Royal Mayan

Boulevard Kukulcan Retorno Gucumatz, Lote 49 Int. 4 Segunda Etapa, Cancun, 77500, Mexico

The Royal Mayan
Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

• The Grand Mayan great and timeshare scam free

The Grand Mayan was a great scam free vacation, we even bought timeshare through Global Golf Connections and got a great deal. The hotel was clean and the rooms turned down daily, I wish I could have turned down some of the great food that was on offer that way I would be 10lbs lighter lol. I had heard a lot of noise about timeshare scams at The Grand Mayan and that vacationers were getting ripped off and having their whole vacation ruined through timeshare scam. But Global Golf Connections really clean up the act their and got us a great deal on a timeshare at The Grand Mayan. The only thing I could say about the hotel is that they could do with a few more deck chairs as when it gets crowded finding a decent sun spot is a bit of a mission.

Unique Quality: The Grand Mayan in general had good facilities, clean tidy with great food and friendly staff.

Directions: NUEVO VALLARTA
    Av. Paseo de las Moras s/n
    Fracc. Náutico Turistico Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit,
    C.P. 63735 México
    Phone: +52 (322) 226.40.03
    Fax: +52 (322) 226.40.66
    conciergenv@grandmayan.com.mx

• Luxuriously native and warm

This resort is one of the earlier Royal Resorts, but I think it has the most character. The condos have a lot of ornately carved doors and wood trim and are really warm and comfortable in contrast the sun drenched surroundings. We spent our honeymoon there and it was perfect as a romantic getaway. The condos are very spacious and comfortable.

Unique Quality: The staff are exceptionally friendly, the pools are very spacious and landscaped, and you can order a drink from your beach chair. The services desk is very helpful in arranging tours and activities. The onsite restaurants are great food.

More about Royal Mayan

Royal Mayan Royal Treatment

I stayed at the Royal Mayan with six friends from April 29, 2006 to May 6, 2006. The weather was perfect! The workers were very friendly and attentive. They will know you by your first name. We had a wonderful time even though we could not swim in the ocean due to a jelly fish warning. I highly recommend this hotel and Cancun in general. It is an unreal experience.

The Royal Mayan is nice!

We exchanged into the Royal Mayan thru Interval. This hotel has some of the most scenic ocean views I've ever seen. Breathtaking! The LaPalapa restaurant on the grounds is excellent, however, eat at the CAPTAIN'S COVE across the street (also owned by Royal Resorts) at your own risk! My husband and my brother both suffered "Montezuma's revenge" from eating there the second night we were in Cancun. My husband then found out from some golfing buddies they were also sick! My husband ended up having to go to the doctor. The Royal Mayan was extremely solicitous when we called them about his condition. They could not have been more accommodating, even escorting him to the Royal Caribbean next door for the doctor's visit and paying for the visit as well as our meal at Captain's Cove.

Otherwise, we had a wonderful villa, clean, roomy with all the usual timeshare plusses. Staff could not have been more pleasant. This is our third visit and even though our trip was cut short because of hurrican Wilma (darn you Wilma!), we will return to Cancun!

Royal Mayan is perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member rushgirl

Just got back from the Royal Mayan in Cancun and we had a great time. We had a two bedroom/two bath oceanfront timeshare with kitchen and livingroom plus the best oceanview you could ask for. The food at La Palapa was very good and the service at the entire hotel was on the ball.

A couple things I would do that might help out the next visitor is:
- Go to Walmart if you need groceries. You can take the bus there and a taxi on the way back. It's much cheaper than the resort's store.
- Get up early to get your beach umbrella, they go quick, we didn't have any problems but some people found it hard to obtain an umbrella if they came down around 8 AM or later.
- Happy hour drinks were great and decently priced!
- Resort is in a great location!
- When arriving from the airport, get a regular sized taxi rather than a van if possible. They charge $40 for a van and only $22 for the reg. sized car.
- Fitness center at the Royal Sands was very nice as was their spa.

- Beaches were in great shape and though inland it's obvious trees were damaged, our resort was completely back to normal with no signs of damage.

Hope this helps anyone planning a trip to Cancun soon!

El Conquistador at The Royal...

by MN-Angie

El Conquistador at The Royal Mayan Resort. Fabulous!!! This was always my husband and my last night out before we came back to Minnesota. Very expensive, but well
worth it. Their ceasar salads were wonderful-handmade at your table. Can't remember
the other main courses, but all was wonderful!
Pricey, but worth it. Also, dress up. It's a very classy restaurant. We did NOT take
our children there. This was our night out-they stayed in the hotel and ordered pizza!

Excellent from all points

by TripAdvisor Member WillRogers

All of the Royal resorts came through the hurricane with minimal damage. We stayed at the Royal Mayan. Room was the cleanest ever. Their two restaurants, La Conquistador and the Palapa are rated among the best in Cancun. Service by all staff was superb.

