Mexico Hostel

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Cancún

Cancun LimousineCancun Limousine

feeding friendly fish at Xel-Ha, Cancun, Mexicofeeding friendly fish at Xel-Ha, Cancun, Mexico

WinterWinter

A fishing Expedition is funA fishing Expedition is fun

Can I get to Isla Hobox at the same day from Cancun?

by prettyjean

My flight will arrive at Cancun airport at 3pm Feb.9. I know that it'll take around 4 hours (1 hour by bus and 3 hours by boat) to get to Isla Hobox. The hotel we booked could arrange private transportation but it costs 10 times more than we do it by ourselves. Does any one know the bus and boat schedule? Is it possible to get to Isla Hobox at the same day?

Thanks.

Jean

Re: Can I get to Isla Hobox at the same day from Cancun?

by Gatopardo

Let me figure it out, you're about right about the time from Cancun. So you arrive at 3pm...

I heard that the daily bus' schedule is:

5:30 am, 7:30 am and 1:30 pm

I found a website that shows:

Cancun-Chiquila 7.50, 12:30, 13:30.

and

Chiquila-Cancun 5:30 am, 7:30, 1:30

Cost: $65.00 Pesos

About the ferry at Chiquila:

Slow Ferry 45 Minutes

Chiquila- Holbox: 9: 30 am, 1: 30 pm, 3: 30 pm, 6: 30 pm

Holbox - Chiquila: 8 : 00 am, 12: 00 pm, 2: 30 pm, 5: 00 pm

After I saw those links, all I can thing is that the last bus leaves too early from Cancun, and there's no other way from the bus station to get to Chiquila unless you stay there for a night or taking the hotel transportation. Now, I could say that you could head to the bus station and ask a taxi driver if he would take you for, maybe $40 or $50? I don't know how much the hotel is charging you, but I consider it as a private service from the airport, which sounds more expensive for what I saw in the websites.

Finally, bring pesos. I don't remember to have seen atm or banks in Holbox. So be prepare with normal and spare cash.

I am afraid this is all I can do for you here, I went to Holbox about 5 years ago and it was worth it, so beautiful, very peaceful. I made that trip from Merida and it took forever. Again, it was worth it. The ferry crossing is very hippy, the local people coming back and forth.

Travel Tips for Cancún

Drivers

by Enzyme_X

Cancun as city didn't impress me that much. But it has it's own unique quality: I've never seen and experienced such polite drivers. Driving very carefully, stopping emidiately when I wanted to cross a street, smiling. Completely opposite to what I've experienced in some places where crossing a street can be a adventure ful of adrenalin.
Those drivers in Cancun could really be role-models for many. Keep up the good work guys!!!

This was my first real trip in...

by scooter3

This was my first real trip in Mexico besides Tijuana or Rosarito, and I wasn't really impressed too much... Our hotel was beautiful and the water was nice, but it wasn't what I expected upon coming to Mexico: very touristy with huge hotels taking up all of the coastline. Most of the people we met there just seemed to be there for drinking ( a lot of young people) and were really pretty obnoxious. If you get out of the hotel zone though, you will find many other things to do: you can visit the Mayan ruins, or get to Cozumel and go scuba diving, or other water sports...

Buy a Travel Guide!

by Bwana_Brown

I bought a Fodor's travel book on the Mayan Riveria area about a month before we left Canada. I found it to have been a very worthwhile acquisition with many useful tips on all aspects of the area, not to mention the nice accompanying map!

Crossing the street

by PrincessK

Crossing the street is not a right; it's a challenge. YOU DO NOT have the right of way even in a cross walk or at a red light. Be on the defensive. Taxi & bus drivers do not have any education and think that the road holds 3 things; 1) Their vehicle, 2) Their garbage & 3) Their right of way. So RUN when crossing the street.

There's no hurry, really.

by Brillemeister

Any gringos with little patience for slow service should probably stay away from Cancun. The fact that the city owes it's sheer prominence almost entirely to foreign tourism, combined with the Yucatan Peninsula's staggering humidity, keeps Cancun perhaps a virtual opposite of such places as New York or Osaka, when it comes to a businesslike atmosphere. Customs is slow, ordering food is slow, and taxis are often rather late.

Plus--a tradition in the Spanish-speaking world is to take an hour or two off in the early afternoon. The siesta, it's called. You will stick out like a sore gringo thumb walking around and insisting on getting several things "done" during the siesta.

Comments