Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Carretera Federal Cancun, Puerto Juarez, Km 306.5 S/N, Punta Maroma, Playa del Carmen CP 77710, MEX
Booking.com Expedia.com BookIt.com

Costs 69% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Secrets Maroma-my review

by TripAdvisor Member KrackersUD

Our group of 8 stayed at Secrets Maroma last week. It was their second week of operation. Overall, we had a nice time. Our check in was sort of a nightmare. Hotel mgr. did not have our reservations, but luckily, we saved hard copies of e-mails between him and our travel agent. He admitted his error and got us rooms in Building #25, but our first day (Saturday) was wasted. Just a quick note to future vistors, Secrets Maroma classifies all their rooms as beach front, but most are not. They may have a partial view of ocean, but views are mostly obstructed. I heard many complaints from honeymooners who thought they booked beach front rooms but were only given rooms that opened out to the pool area. Also, heard one honeymooner never got champagne or flowers in room as they had ordered. You should confirm and then re-confirm all bookings with Secrets Maroma. Don't leave anything open to their interpretations. Get your promises in writing and take correspondence with you on your trip as proof. I heard a number of complaints about locations of rooms and room service. I saw that none of the actual beach front rooms were in use during our week stay. I doubt any of these rooms were even ready for occupancy. Complex only seemed about 1/4 full. Pool area, and restaurants were not crowded.
Rooms were nice, but not as big as I expected. there is a large 4'x4' opening in wall between bathroom and sleep area, only covered by a shear linen curtain. No privacy from bathroom to sleep area. Light from bathroom shines right into sleep area. Toilet room and shower stall are side by side and have smoke glass doors that allows little privacy in these areas. Bathtub on balcony, that also allows little privacy. Rooms had some strange setups. They need to make corrections. Had to make numerous phone calls to housekeeping to get extra hangers, bedspread, bottle opener and other amenitities. Like I said, housekeeping needs to be fine tuned. It was "hit or miss" each day on whether or not your room would be made up or bed turned down at night. Flip a coin!
Bars in pool area served water downed drinks. I know this because I have a low tolerance for alchohol and never got any type of buzz from drinking at these locations. So I suspect they either water down the booze or your cheap liquor in name brand bottles. Go figure. Drinks at restaurants and lobby are full strength. Service around pool and on beach are great. Staff at these locations eager to serve and please. If you like your steaks or hamburgers well done, order them burnt, otherwise you'll get your meat medium. They didn't seem to understand what "well-done" meant. Oriental restaurant was not opened yet. Was informed they planned to open in about two weeks. Italian and French restaurants were good, even though some of the food selections were similar. Mexican restaurant opened, but we did not attend. They had a mexican buffet and caribbean buffet by pool area on two of the nights. Very entertaining, but food was same each night. Fire dancers were good. Open air theater for late night shows was hot and buggy. Pack some bug spray. Beach was very nice, but had limited huts to provide shade.
I can go on and on, but if you need to know more infor. just ask.
Summary - Secrets Maroma is nice. will revisit in a few years once they get their act together. Again - confirm all reservations and special requests over and over again. Hotel clerk told us room availability is on a first come first serve basis and they can't guarantee choice of rooms. To me, that's crazy.

Secrets Maroma Open??? Not even close...

by TripAdvisor Member AprilsTravel

This is to all the people who are trying to go to Secrets Maroma and stay in the Preferred Club....

