Maya Caribe

Rated 29% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Maya Caribe

Maya Caribe website very deceiving - Dissatisfied customers

Travel dates: January 24 - February 7, 2005

Not a great experience - we would NEVER recommend this hotel, even as a 2-3 star rating. Two couples travelling together.

We saw reports on the WEB that the hotel was known for over booking - well, it happened to us. One couple did not have a room and they put them in a room in the Dos Playas hotel (next door). We checked out the room - it was terrible. The other couple had two queen size beds, so moved their luggage to share a room for over night.

The next day, they were moved to another room in the Maya Caribe, but not what they were expecting, but at least in a better room. This happened after a great deal of arguing with the Front Desk and manager. Their room was facing the parking lot and main highway, therefore NO SLEEP. One person had recent heart surgery and needed proper rest, which he did not get at that room. After 4 DAYS! they eventually moved them into a better room located near the other couple room, which was not too bad of a room.
Nice view of the ocean and a pool at our door. You can definitely tell that not a lot of love and care has taken place in the whole complex, but at least it was clean and the grounds were kept up.

They advertised two restaurants. Well, we had only the buffet restaurant for the whole two weeks. They said that the other was under renovations. We took a peek at the restaurant and there was absolutely no work being done, actually tables were set up with table cloths.

The food was not good at all. You got to know that what you had for dinner was what you were having for breakfast as well. No kidding!! They tried to get a bit better the 2nd week, but not a great deal better. We ended up going out for dinner quite a bit because of the quality of the food - another unexpected expense that we were not counting on, especially when we booked an All Inclusive. Absolutely no activities on site - NONE. They made arrangements for people to go to other restaurants in the evenings for entertainment, but it was another expense - nothing totally free (either drinks or food or both had to be paid for but the customer).

We have all travelled quite a bit over the years and have experienced 2-3 star to 5-6 star hotels and NEVER have we ever had this experience.

Some people were put in other worse hotels for a week of their vacation!!! Unacceptable.

The staff were very pleasant and did their best to accommodate us, but the management staff were not as accommodating (without a bit of work on our part).

Beach was nice and pools clean.

not a 5 star but nice

Just returned from staying at Maya Caribe we were booked in for one week but upon arrival we were told they were overbooked. Had to stay at the Miramar Mission for 3 nights then back to the maya caribe still had trouble getting rooms but finally did. once we got in the place was nice enough. Beach front rooms are great location.

Don't expect a room here!

We booked to arrive at Maya Caribe on 02/21/2005. When we arrived we found out the Maya Caribe hotel was overbooked. (after reading reviews when we got back this looks normal) I took my wife on a birthday trip and was expecting to be at a hotel on the beach. (I knew we were not guaranteed an ocean view room) The main reason we go to cancun is so we can go for evening, early morning walks and swim on the beach. They moved us to a hotel located in the lagoon part, to far to walk to beach. We checked the next day and they were not going to get a room at the Maya Caribe location and only after my wife started crying did they give us complimentary all inclusive wrist bands. This was suppose to be a special trip for her birthday and boy did I feel bad because of her disappointtment of no beach. If you book this hotel you are taking a chance that the Maya Caribe will shuttle you off to another hotel that does not get the flow of reservations so these other hotels always have rooms.

DISAPPOINTED

by TripAdvisor Member BeachKathy

We stayed in May "04 and it was wonderful - we became engaged here. We booked for our honeymoon (1/19 - 25/05) months in advance. When we arrived they were overbooked and we were sent to a less desireable location and made to feel like we were being unreasonable! This happened to at least 12 others that we met during our stay. We had planned on sending two of our children getting married this year to Maya Caribe for their honeymoons but have changed our minds - we would not want them to have this experience!!

Good hotel...if you get in.

