Ocean Hotel

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Blvd Kukulcan Km 3.5, (formerly Club Carrousel Cancun), Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula, 77500, Mexico
Ocean Spa Hotel
Orbitz.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 61% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Ocean Hotel

Nice Hotel, Value for Money

by Heavens-Mirror about Carrousel Cancun

We booked to go to this hotel on Tv travel shop, it was a very colourful hotel, all painted yellow & blue but looked great. We had a warm welcomming from the staff & went straight to our room to unpack. The rooms are very clean although they are quite basic, the rooms are very large & consist of two huge double beds.

The food at the hotel was lovely, it was all inclusive so you could help yourself to anything you wanted at anytime, i especially liked the local dishes & enjoyed the fresh fruit & ice cream. I also loved the home made cocktails made by the bar staff. The service at the hotel was great too, always helpful & happy to serve. The pool at this hotel was quite small for such a large hotel but i wasnt complaining as it was a beachfront hotel anyway, so i just went for a dip in the sea to cooldown after a long sunbathe.
There were lots of free watersports to choose from, i often enjoyed going out to sea in a boat. And make sure you take some banana with you as you can jump in the sea and feed all the tropical fishes with it.... what a great experience. I had a great time at this hotel.

it's as good as you make it

we stayed at the carrousel for 2 wks in the summer of 2002.the hotel was average but never claimed to be anything else. the rooms were spacios enough, we had a wonderful view. my first memory of it was waking on the first morning to see the sea mirror like and calm with the sun rising above it, beautiful.the rooms were clean and the air con worked fine. the pool was small and filled with kids but you do have the sea right there! the sea is calm and warm and the sand is soft and not stoney. there was a lot of sea weed but we went to the "posh " side and the sea was too rough for someone who is not a confident swimmer. though it was beautiful. we had beach volleyball and football and as it was a small hotel we got to know the other guests which is always nice especially as they were from all kinds of backgrounds.there was plenty of variety of food & if you did not like what was on offer then they would do something else ( for the people who want egg and chips when they're abroad, if you know what i mean) we even had a bbq.the evening entertainment was dire and there to tempt you to to pay extra to the reps to take you to a club, but we went to relax so after dinner we took the tables from the restaraunt onto the beach and sat in the cool breeze drinking beer and cocktails served by friendly over worked staff who would do anything to please. we ent to the water park and were "trainers for the day" it cost approx £120 each but was worth every penny to swim with the dolphins.i would reccommend this hotel to anyone who wants to chill out in a friendly atmosphere.it makes no claim to be a 5* hotel so if it's 5* tratment you are after then i suggest you pay the extra instead of going cheap and then complaining that it doesn't meet your grand expectations (unlike a lot of others on this site)!!!!

Keep in mind you get what you pay for.

As long as you keep this in mind you will have fun. Before we left we read all the reviews. My husband, our best friend, and me just return from there on Saturday. We came to the conclusion that we were paying for a 3 star & that's what we were expecting & that's what we got. There was a funky smell to the rooms, but you get used it. It wasn't any worse than the rest of Cancun. The food was ok; all buffet style so if you don't like it don't eat it. We made a reservation at the lobby restaurant, but when my husband checked on it they didn't have us on the list so we never did get to eat there. No big deal. The staff was great. Pepe is the best! Could have probably made a better choice for New Years bars to attend (Bull Dog's sucked in my opinion) but we had fun. Met a few other people that were staying there, the Chicago couple (maybe we'll see you guys around town) and the guys from England. If you're in Cancun to party, save money & aren't expecting to stay at the Hilton or the Ritz then this is a good choice

Cheap but Great

Me and my boyfriend stayed here last May (2003) for 5 days it was a graduation present and it was free to me so I'm not complaining there were alot of people our age there and we hung out with them alot. I thought it was a great place to stay the food was not the best but it was free and the motel rooms were average i did not think they had a musty smell like everyone else says. It is only a 3 star motel so what do you expect. the staff was very friendly and helpful. You dont go to cancun to sit in your motel room the whole time so I dont know what people are complaining about. The bar by the beach was fun later at night. I would definitly stay at this place again. Remember you get what you pay for. and its mexico not america!!!

Carrousel great for the price!

After reading some of these reviews, I was hesitant to book a 7 night trip to the Carrousel. Fortunately I told myself not to expect a luxurious resort from a 3 star hotel in Mexico. I found the Carrousel exceeded my expectations and I was delighted with the quaint hotel as well as the friendly staff. Everone went out of their way to accommodate us. The rooms are your basic Mexican decor with tiled floors and Aztec colors. They were clean and the grounds were beautiful and very well maintained. You can not go wrong for the price. I found the nightly entertainment in the upstairs disco to be basic, however we enjoyed it just the same. It was great for our children as the staff went out of their way for them and I did not feel uncomfortable taking them to the disco or the buffets. The resort was relaxed and casual.
The meals were a bit repetative, but no more than any other all inclusive. If you want a 4 star,mega resort, then that is exactly what you should book. I however, would stay at the Carrousel again in a heart beat! .