I am a travel agent from Westlake, Ohio and have been terribly let down by Secrets just today. I booked my brother in law there for his honeymoon. He was to be reserved in a PREFERRED CLUB OCEANFRONT JUNIOR SUITE. They just got to the resort this morning and to their surprise - NO PREFERRED CLUB! The 2 Preferred Club building are not even open yet!!! They were supposed to have a jacuzzi on their terrace with these suites as well. They are still under construction, which will make the rest of their stay very pleasant as well. They were put into an ordinary oceanview junior suite. Their were a large amount of other guests they told me that were supposed to be in the preferred club also. I was on the phone with Mexico all morning. How can Secrets take a clients money, let the travel agent/tour operators/their direct website sell into inventory of a product/services they can't even provide???? You can even go right to their website and they are STILL selling the preferred club rooms (I tried it booking 3 days out from now). My brother in law's package also included a $100 Spa Credit and 15% off any other spa purchases they get...NO SPA EITHER! The spa isn't even up and running - for anything!!! The asian restaurant is not open yet either. What kind of company can say that they are NOW OPEN, and not notify their guests that their room/restaurants/spa is not going to be available? I sell Secrets Resorts all the time and I can honestly say... not anymore.

Secrets Maroma - nothing like their previous properties, unfortunately!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member lvany

We stayed at Secrets Maroma August 20-24th for our Anniversary. We honeymooned at Secrets Excellence Riviera Cancun (before they sold it) and had vacationed at Secrets Excellence Punta Cana (before they sold that!) So we are familiar with the company - LOVED our previous trips - and their amazing service and properties of the past, so our expectations were totally off base from our unfortunate experience with Secrets Maroma.

First - on the surface everything looked lovely, beautiful rooms, decor, design, etc. HOWEVER, the construction is not even close to done, and 1 month after they were supposed to be fully functional, they were still completing rooms, fountains, construction of the lobby, etc. There were areas that still didn't have furniture, the Disco for example had no seats when we arrived! Not good when you've had a few drinks! Air conditioning not working, and leaking all around. Showers hardly have water pressure and a few occassions of filling the bathtub with brown water - yikes!

Problems from the start - we booked a special with a guaranteed upgrade - of course, even though there were only 100 people at the resort, no upgrades available. This, we found out, was for 3 reasons. 1) Rooms were not completed or not functioning, 2) Travel agents had been given all the upgraded rooms for free 3) The spa, which was not open and one of the reasons we wanted to come to this resort - was being operated out of some of the premier swim out suites. Why not use a room with a garden view? Why utilize higher level rooms that people paid for???? Unacceptable to me. We made multiple calls and trips to the front desk which only after many hours and 2 days of pushing, our 3rd day they finally gave in and gave us our upgrade.

SPA - not open, and functioning out of a guest room as I mentioned. DID NOT want to use my spa credit that I also pre-paid for in a package, had to get front desk manager on the phone to sort out - took 30 minutes. Spa receptionist very rude in Spanish - and - unfortunately for her - I am fluent in Spanish - so I caught her speaking rudely and had to say something. THEN - when I had my massage on the beach, the entertainment staff set up AIR RIFLE SHOOTING directly next to the spa massage area. WHY???? The beach is huge and the spa area for massage is set up all the way to the side? Very distracting to hear rifles going off mid massage.

Restaurants - typically Secrets has been known for great food. WHERE did they come up with these menus? Cactus bark over raw sliced scallops, OX tail, Ostrich meat? TOO adventurous for people on an easy going vacation. We were very unhappy about this, because we always loved the food at the previous Secrets.

Service - With the exception of the front desk who are overwhelmed and untrained, the service at the Pool and in the restaurants was fantastic.

MAJOR ISSUES: Here is why I wont go back. The occupancy of the hotel was around 150 people when we left. The pool bar and pool chairs were totally full. They weren't even at or near capacity of hundereds of people. The pools are WAY too small for a resort of this size! The swim out pools are ONLY accessible to the people who book those rooms, and nobody was using them because there is no waiter service there anyway! They made beautiful architechtural ponds in front of the pools were there are beach chairs, but nobody lays there because you can't swim in them. Why didn't they use the space for winding pools? The restaurants are TINY! Our first night there was a 40 minute wait for Italian. THERE WERE ONLY 100 people at the resort!!!!! Not good. The club is tiny with a small dance floor and a round stage in the middle that fits 2-3 people, taking up most of the space. Very few places to sit. This was not well planned out. The daily activity sheet was always incorrect and always listed the wrong activities (for example, they do not do pool volleyball but it says it on the list EVERY DAY as part of the itinerary.)

