Le Meridien Cancun Resort and Spa

Retorno del Rey Lot 37-1, Km 14, Zona Hotelera, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula, 77500, Mexico

Otel.com Priceline.com Hotelsclick.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Terrible Stay!!!

The pool is beautiful but there is no sun after 2 pm due to the hotel being built next door. A staff member damaged our personal property and the "manager " blamed us for it, that is after a dozen phone calls and him passing the incident to an assistant manger. One more thing, apparently a dignitary arrived in the suite next to us the day after we got there. We spent the entire stay with security guards holding machine guns outside of our room the entire time. We were there on our honeymoon 10 years earlier and had the best time ever. I guess you can't go back.

• chrisruns's Profile Photo

Nice accomodations

Le Meriden was nice, but when we were stuck there due to a storm in the U.S. which did no allow us to travel back, they were not able to accomodate us due to our room being previously reserved by others. I know they could not help it, but I would have appreciated a bit help in finding different options than what we experienced.

Unique Quality: It had a nice pool, but the restaurant was overpriced and not special in quality. The beach was closed off and smaller than usual due to construction.

More about Le Meridien Cancun Resort and Spa

5 star quality at Le Meridien

Fantastic Hotel, 5 star rating is deserved. We stayed 27 July for 1 week. I was surprised to read some reviews complaining about the prices of the Spa treatments, when staying in a 5 star hotel you expect expensive prices, I had a facial which was fantastic worth the $95, wonderful spa facilities. The only fault I could say was too busy at breakfast not enough staff, so we just skipped breakfast in the restaurant and ordered room service at an extremely reasonable price.

Enjoyed the Meridien

Le Meridien was the highlight of our trip. Cancun is beautiful, we were blessed with excellent weather and the Mayan Ruins are well worth the trip. However, Cancun is way too touristy and Americanized. The locals while never hostile, are often pushy like used-cars salesmen. The food is too expensive but since we were prepared to spend, it didn't bother us. The restaurants we went to are wonderful - La Brisa, La Madonna, La Dolce Vita, Aoli ( in Meridien), Mango Tango. There were a couple of episodes that blemished our trip (read our cancun reivew about the scams of kioks selling sight-seeing trips - Buyers Beware the operator KTV which stands for Kiddie Travel Vacation. There are numerous complaints against them). However, its is such a refuge to come back to a quiet, elegant, clean room with friendly staff and a turned-down bed.
Le Meridien is very intimate and personal. The concierge service is excellent. They make great recommendations, timely reservations and provided little extras like welcome drinks, express lines at clubs, free appetizers at restaurants etc. The hotel is decorated very elegantly with marble and fresh flowers. Nothing too flashy. The people who stay there probably appreciate the European style that favors refinement over showiness. The swimming pools are exquisite, the beach is soft and free of blemishes. The ocean is like an endless sapphire.
Our room is on the 7th floor, facing the pool and ocean. We didn't have to pay extra for it, but we did wait a couple of hours since we arrived early. The wait was worth it. We started our stay with a couples massage, and it was heavenly. It was my husband's first time, and he enjoyed it tremendously. We've stayed at many 5 stars hotels in different countries, but Le Meridien Cancun is top of its class. Its sophisticated but welcoming to a young couple like us. We enjoyed our stay so much that we spent all the $1 usd bills we brought, and we had over 80 of those!

Quite Pleasurable but with minor problems!

Just came back from Le Meridien Cancun August 7-10. We had gone there expecting thunderstorms but were blessed with wonderful weather!! I recommend anyone who goes there to go through Olympus Tours- they were extremely courteous and friendly and we paid $8.00/person to our hotel.
It helps from having to pay costly taxi fees, and also people trying to haggle you to buy trips for real cheap at the airport - don't fall for them.. many are timeshare presentations or scams- so just go directly out of the airport and Olympus Tours will guide you safely to your hotel. Upon arriving at our hotel at 2pm, our hotel room was not ready and I had requested an odd number room which have both ocean and pool views. They told us the room we requested (Room 531) was not available, so they offered us room 627 which was not ready for check in. They told us to please come back at 3pm- so we decided to eat at St. Trop for lunch (Ok food- and a bit pricey!) and came back at 3pm- and our room was still not available. We spoke to the manager Raoul who advised us that our room was not ready, but that another room (an even numbered room) was available. So we argued with him for a bit asking why our room was not ready when an hour prior, they knew we wanted a certain room.. he advised us that they were having housekeeping problems which makes no sense because why wasn't our room ready and yet one that had no one checking into it was ready?! The manager was really unaccomadating and finally i had to argue and yell with him and he offered us free breakfast in the Royal Club room (we had asked him to cover our $50.00 lunch tab at St. Trop which he said he could not do).
So we had to wait yet another hour for our room to be ready... in the meantime we went to the Olympus Tours office at the hotel and booked some trips. Olympus Tours is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED- all of their employees are wonderful and so cordial! WE booked the Tulum & Xel Ha waterpark tour- interesting and a fun day in the sun! And we also booked a tour with Aquaworld for a Jungle tour which turned out to be horrible because one of their tour guides was simply rude and perverted and when asked to speak to the manager at Aquaworld - he didn't do anything except offer an apology.. so we went back to Olympus Tours, told them what happened, and without question they immediately reimbursed us for the jungle tour and filed a report against Aquaworld. The Beaches in cancun are wonderful! so clean and so blue! Le Meridien has excellent pools and one of the pools is a hot tub and they have many places you can just lounge around. Some restaurants we went to that had great mexican food were La Distelleria (Tequila museum also) and Ok Maguey - where they made us our own tequila bottle with our picture on it (they get you with those tourism tactics!). We had teh Mexican Buffet at Le Meridien on Friday night where they also have a Mariachi band.. but I DO NOT recommend it as the food is not that great at all! I recommend that you take some pesos with you as they try to get you with the conversion rate! You can pay with dollars almost anywhere but they'll give you back pesos instead which is actually a lot more less value. I think it was about 10.30 pesos = $1.00 so virtually they would divide everything by 10. Cancun is a very commercialized place but very fun and well worth it just for the beaches!

