4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Blvd Kukulcan Km 8.5, Manzana 50, Lote 5, Zona Hotelera, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula, 77500, Mexico

Hotel Riu Cancun
Hotels.com Expedia.com Tingo.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• xristinaki's Profile Photo

excellent 5 star hotel

The Riu so far has been the best all inclusive hotel i've stayed at. There are 3 pool areas, with one swim up bar...they were always kept very clean. The rooms are very spacious, with a king bed (2 beds stuck together), and a little living area with TV. There's also a mini-fridge stocked with water and Corona beer....they restock every 3 days but you can ask for it to be stocked everyday. above the fridge are four bottles of alcohol (see pic)...so you can literally drink 24/7.

the food was amazing...the buffet always had a great selection of meat, seafood, pasta etc...there are also a couple restaurants (also great) but we ate at the buffet most of the time. There is even a soft serve ice cream station where you can help yourself. Wake up for breakfast! they make a great omelets exactly how you want it.

the entertainment at night is ok...they put on an excellent michael jackson show...there is also mini-disco room.

• gabriellefox's Profile Photo

Fantastic All Inclusive

Situated in the heart of Cancun the Riu Cancun is the ideal beach resort located near the magnificent golden beaches of Cancun. Everything at this luxurious 5 star resort has been designed to ensure you enjoy the radiant sun and the crystalline waters of the Caribbean Sea. Surrounded by great shopping, great dining and great nightlife, Riu Cancun has plenty to offer everyone.

Unique Quality: Riu Cancun has 569 guest rooms, each room is tastefully furnished and offer the following facilities:

Bathroom /WC
    TV-SAT
    Safe deposit box
    Balcony or terrace
    Ocean view

It is the best all inclusive resort I have ever experienced!

Directions: Zona Hotelera
    77500 Cancun
    Quintana Roo - Mexico

• Anita_Porec's Profile Photo

an affordable 5 star

The newst property in Cancun (June 2003, it may not the newest in a few months) is a great seller and resort for everyone.
    RIU CANCUN is for everyone - families, singles, couples, young and "more mature". There is something for everyone here...as well as a "loud" pool and a "quiet" pool area.... food is awsome....beach is nice, with just a few waves.
    Fore more info on RIU CANCUN visit my travelogue.

Unique Quality: Right in the midst of everything, walking distance to shops, markets, bars, and on the beach.....

Directions: Tip os Cancun penninsula

More about Riu Cancun

Riu Cancun

by catthebrat about all inclusive

We visted the Riu Cancun in November 2007 and had a blast!!! We had previously visited the Riu in Puerta Vallarta and were convinced we would be in good hands. I travelled with my kids, 16, 25, 28 and their friends. Tons to do for all ages!

Although the beach is very narrow and in some spots rocky, I found myself poolside enjoying all the activities with my kids. The entertainment crew poolside got everybody involved and it added to the fun.

The rooms were exceptionally nice and clean and a tip goes a long way!

We mostly used the buffet as it was difficult to get everybody together for meals at the ala carte restaurants. The bartendars were super friendly. The evening entertainment was a bit lame, but with my group we still had a hoot! I swear I had the best view of all from my room! All our rooms were side by side, but my room was at the end of the hotel with no one beside me! Total privacy and a fantastic view of the crystal clear ocean!

Because of our great location in Cancun, shopping was near and so was the night life! I would totally recommend this resort to all!

Although we are from Vancouver, we got the best deal out of Seattle and enjoyed the stop over in Dallas to break up the flight times.

Had a Great time at Riu Cancun

Just got back from a one week stay (8/27 - 9/3) at the Riu Cancun and
we all had a wonderful time. I highly recommend this resort.The meals
were very good with an excellent variety of dishes. There are three
restauraants available for dinner. The buffet style in two of them
suited our needs but may not be for everyone. The dishes prepared at
the buffet changes each day so you don't tire of the choices. Also,
although it's a buffet, there are a number of stations where various
dishes are prepared as you wait. The third reataurant, called Corazon,
requires a reservation to be made in the morning. This resataurant
features a more 'sitdown and be served' meal of various well prepared
meats served on a skewer (Brazilian style).The staff was extremely
attentive, beginning with the welcoming drinks at registration. The
shows each evening were entertaining and fun, with about half of them
being presented by the hotel's enthusiastic entertainment staff. During
the day, the staff organized a number of activities near the pool such
as water polo, beach volleyball, darts, water arobics, ping pong, and
Spanish lessons.Non-motorized boating is available (kayaks, pedel boats
and 5 Hobie sailboats.) We enjoyed all three.As an all-inclusive
resort, you don't spend much cash. Additional gratuities are not
required, but I often gave small (one or two USD) for various services,
such as at the bar. Bring a supply of $1 bills.Bars are readily
available throughout the resort and drinks are served weak unless you
request otherwise. I think I only saw one or two people throughout the
week who appeared to have had too much.Rooms all face the ocean. We had
a terrace which we enjoyed in the evenings or with cffee in the
morning.the guests are from all over, including Spain, Germany, Japan,
Mexico as well as all across the US.