We are not complainers, we LOVED the other Secrets resorts. Too bad they sold them off!

Wait at least 6 months before you book Secrets Maroma!

by TripAdvisor Member myflutterbi

I stayed at Secrets Maroma 08/24-08/29 and had the worst vacation of my life because of the incompleteion of the hotel itself (rooms, grounds, etc.) and bad service.

I will start by saying I'm a Travel Agent, so I can be picky. I was impressed with the look of the hotel and the food was fantastic. However, the hotel is severly under staffed and therefore, cannot provide the type of service this level of hotel should ALWAYS provide.

This hotel will be superb if they get all the kinks worked out, but for now, if one is thinking of booking here, please wait.

Still under construction and poor service is all inclusive!

by TripAdvisor Member Slackeriffic

Secrets Maroma is not done with construction and the service is slow and employees are incompetent. We have stayed at Secrets resorts in the past and we expected the same as before. Maybe in the future Secrets Maroma will be better. It took 2 hours to check in, then we were given a room already occupied (needless to say the other guests were less than pleased with us walking into their room). When we finally got our room it was not not finished, not clean, there were plumbing problems, no internet, no spa in the hotel yet, poor service with the smallest request (money exchange took 1 hour), employees have not been trained to "Secrets" standards. The mini fridge never worked, our front door would not shut all the way. I spent 6 days on the phone with the front desk trying to work things out and never once heard "sorry" or any sort of apology. Edgar, front desk manager said he would give us credit for massages and never did. We're very sad with our experience at Maroma, because we know how great Secrets can be.

Mosquitos and Plumbing Problems

by TripAdvisor Member yvon521

We were so excited to go to Secrets Maroma...by the end of 5 days we were ready to come home..The beach and ocean is beautiful....the hotel is not ready to do business...Our room was beautiful, the room service was excellent and then it ends there...the spa is not open yet, my husband and I had our massages in the same room , which I thought was odd (it was just a room with all the furniture removed) the services were just ok...not what you would expect from a resort...they were working on stone, gardens, painting, lightning, every where you walked at the resort they are trying to get it completed...it was not the best of feelings being watched by laborors as you were laying out at the pool or walking thru the main building...Our jacuzzi water was orange, our sink bowls would fill up with yellow water..Air conditioning in hour room was just awful, ..it was leaking over the top of the door inside the room. We had called for service 3 different times and they would come and tell us it would be ok, finally Gabriel, our host at the Tequilla seminar(which was very interesting) delivered us our tequilla we purchased, he could not believe the mess..he sent a plumber and they worked in our room for 3 hours (sawing a hole in the shower ceiling) during dinner time...they did not offer us another room and said they would be back in the morning...They did come and worked on it again...but it would shut off and the room would go up to 78 degrees...it was really inconviencing us and no one cared!!! They need more help!! And the MOSQUITOS are every where !!!! They need to spray every day and they don't do it...My husband and Istayed at the Moon Palace(up towards Cancun) and thier people spray every day..Secrets Maroma needs to do the same...They have a real problem, we were really bit up and so was alot of other people. The hotel needs about 6 months to get in operating order!!!!! .

When this resort is finished..PERFECTION

by TripAdvisor Member RhondaP

I am a travel agent and have been to most the resorts in the Mayan Riviera. This beach is still holding as the best!

Secrets Maroma will be the very best in the area when it is complete. Perfect for weddings and honeymoons..service is fantastic, I felt sad leaving the friends I had made! And the staff does make you feel like a friend.

I will refer anyone wanting a very special place to honeymoon, anniversary or just a very special trip to this place!

Sandals has meet its match, and more!!!

When you go if you need anything call the front desk, they will make sure you won't need it long!

Do take some one dollar bills when you go..these folks work very hard! And a little thank you goes a long way.

