Avenida Nader 1 S.M. 2, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula, 77500, Mexico

Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

• ArtMeg's Profile Photo

Inexpensive if you book ahead

My husband and I stayed one night before we had to catch a plane at the Cancun airport. We booked online ahead of time, and saved about half. The "walk-in" rate was over $80 (Dec. 2005) and we booked a room for about $50 before we left home.

The hotel was under renovation at the time, and we had a room in the back. But, we were tired and didn't notice any noise. The room was large, and had a/c and cable.

Check in was easy, and the hotel called us a cab in the morning to take us to the airport.

Unique Quality: The pool was in a central atrium, and the noise echoed like crazy. If you don't have kids, ask for a room away from the pool.

More about Radisson Hotel Hacienda Cancun

Best Hotel in Downtown Cancun

by TripAdvisor Member dieuwer

The Radisson Hacienda Cancun is the best spot in downtown Cancun to enjoy the people and culture of Mexico if you prefer tranquility and dining out away from the masses, have a swim in the pool and relax in the garden. However, if you're looking for beach-side action and American-chain restaurants, head for the 'Miami-Beach of Cancun,' the Hotel Zone.
I stayed in the Radisson during the week of Thanksgiving and had a great time. The hotel is very clean, modern and still has the touch of Mexico by it hacienda style build and atmosphere. The room was spacious, way big for one person and it had a look at the pool from a nice balcony. Since the hotel is located in a more quiet part of downtown Cancun, you really can have a good night sleep, although the elevators occasionally may make some low bass-noise. This is then the main drawback of the hotel. However, it didn't bother me.
Most of the time I went out for lunch or dinner which is in walking distance from the hotel. Once I had lunch buffet at the hotel for about 80 pesos (7 dollars) which was good. Shops and internetcafe's are nearby. To go to the beach, you can use the hotel's shuttle or just take the local bus.
The staff was helpfull and friendly and let me make a few phonecalls for free when I had problems with my credit card.
Overall, I recommend this hotel if you want to stay in downtown Cancun and enjoy a different kind of vacation.

Glad was only one night. AC was the only plus.

Becuase our stay was up at the time-share, we booked our last night at a hotel. That hotel had problems, so they sent us to the Radisson and called it an upgrade. The Radisson was beautiful in the common areas, entry-way, and pool area (which was full of screaming, running children--that's what kids do--don't expect to relax or take a tranquil dip there), but this was very deceiving. The actual rooms really need a lot of upgrading and good cleaning. I don't know if this is completely fair because maybe they put us in their worst/cheapest rooms because they had to honor the rate from the other hotel. Although, given the quality one expects from the Radisson, one would assume all the rooms should be in excellent condition. If we had paid the rate they had posted, we would've asked for a refund. We too experienced the loud noise of the elevator that our travel companions described as a perfect ringer for the launch of the Death Star from Star Wars. The floors hadn't been swept well if at all and the room had a musty smell of what I can only hope was paint since the weather is so humid. The drain in the bathtub didn't work properly and the recessed light above our shower was falling out of the ceiling. The sliding window didn't really close completely or lock. The beds were quite old and saggy. Overall, for one night, this isn't the worst hotel we've ever stayed at, but it's not where I would book my entire vacation. It's just not the quality you would expect from the Radisson. This was more like the quality of the Ramada you'd find off the interstate.

Pleasant Hotel in the middle of the city

We stayed at the Radisson from June 30 to July 3. The pool was fixed. The elevators were terrible, but manageable, i think they fixed them 4 times when we were there!!! We got stuck 4 times .... but never for more than a minute or two. We really liked the hotel. The food at the hotel is expensive. We went to the shopping market around the block and lots of the neighborhood restaurants. Enjoyed the experience. Took the shuttle to the beach but the water was too rough. Would go back, but not to the beach. Good value. Got it from Priceline for $50.00 a night. If you want to stay, select 3 star hotel and 50.00 and it will almost certainly be accepted by the Radisson.