Date of Trip: Feb. 22nd-27th

My husband and I booked our trip at the Maya Caribe 3 months in advance and when we got there they (of course) told us that they did not have a room for us. We were prepared for this since many reviews have surfaced about this happening to other people since we made our reservations. I was not silent in my frustration and voiced how awful it was that their hotel is famous for doing this to their customers. He told us that we would only stay one night at another hotel and he would have a room for us the next day. After making him promise the hotel was on the beach and that it was only for 1 night, we begrudgingly left for Club Verona Beat. It wasn't a bad hotel and it was on the beach but they weren't going to give us their
all-inclusive bracelets until we had to make a fuss.
The next day we got to the Maya Caribe and they set us up in a very nice ocean view room for the rest of our stay. The air conditioner was a little loud but we got used to it. Tip the maids as they will fold your towels into fun and different shapes every day.
The beach is clean and very beautiful and the hotel staff is wonderful. The grounds are very well kept and we even had visitors on our porch from a peacock and an iguana which made for fun pictures.
The food wasn't bad but the meals were very similar day to day and soon everything started tasting like butter. But I guess most hotels serve the same kinds of food not just the Maya Caribe.
No activities through the hotel but that's not what my husband and I were looking for anyway.
All in all, my husband and I very much enjoyed our stay at the Maya Caribe but be warned that you may get shuffled to another location with this hotel. We didn't invest a lot of money in our hotel since all we wanted was a beach, bed and booze and we were very happy once we got there. However, I don't think we would stay there again only because it is too stressful to make reservations at a hotel and not feel confident they can keep them.

A miserable time had by all

When we arrived at the Maya Caribe, we were told there was "a problem", They were over booked which I guess is a common thing to happen when using Travelcomm as a travel companie. They transfered us to another motel the Aristos, very run down and unkept, only one restruant and one bar, with only one or two other couples eating or drinking there need I say more. Stayed one night and we made other arrangements, had know way to conntact our travel compay (no phone number on the hotel voucher), make sure you take a phone number, I thought we had things under control before we left was I ever wrong, Called travelcomm when we got home they were of no help said I needed to call them from Cancun, We had know idea how to do that, be more prepared than we were.

Horror!

We booked this hotel already in December and stayed for two weeks. Maya Caribe was not overbooked as we came, we had any problems at all with check-in but the whole time was not nice. First of all our room- "bungalow" as they call it was terrible, holes in blankets, shower was out of order and of course it was not a 3 *Hotels room. I would not give this hotel even 2*, it's not worth it. Of course they cleaned it everyday but it changes nothing.
The food was horrible and one received same dishes served at midday and in the evening. It was badly seasoned and every day the same so after 3 days we went out for lunch -there is a variety of restaurants outside from hotel. The second restaurant Xel Ha was allways closed during our stay and tea room actually doesn't exist at all. Alcohol drinks - I don't know where they take it from - it was the worst we ever had.

Actually we cannot say any positive thing about this hotel - I would not recommend to anyone to book their stay there.

Great little hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MEMBERJ

This was our first visit to Cancun. When we got there they of course sent us to the Dos Playas(they never said they overbooked us , they just told us that they were sending us there and that they are the same company etc...), but after reading reviews before we went there we knew that they overbooked us. I started to argue but they made it sound like it wasn't a big deal, so we went to the room they gave us. It was soooo small there was no way we were staying in it for 2 weeks, so I went back and told them we were not happy at all with the room, and that we wanted a room at the Maya Caribe with a king size bed considering we had this trip booked for 6 months in advance. They told us that they would have a room for us the next day. The next day we check out of the Dos Playas and they got us a room in one of the bungalows which we really liked, it had a nice mexican theme to it and it was private.
We had talked to alot of people that were first sent to the Dos Playas who were not happy.
Considering it was a 3 star hotel, we got what we paid for so we were quite content with what was offered.
The food was ok but it was the same almost every day(I can no longer look at rice, spaghetti and carrots)
Friday nights were mexican night so there was a change in the food.
Tuesday nights they took us to a different restaurant called Daddy Rock(we were expecting Carlos and Charlies like it said when we booked but we didn't argue), the other Tuesday night they took us to Senor Frogs which was a great time.
The service from the restaurant staff was great, everyone was really friendly, the front desk staff was awesome as well, they were always willing to help with anything and were very friendly, even the grounds keeper was always friendly and said hola to you evertime you past by. You truly felt like you were part of a family there.
Our room was nice, it was cleaned every morning with fresh towels and sheets, with the towesl being in different shapes everyday.
It was nice to be at such a small hotel, you got to know most people and the beach was farely quite.
I think next time we would stay at a 5 star hotel just for the extra pampering, but for a 3 star hotel thay treated us great and more personal then any 5 star hotel.

No complaints here!

