Cancún Hotels

Our Members Say

• mutiny33 profile photo mutiny33

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Gran Melia Cancun: Beware Of $40,000+ Credit Card Fraud

I stayed at the Gran Melia Hotel Cancun in December of 2011.

The hotel was nice but the construction of the place is a bit clunky. The bathroom shower is impossible to use. The button that switches the faucet to shower is usually corroded so a hotel employee needs to come in and spray some lubricant to get it working. This happened in 2 rooms. Throughout the room you'll notice weird layouts. For example a small step into the bathroom that you'll trip on and another small 3 inch step from the entrance. Like most resorts they nickel and dime you on everything. The wifi is 23 bucks a day. The taxi cabs at the entrance charge an extra fee and so on.

All this was not enough for me to merit a review until the day I checked out of the hotel. I came home to find that someone at the hotel tried to charge $40000+ on the credit card I used to register at the hotel. I used it nowhere else at the hotel so it had to have been someone at the front desk who used my credit card number. What makes this an even bigger outrage is the lack of customer service contact to resolve the issue. I tried calling the gran melia 800 line to get through to the hotel management in Cancun but instead was sent to the Sol-Melia regional corporate headquarters in Miami, Florida: 305-350-9828.

Try calling them and getting through to customer service. The automated phone service hangs up on you when you try to connect to customer service. I then tried contacting their sales department. Of course there is someone willing to answer the phone and I told them about my problem. The sales associate informed me that NOBODY works in customer service. I left a voicemail with a corporate manager and have yet to get a return. My only resolution is to post this as a warning to future customers instead.

• Written January 5, 2012

• jayarby profile photo jayarby

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Gran Melia Cancun: Nice place but....

We just recently returned from a stay at the Gran Melia Cancun in June. We booked a room with a lagoon view, all-inclusive plan. The huge hotel complex is beautiful with pyramid architecture, although a little aged and in need of some maintenance. The lobby with its hanging vines, and fish pools is beautiful but not air conditioned. It tends to get really humid. The staff is excellent. I read reports of rude employees at the front desk but I didn't encounter any. Our room was of decent size, though not fancy. But frankly I didn't spend much time there anyway. The maid service was excellent. There are several nice swimming pools to choose from with plenty of chairs but if you want the prime seats, you'll need to get up early to put your towels on them. The restaurants range from buffet to fancy. The quality of the food is average to very good. The beach is large but the surf tends to be rough. The negatives: The resort is large and you have to do a lot of walking. There is basically no nightlife, so if you want entertainment you have to catch a bus to go to the bars/dance clubs. Plus, it's a long walk to get the main street to catch a bus. The beach bar closes around 5:00pm and the pool bar around 7:00pm so that leaves the small lobby bar as the only one left open. I think that's too early. And because not all guests opt for the All-Inclusive plan, everyone has to sign for everything. My main complaint with the resort is that its all-inclusive plan isn't really "all-inclusive". The plan has many limitations that you are unaware of until you get there. For instance, room service is included but you have to pay a delivery fee. Some items on the menu are an extra charge(premium beef/lobster). Playing the golf course is included, but there's club rental. The spa is included but massages are extra. Some minibar items are included but not others (coffee, premium bottled water). Too many times I had to be sure I wasn't charged for something. When I'm on vacation, I don't want to have to think. :) So overall, while this was a very nice resort and I had a good time there, I'm probably one and done with the Gran Melia. There are plenty of comparable resorts for the same price with better AI plans.

The lobby area with its towering hanging vines and fish pools. The pyramid architecture. Nice swimming pools. Great beach.

• Written July 6, 2011

• Bill.McPhail profile photo Bill.McPhail
  • Reviews: 2

Resort and SPA: Sando Resort & Spa

Fun for the whole family all inclusive resort! Sandos Caracol Beach Resort & Spa has a lovely beach front location. The accommodations consist of 778 guest rooms and Jr. Suites in 78 three story buildings. Enjoy multiple swimming pools, food and drink venues, activities, Spa, water sports, evening theatre and more, all in a natural setting featuring lagoon waterways, verdant greenery and meandering paths leading to the accommodation buildings and service areas of the resort. Sandos Caracol all inclusive resort is an exceptional value for your money. The food is great, loved eating in the large dinning room.

My wife and I spent our honeymoon there, it's was a great, great vacation.