Looks nice but smells!

My wife and I made the mistake of arriving w/out reservations. The desk clerk tried to charge us $150 for a room that goes for $50 on the Net. After some hard- nose haggling, we managed to lower the rate to $78.

The hotel has a pleasant appearance and is in a quieter part - relatively speaking - of downtown Cancun.

Our room was clean, but it had a very strong odor of mold - probably due to the humidity. We considered changing rooms, but we imagined the others smelled the same.

We would not stay there again.

Very nice hotel overall

I went to see a friend in Cancun so I wasn't looking to stay at the beach. After reading the reviews I felt comfortable booking here thinking that I might be slumming a bit. I was pleasantly surprised with the room and the hotel overall. We did have some very minor things but the hotel took care of them right away to my delight. The staff was so friendly and made every effort to understand and speak English when my feeble attempts to speak Spanish failed. The tv had poor reception - no problem, fixed within 1/2 hour. The toilet leaked a little around the base. Fixed by the time we got back that evening. We tipped the housekeeper $2.00 a day, (most Mexicans earn anywhere from $5.00 to $12.00 A DAY!), and he made cute decorations out of towels or the bedspread every day as a thank you. :) The food in the restaurant was expensive and just OK so you may want to eat out for better food at a better price. Plus, I wanted to get out and see Cancun, not eat in the hotel! It has a nice pool area - and as I'm not really in bathing suit shape, I had no desire to parade around in front of 1,000 people at a large hotel.
The only problem was with getting my breakfast the day of my departure. I'll spare you the ridiculous circuitous conversations with the inept restaurant manager, but apparently a card on the door and 5 follow up phone calls within 1.5 hours was what it takes to get breakfast delivered. They told me there would be no charge but at check out, the restaurant had charged me over $6.00 for breakfast and over $9.00 for the tip! The hotel manager took it off and was extremely embarrassed by the situation. Excluding that - I would recommend the hotel for a budget traveler that wants a nice hotel to stay in off of hotel row.

Great place

Location in downtown Cancun is convenient to restaurants, bus, taxis, grocery store. About $10 to get to close hotels in hotel zone. Super helpful staff, especially bell staff. We got a new bottle of water every day. Reasonable water pressure. Clean, nice rooms. Only problem was the really hard beds.

Hey Radisson Ownership...Read THIS !!

I stayed in the hotel during October of 2004.
The hotel property itself has alot of eye appeal once you walk through the doors.
In my opinion, the ownership of this hotel could either take this hotel to a 4 star property with some modest capital improvements.
IF they do not fix the little problems then the overall rating of which I gave 3 stars, will quickly become a ONE star hotel.

The staff is very good. They are friendly and helpful. My room included tips and all the little things, yet since I did not want to give them more money the staff kind of stopped offering to assist me any further while I was there.Maid service as good as well.

There is a major problem with the two elevators they have on this property. They are slow and undersized for a property of this size and they do not work properly. A huge risk for a law suit is waiting to happen with them unless they get them replaced and running properly. Again they were very slow and the doors would open and you would be about an inch or so from the elevator car being level with the floor. Also I could hear the pullies on the elevator struggling at times to pull or drop with 3 to 5 people in the elevator.

The beds are very poor. Very hard matress with only about a 5 inch thick matress on my king size bed. Also the matress does not sit on a box spring, but a flat board.
The bed spreads on the beds are also very poor and aged. The room furnishings are good. The room was clean. Nice large bathroom and over-sized shower.
I had my girl friend who lives in Cancun that came to pick me up every day at the hotel. There were times when the desk staff treated her like she could not come to my room. At one point they asked me if I was staying alone or were their 2 people in the room. I told them the truth, only me. My girl friend came in the mornings and we would go up to my room for awhile in the evenings. I just did not like their attitude on this matter.

