Royal Solaris Cancun

Boulevard Kukulcan Km 20.5, Hotel Zone, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula, 77500, Mexico

Booking.com BookIt.com Expedia.com

• cockroaches in the room and in the service areas

The hotel looks nice and it appears to be very clean. However, it is infested with cockroaches, and the swimming pool has a sewage smell!!! We saw the 1.5 inch cockroaches when we arrived, in the first evening, in the main tower, near the employee service area. The very first morning I saw one 1.5 inch cockroach in my room, running from the bathroom to the closed, where my clothes and luggage was located. I jumped out of the bed and hit it with a slipper. I placed a piece of soap near it, to show the size of the bug, and the logo of the hotel, and took a picture. I decided there is no way I will stay in this hotel; I do not need these bugs around me, or in my bags to come home with me. I contacted the front desk and requested to talk to the hotel manager. They refused, stating that the hotel manager is too busy to talk to me. The front desk offered to change my room, and upgrade it to an ocean view room. I told them that their hotel is infested and that I need to be transferred to their other property, GR Royal Solaris. The front desk told me that they never had any complaints regarding cockroaches. I insisted that since I’ve seen two in the first two days, I find it hard to believe they are not aware of the problem, and that I need to move to the other hotel. I waited for 4 hours to be contacted by a hotel manager, and they refused to talk to me. The front desk insisted that if I want to move to the GR Royal Solaris I have to come to the front desk and pay more. I contacted Orbitz and explained the cockroach infestation, and that I need to go to another hotel. They listened very politely, but did absolutely nothing to help. I ended up paying more, to move to the GR Royal Solaris with my family. While I was at the front desk paying for the transfer, my hotel room was searched, and the “evidence” removed in a hurry by the hotel employees. The waste baskets were overturned, things in the room were moved around until the bug was found and removed before I returned to my room, in spite of the fact that I had the “do not disturb” sign on the door. I understood then why the front desk personnel were laughing at me saying that I have no proof. Little did they know I already took the picture before leaving the room. When we were leaving, a front desk employee smiled, and admitted that yes, they fumigate in one place, and the cockroaches run in all other directions.

GR Royal Solaris was clean, I did not see any bugs, the pool did not smell of sewage, and the food was O.K. The entertaining team was fantastic, and we all ended up having a good time. I feel however that I was forced into paying more in order to have a room without disgusting insects, and I wasted two precious days of vacation unpacking, packing, be mistreated by the hotel management, move to another hotel, wait in line to check in again, get new rooms with bad view, have to request to change it…very bad management. I will not return to a Royal Solaris property anywhere, anytime.

Unique Quality: When I see cockroaches in the room and in the service area, I don't care about anithing else. Don't go there!

• Royal Solaris Good Time

My family and I stayed for 8 days in late August and had a great time. The food was so so, but as mentioned it's AI so you get what you pay for. The breakfasts were good, lunch was okay and dinner was hit/miss. There was always something for everyone. The staff was great. Poolside entertainment was really good, though some events don't last long. Pool seemed dirty at times even though I did see them cleaning it every day and night, but people stayed in it all day. If you don't want a good active pool scene and just want to chill out, go next door to the Tower. The beach was good and we were able to swim almost every day until Hurricane Dean showed up. On that note, the entire hotel staff was outstanding. A lot of the beach was lost, but the hotel bounced right back and by the following day we were poolside. I would definitely go back.

• joyryd's Profile Photo

Royal Solaris- true Royalty!

We could not have asked for a better hotel! Ok, so it was a bit humid in our room. But it is HUMID IN CANCUN...PERIOD! People who complain about the humidity in the hotels in Cancun should realize that important point. The service was great. The drinks could have been stronger, but if you tip your waiter BEFORE they start mixing, trust me- you'll feel the effects! Several different pools on site. Never a lack of seating or towels. We had the all-inclusive package, but there were many different restaurants on site to fit any budget.

Unique Quality: Fantastic view. The hotel is situated on the skinny stretch of land known as the "Hotel Zone." One side of the hotel looks over the Lagoon side of Cancun; the other has amazing views of the Caribbean Sea. We were fortunate enough to have a Caribe view room and it truly was breathtaking!

Directions: located in the Hotel Zone of Cancun

• Bus Service was Great

Hotel has atmosphere in the old section and enjoyed the feel of the area, loved the porticos and patios. New section has nicer pool area. Beach area was fine. Great breakfast and all day coffee in the small restaurant and enjoyed the lounge/living room bar area to meet with friends. Food was average and drinks for all-inclusive members were very watered down-beer was 3-2 beer. We were held 'captive' after a 4 hour wait for customs in the airport, by their courtesy check-in room. Waited for our representative for almost an hour , hot and tired-finally insisted we be shown to our room and they did find someone to give us the speil.............have no intention of buying a Time Share and spent the rest of the week dodging our representative. Not a relaxing vacation-never Cancun again.