Loved the Riu!

by TripAdvisor Member jdv

We just returned on 9/22/03 from the beautiful Riu Cancun. This was our 13th trip, and our 13th different hotel. The resort is gorgeous, and sparkling clean. The service couldn't be better. The food is above average, and plentiful. The pools and beach are beautiful. We would definitely recommend the Riu!

Best In Cancun.....In The Heart Of Cancun

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Riu Cancun Hotel from June 7th thru June 11th. We took a chance on this newly built hotel. It was the best experiecnce ever. It was my first trip to Cancun and hotel couldn't have been located in a better spot. In the heart of Cancun. We were walking distance from everything, especially the night life. The view was excellent. The water was beautiful. The service and hospitality we received was great. This hotel is definitely a must!

Beautiful & Fun

My family and I had so much fun at the Riu Cancun. The service was
unbelievable. Can't praise the staff enough, they were exeptional. The
food was always fresh, beautifuly presented and very tasty. Loved the
poles and the activities there. Fantastic location. You do not have to
take a bus or taxi anywhere because almost everything is right outside
and across the street. We would go back to the Riu Cancun in a minute.

Taste of the good life

Just returned from the Riu Cancun Sept 14 - Sept 18. We had a group of six that have been to Cancun several times. Everybody agrees that the Riu stands above all other resorts in Cancun. The resort itself is a work of art. The food is better than you would ever expect. Meals included filet mingon, shrimp, crab, ribs, sushi, and anything else you could ever desire. Lots of main dishes as well as side salads, deserts and drinks. The pools are beautiful. Always something going on, good music, drinks, and lots of beautiful woman. ( sorry ladies, I am a single guy). Make sure you take advantage of the water sports. The fish in the waters are great. Night life at the Riu was wonderful. Several bars to choose from that included entertainment. Going all inclusive is the only way to go. All the food and drinks you could ever want. Food was available until 2:00am for those with late night munchies. Take advantage of the lower rates for this new resort while you can because I have a feeling they will be going up.