The Sandos Caracol Beach Resort & Spa is on a large tract of land alongside an exotic jungle, surrounded by luxurious vegetation, where you can discover all the beauty of the Mexican Caribbean. Great views, Great Pool and beautiful grounds.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Eco-Tourism, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written July 2, 2011
Tip Photo

The resort is on the Riviara

• veronicaadamovici profile photo veronicaadamovici

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Gran Melia Cancun: Very disapointed

We just came back from Gran Melia in Cancun after we stayed for 7 days 28 Dec 2010 through 4 January 2011.
It was our second time visiting Cancun and we were very disapointed by their service, location and food.We had the All inclusive package and we were sorry that we paid so much for what they offered. The food at the bufet was bad, on the terrace was better but you had to wait a long time for somebody to take the orders.We tried several times to book reservation at the Tempo restaurant and every time we were told that it has been booked already and to try for the next day. Fianlly I got to talk to a manager there and they let us dinne in there. If you are all inclusive the service is bad because they want to serve better the people with no inclusive to get better tips. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anybody that has been before to a different resort in Cancun.
The beach is beautiful but there are no umbrellas at all on the beach and no servers.If you want to have a drink to have to go by the pool and order one.
They do not have AC in the lobby so it is hot most of the time.
I will never go back.....

• Written January 6, 2011

• Dolphinrider profile photo Dolphinrider

www,artdecosuites.com: A Real Oasis in Downtown Cancun

I rented a furnished studio for a 6 month stay in cancun. Everything was impeccably clean and of high quality; from the flat screen TV to the Egyptian cotton sheets. The broadband connection was excellent and I never felt like I was in the heart of downtown Cancun, as the studios give out to a beautifully landscaped courtyard. Everything was just a short walk away, from Walmart to varied shopping and restaurants. At only $400 a month (about $13.00 a night) It was a real bargain.

The building is a beautiful Art Deco jewel. The studios are small, yet luxurious and spotlessly clean. Everything is provided - linens, towels, a fridge, coffee maker and microwave, as wella as a flat panel TV with cable and an excellent Wi-Fi internet connection.

• Related to: Business Travel, Budget Travel, Women's Travel
  • Written August 2, 2010

• oldguy472003 profile photo oldguy472003
  • Reviews: 12

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ocean Turquesa By H10: H10 Ocean Turquesa Mayan Riviera Marvelous!

I just returned from spending Christmas at the Ocean Turquesa by H10. It is about 20 minutes south of the Cancun Airport just North of Puerto Morales. I could not recomend highly enough. Ala Carte restaurants include Japanese, Italian, Mexican, and a sports Bar, there are Two Pool Bars, and a huge buffet. Four pools in total including a pool just for the kids club which is staffed by wonderful folks who take great care of the little ones. We paid 1325. Canadian for high season (Christmas) per adult For a package from Toronto you could probably get it cheaper. We had a suite on the top floor with ocean view. Top floor balconies are open to the sky. We rented a car and drove around for four days. I found the drivers a bit erratic but OK, even in Cancun.
If you haven't been to the caribean before be prepared for moistness and a damp smell if you use air conditioning. best option is to turn it off as soon as you arrive and allow the breeze from the ocean cool you. This really is one of the nicest places we have visited and would return in a heartbeat.

Beautiful Beach, Excellent food, Awesome lobbies and common areas open to the breeze. Live entertainment.
A bit quiet for hard partiers, great for young families.

• Related to: Water Sports, Family Travel
  • Written January 3, 2009
Tip Photo

The Activity planning staff are Great!

• spitcurl profile photo spitcurl
Downtown Budget Hotels

Hotel Alux is near the bus station downtown Cancun, and quoted us 410 pesos per night. http://www.hotelalux.com

Xbalamque has gotten great reviews, also downtown, and has beach club access, a pool, restaurant, spa, bookstore, etc. Slightly higher prices but I still saw as low as $55 USD quoted online for some dates coming up soon.

Hotels we've contacted directly seem to work on the honor system for reservations, (they confirm by email vaguely, but have taken no deposit), and if you fear getting forgotten somehow and want a guarantee, then the higher priced hotels you book online might be a better option.

(Have not gone to either yet, so this is a placeholder tip until we get there!)

• Written December 18, 2008

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Many good deals in off-season there, late spring+: Different times of the year for Cancun - best?