Unique Quality: The old section has a lot of character. You can make a game out of dodging the timeshare sales people with all the halls and patios

• Butterfly72's Profile Photo

Great for the Money

The Royal Solaris is an all-inclusive hotel. They offer kayaking, massages on the beach, several different restaurants and daily entertainment and games by the pool.

The food was a 5 on a scale from 1 to 10 but when it's all you can eat...

The drinks are also included and that can make for some interesting events at the pool.

Unique Quality: Our room had a great view of the Carribbean Sea. Be sure to ask for an Ocean View Room.

The pool features a swim up bar that is jumpin'

• Brew6868's Profile Photo

Nice place nice people

I thoght the food was pretty good decent selection and ability to eat at the alacarte restuarnts as much as you wanted, which is different from most hotels in this region, also a late night snack bar with alcohol is open till 6am, people were nice and service was good if you tipped ok if not

• AVOID!!!

AVOID THE ROYAL SOLARIS!!!

We booked into the Royal Solaris via expedia.com for a trip 12/04-1/05. Unbeknownst to us, there are three (3) separate Solaris hotels near each other under this name, all owned by the same person (or so we were told).

The Royal Solaris Caribe and/or Marina, are under extensive renovation. We talked to other tourists who actually checked into those facilities only to see the dumpy, old hotels (under extensive, daily renovations) and demanded other acomodations elsewhere.

From the airport, we were taken directly to the third property that had just opened, the GR Solaris (or Grand Solaris). The hotel didn't confirm until two days later that this was not the hotel we booked. It definitely opened way too soon as the hotel and staff were just not ready for guests. Clearly, the hotel's only, and overriding, concern was not missing out on peak season dollars.

During our stay, workmen were in the building working on the property. Many staff had no idea about anything the hotel offered or could provide, and many of the advertised amenities didn't exist or were poorly provided, e.g., the food was TERRIBLE (and expedia.com had this hotel rated as 3 1/2 stars!). Moreover, no one paid any attention to our complaints. It was, quite frankly, terrible and a huge waste of hard-earned money.

Many, many things are terribly wrong at this hotel and property (too many to list) and some can never be fixed, i.e., structure. For example, hallway sounds on each floor resonate throughout the floor because the halls are barren - all stone floors, stucco walls, no carpets, etc. Consequently, when someone was talking normally at the elevator - about 100 feet from our room - we heard every word. In addition, our room had an adjoining door. You guessed it - we heard everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, in our neighbor's room. No soundprofing, insulation - whatever - that most normal hotels have.

See Below for more.

Unique Quality: The hotel is also just constructed badly, i.e., bad workmanship. For example, in the room with the pool table that opened the day before we left, the ceiling tiles had failed leaving gaping holes. Also during our stay, it rained one day. You guessed it - leaking water throughout. It was so bad that the so-called kids rooms (a TV on a dining room chair with a xbox) was closed because of fear of electrocution.

The only thing good about our trip was that we were in Cancun and tried to enjoy it the best we could with off-site activities daily. We paid for an all-inclusive but were definitely ripped off ( I used to be in the hotel business so I possess a level of knowledge about what our service and experience should have been).

So, this was my trip to the Royal Solaris and you are appropriately forewarned. I hope the Solaris gets its act together because it can be great and does have some wonderful people there, but I don't think it can or will. In my opinion, its on-site management (did I mention that this hotel has too many probems to list here?) was just plain bad, on a dialy basis. We do not plan on returning.

• lynluvs420's Profile Photo

Good value

First tme in Cancun, so i was in awe with Cancun, i could have slept on the beach and been cool. The room was ok, had 2 single beds, lagoon side..nothing special. Buffet breakfast everyday was exactly the same. Best place i found was the pool side snack bar , but only open from 11-4 so time is limited. Dinner is alright if u dont go to the Italian resturant, Lasagna was not like i expected. I have to admit i was intoxicated most of the time,...The Kamizazes are wonderful! Try an AZUL Margarita too. I didnt try any of the hotel offered watersports. I would stay there again for the price its good. Tips are not expected so if u tip the employees will treat ya better!!

Unique Quality: pool bar is nice. The Views from the balconys of the hotel are INSANE u must look and take pics!

Directions: Any local person familar with hotel zone will show ya

More about Royal Solaris Cancun

Street sign outside of royal solarisStreet sign outside of royal solaris

This is another resort but near royal solarisThis is another resort but near royal solaris

Royal Solaris Caribe......anybody been??

by Reis12

Me and a buddy are going to Royal Solaris for 1 week on Apirl 2nd. does anybody have any information on this hotel? is it far from the nightlife? since we are from canada i was also wondering if it is best to bring canadian money and switch it to peso's or if we are better off getting american cash even tho are dollar is worthless?

If anyone out there is going to be at this resort during this time, let me know and we can hook up at the ool bar for a cerveza...........

Re: Royal Solaris Caribe......anybody been??

by shabazeid

on the pacific side of mexico....the yukon dollar is half as strong as the american bill..i'd bet its the same on the atlantic side...i would recommend an atm card if you have one..less worry about finding an exchange booth/broker

Comments