In waiting around one morning and walking the property I noticed that the security men go in SOME rooms while house keeping is in a room cleaning. I noticed the security guys looking around in the rooms at the same time. My thought was this is not good. I was told that security men look in rooms when house keeping notices "suspicious" things while cleaning a room. I had nothing to hide so I was not concernced in my room but, the idea of a room search without me knowing about it is not cool !!!
The restaurant food was very good but over priced for the Hotel's location. You can walk 3 blocks or take a cab or shuttle and eat for half of what the restaruant charges.
Finally the pool area. WOW what a beautifully done area. While I was there the pool was not busy, very much yet the pool water was not clear as pool water should be. I checked it for 3 straight days...and said...naaaaa ..think not.. The water was cloudy in its color and not clear as it should be. Either it was dirty OR the clorinie levels were way out of control.

In conclusion, a good ownership team AND a good American lead hotel manager and a hand picked support team with knowledge of building maintenance along with ALL new and real matresses,, and new bed spreads,,, and a new elevator system COULD make this Raddison a great reason to stay in the downtown area.
AS IT IS,, it is the equivilant to an hotel property that is will quickly develop a poor reputation for its guests. This Raddison hotel has so much potential yet needs the ownership of this property to step up to the plate WITHOUT raising rates drastically. Due to it's location away from the beach it will never be a $90 + per night place to stay, but this Radisson could certainly be a nice $79.00 per night place IF they get it FIXED..Good luck to them.. I hope you are paying attention. Respectfully submitted.

Great Value overall!

We were staying at the luxurious Mayan Palace in Playa Del Carmen, and our timeshare time expired on a Sunday. To get the lowest airfares, we decided to stay two extra nights in Cancun. We originally chose the Radisson because of its location in Downtown rather than the hotel zone and the wonderful rate we got ($45 USD per night). We arrived before checkin time wich is 1:00pm. The front desk clerk said that they did not have a room ready (totally understandable) and we were invited to look around at the pool or have some lunch. We opted to leave our bags with the bell boys and taste their buffet. Their sunday buffet has a higher price because of the hightened traffic they receive on that day. It was 11.50 USD pp. to participate in the all you can eat buffet. The food was average and consisted of custom quessadillas, pork and chicken dishes, rice, taqitos, a big dessert buffet, and fresh juices. After we ate, we looked at the pool (average sized with a shallow kiddie pool at one point. Swim up bar available). When we passed by the front desk to check on our luggage, the clerk remembered us and said that they had a room available on the 4th floor. For some reason we were put in the "Piso Ejectuivo" wing. It caters to guests who use more rewards points or management. We did not pay extra, just got lucky I guess! The perks you receive are a continental breakfast with cereals, tea, coffee, breads, meats, watermelon juice, milk, cheese, and a variety of other things. The breakfast is served from 7-9 am. The rest of the time, snacks and alcoholic beverages are served. We enjoyed the food and the service provided to us. They told us that there was some good shopping in the area, and so we sojurned on foot. We were able to get alot of gift shopping done with stores within walking distance of the hotel! The shops are very reasonably priced and sell t-shirts, pictureframes, shells . . . you name it! The money benefits the "locals" so we felt no guilt and never bartered to reduce the price. At night we went to the Isla mall -- a great experience! The bus cost 7 pesos pp and took us to the mall in about 20-25 minutes. The mall is brand new and has all sorts of sculptures and water features and shops. It is a little pricier here, but not way out of line. We ate at Carlos O'Kellys and enjoyed the food.
Back at the hotel we slept and then enjoyed the continental breakfast. The RADISSON HAS ACCESS TO A BEACH CLUB! the Avalon Grand. Just flash your white pass, and your in! We again took the bus to the Avalon, though the hotel does provide shuttle transportation. However, you must make reservations, and all the slots filled up before we got there. The beach is literally about 15-20 feet wide at low tide and was a little cramped. There are sales men who walk right along the shore and sell silver, blankets, hair braiding, sunglasses -- anything. The water is clear and very warm with little current. There are no shells, but lots of sand and a fun atmosphere. go to the beach club if youcan and wear spf 30 sunscreen at least! I wore spf 15 and got burned to a crisp! the sun is simply more intensive down there. Later on, we ate at the restaurant for dinner, and got the grouper (fish) and the meat pasta. The pasta was so spicy (with pepper), that we kindly sent it back, and they replaced it with a different pasta dish. They also gave us some ice cream for our trouble with the food. Afterwards, the people who ate grouper had some of "moctezuma's revenge". We don't know whether it was the food or stress or what, but it might be a good idea to stay away from the fish down there.
The next day we left and gave the maid a tip. All the staff was extremely helpful and really bent over backwards to make our stay comfortable.