If you want to avoid hurricanes, then the middle of July to the beginning of Nov. is somewhat risky. The prices are great, then, however! It is hot, then, also! The earlier summer is hot, but if you don't mind it, the water is nice and warm, and it's not as crowded as winter, and somewhat cheaper, and no chance of hurricanes (like in June). The winter and spring are lovely, but more crowded and expensive. You can get some good deals in late spring, and you don't have the worry of a hurricane- you can see some average temperatures, rain, and humidity for different times of the year, and some great deals at this site for different times of the year, it might help you decide when to go- www.beachcondocancun.com/thingstodo.asp It also has activity and other information about traveling there that might help you in your traveling. Good luck!

There are some great deals on some accomodations- especially in off-season- like right now! You can find some great deals, the flights are more expensive, and tourism is off! Fall has some great low rates from $55/nt.+ for oceanfront complexes, on the hotel zone, on up. The condos listed have gorgeous beaches, pools, a/c, kitchens or kitchenettes, most are in the hotel zone, some are near the "hot spots", and much more! They are condos, with the ability to fix your own food, and save alot of money, instead of eating out all the time. Eating in Cancun is expensive, when you only eat out! I know of studios to penthouses at great rates- try www.beachcondocancun.com, and they even have last minute rates from 5-20% off the low regular rates!

• Related to: Water Sports, Family Travel, Budget Travel

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Water Sports

• Related to: Water Sports, Family Travel, Budget Travel

• leigh767 profile photo leigh767
  • Reviews: 295

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hostel Haina: Good option

The private rooms in this hostel are almost as good as a hotel room. Although there wasn't any hot water when we initally checked in, the fixed the boiler problem so I really can't complain much about this place. Internet here costs USD 1/hour.

The breakfast here is somewhat in buffet style and includes toast, bread of the day (such as croissant), orange juice, coffee and milk.

Dorm beds are about USD 10/night.

Hostels are generally the best places to meet well-travelled people from all over the world. This hostel doesn't disappoint either and I still keep in touch with my friends here.

• Related to: Work Abroad, Study Abroad, School Holidays
  • Written January 14, 2008

• toogoodtbt profile photo toogoodtbt

Ultra Suite - 16th Floor Condo: Sky Villa - Bay View Grand / Portofino

We thought it was like heaven and better than any resort.

The pool was quiet and gorgeous with Infinity Edges and azure blue pools matching the ocean.

The kitchen was new, very complete, stainless steel and granite

We felt we got Six Star accomodations at Four Star prices,
less than half of what a Five Star cost us last year, and we usually stay get huge upgrades. This was much nicer than we even expected.

Like having a multi million dollar villa with a luxury kitchen and all the frills and amenities
the perks were far past our expectations,

great service, like the airport greeting and great personal attention, great service overall.

We have already booked for next year.

It was much bigger than expected, with unequalled 300 degree views above eveything, like nothing we had ever seen litterally floating in azure blue.

we usually stay at the JW Marriott but some features we have never seen in a 5 star.

Excellent beds that are better or equal to the best US quality.
The high thread count sheets were fantastic and we had not seen anywhere else.

Free WIFI, free internet, free computers, so we did not have to find a business center, because they had everything including printers and faxes.

Our teenagers, loved the XBOX and games, and huge collection of DVDs. This was important because we did not want them out all night. So the kids had lots to do with I think 5 flat screens and 200 channels, mostly english with HBO.

We loved having a washer dryer, so we had clean clothes all the time.

Wonderful Airport Pick Up and Greeting Services.
Excellent maids services.
Brilliant night time views.
Excellent Air Conditioning.
Washer Dryer.

They even faxed us a shopping list so we could have food there as we arrived, but
just having water, sodas, and even a beer there after a long trip was like nothing we can describe. Just could not believe how comfortable and happy we were to arrive and how well the staff took care of us.

The Sky Villas manager was outstanding, highly available and took care of everything.
They left menus so we could order everything we wanted, and we kept leftovers available all the time.

• Related to: Family Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written November 25, 2007

Glass Walls that Dissappear

• Darkeyedgirl profile photo Darkeyedgirl
  • Reviews: 48

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Aventura Spa Palace All-Inclusive: THE spot for couples/Honeymooners/privacy!