You have access to the other pools at the Royal Caribbean and Islander along with the Sands. The pools are heated except the Mayan.

We rented a Villa consisting of two bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen, dining area, living room area. Includes 3 phones, 3 TVs. The buildings were just painted and look great. If you ever have a chance to stay here, take it. Just read up on the reviews. Also check them out at [-----].

Wonderfull

by TripAdvisor Member Goddess1nk

I rented a timeshare off an owner for the Royal Carribean. The timeshare owner however tried to screw us over and didnt pay her yearly fee's and our room was given away.

The Royal Resorts however were extreamly kind to us and gave us a room at the Royal Mayan. I was a little disapointed at first, but i actually enjoyed the Mayan just as much as the Carribean.

The Outside resturant there was very good and extreamly inexpensive.

The service was good, I did feel that they didnt give us the best attention with the food factor because i am only 22 and look younger then that. That was the only thing i was upset about, because they were giving people in their 40s and up supreame servince and mine was fair.

I would deffinitly go back and look forward to it!

Great Resort!

by TripAdvisor Member VBar007

This was our first time in Cancun and to the Royal Mayan. Here are my notes:
- The Royal Mayan had the best exchange rates, with no commission, that we could find. We actually exchanged money at the airport in Los Angeles believing that the hotel would try to rip us off. After arriving and comparing other rates that we saw at the airports in Mexico City and Cancun, as well as around the town of Cancun, the Royal Mayan had the best rate!
- Their on-site grocery store is well stocked and reasonably priced! We trekked out all the way to and from Wal-Mart on the non-air-conditioned bus just to later realize that we could have purchased the same items for roughly the same amount on-site. The savings of merely a few pesos was not worth the time and energy (not to mention the sweat, even at night!) to go all the way to out to Wal-Mart. Besides, they are typically so busy the wait in any of the 20ish lines at Wal-Mart was over 15 minutes.
- Coffee. If you love to have your regular cup of coffee in the morning, I suggest packing your own. The coffee in Cancun that we found was no where near "good." There is a coffee machine in the room, so just pack a few filters and some coffee in ziploc. Or if you're an instant coffee kinda person, bring your own instant! After two seperate purchases of really bad coffee we gave up. And the coffee in their restaurants also was not very good.
- Bartolo's Pizza is GREAT and the price is right! We ordered Domino's the first night. For a large one-topping pizza (10 slices) and a 2ltr of Coke Light and the cost was over $22USD. Later in the week we ordered Bartolos (their onsite pizza service) and it was amazingly good! For a large three-topping pizza (12 slices) and a 2ltr our cost was a little less than $15USD.
- The breakfast buffet offered at La Veranda at the Royal Sands (their sister resort) is great. It's very American (eggs, sausage, potatoes, bagels, etc.) with an excellent waffle and omelette bar. It also offers a few very good "mexican" choices. The cost is about $10USD per person. However, if you want to eat for free then definatley take advantage of the "sales pitch" which typically lasts about 30 minutes if you don't ask too many questions. It's worth it.
- The breakfast buffet at Tradewinds at the Royal Carribean (neighboring sister resort) is not as great as La Veranda, but still good.
- Lunch time options... La Palapa at the Royal Mayan is very good and reasonably priced. La Palapa at the Royal Sands is also good, but the menu options at the Mayan are definately tastier. We gave up early to look for authenic Mexican food in Cancun. It's very touristy, and very American. The hotel offered some very good choices, though, and La Veranda, at the Royal Sands, offered a FABULOUS tortilla soup.
- Take a look at the The SPA if you are interested in a treatment. Prices are good and their "specials" are well discounted. Much better prices for similiar services that you'd find at a SPA anywhere Southern California (in my opinion).
- The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The beds are no where near being 5 stars, as they are very hard and not very comfortable. But you get over it once you relax in the pool :)
- The bathrooms need some help. Again, no where near 5 stars. However, if you're one who like good water pressure, I truly believe that no where else on earth will you find water pressure like at the Mayan. It will practicaly knock you over if you don't hold on for dear life or adjust the guages.
- The "personal concierge" that you're assigned once you arrive comes in handy every now and again if you have questions. However, they start off wanting to get your vacation "scheduled" (ie. tours, etc.). This is all stuff that you can do yourself if you choose down by the pool at the Thomas Moore travel booth, or inside the lobby (lower level) at the Thomas Moore desk. They'll cost a pretty penny, but if you really want to go somewhere check here first. All of their tours are specifically for Royal Resorts guests only so you don't waste time going from Hotel to Hotel to pick people up.
- Chichenitza Tours... it's worth going at least once in your lifetime. Take at least 3 bottles of frozen water (for two people), lots of sunblock, a visor, a backpack (no shoulder bags), comfy shoes - and bug repellent. Don't forget the bug repellent. And if at all possible, leave smaller children at home - anybody younger than say 10 will probably rather be at the pool. It's very hot, you do a lot of walking, and a lot of listening. Again, to young children this can become very boring. Definately climb to the top of the pyramid. Though it may be a bit scary to come down, if you do so slowly and carefully, you'll be fine. The feeling of accomplishment once you arrive at the top and the view is worth it! The lunch buffet on this tour is not very good. I recommend ordering Bartolo's Pizza once you arrive back at the resort. It's a great reward after a long day!
- Happy Hour prices are great! The drinks are good. You can swim right up to the bar from one of the pools :)
- Don't forget to sign out some of the pool noodles from the towel room. These make relaxing in the pool a wonderful experience.