They have chosen the best to be your staff, so leave your cares at home..and men do take long pants for you dinners.
Enjoy and trust me you'll hate to leave too!

I will definitely be back!

by TripAdvisor Member NYCGirl81

We just got back from a 4 days/ 3 night stay at Secrets Maroma Beach. After reading a few of the reviews prior to leaving, I was a little worried about the opening of the resort (AC not working one wknd, brown water, etc...) I was also very worried that hurricane Gustav was going to ruin our 4-day wknd. However, we arrived on Sat 9/30 and the weather turned out to be perfect! Having stayed at Secrets Capri about 3 yrs ago, I was not disappointed w/ the level of service we received during our stay. The resort is spacious w/ very modern/ clean decor. The food was fantastic (as I expected from my previous Secret experience). We live in NYC and we felt like we were dining at a very expensive and posh 5-star restaurant that we normally would not be able to afford or get a reservation at. Both presentation and taste were top-notch. Not all the restaurants were opened yet but we were only there for 3 nights so it didn't bother us a bit.
The breakfast buffet at World Cafe was amazing to say the least. Lot of fresh food and tons of options. We eat very healthy and nothing tasted heavy or over saturated w/ oils like a lot of other all-inclusive resorts.
Our room was beautiful with a 4-post bed, large sitting area, a balcony, and a whirlpool tub and shower. The room was equipped w/ a safe, Ipod docking station, and a LG flat screen. I just loved the ambiance of the room! We did have a few glitches w/ getting our mini bar replenished w/ water and getting things delivered to the room. However, the service at the bar and restaurants were impeccable and I have nothing to complain about. All the staff worked very hard to ensure your happiness. The gym was nice w/ brand new equipments. They offered lots of activities throughout the day. The only thing was that the tennis/ basketball court was still under construction and the spa was not fully opened yet. They do offer complimentary shuttles to Capri if you need to use any of those facilities.
Overall, Secrets Maroma Beach was amazing and I can't wait to come back when they are fully open!

beautiful property, grand opening problems

by TripAdvisor Member cug2

We just returned from our Honeymoon at Secrets Maroma Beach. In a nut shell this is what we experienced:

PROS: Beach is very wide, clean white sand. Water is blue-green and very clear. Tiki umbrellas are great but grab one early if you need a shaded spot like me. There is a beach wait staff a little slow though, so we grabbed our own drinks.
Pools are great, especially the one closest to the ocean. Always an abundance of thick soft beach towels and comfortable wicker lounges. Great little pool menu during the day, for poppers or a sandwich. Also there is a grill on the beach, but we didn't eat there.
Room was awesome, beautifully decorated and the bed was very comfortable, sheets a little stiff(just spoiled from home). Nice balcony with chairs and a sofa. Nice view from third floor overlooking property and partial ocean. A/c was very good and bath water was clean after you ran it a few minutes.
Overall property appearance was very clean and luxurious, will be even prettier when plant life grows in. No bugs until it rained on our last day.
Servers really tried to make you comfortable, and we did tip everyone that deserved it. Only one crabby guy.

CONS: Spa wasn't opened(disappointed), had massages on the beach that we were told would be discounted and then they overcharged us when checking out. Capri was offering full spa services if you wanted to take the shuttle bus over.
Refrigerator was only restocked once, we had to call nightly for beverages. Room service was never correct with our food orders so it became our little joke about being surprised every time. They didn't put our promised Honeymoon rose petals out until we said something about it.
The maid service was hit or miss, sometimes we had towels sometimes we just got new bedding never everything at once.
Restaurants were ok. Bordeaux was very good, the buffet was great for breakfast, Oceana was hit or miss. The Grill was a bad experience. My husband was laughing pretty hard because he couldn't cut his steak so we said it was the poor donkey they dress up the night before(very sad for an Adults only resort) during the mexican festiva. A few others that we spoke to were disappointed with the donkey thing also. My grouper was very fishy and tough. Wine was good all around.
Drinks though out the resort were very good, nothing was watered down.
Floaters at the pool where grabbed up pretty fast, so you had to really hold on to one if you were lucky to get it.
When we decided to relax in the room a few times the on-command was not working could of been the satellite weather problems.
We are not into resort shows and magic so we didn't attend anything in the theater room, plus I was worried to see more poor animals dressed up in costumes in 90 degree heat. I only heard from one couple that the comedy night turned out to be a juggling act.