Beautiful

My sister and I went to Cancun in Sept. 2001. We actually took the first flight out when the president lifted the plane grounding. Our pilot was excellent. Cancun's beaches are beautiful!!! Le Meridien is a gorgeous hotel. The staff was very nice and helpful. WE LOVED THE ENTIRE EXPERIENCE!

Simply Wonderful....

My sister and I stayed at the Le Meridien 7/24-7/28/03 and had a wonderful time. We arrived early and were given the first room that was available since the staff was trying to accomodate us. Fortunately for us, the room was on the Penthouse level and had a breathtaking view of both the lagoon and the ocean! It was great going to sleep at night to the sound of the waves crashing against the shore and we were blessed with beautiful weather. The staff was extremely friendly, courteous, and helpful. The complimentary slippers and robe were a nice touch. The hotel is elegantly decorated, and the room was smaller than expected, but comfortable and cozy. The food was expensive and just ok. I read another review about not being impressed with the spa.....I'm not sure what they were referring to because the full body massage was by far one of the things I enjoyed most about Le Meridien (and I've had several massages in my lifetime myself). In fact, 15 minutes into it I regretted not going for the 90-minute. After the massage, I spent some time in the aromatherapy sauna and the jacuzzi. We didn't get a chance to sit in the steam room. Probably the biggest inconvenience was avoiding the exorbitant phone charges by having to use a calling card to make calls at a payphone a few feet up the street from the hotel. My cellphone did not work there, though I was told by another guest that she didn't have any problems using her cellphone. We used the bus to go everywhere. It's only 60cents (6 pesos) to go anywhere in Cancun, and from what we saw it's pretty much just a long strip so you can't really get lost. For the mature crowd (27+), I would recommend going to Glazz nightclub if you want to avoid the loud, annoying, and obnoxious youngsters. Nice mellow atmosphere with a separate lounge and dance area. All and all I was very pleased.

telephone users beware the greedy meridien

my 13 year old daughter and i spent an unhappy christmas week at this over rated and overpriced hotel-- although the suite was quite nice--the service level was poor in the hotel and at the restaurants--pool service was laughable--however i did not laugh when presented my final bill i suffered a terrible experience as a result of phone charges--the hotel never divulged the outrageous add-on phone charges--i did expect a "connection charge" but never anticipated a $1200.phone bill--for 2to 3 calls to the us each day-- the hotels attitude toward my grievance was unsatifactory--i will not return to any meridien

By No Means A First Class Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member NikiC

The place is nice looking, we were on the 6th floor partial ocean view small terrace. Room was nice size, however, the bed spread and pillows reeked of a fowl odor...which gave the entire room a poor smell (like B.O.) It is quite noisey, I guess because of all the marble. We travel alot and I don't mind spending top dollar but expect the best. I have been to many Spas and had more massages than the average person....this place advertizes a world class spa...ugh NO. It was the most expensive $110 but the worst I have ever had. I was tempted to see the manager but I felt bad for the person. It was really bad! The spa itself was small and the robes they provide were awful...I am not a large woman size 10 and I could not wrap myself. All in all it wasn't bad but not for what they charge.

Nice place but way too expensive

This is a small hotel when compared to the ones near it. The entrance is unimpressive but the inside is elegantly decorated and has marble everywhere. Our room was on the 3rd floor and had a partial ocean view and overlooked the gorgeous pools. The room was smaller than I was hoping for but cozy. Nice bathroom. We had requested for the Royal Club service which gave us access to breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvre on the 6th floor. The view from the Royal Club room is magneficient. You can see both the lagoon and the ocean while enjoying the delicate snacks and sipping on martinis. The wait staff was always there to serve and always pleasant and non-intrusive. Also do not forget to experience the hotel's famous spa. It is $10/day but you'll probably end up spending at least 1-2 hours in there (that's without getting a treatment!)

The only thing that kept me from giving the hotel a 5/5 rating was that instead of charging us the quoted rate, we had to pay a $100 extra for the 3rd person in the room, even though the hotel had told us otherwise before arrival. For nearly $400/night, I would definitely rather be staying at the Ritz Carlton next door.

Marriott Casamagna or Le Meridien?

by mikeinmexico

I will be traveling to Cancun on business later this month for a little over a week.

My wife and son will be traveling w/ me, given a choice between the Marriott Casamagna or Le Meridien Cancun, which would you choose and why?

Regards,
M.

Re: Marriott Casamagna or Le Meridien?

by ragatzzabella

The truth for me, it's that there is hardly a big difference between both hotels.....
most of the hotels in cancun of high budget has almost the same and are located same ave.
So just look for some special thing you will like and pick one....plus the real fun in cancun is the beach, the ocean, food and shopping.......that has nothing to do with the hotel you pick.
Have a nice time!

Re: Marriott Casamagna or Le Meridien?

by anagrettel

Marriot is in The center of all mallls and night places as much as I remember, I don't really know any of this but know are expensive both.
But if is a bussiness travel (your company pay) with Marriott you could have points and have a free hotel day in a future.
My husband often use it in bussiness and on vacations we enjoy the points!!!

Comments