I highly, totally, whole-heartedly recommend Aventura Spa Palace ("ASP") to ANY couple who wants to get away from "the everyday" and above all, to anyone considering this spot for a honeymoon.

We chose ASP for so many reasons: the massive pool; huge PERFECT lagoon; 7 restaurants; many many many bars; excellent rooms!;, ADULTS ONLY; and well, it was recommended by our travel agent as a great Honeymooners getaway.

Upon check in, you are given champagne and flowers. Taken to your room right away (we were, anyway). There is a shuttle that takes guests from the North Lobby to the South Lobby, but walking the beautifully maintained grounds of ASP was a great way to see all the glory of Cancun (flowers, landscaping, iguanas, butterflies, etc.) and work off all that FOOD that we ate!!!

The most outstanding characteristics of ASP are: the lagoon, the pool, and the restaurants.

The Lagoon: some people just don't read reviews or do any research before going to ASP. It is pretty freaking obvious to see that ASP does NOT have a beach. They have a rocky wall built up and a man-made lagoon; which is utter HEAVEN. It is massive; runs the entire length of ASP. There are fishies a-plenty in the lagoon; it is under 5 feet deep in most spots; you can snorkel, kayak, swim, or just simply float on your back and watch the birds & clouds swirl by. It is that huge, that you can float drunkenly for hours without anyone bumping into you. It was SO heavenly, we didn't even try out the pool, OR miss having a beach!

The Pool: We didn't use the pool, mainly because we were so enthralled with the lagoon. They had the typical Cancun-style tequila volleyball in the pool, night shows, and the usual fun. Each pool area has swim up bars, snack bars, and waitresses/waiters ready to bring you your next drink. We never had to wait and felt like we were treated like royalty.

The Restaurants: How someone can complain about ASP's restaurant is beyond me! They have SEVEN to choose from, along with a smattering of specialty bars: a Mediterranean restaurant, an Oriental, a California-Light theme restaurant, an Italian place, a 'healthy snack' spot that makes fresh fruit smoothies, many lobby bars, a Steakhouse, an International buffet style restaurant, a Thai Lounge which has beds & martinis (great mix), and a few other smaller bars which specialize in tapas & drinks!

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Kayaking
  • Written February 27, 2007
Tip Photo

View from our room, at ASP

• yorkiesue profile photo yorkiesue
  • Reviews: 3

Catalonia, Riviera Maya: Pure Heaven

A top class all inclusive resort, travelled alone for my 40th birthday last year and although the accommodation was still being rebuilt after a hurricane the staff could not of done more for you, on the day of my birthday my room was decorated and a cake put there. A choice of 4 restaurants on an evening with plenty of entertainment day and night. Close to the Marina, I booked on line to swim with the dolphins, manatees and stingrays and had a great day, whilst saving about £50. Would for sure go again.

Grounds of the hotel well looked after, waiters and bar staff knew your name some could even remember your drinks even if you changed them often like I did, they`d even bring them to the beach for you, lovely beach with clear waters and a lagoon. Plenty of sun loungers for everybody, free use of towels for the pool and beach changed as often as you wanted. Rooms spacious and well kept and cleaned.

• Related to: Beaches, Singles, Archeology
  • Written October 24, 2006

• TheTravelSlut profile photo TheTravelSlut
  • Reviews: 277

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hacienda del Sol - A Royal Resort: Hacienda del Sol -An Interval International resort

NOTE: I did not stay here but simply checked the property for friends who bought an interval ownership just prior to Hurricane Wilma striking the Cancun area in 2005. The resort just opened and while the majority of the infrastructure is in place, certain information is not available including their own website and contact information.

I did take a 2 hour tour of the entire property, including having breakfast in the restaurant, and I was able to see the accomodations of the rooms available.

The property is unfinished but there are dozens of workers present completing the next phase of the 200+ room resort. Currently 55 rooms are completed. There was no evidence I saw of any residual hurricane damage.

The resort was very clean, new and efficient and everything I saw would prompt me to come back to stay here or to recommend it to others.

The resort is meant to be a destination resort with everything you could need being available on site. There are plans for an attached golf course.

The infinity pool was the highlight of the property and it included a swim-up bar & restaurant. Any of the upper floors will have great views of the sea.

The resort rooms can be rented weekly, depending on time of year, for approximately $1,400-2,200 U.S.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive