Royal Islander

Blvd Kukulcan Km 17, Lote 51 Zona Hotelera, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula, 77500, Mexico

The Royal Islander
Booking.com Expedia.com HotelTravel.com

• Very satisfied

I've stayed at the royal islander the past 2 times i was in cancun. i really liked this place. i found the rooms to be very nice and clean and the whole atmosphere to be quite nice. the staff are very friendly and helpful. i found this resort to be very modern, well kept, clean, and felt very safe here.

Unique Quality: the royal islander has one huge pool in the courtyard that kinda looks like 3 big circles and has a sit up pool bar. there is also a kids pool. the rooms are very nice and feature cable tv, central air, kitchens, and nice furniture.

More about Royal Islander

The Royal Resorts.
We have...

by MN-Angie

The Royal Resorts.
We have stayed in The Royal Islander, The Royal Carribbean, and The Royal Sands.
Have visited The Royal Mayan, but never stayed there. See restaurant note!
weekly rates, can't remember. Perfect place. Well worth the price. Have everything. You stay here you never have to leave for anything. Great kid activities, Awesome welcome party!

Roayl Resorts

We have been staying at the Royal Islander for 8 years and always look forward to going back. In 2006, we will be staying in 3 of the Royal resorts for a total of 5 weeks in February and March. The accomodations are wonderful, the food is delicious and resonably priced. Best of all is the level of friendly, courteous service we receive from all the Royal personnel. The damage to the all 5 of the Roayl properties was minimal and I understand that they were open for business as of November 5th. The Royal Resorts consist of: Vacation Club International (VCI); Royal Myan; Royal Carribbean; Royal Islander; and the RoyaL Sands.

I know why its called Royal.

by TripAdvisor Member capman100

Its called the ROYAL Islander because guests are treated like royalty. This is a truly great hotel. I concur with previous reviews of the Islander regarding cleanliness, beauty of the grounds, quality of the rooms, etc., but the thing that sets this hotel apart is the truly outstanding service and friendly attitude of all staff members we came in contact with. They seem to genuinely care about your needs and desires. I've stayed at hundreds of hotels of every level, from Marriott to Hyatt, Hilton, Four Seasons, etc. and never have I been treated so well by so many hotel workers. The Islander is the best. An example of how you are treated by Royal Resorts is the fact that I took the free shuttle to the Royal's VCI resort ont the north end of the island. I was so taken by the beauty of the landscaping and beach there, I missed my shuttle back to the Islander and had no money with me. Upon telling the bellman, he immediately gave me correct change for the city bus back to the Islander and directed me to the bus stop. WOW! In this day of lax customer service, the Royals really stand out.

The other thing that really seperates the Royals is the outrageously cheap prices on the excellent food in the restaurants. I was shocked and delighted at the lack of price gouging!

As far as the beach is concerned, it is beautiful, but there are still (as of Jan. '06),many exposed rocks where the beach used to be. The sand is coming back, but it is still not safe to get in the warm beautiful water. Next best thing is to walk along the beach and let the waves hit you as you stroll.

Bottom line: if you want a beautiful comfortable hotel, in a great location, with fabulous customer service, stay at the Royal Islander.

My Best Vacation Ever!

The Royal Islander was great! The hotel was beautiful, the staff was courteous and everything was just perfect. This was my best vacation ever, by far. My friends and I loved the swim up bar! There were always activities for the guests and the staff made sure we weren't bored. Our concierge wasn't the greatest, but then again we were never in our villa so it was hard for him to find us. All the service was great and i'm going back next year.

Fantastic Time - Gorgeous Weather!!!

by TripAdvisor Member richtomcar

We just got back late last night from the Royal Islander. We stayed from 11/27-12/03/05 and the resort was beautiful. The food was delicious and the staff was absolutely wonderful. They were so nice and really wanted to make sure guests were enjoying their vacation. We stayed with our friends in their timeshare and were very impressed with the resort. I highly recommend this resort.

Royal Resorts Vacation

My husband and two children stayed at the Royal Islander From January 28th thru February 4th. You are pampered from the time you set foot in the door until you are getting into your transportation to leave. This complex has many activities for the whole family, but I was most impressed with the childrens activities. My sisters family of four also stayed with us and we had plenty of room in our condo. We had a beautiful view of the ocean and really enjoyed the warm weather. I was a little apprehensive about traveling to Cancun, but I am very glad that we did. The amount of devastation in this area is amazing and very sad. These people are working very hard to get things back and running and are doing a wonderful job. There was not a single thing that we could not do right now that they offered before. There were plenty of restaruants and activities in the resort and in the surrounding area. The big question that people have is, "how is the ocean and beach?" It varies from day to day. See the attached pictures, It was rocky at first, then became nice and sandy when the ship was dredging in front of the condo, then when we left it was really windy and the beach was pretty rocky again. You definently can enjoy the ocean and the sand even when it isn't at its best

Watch Out for the Sticky Fingered Maids!!

We stayed at the Royal Islander for our honeymoon. It was a gift from my husband's parents. They said that they found a great 5 star hotel that claimed to cater to honeymooners. They were told they had bought us the honeymoon suite for 6 days. I was very excited to see the photos, the suite was beautiful, a nice big bed, gorgeous views, and the like. His parents were lied to. When we arrived at the hotel, the staff was stiff and sterile as they welcomed us and directed us to our room. We soon discovered our luxe "honeymoon suite- which the staff had sold my in laws, was, in fact, a "studio"- i.e. two very small beds, construction noise 24/7 and quite possibly the most temperamental a/c ever.
Fine, we thought- we were newlyweds and nothing could ruin our happiness at that time, and I thought perhaps it would be nice to share a small bed and sleep that much closer to each other. I took a shower that night- being that I am female I require two towels. I used both, expecting more to be provided at request. No such luck. PLUS our room was so humid that they didn't even dry- so the next day we had wet towels. It gets worse. You see, I am not a complainer, so it had to get worse before I would lodge a complaint. We climbed the Chichen Itza pyramid on our third day, and had to be at the busses around 6:55 am. I thought, "what use is it to take my purse to the middle of the jungle?! My husband had all the money, so I carefully hid it in the bottom of my purse, in the bottom of a shopping bag BEHIND two suitcases. We came back from the pyramid around 9pm that day, and went to sleep.
The next day I was wiped, totally completely exhausted. I'm not used to heat and humidity, so it really knocked me out. We layed low most of the day, but I was feeling better that night, and decided to go out. I got all dressed up, and went to grab my wallet in case they asked for i.d. at any of the clubs. It was GONE. All my credit cards, all of our gift cards from the wedding, everything. We immediately searched the room, thinking I had misplaced it. Nope, gone. So, we went to the front desk and asked if perhaps one of the staff had found it in the halls. Nope. At this point, I knew that someone had taken it. When I travel, I am very meticulous about where I place my photo i.d.- as I know it's the only way to get me back in the states to get me home. On top of it all, the staff was SOO RUDE. Accusing me of trying to get the maids in trouble and what use would a little old Mexican woman have with a blue eyed blonde haired photo i.d. and the like. They told me that the maid had worked there for ten years and had never taken anything, and so on. A couple days later, we saw this maid. If she had worked at the resort for ten years, they must have hired her when she was seven. Little old Mexican lady my eye. The hotel did nothing to help me get the necessary paperwork to return home, on the contrary, they asked us to pay to use one of the computers to find our own way. They made me feel so badly about being stolen from, you would have thought I drowned a baby in their pool. Don't visit the Royal Islander if you expect a friendly, helpful environment. They absolutely ruined our honeymoon.

Relaxing Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member cancunbarbie

We stayed at the Royal Islander week 51 or Dec. 24th - Dec. 31st. We exchanged through Interval and stayed in a lock off unit which consisted of 2 double beds, small fridge, safe, walk in closet, separate vanity w/1 sink, and a tub/shower w/toilet. It was a really nice spacious room for the 2 of us. The room was cleaned daily except on Sunday which was the maids day off. The hotel itself is part of 3 Royal hotels that sit next to each other. All 3 hotels were very clean and lovely. People were always working on the grounds and the hotels didn't appear like they had any sort of hurricane damage. The only visible damage is from the trees in the courtyard and the sink holes visible on the beach side of the hotels. We ate at a couple of the restaurants w/in the resorts - A few times at Pacos Tacos at the Islander which was ok-good Mexican food, once at Tradewinds at the Caribbean where we ate on Wed. night for the Italian Buffet which was really good, but $23 US dollars for Italian food on a buffet seemed a bit high to us, and 2 nights we ordered pizza through the resort that we had delivered to our room which was really good. Those were the only places w/in the resorts that we ate at. We really liked how the hotels have you use your room key to pay for items in any of the Royal resorts. So if you wanted a drink on the beach, food from the on-site grocery store, or dinner in one of the restaurants, all you had to do was hand over your room key and the purchases were charged to your room. Then you settled up on your bill at the end of the week. Much more convenient than having to carry cash around when you go to the beach! As far as the beach and its condition....well, there is a lot of sand that needs to come back. Yes, there is a nice beach in front of the tri-royals, but getting in the water and enjoying a nice swim is almost impossible because of the exposed rocks. My suggestion for the next few months if you don't want to tip toe around, is to take some shoes to wear when you enter the ocean. This was our 4th Christmas in a row in Cancun and the weather couldn't have been more beautiful. From about 8 in the morning until 3 in the afternoon, the weather was warmer than we remembered in the past. The sun was shining and our tans from the week were beautiful! We couldn't have asked for better weather. Overall, our stay at the Islander was wonderful. The staff was friendly, the resort was clean, the shuttle in between the Royal resorts was great,and the food was good.
I will be happy to answer any questions anyone has. Just email me at estes519@cox.net

