Game complaints got addressed on our last day. We noticed they were laying out rolled-up towels on every chair. The chair hogs would now have to leave something other than a towel to reserve their chairs.

The marble floors everywhere are stunning as previously described, but can also be a hazard. Lots of people walking around with drinks can leave a wet spot to slip on. Ditto for the suites. Again I would suggest rubber soled shoes (Crocks?) for safety, especially if you are older or not steady on your feet.

There is another trap waiting to get you as you return from dinner. As you enter the foyer from the outside restaurant steps, you have a tendancy to look up at the chandeliers in the long hallway in front of you or to the right to see the activity in the exercise rooms. You may miss the two steps about 12 feet from the entrance. I did once and went for an ungracefull spill/recovery and I had to stop my wife twice from doing the same. This is the only hallway with such a step, so you really are not expecting it anyway and it is in the perfect spot to catch you while distracted. I advised one of the hostesses to bring this to management attention and to put a sign over the steps in your line of site. Let me know if you see such a sign. We saw one lady on crutches who apparently fell victim to these steps.

We also met a man at dinner with four stitches in his head who fell victim to the leaky shower doors and wet marble floor. He slipped on the wet marble and fell through the glass wall when getting out of the shower. As reported previously many of the shower doors leaked due to an improper rubber seal on the hinge side of the door. Our room had this and it left about a 1/4 inch gap when the door was closed. You can avoid problems by turning the 5 headed jets away from the door. About 4 days into our stay, we returned from an outing and found the hinge side seal had been replaced with the proper one.

We also received the Sony Clock-Radio one day and the curtains over the bed. Ice machines were installed on both ends of our floor while there. Our A/C was fine throughout, but others were still having problems. We did not receive the turn down service for the first few days, but that started up one day without us asking. We were so in love with the Jacuzzi that we didn't really think about the turndown service, the chocolates, or pillow art. We went to the Coffee House and VIP Lounge each night to get a large brandy sniffer full of strawberries, ice cream, chocolate fondue, and Bailey's to take to our room for the jacuzzi. Who needs a maid to interupt that?

If the maid decided to do her thing while you were enjoying your jacuzzi, the deadbolt on the door wouldn't stop her. It opens along with the normal latch for anyone with a legitimate door card. ie. You cannot lock yourself in the room for the night. Poor.

Others have complained about the cold water in the 5 headed shower. There's a trick which we had to have the floor concierge show us. There are 3 cylinder type controls that regulate the water flow(2) and temperature(1). Each has a large cyclinder handle and a smaller cylinder "pointer" to indicate your setting. The pointer on the temperature control has to be pulled toward you when raising the temperature above the midway point. ie. to get hot water. Once you get that figured out, this shower is a dream, with lots of hot water and pressure.

A final tip, we forgot about being elligable for an iPod and there was none waiting in our room. I think the staff did not know that our room was a Royal Junior Suite Oceanfront and we seemed to be getting Junior Suite Oceanview services. Thus my suggestion above. Our suite has an isolated balcony (with walls on both sides for privacy) while the Oceanviews have adjoining balconys where you could be sitting face to face with your neighbour.

The iPod didn't bother us since we had both brought our own MP3 players for beach use, although they would not work with the Bose units. We had brought along some CDs for the room and the ones recorded as MP3 on CD-R Data disks worked great although there was no tone controls on the Bose units and there audio range or that of the small speakers seemed rather narrow. Our WMA format CDs were not recognized by the Bose, and we did not bring any commercial music CDs. The FM antenna was not connected to the player so all we could get was one Spanish language channel. While out in the rental car we did not find any FM channels that played our kind of music, so if you want to listen to "your music" while enjoying the jacuzzi , then I would suggest taking it with you. We had 15 hours of Spa music on one CD (the Masseuse loved it) and 15 hours of Blues on the other. All of our Classic Rock and Pop was in WMA format CDs and useless, but we had these tunes covered on our MP3 players. We did not have a proper cable to connect our MP3 players to the Bose unit. It appeared that it would accomodate headphone to RCA jack connection from the MP3 player. The TV needs a special adapter for iPod.

I have attached some pictures that may be informative for you. I would love to see a picture of the SPAzul Jacuzzis when they are finally completed. They look like they will be gorgeous.