Not good, even for a 3 star

I booked the day before and did not have time to really look around. I was very disappointed in the Carrousel--particularly because I paid about the same amount in Sept 03 (around $1500) to stay at the Camellion Marival on the Mayan Riveria and it was fantastic. The rooms at the Carrousel were clean but threadbare--the sheets were so thin you could see through them, the bed cover had holes in it, as did the chair cushions in the lounge area of the room. The food was mediocre to awful, depending on what you ate (stay away from the pizza and bruschetta at the Italian restaurant, though the onion soup and steak were ok). When we arrived, the hotel was quite quiet, and the food at the buffet was very limited, basic and extremely overcooked. It got better when a bus load of guests arrived 3 days later, but it was still very basic fare. The beach front sand area was ok but you had to get up early to ensure you got a lounge chair as there weren't enough to go around. I never saw anyone swimming in the ocean in front of the hotel, due to the location of the hotel up the far end of Cancun (lots of seaweed, and not at all like the beach along the hotel zone) and the two small boat docks on either side of the Carrousel. The bar drinks, while free, were very watered down, either that or they used such cheap alcohol that you could not taste it. The one saving grace was the staff--everyone was very friendly, helpful and nice--from the cleaning staff to the bar staff and restaurant staff to the front desk. I will never stay at the Carrousel again, no matter how inexpensive it was, nor recommend it to anyone else. Many other guests said the same thing.
We know it was a 3 star--but it would not take much to improve the food. At least we did not get sick.

Keep away from the carrousal

Don't go to this Hotel, its the worst Hotel that I have ever been in. The food is atrocious and always cold. The restaurant thanks to the Canadians [who can't smoke in public places in their own Country may I add] is a smokers Paradise. The bedrooms are Infested with fleas and the grounds Infested with ants. But the good side is you can always eat out and Cancun is a great place especially for the younger end I shall be going back again but in a different Hotel. I will be pleased to answer any questions that you want to ask but if you can, CANCELL.

If you like to Party...

Well I was at the Carrousel for one week, and I thought it was a pretty good hotel. It is probably the best bang for your buck, I people there were all great, from the bell boy Willy, who would run to the door just to open it for you, to the bartender Jimmy who was just amazing. The Carrousel probably has the best two Entertanment people in Oscar and Pepe, These two guys will take you to the best night clubs in Cancun each night. If you like to party and have a good time, I strongly recommend going to the Carrousel and parting with Pepe and Oscar. The only down side about the Carrousel is that the food was a little greasy, but other than that, I thought it was a great place to stay, because you totally get your moneys worth. If I were to go back to Cancun I would stay at the Carrousel again.

It's just okay

We were at the Carrousel from the 15-22 of February. It was just okay. It is not like many of the other hotels in Cacun. Everything is on a much smaller scale. If you are going to Cancun to lay on a beautiful beach and swim in beautiful blue water, this is not the place for you. It is in a Marina, and there is a lot of seaweed. The food is just okay. It tastes better than it looks and there is not much selection. The drinks did flow freely. The only problem is, the cups are so small, you have to drink about 20 beers to get the same effect as a 6 pack. If you go to this hotel, take your own mug. They have no problem filling that. They tried to entertain during the day and the evening. It was okay too. The service was pretty good. Most staff members were willing to help, especially Carlos. He is the best. You can always take the bus to the good beaches. It costs 6 pesos. The rooms are below average too. We had a great time in Cancun, but I would not stay at this hotel again.

Very nice and inexpensive!!

I stayed at Club Carrousel from February 13 - 20/2004, I really enjoyed my stay. The staff was friendly and helpfull, escecially waiters Alexander, Carlos and bartender Jimmy. Although I did not stay at the hotel much I was satisfied with the service I recieved while I was there. The rooms are big enough, the only problem was the toilet that just refussed to flush. Our room was cleaned everyday. The food could be better, but it grows on you affter a while, the beach and the pool are not that greatest but for the money you are saving you can afford a 5 min bus ride (only .60c US) to the beautifull beaches that the expensive 5 star hotels are overlooking. Cancun is a beautifull plays with alot of things to do, so save your money and stay at Club Carrousel and use the money to see the Chichen Itza, Tulum, Xel-Ha, horseback riding in the jungle and on the beach. The staff at the resort orginize trips to the famous night clubs for alittle extra cost, GO you will not regret it. The clubs are amazing. Take tours, the tour guids are great, our travel guide to the Chichen Itza was absobutley amazing, Thanx Lui. Overall, a hotel is only a small part in the Cancun experience, go see the Mayen ruins, learn the culture, and most importantly have fun. If you want to spend the entire trip in a hotel then you should book a 5 star hotel, but If you plan to explore what Mexico has to offer, stay at Club Carrousel and use the money you save to come back with great memories. I did ! I'm comming back! I love Mexico.

Dolphin playingDolphin playing

Beach in front of Girasol condo, pretty white sandBeach in front of Girasol condo, pretty white sand

Me in the driving seat!Me in the driving seat!

A Cancun bench.  Not a Cancun beach.A Cancun bench. Not a Cancun beach.

Private airport transfer

by ajw916

Hello,
We are traveling to Cancun/Rivera Maya in November for our honeymoon and was wondering which private airport transfer company we should use? Thanks!

by YVRDave

by jumpingnorman

That is a nice link for cancun transfers given by Dave...Cancun is very touristy and once you get off the plane, you will be ushered towards these desks where they will try to sell you "tours" but I just said we were already "all set and prebooked" and that I just needed a shuttle. They do have an affordable shuttle - a big white van which was perfect for us since we have twins and strollers and big luggages. You share these vans with other passengers... The white vans are very spacious and when we had to go back to airport, they were also right on time in picking us up from the hotel..I forgot the price already but you do get a discount if you get the roundtrip tickets...Norman :)

by YVRDave

That is the Green-Line Shuttle Norman. I use them too 150Pesos or $15US each person to mid Cancun

Comments