Overall it was a nice trip, we went down to Playa and shopped. Go in the evening it was really pretty with all of the lights and a little cooler. The Forum really helped us out before we left, thanks to all of you that posted info. Oh, if you see a black dog that lives on the resort beach to the right she has three new pups I named her maroma momma, please leave her a little treat behind. Thanks!

A fantastic resort!

by TripAdvisor Member phil6214

My wife and i were booked to stay at Secrets Capri for the 2nd week of our honeymoon (see seperate review on Capri), but on our arrival there we were offered 2 nights stay at Maroma Beach. I had seen it on the internet, and really liked the look of it, so we jumped at the opportunity....so glad that we did!

I'll start with the positives.
The layout of the resort is fantastic. The way the swimming pools wind their way around the resort is a very nice feature, and the pools themselves are a very nice size. The ocean front infinity pool is the perfect setting for lazing the day away.

The beach itself is absolutley wonderful; powder white sand and clear blue sea.

The suites are absolutley beautiful. A great size, good quality furniture and fixtures, in particular the bathrooms. The double width jacuzzi tubs are wonderful, and the separate shower is plenty big enough for two!

The food was fantastic. We ate dinner at Portofino's, and then the buffet on Mexican fiesta night. Portions at Portifino's were small but food was great, and the house wine was also very drinkable. Lunch at the seaside grill was also of a very high standard. Service at both restaurants and bars was great, and the poolside waitresses were fantastic.

Entertainment staff were wonderful - muh better than at Capri - and made a real effort to get to know guests and get people involved in the activities. We took part in beach bolleyball, water polo, tequilla tasting and the Kayak tour, all of which were great fun, and had we been there longer we would have done more.

The negatives...
The resort wasn't finished, which didn't really detract from our stay at all, but just thought i'd mention it. The gardens will take a while to grow, and the road leading to the resort from the highway is little more than a dirt track. They were still sorting out electrical issues when we were there - the fire alarm going off at 7.10am was the lowest point of our stay. Also, take bug spray for the evenings, the mosquitos are annoying!

All in all, Maroma Beach is absolule paradise, and when completed it will be hard to find a better resort in this price band anywhere. We would definately stay there again, and recommend it to anyone looking for white sand, blue sea wonderful food and high quality accomodation.

Xcaret nature parkXcaret nature park

Beach volley ball, fun!Beach volley ball, fun!

Stay Far AwayStay Far Away

Beach at Cancun in the hazeBeach at Cancun in the haze

SOY URUGUAYO Y VOY A CANCUN

by Javier26

PODRIAN DECIRME SI EN NOVIEMBRE ES UNA BUENA FECHA PARA IR A CANCUN????

Re: SOY URUGUAYO Y VOY A CANCUN

by GlobeTrekr

Claro que si, con tequila y las playas, cualquier mes es buena fecha para viajar a Cancun!!

Re: SOY URUGUAYO Y VOY A CANCUN

by Gatopardo

Hola amigo Uruguayo,

Puedes considerar un abrigo por que al parecer este año nevará.
No te creas, no es verdad.

Noviembre comienza a bajar un poquito la temperatura, pero nada invernal todavía. El clima es todavía agradable y muy de playa.

Lo que si te recomiendo monitorear es algún huracán tardío en el Atlántico. La ventaja es que los huracanes son hasta cierto punto predecibles y puedes hacer cambio de planes con, cuando menos, una semana de anticipación.

Disfruta tu viaje en Cancún!

Comments