I hope you find some of this info helpful for your planning for a stay at The Royal. If you are well prepared, have a friendly attitude and patience, tip generously, and can overlook some annoyances, I am sure you will enjoy your stay at this soon to be outstanding resort.

Will be great but not for 6 months

by TripAdvisor Member HauteTraveler

We were transferred trom the Gran Caribe to the Royal (right next door) due to overbooking on February 2nd. The Royal, while beautiful was not even close to finished. Our room was beautiful but the mini bar was not working, nor were the phones. Half the pool was not done (no water in it) and half of the hotel was not even open. Only 2 restaurants were operational, the front desk wasn't even built (they were using make shift desks) and the lobby was cordonned off with caution tape due to roof leaks. Their website only has 1 photo in the photo gallery and there is a reason why. Give it 6-8 months and this will be a beautiful hotel but in the short term I would not recommend it.

This resort needs more time, it has problems to work out

I guess ones thoughts on this resort will depend on how much you paid, what you are comparing it to, and the biggest is whether you have what you paid for re air conditioning. We just spent a week from the 25 Feb - 4 Mar with absolutely no air and it was hot for sleeping and trying to dress for dinner, the only two times we were in our room. By mid week when we quit asking for our air conditioner to be fixed and instead asked to be moved to another room we found out the whole resort was having a problem including the a la carte restaurants. Now maybe the lack of air clouded my whole opinion on this resort but I just didn't see anything over and above while we were there. The other big problem is the towel game is played here to a new standard. People are up very early and not just saving chairs for themselves but double and triple. We sat on our balcony at 7:30AM and watched this foolishness and a lot of this saved prime real estate went unused the whole day. Shade is very limited and is usually saved if it is being used or not. The first few days we moved to the beach when we were ready for some shade as there were tons of cabanas along the beach. Thurs the hotel put reserved signs on each cabana. So now a few of the upgraded rooms have a cabana reserved on the beach and for everyone else there is no shade to be had unless you go down towards the Gran Caribe side and lay under the massage deck. This trip is the most we have ever paid so I was expecting more. Everyone says you get what you pay for, well that isn't always true. In Jan we went to Excellence Punta Cana. We paid a little more than half of what this trip cost and there we felt like they couldn't do enough for us. There was absolutely nothing but a perfect vacation waiting for us at Excellence and it was stressfree and relaxing. Another example our room contained none of the extras such as slippers, snacks, robes etc. I mentioned this to the concierge, nothing was ever brought. At Excellence we had the same problem, the next time we went to our room everything had arrived. I never mentioned this at The Royal again because I was concentrating my efforts on the air getting fixed. OK I have vented enough if you are still with me I will move on. The rooms are beautiful. The pictures we saw before we went did not do them justice. They are probably the nicest rooms I have ever seen and each has a view of the ocean. They are large and spacious. The lobby is gorgeous. The pools especially the infinity truly breathtaking. The workers although at times seemed short staffed tried to please and mostly the service was good. The dress attire was very casual for evenings. Men wore mostly shorts and sandals and woman mostly jean shorts and runners. I have never seen such casual attire and hadn't packed for it so I stuck with casual capris like I always wear. Four signs were placed around the Lobby bar while we were there. The signs designated on each end and on each side Martini bar, Tequila and Cigar, Wine and Lobby bar. Guess all those that sounded like different bars come under the lobby bar. The food is all presented in an attractive classy way. The portions are generally small but we never went hungry. We enjoyed Pelicanos because it was oceanfront we appreciated the cool breeze. The steak at Pelicanos was the best meal we had. Asiana was a little confusing at first as we are not big into Japanese but the food was very good. All other meals were ok. At Maria Marie's they quietly tell you they will bring you surf and turf. We asked if this was included and were told yes but a bigger tip wouldn't hurt (can't remember the exact words but this was what was implied). We didn't order it that night but another night went back and again was quietly offered surf and turf, this time we ordered asking for two lobster tails and no steak. This was a big deal and the waiter had to go ask finally he said yes that could be arranged. We wondered why this was not on the menu, and why it was being offered in such a way that you thought they were doing you a big favor. We enjoyed breakfast at Pelicanos where we ordered two eggs over easy. It was nice to be served breakfast and the fruit cups are picture perfect. There is almost no junk food at this resort so we found ourselves at the beach buffet at the Gran Caribe a couple times for lunch where you could get a good old hot dog, hamburger, fries and soft ice cream. There were bands every night playing mostly mellow type music. The beach is narrow and the water rough the whole week. The sand has crushed shells mixed in so can be a little hard underfoot. In summary if you got a great deal or upgraded chances are you will like this place. If you paid a lot of money as we did you will probably feel you didn't get your moneys worth beyond the lack of air conditioning (which is difficult to get beyond) I just didn’t see anything offered above and beyond. Their motto is Exceeding your expectations, mine weren’t meant.