NOW HERE'S OUR PROBLEMS:
The building is old and really needs a good, thourough cleaning. The pool is a little rusty, and the walls a little musty. Everything just shows a little wear and tear, but can be easily overlooked.
Excellent stay overall and a wonderful value!

Good Hotel , GREAT PRICE

There weren't that many people at this hotel except for two other american guys. Everyone was so nice-especially the guys that worked at the resturant. The maid would clean our hotel room everyday reguardless of what time we left. Always had clean fresh towels etc. Nothing was ever stolen. The only dow side was the day after we got there they started a remodeling project on the pool so it was out of commission the entire trip. The shuttle to the beach was nice--their sister hotel was nice--bar on the beach with cool swings-- (its the same hotel in the movie "The Real Cancun". Was around the corner from the bus stop and mcdonalds and the local market. At sundown they had a security guard at the front door so I always felt safe. Their little gift shop has the most random and over priced items in it though. The resturant was a good price :) We never used the spa or the beauty salon-nor did we even see them.
I would recommend this hotel-even though its a little off the beaten path the price and friendly staff make up for that.

Cancun for New Year's

by myrtle

I'm trying to plan a trip with some friends for New Year's & we were considering going to Cancun. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive but decent place to stay? I saw some decent prices in downtown Cancun, but I don't know anything about Cancun & I'm not sure if this is a safe place to stay or not. Does anyone know anything about the Best Western Cancun Clipper Club or Radisson Hotel Hacienda Cancun? Are crocodiles really a problem in the lagoon? Anyone know of any New Year's activities in Cancun? I know...I'm planning early this year. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Cancun for New Year's

by mexicancurious

Cancun downtown it's very safe, all Quintana Roo in general, and Radison Hotel has a good location. Buses runs all day long to the hotel zone (bars and beaches), just a few blocks from Radisson..

For a very drunk person, cocodriles can be a problem, just stay away for the lagoon at nigth and will be ok..

Coco Bongo, The city, Bull dog, makes specials partys for New years eve.

enjoy your stay!

Re: Cancun for New Year's

by brkilbourne

Check out my pages & others http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/16c43/ea4af/
you will find the strip safer and more to your liking. I's say the Flamingo may be just right for you.
As far as I know the American Crock is rare, smaller and less aggresive than their African relative. Further in the three times I have been their I have never heard of crocks in the lagoon. I have heard than the lagoon is somewhat polluted. It's a great party place.

BK

by hicken

As you're concerned about safety/feeling comfortable, I think you'd feel MUCH happier on the strip, rather than downtown. It's designed for US tourists, and totally geared towards you having fun. And why swim in the lagoon worrying about crocs, when the best thing about Cancun are the gorgeous beaches along the strip?

by TempNomad

If you don't mind the tourist experience, just stay on the hotel strip, as has been mentioned before. However, downtown Cancun has some very interesting restaurants. The square that's relatively close to the bus stop has many locals hanging out and buying delicious items from carts. Mmmm. There is also a place called LOS AVES, or something like that that has THE BEST huevos rancheros I've ever had. I also had the most amazingly fresh guacamole when I was downtown. That said, if I were back in the area, I wouldn't stay in Cancun at all. It's go straight to Isla Mujeres or Tulum.

by myrtle

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Can anyone actually recommend a reasonably priced hotel either on the strip or downtown?

Comments