Pelican Blue

by TripAdvisor Member goodspkr

I thought I'd give you a run down on our week at Riu Cancun from August 29 to September 5, 2003. I titled this Pelican blue for a reason. First I don't think I have ever seen water as blue as what I did in Cancun. Secondly, I really enjoyed watching the pelicans that feed in the waters just off the beach.This was the first all inclusive hotel we'd ever stayed at and we travel a lot (both of us are million mile fliers). Although most people are quite complimentary about the Riu, some question it being a 5 star hotel, etc. Actually the number of stars a hotel has depends on what facilities it has and although higher number indicate better hotels, it is not a guarantee of the hotel being luxurious. Have I stayed in better hotels? Yes. Have I eaten better food? Yes. Have I had better drinks? I don't remember. But I don't think I've found a better value.The hotel is lovely. The common areas have a lot a touches that you can enjoy. The dome in the lobby, the beautiful light/fans there, lots of wood, tile, and all of it tastefully done.The rooms are standard hotel rooms (except for the free minibar and booze dispensers). There is plenty of storage space, a safe in the closet, and a very nice bathroom. A note here. The Riu provides very small bars of soap. Also, the rooms do not have any clocks in them. If you need a clock bring one with you. Take a large bar with you if you want a normal sized bar of soap. The beds are very hard, but nothing that caused me to get a backache. There is a remote control TV (use the menu button for the sleep function) and enough english language stations. When we arrived we were given room 433. We had read about people saying get rooms from 19 up. The lower number rooms will have some construction in the view, but they are angled to the sea, so I don't think it is a problem. Because of the annex, room 433 had much of the view cut off. I would tell you to get a room above the 7th floor (the annex is six floors high) or get a room from 1-18 on the first 6 floors. We asked to be moved and were moved the next morning to room 823. It had a fantastic view.We tipped a lot and it showed in some of the treatment we got. The maids starting making art out of towels for us. We got an elephant one day and an angel on another. Fun.Food. I was a little confused by the number of specialty restaurants and how that worked. Supposedly there was an Italian and steak house as well as the Argentinian restaurant.Here is the way it works.There are three restaurants: La Mision, Don Juan, and Corazone.Don Juan is only buffet and is open for breakfast and dinner. The spread they put out at these two meals is amazing. There are approximately eight separate areas were food is put out on and a beverage area as well. The room is air conditioned and although bright, very pretty. The crew at the Riu do a wonderful job in this restaurant. I was impressed with the food art at dinner. Watermelons were carved into faces and designs, butter was used to create scenes, and many foods and fruits were cut to look like flowers. It was very elegant. I also recommend that you go there at least once right at 7 PM when it opens for dinner for a demonstration of good customer service.Jackie especially enjoyed the shrimp they served (she said it was tasted like lobster) and we both became confirmed butter pecan ice cream eaters. There is plenty there and if you don't try to have some of everything every day, you won't get bored with it in a weeks time.La Mision is open for lunch and dinner. It is an open air restaurant and at dinner they have one section with Italian food and another section where steaks are grilled for you. The cut of the steaks is not the best, but they are very tasty. They don't have the butter pecan ice cream, so when we ate there, we desserted in Don Juan's.Corazone is a buffet restaurant at lunch and a sit down restaurant at dinner. It is air conditioned. You have to make reservations, but this is less for crowd control (I don't think I saw if over half filled) than it is for them to estimate how much to cook. The dinner menu is set. You first go to a salad bar. Then they serve wine (not very good), and bring a platter of vegetables. We ate their twice and this is what we got. The vegetable platter has brocolli, two kinds of potatoes, fried bananas, and cooked spinach. They then serve the meat platters. There are a total of 5 servings, starting with filet mignon, chicken, mexican steak, sauage, and barbequed ribs. When this is done you have a dessert bar. All in all this meal takes about one hour and twenty minutes.Drinks. We are older (late 50s) so we didn't feel a need (or for that matter any desire) to use the pool bar. I preferred the lobby bar. There were a couple of occasions where I asked them to make the drinks strong which they did. Just ask. Also, for coffee lover try their coffee mexicana. As Jackie said (I'm not a coffee drinker) she likes pretty drinks.Pools and beach. We spent most of our time on the beach. The beach is small, but adequate for the number of people who were actually on the beach. We stayed by the pavillons for shade, but found in the afternoon about 1 PM you started to get shade from the buiding on the beach down by the quiet pool. The beach does have rocks and glass, but it was fun walking it (just pay attention). You also get the use of nonmotorized water craft. These include 5 hobie cat sailboats, parasailing surfboards, kayaks, and paddleboats. You will have to sign a waiver and pay a reef fee ($2) to use any of these, but if you keep the band they give you for the reef fee you will only have to pay it once.Shopping. There are all kinds of relative expensive shopping areas near the Riu Cancun. You can also catch a bus right in front of the Riu to Market 28 (Bus R2 or R15--the ones with WalMart signs on them). Go to the Walmart, get off the bus, walk back one block and turn left. Walk three blocks and you will be there.We only did one trip and that was to Chichen Itza. It was a terrific tour. I would suggest you go and climb the pyramid while you still can. It is my understanding that they are planning to close the pyramid down from tourist next year.Some gripes. A lot of people have asked about topless women at the Riu. There were in fact about 5 or 6 on the beach and by the pool each day. Now I know this is going to sound prudish, but I think the women who do this aren't very bright or they aren't very well mannered. Mexico is a conservative Catholic country. If you feel you must be "free" sun yourself do so on your balcony. If a man were to stop and stare at one of these women they would be considered borish. So are the women who display themselves like that.They sell Cuban cigars and there are some people who feel they must smoke them where food is being served. Give me a break! They smell like garbage and I didn't appreciate the Cigar smokers in the restaurant (even in the smoking section).All in all, we found the Riu to be a terrific value and would recommend it to all.

by wharfrock

Hello all Cancun fans,

Going to Cancun on the 25th of April.
Any other Nova Scotians flying from Halifax and staying at the Riu Cancun?
Any others from anywhere staying at the Riu Cancun?

David