Paraiso de la Bonita

BookIt.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 56% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Paraiso de la Bonita

It does not get any better...especially 3 1/2 hours from NYC

Coming from a couple who has had the unique opportunity to travel the world from Europe, to the Middle east and through out Asia. We have stayed at the finest hotels and resorts. We give the Paraiso De La Bonita a huge “thumbs up”. The hotel is definitely an up an comer and has proven to be not only a first rate hotel on all levels but easy accessible from NY via direct flights out of JFK. Prices are not cheap but good value for what you get…the only down side is the beach is not as pristine as some Caribbean resorts and islands. Comments to the beaches sea weed problems are accurate… but the hotel has one of the nicest pools I have seen. The food will delight any gourmet and the service is second to none. A great long weekend away and highly recommended.

Do not have your wedding here!!!

I had my wedding at Paraiso de la Bonita in May and would discourage anybody else from holding their wedding here. The resort and rooms are beautiful, however the manager of the hotel made this an experience we would not forget, and not in the way that we had hoped.

I originally planned my wedding with the "head of special events" and was later turned over to Manuel Arteaga, the manager of the hotel, when the event planner became unresponsive to e-mails or phone calls (about three months before my wedding). I agreed to pricing and the set up with Manuel and signed a contract.

When I arrived at Paraiso (a misnomer) a few days prior to the wedding, Manuel attempted twice to increase the cost of the wedding by 30%+ despite the fact that we already had a signed contract. He also tried to change the location of the wedding ceremony from the beach, although the entire reason why we had the wedding there was to have a beach wedding, and I later realized that it was most likely due to the large amounts of seaweed strewn upon the tiny beach in front of the hotel (we were told that it would be removed for the wedding, which it was not).

The icing on the cake was when I returned home from the wedding and realized that the 160,000+ Intercontinental points that I had been promised were instead 2,000. Although the hotel is beautiful, the fact that I was lied to on several occasions has left me with no desire to return to this resort or to stay in an Intercontinental property again. Unfortunately my wedding memories now include a dishonest hotel manager and two months of phone calls with Intercontinental to attempt to resolve this issue.

Postings are Very Accurate

Most of the postings on this property are very accurate. The property is wonderful and the rooms are beautiful.

If you want to swim in the ocean....go elsewhere. The water is loaded with seaweed. I made it in to my knees and that was all I could take.

The food is some of the best I've every had and the service is great. Our only complaint was that the locals had turned off the electricity service from 9 am to 4 pm one day for routine maintenance. This pushed back afternoon spa appointments. Also, it affected some the kitchen as some items could not be ordered from the menu.

Overall, I would highly recommend this place for a short stay. After 4 days we were ready to try something different.

Not what we expected

We were booked to go to the Copacabana- All Inclusive - but they had overbooked and we were sent to Paraiso. The beach is horrible - seaweed 6 inches high along the water line. Unable to swim in this part of the ocean. Since we were not scheduled to stay there - the office staff was very rude. The food was great, very pricey - but there is no night life or entertainment. Lights out at 11:00 pm - that's when the one and only bar closes.

Very disappointing 3 day stay at this resort. Nothing to do but hang out at the pool.

One of the most beautiful places on earth!

by TripAdvisor Member com150

Gorgeous resort! We have been to some pretty amazing Caribbean resorts including Cap Juluca, Caneel Bay, and Little Palm Island but this is the most beautiful by far. I have snapshots of the resort posted around my office for inspiration in designing our new home. The pool is fabulous and you never get the feeling of being crowded anywhere on the grounds. Service is spotty and ranges from the best I've seen to downright rude. The front desk staff is particularly unfriendly. The spa may be my favorite of all times (even better than the Grand Wailea) because it is just so utterly relaxing. We did have to change rooms after we arrived because we were on a lower flood and the people above were early risers with heavy feet. Our first room was a ground floor room with the private plunge pool but the water was so ice cold that neither of us could stand to get in. The upper level room was much more pleasant and the patio was private enought allow for some nude sun bathing!

Fantastic

Fantastic, gorgeous resort. Service, rooms, food and amenities are all first rate.
Postings on this site about the beach are accurate, if you are interesting in swimming in the ocean you'll be dissappointed but if you are looking for relaxation, this is the place for you. Enjoy!

Best hotel and spa experience

I just came back from a week at Paraiso with my mother--what a fantastic experience. The hotel is beautiful, the oceanview suites are very intimate, confortable and chic. The service is first rate (the staff is so generous and attentive). It is an amazing place to relax. We went almost every day to the Thalasso spa and tried more than a dozen different treatements. Every single one of it is first rate, delivered by an attentive, professional, and super competent staff. We have been to a couple of spas around the world. This one is by far the best.

Not worth the money

This is a very nice hotel in beautiful setting, private, secluded, beautiful rooms, and pool area, good SPA. Extremely expensive, not worth the money mainly because of very poor service, specially in the food and restaurant area. Considering this Hotel is in Mexico the price is an abuse. I dont mind expensive, I mind abusive.

If You're Plump and Lazy, This is Your Shangri-lah

by TripAdvisor Member ABC-Corp-Exec

The Positives: This hotel has extraordinarily friendly, charming and polite staff, good service (albeit slow), nice rooms, pretty restaurant/bar areas, a beautiful pool area (though crowded), and excellent food.

The Negatives: This hotel is not in any way currently set up for the active, athletic guest -- for a hotel of this stature and price, the work-out facilities are horrendous with a single, skimpy and broken weight machine; the two swimmming pools, while aesthetically beautfiul, are totally non-functional for any kind of lap swimming whatsoever (unless you want to swim in circles around a space the size of a large hot tub); the beach is covered with seaweed and the vistas in all directions are poor; the single tennis court is bumpier than a cobblestone street; the access ways to/from the pool to/from the beach to/from the excercise area and spa, etc. do not flow well, as you feel like you literally need to crawl over people, bushes or rocks to get from place to place...need I say more.

Other: There is a resident Alligator and several large Iguanas on the property in very close proximity to the rooms and guests; the creatures are a nice diversion; that being said, I wouldn't want my kids to spend too much time chatting it up with these beasts...the hotel design looks like a Disney World-type knock-off of the Islamic-influenced 'Alhambra' in Granada, Spain, but it is nice nevertheless.

Very nice rooms!

by TripAdvisor Member westcoastim

Just returned from a week at Paraiso. The rooms are great. Very well decorated and very clean. The bathroom is very nice with a large tub and shower. We loved the turn-down service in the evening. Each night the room was cleaned (for the second time that day). They also close up all the blinds, turn down the bed, put out your robes and slippers, leave out fresh fruit, turn on the 'mood' lighting and music. It was very romantic to come back to each evening.
The resort is very well maintained. Everything is very clean. Pool is nice, beach is nice, but like mentioned in previous reviews, it is not for swimming. There is A LOT of seaweed in the water. You are able to walk in to about your waist and that is it. There is a large private dock that you can relax on or even have a meal out on.
Service was good, as it should be for the price you are paying per night. Food is very expensive. We spend $70 for breakfast for two people and $85 for lunch for two.
This is a resort for relaxing and spending a lot of money. There is not a lot to do besides, lay by the pool, lay by the water or eat! Nothing is in walking distance so you are pretty much 'stuck' at the resort unless you get a taxi to take you somewhere.

Comments