The Way to Go

Visited the Royal Islander Jan 28th-Feb 4th, 2006. (Week 4 in Time Share talk...) The quality and cleanliness of the hotel, the grounds, the staff and the restaurants was very impressive.
Being this was my first time in Cancun I wasn't really sure what to expect. The Royals (Islander, Caribbean, Mayan, Sands) were in tip-top excellent shape compared to the hotels around them. The hurricane damage to the whole city was horrible. You can tell they are all trying really hard to pull things together for 'spring-breakers'. The only evident damage was to the front lawns on the beachside, and the lack of sand on the beaches. Many rocks deterred us from ever swimming in front of our resort. Walking the beach was enough for me. We had great 80 degree weather. Even got a tan/burn on the cloudy days.

RESTAURANTS-
Ate out almost every evening (Hacienda Sisal-totally worth it) (Carlos n Charlies- Do it at least once!) (La Distelleria- good mexican) (Bubba Gumps- high price, but tasty). Never got sick.
Restaurants at the 3 Royals were so so. Highly recommend the Fried Grouper sandwich, the pizza, and the Bushwacker drinks.

DOWNTOWN-
Over half of the fun bars were closed (Dady Os, Senor Frogs, The City) The only ones we hit were Congo, which was pretty happening once 11pm hit, the Corona Bar, Carlos & Charlies, and a little swing bar. Dady Rocks wanted ridiculous money for admission and drinks, and The One strip club was way overpriced as well. We only spent one night downtown, it got spendy.

ALCOHOL-
If you can wait til Happy Hour (1-5pm) your bar/pool tab stays pretty reasonable. *Don't waste your money on the liquor at the hotel grocery store. If you can make it down to Costco or Walmart (downtown, take the bus), you'll pay about half the price for each bottle.
Pool side bartenders at the Islander were the fatest. Having the Club Cards really was the best part of staying at the Royal Resorts. Drink service at the VCI was the slowest.

ACTIVITIES/EXCURSIONS-
We went through the onsite company, Thomas Moore Travel, who set us up for a snorkeling excursion to Puerto Morelos. Round trip transportation, meal, and equip cost $59 per person. We were the only ones on our excursion, and it lasted from 11-430pm. A local fisherman (Paco) took us and another couple who were visiting the small little fishing town out on the water for almost three hours. Saw schools of fish, lobster, baracuda, coral. Overall, probably give it a 5.5 out of 10.

Side note- Talked to a woman who swam with the dolphins at Isla Muerejes. Said she would've paid three times the ($130) price, and raved about it.

We also took a morning to slink off to Playa Del Carmen. Take the city bus (7 pesos) down to the bus station, and pay $3 bucks to hop a nice one hour charter to Playa del Carmen. This little town has a nice beach charm, good shopping, topless sun bathers, and I'm sure if you stayed a while and talked to some locals you could really find some fun things to do. The 2 major turnoffs- stinky seaweed on the beaches, and questionable restaurant food (guess we got a little spoiled by the Royals). Caught a cab back to our resort for $30. I would probably consider revisiting this location for future vacations. Don't forget hand sanitizer.

We also hopped the Royal shuttle to the Sands, and hopped their shuttle to the very first Royal resort- VCI (Club International, I think...) Definitely evident that this was the first one, the lobby had a horribly musty smell. The beach however totally made up for it. I really wish we would've discovered it earlier. Fine fine fine white sand, palm trees on the beaches, no waves, clear blue water. Smaller crowd. The pool there was not heated, but we spent all our time on the beach anyhow.

OVERALL CONCLUSION
As 20-somethings, we didn't find the Royal Resorts all that thrilling from an entertainment perspective. They are geared towards the old folks, most likely because they're the only ones who can afford the time shares there.
Would definitely reccommend the Royal Resorts to anyone looking to get away, soak up the sun, and relax. Just make sure you are up by 7am claiming your chair at the pool.

How far is one hotel from another?

by maribel85

Hello! i had a few questions i hope somebody can be kind enough to take their time and answer.

I'm gonna be on Fiesta Americana Grand Aqua, and a friend of mine is gonna be on the Royal Islander.. Are they too faraway from each other??

I'm mexican so we're gonna be looking for a nice restaurant, with great traditional seafood, what can you recommend? it doesn't have to be luxurious nor turistic, we're looking for for taste mostly.

Is there somebody out there who's going to that hotel the first days of August? let me know. thanks bye!!

RE: How far is one hotel from another?

by lizzytex

Sorry, I will be in Cancun August 11th - 14th. You'll have to write to me if you find a great restaurant! I'd actually like to head over to Isla Mujeres one day and perhaps have dinner there, as I've never been. Hope you have (had) a fantastic time!! Also, let me know about that hotel. I'm staying at the Gran Melia but it's gotten mixed reviews. Wasn't ready to drop the $$$ for the Aqua!
Liz :)