My husband and I just returned and loved it! It is not a 5 star hotel as far as a few items were concerned. But the people there are all 5 star people, by the time we left I felt we were family. The grounds were beautiful (felt like a private beach), everything was very clean, food was fantastic, and the service excellent. I know the bigger hotels might have a lot to offer, but I felt every morning like I was going downstairs to have breakfast with family and friends. Not all strangers. I don't think you get this treatment in bigger hotels. We will definately go back! I don't think I would want the big hotels after this treatment. Hopefully soon! Great bunch of people!

Hospitable Hotel

We got back from a one week stay Feb. 17 - 24/05. Apparently we were one of the lucky ones who weren't bumped to a different hotel. We stayed in a bungalow and the room was just as good as a 4 star we stayed in last year. We even talked to people who got bumped at a Riu, so it seems like a common practise. We had very quick service from the maintenance staff when the air conditioner broke. This was a pleasant surprise because any other time we have required maintenance, they come on "Mexican time". The hotel met our expectations based on its rating. The food was OK, and met our expectation for the rating, but if they improved it, we think the hotel would be rated higher. The staff were excellent as we had read. The supper out to a restaurant (Senor Frogs) was a good time, and the food was excellent. Food and transportation was included from the hotel, drinks were the only extra. The beach was fantastic, except some guests left their garbage rather than throwing it away. Overall as expected, the small size of this hotel made for a very hospitable and relaxing vacation. We would consider going again.

Delphinus Riviera MayaDelphinus Riviera Maya

Beach in front of Girasol condo, pretty white sandBeach in front of Girasol condo, pretty white sand

A 4-2 defeat for Pioneros de CancunA 4-2 defeat for Pioneros de Cancun

El Rey Ruins, CancunEl Rey Ruins, Cancun

Help

by singlegagirl

I have a choice of 2 hotels and I have read everthing and I am tired can anyone weigh in on which one is the best the 2 are the Solymar or the Maya Caribe.

Thanks

RE: Help

by yvr

You might take a look at the following website www.tripadvisor.com there are lots of reviews of each hotel by past guests. The Maya Caribe has 29 reviews and only two are negative, the Solymar has about 185 and there are lots of negative reviews of this hotel.

cambio de euros

by Nailatourist

Hola amigos, una pregunta relampago :-)

son bien aceptados los euros a la hora de cambiar en pesos? o hay lugares donde no los aceptan? no creo sea un problema pero me gustaria me confirmaseis...

gracias y buen dia a todos ustedes.

Cris

RE: cambio de euros

by claire1011

no comprehende sorri lol x

RE: RE: cambio de euros

by DSwede

Dollars o Euros, ningunos problemas

puedes cambiar en el aeropuerto, el hotel, el banco o los cambios fácilmente. Los vendedores de calle aceptaran los Euros, pero pagaras mas que con los peso.

Buen día y buenos viajes

RE: cambio de euros

by pedrocarlos

Depende en que parte del pais te encuentres.Si estas en la riviera maya(caribe mexicano)puedes pagar en euros,dolares o en pesos facilmente,pero esi estas en el centro del pais o el norte lo mas recomendable es que cambies tus euros por pesos en el banco o en cualquier casa de cambio.
Pedro.

What resort to stay at?

by wharfrock

Good Day all,

We are planning to go to Cancun late April next year.
I have been searching hotels and checking on reviews but haven't come to a final decision yet. We have been in Cancun once before in 2006 for two weeks and really enjoyed ourselves. We enjoy getting around to explore and meet new people so any recomendation you might have would be most helpful. Two resorts that we have been looking at seriously are Riu Cancun and Riu Caribe. Any comments about either or both of them would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

David

Re: What resort to stay at?

by Odinnthor

Well, been to both, stayed in Riu Caribe. The Riu Caribe is excellent, but so is the other one. Both are all inclusive. You really can't go wrong in either.

I believe that there is another property that is advertising under the Riu Caribe, but is really Maya Caribe. It is a budget place so be sure you are in the right one.

If you have not been to the Coco Bongo, you should check it out.....

Gran Bahia Principe, Riviera maya

by lee-godsell

Stayed here for 2 weeks nov 2008
the food the hotel the staff was all amazing.

Re: What resort to stay at?

by Dabs

The Riu hotels down in Playa del Carmen allow you to visit two or three of their other resorts in the same class category. Check to see if the same is true in Cancun, if it is pick the one with the better rankings on the rooms

Comments