First class experience at The Royal

by TripAdvisor Member H3nry

We just returned on March 4th from a week’s stay at The Royal and it was great! Believe the reviewers who tell you to go – this is a beautiful hotel with fantastic service and food.

Most of the other reviewers have described the beauty of this place, so I’ll share some tips on selecting a room. We used the online check-in and selected our room that way and fortunately made a great choice. There is still some construction going on around the outside perimeter of the complex (and they begin about 7:00 a.m.). The entrance to the room is from an open air hallway. As a result, construction noise from the outside can probably be heard in most rooms – but not in the Presidential Suite. We chose this one bedroom suite which not only is huge and beautiful, it also has a separate bedroom with a door that can be closed and as result, we never heard construction noise in that room. The air conditioning unit was a little loud too, which also tends to drown out noise. We could hear some construction noise in the living room though – but it wasn’t constant or that annoying. If you can, upgrade to this type of room. I’m told there are 10 of them at the hotel. It even comes with a reserved cabana right on the beach.

Now about selecting the room location. Most of the outside construction is happening on the south side of the complex, so I would avoid rooms ending in the number 30 and higher. Also, floors 2, 3, and 4 in the middle of the hotel open into the atrium/lobby and each night there is live entertainment in the atrium, so I imagine that noise is heard in those rooms, so you may want to avoid those rooms. Rooms ending in 11 and 29 are right by the elevators.

You’ll be glad you selected this hotel. They have the best staff. They’re friendly, attentive and most speak good English. I don’t know why some reviewers said it was dirty. Housekeeping did a wonderful job in our room daily and we saw the hotel being maintained continually in all areas. We really enjoyed our stay and think you will too. A first class hotel!

Magnificent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Jetsetgirl27

This resort is a brand new luxury adults only all inclusive resort.
Absolutely beautiful. Every room has a full oceanview, with a jacuzzi for 2, plasma tv, cd/dvd player, thee most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! And the shower even has a view of the ocean. Food is great and you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to make sure you have a reservation for dinner because no reservations are required. If you wanna feel extra special or going on your honeymoon, then I would book a swim-up suite with the royal service. Very, very romantic! I have been to Cancun over a dozen times and I would highly recommend this resort.

Fantastic Time at the Royal In Cancun

by TripAdvisor Member travelerjsw

This brand new all-inclusive resort in the hotel zone in Cancun is spectacular! The rooms are spacious, each one with a double jacuzzi and balcony with hammock AND table/chairs. The food was excellent--we even had steak and lobster for dinner at The Chef's Plate with no surcharge. The location of this hotel is outstanding--gorgeous beach, outstanding pool, and within walking distance of shopping and attractions. The staff are very friendly and helpful. What a great experience that will only get better!!

Swim with Dolphins through Royal Cancun Hotel

by fluxduster

We recently booked a trip staying at the Royal Cancun Hotel for this May. Included with the trip is a free swim with the dolphins. I was wondering if anyone else has booked this same trip and can tell me where they take you to do the swim with the dolphins. Was it a hassle to claim this free gift? Was it fun, enjoyable, etc,...
Any details you could provide would be appreciated.
Thanks

Re: Swim with Dolphins through Royal Cancun Hotel

by YVRDave

I'm sure it is a Time Share gift so, would it be a hassle? Only if you find a time share proposal a hassle.

Re: Swim with Dolphins through Royal Cancun Hotel

by Odinnthor

I do not think this is a time share proposal, as the Royal Cancun is an all inclusive hotel/resort. I am assuming that you are talking about the Gran Carib Real Resort, also called the The Royal.

If that is indeed where you booked, there shoul;d not be any problems with claiming this freebe. Here is a look at the "Swimming with the Dolphins" program in Cancun.

Have fun and don't worry too much......d:o)

Comments