Well, these were a few of the things that came to mind right now. Overall, without question, my husband and I recommend this resort and will definately return to the Royal Resorts one day!

Very, Very, Nice. Cancun is back to normal.

by TripAdvisor Member csamma

We really enjoyed our stay at the Royal Mayan. We were a little hesitant going after hearing many horror stories that Cancun was still a mess after the big hurricane. Once we stepped into the hotel I knew it was going to be a very enjoyable week. The service was top-notch. The hotel itself was remarkably clean and had people working to keep it clean around the clock. The food at El Conquistador was excellent and well worth making a reservation for. It is right in the hotel. Even La Palapa which was in between the two pools was very good and prices were VERY reasonable. Take advantage of going to the hotels connected to the Mayan. They are all affiliated with each other. They also have a shuttle which is complimentary to go to them.
Cancun itself was to me, completely fine. Downtown was open with TONS to do. All the malls seemed fine and plenty of shopping and dining options are available. There isdefiniteevidence of the damage from the hurricane, but the Mayan is fine and there is no need to worry about going there. You will have a great time. It was almost like being on a cruise with all the activities and options available to you. I cant wait to go back !!!!!!!!!

A very nice place to stay

Let me start by stating that I typically do not bother to comment on things like this, but that the level of quality of this hotel has prompted me to do so.

My wife and I stayed a week at the Royal Mayan with good friends of ours and left the kids at home. When initially planning this trip, we knew we wanted to stay in Cancun and wanted to trade our timeshare, but did not know which hotel to pick. After going through the RCI/Interval Guidebook and comparing where we COULD stay to what was recommended, we settled on the Mayan. You never know how true a review is until you can check it out yourself.

From the cleanliness, to the friendliness of the staff, we were thouroughly impressed. The food is amazing (Tacos de Pescados brought to us while lying on the beach was our favorite) and the drinks are great (they make a mean Cadillac Margarita). It looked to us based on the design of the hotel, that every room but a few at the back have an ocean view.

One recommendation: there is a store in the Hotel which has decent prices to buy drinks, food, etc, but we ventured on the bus down to Walmart and stocked up on a couple cases of water and beer. This saved us a bunch, but we were all hot and sweaty and tired by the end of the trip. Most people would be happy to just buy at the market and spend the small difference in price - a six-pack of beer in the market was $5.50 US versus about $3.30 at Walmart and water was 80cents a bottle versus $6.00 for a case. But either way, it does save some money to bring a soft-cooler down there with you and stock up some drinks with ice and bring it to the pool/beach. Just buy the cans because they don't like the glass around the pool.

Again, I would highly recommend this wonderful place - there is a beach volleyball court right out on the beach (women's heigth net) and the view is amazing. It is also nice to be able to go between the 3 hotels that are all connected (Mayan, Caribbean, Islander) - there was always something to do. This is why I liked this hotel better than even the newer Royal Sands which is pretty far away from these 3 hotels. One last thing - at night - the Mayan is the place to be - the other 2 hotels were DEAD, while the the bar and restaurant at the Mayan were pretty happening.

Where to stay for 1 night b4 checking into Royal Mayan?

by Jazzy40

Hi Everyone!

My bf and I are leaving this Friday to stay at the Royal Mayan for 1 week (check-in Saturday). We've both never been to Cancun before and are looking for a nice place to stay Friday night. BF was thinking maybe of downtown? We're looking for something nice (but not TOO expensive!). We're both early 40's.

Please help! I'd like to book it online in the next few days.

Many thanks!!!!
Samantha

Re: Where to stay for 1 night b4 checking into Royal Mayan?

by Jazzy40

I ended up booking a night at the Gran Melia Cancun. I hope that's a good choice! The reviews on this site were very helpful and this seemed to be the best choice based on availability. Alot of my other choices had no availability, so I am happy.

Happy travelling, all!